The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Maelstrom Arena does not need to be nerfed

Solidsnake993
Solidsnake993
✭✭✭
I would like to start off by saying that I really enjoyed Vet Maelstrom. It took me a very long time to build up enough courage to go back in there and push on forth. I have 3 characters 1 stamina nightblade, 1 magicka sorcerer, and 1 magicka templar. The only one that has gear that is up to par is my Nightblade. As you can clearly tell if you have ever done veteran maelstrom on a stamina nightblade it is very difficult. I died so many times when I first began the quest like 6 months ago and I was very hesitant to go back in there. I wanted to put my head through my wall because I was so furious. I wish I had not made my stamina nightblade my main character because I don't hunt for achievements on my other characters and there are some things that I feel like I am not capable of doing. Look at a stamina dragonknight for example. They can pretty much face roll their way through any content in the game. I don't want to be running trials on a stamina build though. Magicka is the best and mainly a Magicka sorcerer is the best. If I would have known any better I would have not waited so long to just start farming gear pieces for my sorcerer. But of course there are some things that takes way too much effort to obtain that, and I don't play those characters enough. Moving on...

I would not have went back into Maelstrom to complete it if a friend of my that was absolutely terrible at this game 4 months ago completed it and is now farming weapons. After some time I started looking up forms that complains about the difficulty, way before I even met her, to feel a sense of relieving the frustration after I have died so many times. I did this because it made me feel better knowing that there were thousands of people in the same situation. BUT that doesn't mean that is how it should be. I am making this post to give a bit of motivation to anybody that wants to QQ about the difficulty. I read a post about 2 months ago that was about maelstrom arena not being for everyone. To be honest that's like freaking saying that cooking or playing an instrument is not for everyone. That's why people tell you to L2P. It's simply because getting good at something takes time and practice. Just because you cannot beat it now does not mean that you will never be able to beat it, ever.
Edited by Solidsnake993 on December 31, 2016 9:27PM
  • susmitds
    susmitds
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly, stamina nightblades are the hardest class to do vMA till you master the arena. But if it's the only class you mastered, then it is better trying to do it on a class you know by heart than on a easier class which you haven't mastered yet.
  • Solidsnake993
    Solidsnake993
    ✭✭✭
    susmitds wrote: »
    Honestly, stamina nightblades are the hardest class to do vMA till you master the arena. But if it's the only class you mastered, then it is better trying to do it on a class you know by heart than on a easier class which you haven't mastered yet.

For about a year and a half that was the only class I have ever played. Then it wasn't until about 4 months ago when I reached like 400 cp where I began making other characters. I know a stamina nightblade better than my other 2 classes. Do you understand how awkward it feels when I go from one of my other two characters? I feel almost as if I'm synced with that character like I'm part of the matrix or something. Of course I want to get better on it.
  • xboxone1Q
    xboxone1Q
    ✭✭✭
    Yes it does
  • Mojmir
    Mojmir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey rich wants to lessen the gap, let's hand them out and make everyone special /sarcaam
  • FriedEggSandwich
    FriedEggSandwich
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How's it being nerfed, apart frm everyone getting 30 more cp? I read something about drop rates being changed slightly, but that's it. I would agree that it doesn't need a specific nerf, more likely a buff cos power creep.
    PC | EU
  •  Panda_iMunch
    Panda_iMunch
    ✭✭✭✭
    vMA is pretty dang easy now a days. After the first run to learn all the mechanics, it becomes second nature to play.
    Yeetus that fetus

Youtube: Pandalius (Panda)
    Twitch: Pandalius
    Beam: Pandalius
    Twitter: Pandalius
  • montiferus
    montiferus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    VMA does NOT need a nerf true but it does need to be a hell of a lot less laggy at least on Xbox. The crap that goes on in there at this point is a joke. Out of my 5 deaths today 3 were purely lag based. For a singular instance it's a joke this is continually an issue.
  • brandonv516
    brandonv516
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I'm with OP (read title wrong at first lol).

