The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Improve Writ Rewards

Sweetpea704
Sweetpea704
✭✭✭✭
A great way to make writs more worthwhile is to make the crates with low mats in them raw mats, instead of refined mats. Right now the writs seem a bit overly expensive for what you get in return. Also, all the proc sets have dried up my crafting business of selling set armor in my shop (I can still sell some, but it is slower). But, people need to still improve those proc sets. Giving us a chance at getting tempers is a nicer reward.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its a good idea, and I often wondered why it was not raw mats either.

But, you just know if they offer raw mats, then the Temper drop rate from refining will get Nerfed...
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Sweetpea704
    Sweetpea704
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would agree if you got a temper every time. I would also agree if the low mats crate didn't only contain 25 refined mats. It basically gives you a couple more chances of maybe getting a temper.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would agree if you got a temper every time. I would also agree if the low mats crate didn't only contain 25 refined mats. It basically gives you a couple more chances of maybe getting a temper.

Multiplied by 12 characters. Per Account. It adds up.

• Feric51
    Feric51
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does anyone have some sort of empirical evidence that higher level writs result in a better chance for gold temps or surveys?

I've been lax about doing my writs lately as I'm trying to take advantage of the event xp boost to level some alts up to 50, but when I have done writs, I've never paid attention to the reward rate on my maxed out crafter vs my characters still doing level 1 (iron, maple, hide) writs.

With the level 1 writs you darn near break even on mats with the refined shipment being the same stuff you used to create the items for the writ. Obviously my max crafter using rubes gets a random shipment so all those mats are up in smoke, but I just wondered if there was truly a higher rng chance for surveys, glass motif fragments, or gold temps based on the level of writ you turn in?

Edited by Feric51 on December 30, 2016 8:19PM
    Feric51
    Xbox NA

Darkness Falls: The Crusade survivor (you young kids will never know the struggle of text-based games)

• Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Feric51 wrote: »
    Does anyone have some sort of empirical evidence that higher level writs result in a better chance for gold temps or surveys?

@Feric51

Based on informal testing and limited results to draw a conclusion from, Gold Tempers seem to drop a bit more often on top end writs than on lower end ones. But, it's not like the top end writs are showering me with Gold Tempers lately. In fact, I kind of gave up on them a couple of weeks ago as I was not getting any in the containers. I have not done enough to state categorically one way or the other. I would be willing say it's about equal Temper wise, but that just seems wrong.

As for Surveys, it seems to be about the same. What I am not sure of is does the Survey scale to the Writ Container or the Character. Initially it seems it's the character as I got a Survey on an L1 Writ done on one character and it gave back Ruby Mats in the Survey on my maxed crafter. I need to test this some more with lower level mules. I think I will run all my Mules/Characters through Writs this weekend and see what's what.

In other words, if there is a difference, its not much of one. But I will confirm and let you know.

Edited by Nestor on December 30, 2016 8:29PM

• Sweetpea704
    Sweetpea704
    ✭✭✭✭
    LOL! Okay. Twelve toons every day? Well, you deserve more stuff. I do writs on two toons daily and one more if I am bored that day. I would say you are in the minority and not everyone does that.
  • STEVIL
    STEVIL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Surveys cough up mats based on the character harvesting them, not the writ or crafter that earned them.

Edited by STEVIL on December 31, 2016 7:21AM
    Proudly skooma free while talks-when-drunk is in mandatory public housing.
    YFMV Your Fun May Vary.

First Law of Nerf-o-Dynamics
    "The good way I used to get good kills *with good skill* was good but the way others kill me now is bad."

• newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »

Multiplied by 12 characters. Per Account. It adds up.

Oh my god, do you ever get to do anything else????

I've managed 9 on each account so far, and lately I haven't been online for more than a bit of time in a day (if that).

Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Feric51

It appears that Surveys scale to the Material Level/Character Level of the Gatherer, not the one who turned in the Writ like before. Not sure if this is going to remain this way or not. On my CP Ranked who is doing L1 Writs, the survey had a 50/50 mix of materials.

As for who gets more surveys (low level writs or high level) it does not seem to matter.

Gold Tempers, have been MIA for me with writs for too long to make any statement, but I will say that it seems like the upper end writs have a better chance.
    Edited by Nestor on December 31, 2016 1:13PM

• STEVIL
    STEVIL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    @Feric51

It appears that Surveys scale to the Material Level/Character Level of the Gatherer, not the one who turned in the Writ like before. Not sure if this is going to remain this way or not. On my CP Ranked who is doing L1 Writs, the survey had a 50/50 mix of materials.

