The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Change the "Evasion" buff to "Deflection"

Solariken
Solariken
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭
There are tons of threads and comments discussing why Major Evasion is poor design and bad for the game and both PvP/PvE balance, so I won't go too deeply into that here. I want to offer another solution that I think would be a great change.

Replace the 20% passive dodge chance with a 20% chance to deflect direct attacks, causing them to deal 50% less damage.

Additionally, the new Major Deflection buff should be reduced to ~6-8 seconds within Shuffle. Major Evasion could perhaps remain in the game but be exclusive to the Spectre's Eye crafted set to give it unique value as a crafted set.

What do you guys think? Yay or nay?

Edited by Solariken on December 30, 2016 6:14PM

Change the "Evasion" buff to "Deflection" 50 votes

I support this idea.
42%
SolarikenArmitasKetarmishtechnohicAbobDraxysGreenSoup2HoTArbitrator CzirneusmcjdkingParaflexTheMrAfricaAnkael07AstanphaeusArthgJerroJinMoriTreeHugger1alephthiagoalext89 21 votes
I don't like this idea because...
58%
Gilvotharkansas_ESOpjwb16_ESOlolo_01b16_ESOSodanTokGilGaladAzuraKinToRelaxTheBonesXXXRagnaroek93ZounimtwiggzApheriusSkinzzBrrrofskiIshammaelXpoZeD_GoDCyrusAryaFleetwoodSmackKramUzibra 29 votes
  • XpoZeD_GoD
    XpoZeD_GoD
    ✭✭
    It's painful enough when you play as a magicka melee build as it is, if this were to happen then everyone would be running it whether they are magicka or stamina based as it would be a combination of damage and defense.
    Edited by XpoZeD_GoD on December 30, 2016 6:29PM
    Xbox EU
    ~650 CP
    Breton Nightblade (AD)
    Argonian DK (AD) [Tank]
    Altmer Sorcerer (AD)
    Bosmer Nightblade (AD)
    Imperial Templar (AD)
    Dunmer DK (AD)
    Argonian Templar (AD) [Healer]
    Redguard Sorcerer (AD)
    Breton Templar (EP)
    Redguard DK (DC)
    Imperial Sorcerer (EP)
    Khajiit Nightblade (DC)
  • Solariken
    Solariken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I support this idea.
    XpoZeD_GoD wrote: »
    It's painful enough when you play as a magicka melee build as it is, if this were to happen then everyone would be running it whether they are magicka or stamina based as it would be a combination of damage and defense.

@XpoZeD_GoD I'm not sure why you say that - the proposed change is much less powerful than the current Major Evasion.

Major Evasion = 20% chance to avoid 100% damage
    Major Deflection = 20% chance to avoid 50% damage
  •  Czirne
    Czirne
    ✭✭✭✭
    I support this idea.
    I support this idea, but it have to work on magic damage aswell.
    I believe in lagless Cyrodiil!
  • TheBonesXXX
    TheBonesXXX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Passive mitigation based off of RNG is a *** design...

Block, Dodgeroll, Bubble, Armor values, Damage values are fine because they can all be calculated, if you block or dodgeroll you actively mitigate damage.

But Evasion is stupid, because it requires you absolutely zero investment for an absurd amount of mitigation in which no one has control over.

A deflect based off of passive RNG is equally ***, because no one has control over it.

The truth is they should turn off the tab assist and make the game 100 aim based, you missed because you lack the dexterity to hit the target.

That's what make the Elder Scrolls franchise so damn good, I could just shoot a mob in the head with a bow and it'd die from a headshot, the way games ought to be.
  • Solariken
    Solariken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I support this idea.

Block, Dodgeroll, Bubble, Armor values, Damage values are fine because they can all be calculated, if you block or dodgeroll you actively mitigate damage.

But Evasion is stupid, because it requires you absolutely zero investment for an absurd amount of mitigation in which no one has control over.

A deflect based off of passive RNG is equally ***, because no one has control over it.

The truth is they should turn off the tab assist and make the game 100 aim based, you missed because you lack the dexterity to hit the target.

That's what make the Elder Scrolls franchise so damn good, I could just shoot a mob in the head with a bow and it'd die from a headshot, the way games ought to be.