I completed vma a couple days ago. It was my first clear that I started working seriously on weeks ago.

I followed guides and still died. I thought it was my gear so I changed that out. I changed skills out. It was very much trial and error.

I've now found what works for me and it took those deaths to experience what I needed to change (and what still needs to change). I've cleared it three times now - my last clear was 2 hours. Weeks to hours.

It's challenging and frustrating and I know when I try it on another class I'm going to have to go through trial and error again until I find what feels right.

I envy players that can do vma without damage shields.
    Edited by brandonv516 on January 8, 2017 9:40PM
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where did they say it was going to get nerfed?
    confused24.gif
  • Solidsnake993
    Solidsnake993
    ✭✭✭
    @SirAndy This is just a post for all of those QQ'ers that don't want to learn how to play the game. I am well aware that they will never make any changes to Maelstrom because they don't care about this game. They will never fix the RNG and add a token system. LOL THEY DUNCARE LOL!

@brandonv516 You didn't read the title wrong. When I made this post I put a click bait title for more views but I just edited it because it was kind of lame.
  • Fvh09NL
    Fvh09NL
    ✭✭✭
    I finally completed it today, my first attempt being just after the orsinium event (yes I know good timing) :)

I do not think it should be nerfed. I was stuck on the last boss for I dunno how long and it was frustrating as hell, but I learned and addapted and I finally beat it. The arena is more about learning the mechanics and priority targets imo, when you do you will finish it :)

It is certainly not too hard, but the room for error is just very small and I guess people go in after watching video's on yt where people burn through everything real quick, and therefore they think it will be easy. It's trial and error-learning in there, so just try it.
    Edited by Fvh09NL on January 10, 2017 3:47PM
  • RazorCaltrops
    RazorCaltrops
    ✭✭✭
    xboxone1Q wrote: »
    Yes it does

If you think it deserves a nerf then why do you even care about ? Easy access to powered mace & shield ?
    PS4 EU
  • Father_X_Zombie
    Father_X_Zombie
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes it does

If you think it deserves a nerf then why do you even care about ? Easy access to powered mace & shield ?

Just ignore this guy, i think hes ether a troll or like 11. Hes always making posts about nerfing VMA because he cant do it on a templar with 50k health. He has like 10 different threads about wanting dragon mounts and even suggested a camel with USA painted on the side lmao
    GT: AK x Zombie

Marcurio Avidius - Breton Sorcerer - The Flawless Conquerer - General
    Raven Avidius - Imperial Nightblade - Stormproof
    Cicero Avidius - Imperial Templar - First Sergeant
    Audens Avidius - Breton Templar - Stormproof
    Jimi Hendrix - Redguard Dragonknight - Stormproof
    Leliana Artaine - Breton Nightblade - Stormproof
    Brutus Decinus - Imperial Sorcerer - Stormproof AD
    Wait aren't you DC - Dark elf Nightblade EP
    Achilleus Infernium - Breton Dragonknight
    Claudia Aurella - Imperial Warden
    DC NA XB1

RIP XB1 NA Chillrend 2015-2017
    Home to emp farmers and roleplayers
    Put out of its misery by Brian Wheeler

• xboxone1Q
    xboxone1Q
    ✭✭✭
    Yes it does

Just ignore this guy, i think hes ether a troll or like 11. Hes always making posts about nerfing VMA because he cant do it on a templar with 50k health. He has like 10 different threads about wanting dragon mounts and even suggested a camel with USA painted on the side lmao

Enjoy your ban to, my point of the threads is to speak out for the ones that won't about vma. Talking crap on a video game forum who is the real loser on here?
  • ChandraNalaar
    ChandraNalaar
    ✭✭✭
    Yes it does

Enjoy your ban to, my point of the threads is to speak out for the ones that won't about vma. Talking crap on a video game forum who is the real loser on here?

Why would he be banned? He didn't say anything wrong.

• Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes it does

VMA is very annoying and frustrating. It's challenging - yes, but it's also stupid with a lot of gimmicks that nearly demand certain build set ups. For example: I spent weeks on Stage 1 unable to beat Max the Many simply because I didn't use puncturing jabs on my build. Then I slotted that and cruised to the stage 4 boss with no deaths (where I died because I did not know I was suppose to run inside the green circle). So I can understand why some would like to see it nerfed without necessarily trying to be a troll. It's too unforgiving of different builds and skill set ups. Also: Dragon Mounts and even a camel with USA on it are not what I would consider trolling suggestions either.

Edited by Jeremy on January 23, 2017 12:05AM
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes it does

He either called the guy a troll or mocked him due to his age simply for saying he would like to see VMA nerfed. Not sure if I would qualify that as wrong - but it certainly wasn't respectful or warranted.

• Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes it does
    Yes it does

Don't worry you're not the only one who isn't thrilled with VMA.

It would be nice if they added another version that was more forgiving and less annoying. Or let the normal version drop the blue equivalents of the Maelstrom weapons. That way people could spend time farming up their weapons without having to subject themselves to the torture.
  • Father_X_Zombie
    Father_X_Zombie
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jeremy wrote: »
    Yes it does

VMA is very annoying and frustrating. It's challenging - yes, but it's also stupid with a lot of gimmicks that nearly demand certain build set ups. For example: I spent weeks on Stage 1 unable to beat Max the Many simply because I didn't use puncturing jabs on my build. Then I slotted that and cruised to the stage 4 boss with no deaths (where I died because I did not know I was suppose to run inside the green circle). So I can understand why some would like to see it nerfed without necessarily trying to be a troll. It's too unforgiving of different builds and skill set ups. Also: Dragon Mounts and even a camel with USA on it are not what I would consider trolling suggestions either.

VMA is fine, if you want to beat it you should have to run a VMA build and learn the mechanics, as well as put in the time and effort. If it takes you weeks to clear a stage then clearly something is wrong. Thousands of people have completed VMA and thousands will in the future, its not fair that players who want a challenge and want to be rewarded will get their content taken away because people just want everything handed to them on a silver platter.

DC NA XB1

• Father_X_Zombie
    Father_X_Zombie
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes it does

@xboxone1Q Lol still here ;)

There are hundreds of VMA videos on youtube, just look one up and follow it.
    Edited by Father_X_Zombie on January 23, 2017 7:37AM

DC NA XB1

• Father_X_Zombie
    Father_X_Zombie
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jeremy wrote: »
    Yes it does

He either called the guy a troll or mocked him due to his age simply for saying he would like to see VMA nerfed. Not sure if I would qualify that as wrong - but it certainly wasn't respectful or warranted.

If someone is asking for USA camels on an MMORPG about the Elder Scrolls and isn't trolling then they have to be quite young. Not trying to be rude to the guy but its true.

DC NA XB1

• GawdSB
    GawdSB
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly if you want to beat VMA you have to work hard at it like everyone else. It took me months to beat VMA for the first time. Now I do the whole thing once a day and could do more but it's just not something that's fun enough for me to continuously grind more than once a day.

Yes it's frustrating but you learn and get better from that frustration.
  • Solidsnake993
    Solidsnake993
    ✭✭✭
    For all of you saying VMA is fine is mostly true but not really because you have to literally go through hell trying to get with a group to farm VO. I tried to do it with agility jewelry and it just wasn't possible because I didn't have enough DPS. Then I start trying to do stuff on vet but all the people that run it on vet would only accept me if I passed a DPS test which was the hard part. All jokes aside it is really easy if you have DPS that is up to par. I'm not freaking joking there is a big difference in difficulty if you have max DPS. It's easier to stay alive when you are just burning things down as they spawn in.
  • Lukums1
    Lukums1
    ✭✭✭✭
    For all of you saying VMA is fine is mostly true but not really because you have to literally go through hell trying to get with a group to farm VO. I tried to do it with agility jewelry and it just wasn't possible because I didn't have enough DPS. Then I start trying to do stuff on vet but all the people that run it on vet would only accept me if I passed a DPS test which was the hard part. All jokes aside it is really easy if you have DPS that is up to par. I'm not freaking joking there is a big difference in difficulty if you have max DPS. It's easier to stay alive when you are just burning things down as they spawn in.