@TheBonesXXX I generally agree with you about excessive use of RNG, however I am trying to offer solutions within the combat design framework ZOS already has. They aren't likely to make many more sweeping changes to combat design. As it stands, Major Evasion is grossly over-performing and has too much control over the outcome of a fight. A minor change to 50% damage reduction would be a massive improvement.
  • Vaoh
    Vaoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't completely agree but this is a good concept for sure. If they implemented your idea I would not be unhappy.
    Edited by Vaoh on December 31, 2016 12:43AM
  • SodanTok
    SodanTok
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Solariken wrote: »

@TheBonesXXX I generally agree with you about excessive use of RNG, however I am trying to offer solutions within the combat design framework ZOS already has. They aren't likely to make many more sweeping changes to combat design. As it stands, Major Evasion is grossly over-performing and has too much control over the outcome of a fight. A minor change to 50% damage reduction would be a massive improvement.

Is it tho. Is it really grossly over-peforming? Does it constantly save you from proc sets, that ARE over performing, or from destro ulti that IS over performing or from all the undodgeable attacks (~50% of all used)? Skill alone isnt really overpeforming.

Look what the skill does now and tell me how your idea is not stupid at all:
    • Right now: 20% chance to avoid 100% dmg and all effects (cc) for 20s
    • Your suggestion: 20% chance to avoid 50% of the damage (but no debuffs, cc, ...) for 6-8 sec

Now tell me, is it really OVERPERFORMING that much that your suggestion is butcher the skill so nobody would even touch it (except stamina medium armor since you know, THEY DONT HAVE ANYTHING ELSE FOR DEFENSE). Do you really see medium armor users running around Cyrodiil winning (not ganking) fights because evasion is over performing?

Im not sure you are even playing real PVP and not some duels.
    The only scenarios where evasion is too good is on people with shield, heavy armor or when fighting 1v1.

//EDIT: Dont take it the wrong way tho. I completly agree shuffle isnt ideal. But making it worse isnt solution. Shuffle is barely good if it procs on one hard hitting attack of 5, even worse if none at all. You cannot just lower the floor and ceiling potential of this skill and call it a day because the ceiling was too high. There are people running with shuffle and heavy armor, either they are totally OP and the worst thing in this game, or shuffle isnt that great. In that case, strip the heavy armor and tell me its as good as it was on it.

//EDIT2: Second thing I dont get is why people keep coming here and offering one crazy solution after another without getting the bigger picture and without getting fact that many more reasonable suggestions were made here and none implemented. If ZoS didnt want to even lower CD of shuffle, it wont definitely make shuffle with lower CD and much much worse effect.
    Like this solution, many times offered, again now: LINK
    It actually makes the effort to make medium armor skill still good on medium armor, not butchering it because its too good on heavy.
    Edited by SodanTok on December 31, 2016 12:53PM
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Is it tho. Is it really grossly over-peforming? Does it constantly save you from proc sets, that ARE over performing, or from destro ulti that IS over performing or from all the undodgeable attacks (~50% of all used)? Skill alone isnt really overpeforming.

Look what the skill does now and tell me how your idea is not stupid at all:
    • Right now: 20% chance to avoid 100% dmg and all effects (cc) for 20s
    • Your suggestion: 20% chance to avoid 50% of the damage (but no debuffs, cc, ...) for 6-8 sec

Now tell me, is it really OVERPERFORMING that much that your suggestion is butcher the skill so nobody would even touch it (except stamina medium armor since you know, THEY DONT HAVE ANYTHING ELSE FOR DEFENSE). Do you really see medium armor users running around Cyrodiil winning (not ganking) fights because evasion is over performing?

Im not sure you are even playing real PVP and not some duels.
    The only scenarios where evasion is too good is on people with shield, heavy armor or when fighting 1v1.

//EDIT: Dont take it the wrong way tho. I completly agree shuffle isnt ideal. But making it worse isnt solution. Shuffle is barely good if it procs on one hard hitting attack of 5, even worse if none at all. You cannot just lower the floor and ceiling potential of this skill and call it a day because the ceiling was too high. There are people running with shuffle and heavy armor, either they are totally OP and the worst thing in this game, or shuffle isnt that great. In that case, strip the heavy armor and tell me its as good as it was on it.

//EDIT2: Second thing I dont get is why people keep coming here and offering one crazy solution after another without getting the bigger picture and without getting fact that many more reasonable suggestions were made here and none implemented. If ZoS didnt want to even lower CD of shuffle, it wont definitely make shuffle with lower CD and much much worse effect.
    Like this solution, many times offered, again now: LINK
    It actually makes the effort to make medium armor skill still good on medium armor, not butchering it because its too good on heavy.

Yes, Shuffle is stupid good. Before the heavy armor buff and proc sets were a thing, we did see medium armor users running around Cyrodiil terrorizing things because the "only" defense (that is if we exclude always being able to dodge, CC break, superior HoTs, mobility, but I digress) is so good that even non medium builds seek to incorporate it.

However, the state of Cyordiil now is such that finely balanced skills don't really matter much anymore. If I got my destro ultimate and you are rooted in a Negate, I win.
  • FearlessOne_2014
    FearlessOne_2014
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All in my opinion that needs to happen to evasion major or minor is for ZOS to increase the costs and decrease the duration in PvP type situations to that of a damage shield. After that Major Evasion will be nearly as balanced as shields. Tho I'd suspect even with the changes I just recommended evasion will still out perform shields just because it's a RNG change to no even take incoming damage in the first place. But in my opinion it would be a step up from with it is now.
  • Qbiken
    Qbiken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It´s basicly a less powerfull wings (dk skilline), removes the unique feeling that dk´s have.
  • Solariken
    Solariken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I support this idea.
    @sodantokb16_ESO I understand why you would be nervous about nerfing a defensive skill, but this suggestion is not that crazy. Yes, Shuffle dodges are highly unpredictable - this one single skill WILL win or lose fights for you in addition to making some people nigh unkillable. I couldn't even count the number of times I would have killed a player (or maybe just not died) if I had been able to hit them with a CC. Often player skill wasn't even a big factor, somebody just got a lucky dodge proc.

The one big change to the skill that absolutely MUST happen in my opinion is to make it a mechanic that does NOT 100% evade an attack - that's what active dodge is for.

Additionally, Shuffle itself would not be gutted by this change - most people would still slot it for the mobility. This skill does way too much for too little investment, ESPECIALLY when paired with Unchained.
  • TheBonesXXX
    TheBonesXXX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I stopped playing after a return due to a combination of proc sets and how *** stupid evasion is. Everytime they balance a patch they just *** up fun specs as it is.

Considering how distant this game already is from the rest of the ES games.

I am not even giving them a chance for eye of the storm, honestly people need to quit playing. Let the game die, make them redo the *** thing and do it right.

I don't get why anyone keeps feeding them money, hand over fist everytime they get an opportunity to pay them money, they just screw the pooch.

Back to the evasion though, is anyone surprised? Instead of making sensible decisions that actually are a benefactor to the base mechanics of the game they add flashy-grossly over animated apocalyptic skills. Then they instead of just removing the damns skills, they make gearsets that make the game perpetually worse.

Then the PVE rabbits *** and moan about how their cool sword mechanics are broken because they cannot be bothered to balance the game around the characters.

The easiest option is to just leave the MMO scene, its a huge, hopeless disappointment; some people in the business need to stay away from it.
  • Strider_Roshin
    Strider_Roshin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I prefer the term "parry" over deflection, but if we were to do this the proc chance would need to be 30% instead of 20%.

Also no reduction in duration.
    Edited by Strider_Roshin on December 31, 2016 3:23PM
  • Solariken
    Solariken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I support this idea.
    I prefer the term "parry" over deflection, but if we were to do this the proc chance would need to be 30% instead of 20%.

The 30% chance could work I think, but duration needs to be analogous to shields. Remember this is a defensive ability with incredibly powerful RNG - I think that pre-buffing this skill should be discouraged. 6-8 seconds is plenty long.
  • Astanphaeus
    Astanphaeus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I support this idea.
    XpoZeD_GoD wrote: »

He said deflect, not reflect. Which is what I'm assuming you are referring to since you mentioned the skill doing damage, which it wouldn't in this scenario.
    Edited by Astanphaeus on December 31, 2016 6:14PM
  • SodanTok
    SodanTok
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @sodantokb16_ESO I understand why you would be nervous about nerfing a defensive skill, but this suggestion is not that crazy. Yes, Shuffle dodges are highly unpredictable - this one single skill WILL win or lose fights for you in addition to making some people nigh unkillable. I couldn't even count the number of times I would have killed a player (or maybe just not died) if I had been able to hit them with a CC. Often player skill wasn't even a big factor, somebody just got a lucky dodge proc.

The one big change to the skill that absolutely MUST happen in my opinion is to make it a mechanic that does NOT 100% evade an attack - that's what active dodge is for.