Matey,

If I can clear it with 3 deaths in full training gear (blue) with agility... (IN FIRST PERSON) LOL.

You can too...

You'd be surprised once you notice spawns and taking advantages of sigils at the correct moments how easy things become...
    PS4 Yellow Scum Dominion
    1600+ vMA runs and counting
    Magicka Sorc - Flawless - 544k Score
    Stam Sorc - Flawless - 559k Score
    Stam DK - FLAWLESS 512k Score
    Stam NB - 492k Score - Work in progress
    Magicka Temp - 482k Score

The Ozmeric Dominion (Oceanic) Australian Based Guild

vMA "guru" - VHRC - vSO - vSOHM - vDSA - vAA - vMOL
    The Maelstrom BIBLE for beginners/Flawless Achieve Below
    https://www.twitch.tv/lukumms/v/111730700
    https://www.twitch.tv/videos/181142505

You have vMA questions? Want a guide? Helping hand? PM me!

Returns after 6 months back to back flawless
    https://go.twitch.tv/videos/180384648

• Kneighbors
    Kneighbors
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Think it has to become more casual players friendly. The drops are not rewarding in any case and nerds can always compete who gets the higher score. But I think the entry level has to be adjusted to attract more people to complete it. In the end of the day most of the players come to the game (specially this one) to relax and enjoy. Right now vMA is not casual player friendly at all. If you think it's too easy then you're probably from the top 10% players in ESO, I don't think the game shall be oriented for these players.
  • Kneighbors
    Kneighbors
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lukums1 wrote: »

Matey,

If I can clear it with 3 deaths in full training gear (blue) with agility... (IN FIRST PERSON) LOL.

You can too...

You'd be surprised once you notice spawns and taking advantages of sigils at the correct moments how easy things become...

Man, you're truly devoted ESO gamer, it's apparent by your signature. You don't have to come and brag about how good you are because most players don't spend that amount of time like you in ESO. Maelstrom arena has to be more casual players friendly if you want to attract more people to it. Thats it, only from the point of view of popularity it has to be nerfed.
  • Solidsnake993
    Solidsnake993
    ✭✭✭

Matey,

You can too...

It's extremely difficult relying on resolving vigor as a *** self heal with not max dps as a nightblade.
  • Danksta
    Danksta
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Kneighbors wrote: »
    Think it has to become more casual players friendly. The drops are not rewarding in any case and nerds can always compete who gets the higher score. But I think the entry level has to be adjusted to attract more people to complete it. In the end of the day most of the players come to the game (specially this one) to relax and enjoy. Right now vMA is not casual player friendly at all. If you think it's too easy then you're probably from the top 10% players in ESO, I don't think the game shall be oriented for these players.

This game is casual player friendly. If you think it's not I suggest you check out the various videos on YouTube of players soloing group content. Not everything in this game needs to be aimed for casual players.
    BawKinTackWarDs PS4/NA

• Upright_man
    Upright_man
    ✭✭
    Kneighbors wrote: »

Matey,

You can too...

Man, you're truly devoted ESO gamer, it's apparent by your signature. You don't have to come and brag about how good you are because most players don't spend that amount of time like you in ESO. Maelstrom arena has to be more casual players friendly if you want to attract more people to it. Thats it, only from the point of view of popularity it has to be nerfed.

Lul... People should learn to enjoy a challenge instead of expecting to be able to wear a blindfold and still complete vMA.

It teaches casual players to be better at the game. the normal mode is there for them to experience Maelstrom without the difficulty of veteran mode. If they are casual players why do they need to complete vMA? for the title and achieve?

I consider myself a casual player and although the first clear was difficult, its certainly not impossible. I'm not CP capped, i wasn't in BIS gear and since then its only gotten easier and easier as you are able to identify the risks better and prioritise them accordingly as Lukums said.