Additionally, Shuffle itself would not be gutted by this change - most people would still slot it for the mobility. This skill does way too much for too little investment, ESPECIALLY when paired with Unchained.

So? I couldnt even count number of time I would have killed someone if they didnt used skill X. Avoiding that CC is kinda point of this skill and why any of suggestion that remove it, remove point of the skill all together. Why arent you complaing about people that died instantly to you, not getting any lucky proc at all. That is completly fine by you then, skill that does nothing as often as it does a lot.

While I agree that only active defense should avoid CC, 20% chance to avoid cc is hardly even comparable to always avoiding CC with perma block or Immovable potions (and heavy armor skill).

And if you think shuffle wont be gutted by change that makes it worse by like 75%, it only speak that you really arent up to making changes in this game.

Also I dont get why are you talking about how this skill does too much. Are you even using it actively? Stop offering changes to skill that you dont even see from the other side. Talking how something does too much, because you notice it only if it does too much is easy.

tl;dr
    Shuffle is too good when target is lucky, lets change it so its never too good. And when at it, make it absolutely useless when target isn't lucky.
    Edited by SodanTok on December 31, 2016 7:06PM
  • Solariken
    Solariken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I support this idea.

So? I couldnt even count number of time I would have killed someone if they didnt used skill X. Avoiding that CC is kinda point of this skill and why any of suggestion that remove it, remove point of the skill all together. Why arent you complaing about people that died instantly to you, not getting any lucky proc at all. That is completly fine by you then, skill that does nothing as often as it does a lot.

While I agree that only active defense should avoid CC, 20% chance to avoid cc is hardly even comparable to always avoiding CC with perma block or Immovable potions (and heavy armor skill).

And if you think shuffle wont be gutted by change that makes it worse by like 75%, it only speak that you really arent up to making changes in this game.

Also I dont get why are you talking about how this skill does too much. Are you even using it actively? Stop offering changes to skill that you dont even see from the other side. Talking how something does too much, because you notice it only if it does too much is easy.

tl;dr
    Shuffle is too good when target is lucky, lets change it so its never too good. And when at it, make it absolutely useless when target isn't lucky.

@sodantokb16_ESO - there is no "other side" in this debate. I main a Stamplar and have been using this skill since inception. This skill is SO good that anyone who isn't using it is just plain doing it wrong. The skill is too strong, and there is overwhelming agreement on this amongst everyone who understands the mechanics.
  • SodanTok
    SodanTok
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

tl;dr

@sodantokb16_ESO - there is no "other side" in this debate. I main a Stamplar and have been using this skill since inception. This skill is SO good that anyone who isn't using it is just plain doing it wrong. The skill is too strong, and there is overwhelming agreement on this amongst everyone who understands the mechanics.

Of course it is good. If it wasnt good, nobody would use it. What you want is make it garbage. There is nothing really more to that. If you think your suggestion is good, I dont believe that you are medium armor user with ~20k HP.
    This skill is hardly top problem in current meta and you went out of your way not to change it slightly for worse, you went ahead and suggested one of the biggest nerf this game would have seen.
    Edited by SodanTok on December 31, 2016 7:27PM
  • Solariken
    Solariken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I support this idea.

tl;dr

Of course it is good. If it wasnt good, nobody would use it. What you want is make it garbage. There is nothing really more to that. If you think your suggestion is good, I dont believe that you are medium armor user with ~20k HP.
    This skill is hardly top problem in current meta and you went out of your way not to change it slightly for worse, you went ahead and suggested one of the biggest nerf this game would have seen.

You could reduce the skill all the way down to just the snare purge/immunity and stamina users would still slot it. My suggestion would not make it garbage, not even close.
  • SodanTok
    SodanTok
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

tl;dr

You could reduce the skill all the way down to just the snare purge/immunity and stamina users would still slot it. My suggestion would not make it garbage, not even close.

How is that relevant. This and Immovable are the only universally available stam based defensive skills. You can butcher it how much you want, until Immovable is better, people will slot Shuffle.

//EDIT:
    Tell me when EVER in history of ESO, something being worse by at least 50% didnt make that thing a total garbage.

[Edit to remove baiting]
    Edited by [Deleted User] on December 31, 2016 8:20PM
  • ToRelax
    ToRelax
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'm totally up for reducing impact of RNG on combat. This change let's the basic RNG mechanic intact while taking out most of the positive effects when major evasion procs (no cc avoidance, possible (unmitigated) procs by attacks, and higher damage ofc) and crippling Shuffle in particular by reducing the buff's duration.
    DAGON - ALTADOON - CHIM - GHARTOK
    The Covenant is broken. The Enemy has won...

Elo'dryel - Sorc - AR 50 - Hopesfire - EP EU
  • lolo_01b16_ESO
    lolo_01b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'm a big fan of tanking with tava's and currently major evasion is required for this.
    However if active dodging would be changed / improved in a way that allows you to dodge attacks without moving around that much, I wouldn't mind any changes to shuffle.
    Edited by lolo_01b16_ESO on January 2, 2017 2:40PM
  • Solariken
    Solariken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I support this idea.
    ToRelax wrote: »
    I'm totally up for reducing impact of RNG on combat. This change let's the basic RNG mechanic intact while taking out most of the positive effects when major evasion procs (no cc avoidance, possible (unmitigated) procs by attacks, and higher damage ofc) and crippling Shuffle in particular by reducing the buff's duration.

@ToRelax the passive CC avoidance is the most egregious "benefit" that Major Evasion currently offers. I'm confused why you would advocate for reduced RNG but want to keep the passive CC and damage avoidance? That seems highly contradictory.

Also a duration reduction is definitely in order - it's my opinion that it should be a defensive skill, not a pre-buff. Reducing the duration of shields achieved the goal of forcing players to use them defensively - I'm sure the same would happen with Shuffle.
  • Solariken
    Solariken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I support this idea.
    I'm a big fan of tanking with tava's and currently major evasion is required for this.
    However if active dodging would be changed / improved in a way that allows you to dodge attacks without moving around that much, I wouldn't mind any changes to shuffle.

That would be super easy to implement @lolo_01b16_ESO - we already have an animation for a stationary dodge. They could make it so pressing the dodgeroll keybind while not moving does a stationary dodge, and pressing dodgeroll + a movement keybind does an actual roll.
  • AzuraKin
    AzuraKin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    problem with evasion is it says 20% but those who use it in pvp somehow achieve 100% dodge.
    v160 spellsword (nightblade)
    v160 restoration archmage (Templar)
    v160 battlemage (sorcerer)
    v160 warrior (DragonKnight)
    v160 assassin (nightblade)
    v160 swordsman (sorcerer)
  • Ragnaroek93
    Ragnaroek93
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Stupid change that would hurt medium armor builds incredible hard which aren't even in a good spot right now (unless you are a ganker).
    I used to think that PvP was a tragedy, but now I realize, it's a comedy.
  • DannyLV702
    DannyLV702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    They need to completely remove major evasion and just extend the snare immunity by a lot. Like if all the ability did was remove snares for 10 seconds I'd still use it. I mean I honestly only use the ability for the snare removals since I'm dodge rolling every 4 seconds
  • Ishammael
    Ishammael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I agree with the premise: shuffle is absolutely the best defensive skill in the game. It's so good, in fact, that I use it on my mDK.

I also agree with removing RNG from combat... So I have always suggested a change to major evasion to be a flat 1 in 5 dodge, I.e. you dodged the first of every five. That way it's predictable for the user and the opponent.
  • Strider_Roshin
    Strider_Roshin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

The 30% chance could work I think, but duration needs to be analogous to shields. Remember this is a defensive ability with incredibly powerful RNG - I think that pre-buffing this skill should be discouraged. 6-8 seconds is plenty long.

Shields negate all damage. This would negate only half 30% of the time. Having them give the same duration would not be balanced.
    Edited by Strider_Roshin on January 2, 2017 7:23PM
  • AzuraKin
    AzuraKin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ishammael wrote: »
    I agree with the premise: shuffle is absolutely the best defensive skill in the game. It's so good, in fact, that I use it on my mDK.

I also agree with removing RNG from combat... So I have always suggested a change to major evasion to be a flat 1 in 5 dodge, I.e. you dodged the first of every five. That way it's predictable for the user and the opponent.

would be too easy counter, 1 low damage skill followed by 4 high damage skills. best solution. if player a dodges player b's attack, player b gains a 4s accuracy buff against player a negating all chances to dodge damage. this gives the equivalent of 20% dodge but allows player to dodge 20% of attacks regardless number of players involved.
    v160 battlemage (sorcerer)
    v160 warrior (DragonKnight)
    v160 assassin (nightblade)
    v160 swordsman (sorcerer)