As for who gets more surveys (low level writs or high level) it does not seem to matter.

Gold Tempers, have been MIA for me with writs for too long to make any statement, but I will say that it seems like the upper end writs have a better chance.

Agree with all of this except that i am getting golds on a routine (infrequent) basis still but i dont think there is much if any diff between low and high for that.

The biggest identifiable differences i have seen between low equip writs and high equip writs are the repair kits and the mat boxes. Repair kits are all petty for tier-1 writs and grand for tier-10 writs. Shipment boxes are always tier-1 for tier-1 writs and tiers 1-9 for tier-10 writs.

The stray ornate or intricate weapon you get with equip writ turn ins is half of the time your cp and half the time your skill, so a cp 160 doing tier-1s will get rubedite armor/gear piece half the time and iron half the time even though they always used iron.

As for surveys scaling to gatherer - in order to change that back they would have to go back to the old ten levels of each survey model which would really kill the inventories given the around the world survey structure now. i doubt we will see this reversed but anything is possible. Right now its one of the ways folks can influence/control gathering mid-tier mats if they have characters who are not all at top-tier and first tier. need steel? hand the survey to your 20-somethings for zones they know. Even if they dont craft they can get half and half.
    Proudly skooma free while talks-when-drunk is in mandatory public housing.
    YFMV Your Fun May Vary.

First Law of Nerf-o-Dynamics
    "The good way I used to get good kills *with good skill* was good but the way others kill me now is bad."

• BergisMacBride
    BergisMacBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Although I haven't performed a detailed test, anecdotally the gold mats for me drop much more often from my max writs. Surveys drop at the same rate from max or low level writs.

As to surveys scaling to the harvester, I agree with @STEVIL in that changing it to scale to which character receives the survey would be pretty difficult. Either they would have to bind the surveys to each char or completely revert what surveys drop for a given writ and zone, etc... As it is I generally harvest my surveys from low level chars' writs with a max crafting char - the result is my supplies of ruby mats from writs are flush or always run a net positive balance from doing daily writs. The low level mats almost never run out either because those chars get the lowest level mat crates whenever they don't receive a survey.
  • Feric51
    Feric51
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah I knew that surveys scaled to the person harvesting them, not based on the writ they were rewarded for. I just wondered if there was a greater chance to get surveys from higher level writs.

That being said, I seemed to notice a higher chance for gold temps on the max level writs, but did happen to get a psiijic fragment from a mid level (fighter's guild supply turn in) provisioning writ last night. So at least those aren't restricted to max level.

Thanks for the responses guys.
    Feric51
    Xbox NA

Darkness Falls: The Crusade survivor (you young kids will never know the struggle of text-based games)

• SpAEkus
    SpAEkus
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am torn. I am only running Max Consumable writs, and I enjoy the Kuta, but I wonder if the XP reward could be either bumped or turned into something else.

The XP reward is ~3288 (have to verify next batch) on CP160 with max passives, so 3 a day x my 5 max alts adds up a bit (~49320) but it also chips away at my Enlightenment that I am storing for pure CP grind on my Main.

In the end it all goes towards that next CP, but I would almost rather it be a different reward.
  • c363b
    c363b
    ✭✭✭
    I think the current implementation of shipments in writ rewards is ridiculous. Since shortly after shipments were introduced, my 5 toons doing daily writs have never received a shipment with materials at their current crafting or character levels. Getting some random level mats is OK, but at least some should be at levels appropriate to the character. Though the surveys give mats useful to the characters, they are much less common in the rewards than are the shipments.
  • Feric51
    Feric51
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    c363b wrote: »
    I think the current implementation of shipments in writ rewards is ridiculous. Since shortly after shipments were introduced, my 5 toons doing daily writs have never received a shipment with materials at their current crafting or character levels.

That is by design. It was a way to combat the complaint of not being able to farm lower level mats when your level and crafting passives are above the materials you want to craft.

For example, on my crafter at CP160+ and all crafting passives maxed, the only nodes I will ever find in the landscape will be max tier (ie. rubedite, ancestor silk, ruby ash, etc), but upon turning in all writs, I will either be awarded a survey or a shipment of lower tier mats respective to the writ being turned in. This could be anything from maple to nightwood or anything in between, but it will never be ruby ash... you get that easily enough by farming.

Again, this was done for max level crafters who might be tasked with creating lower tier gear for an alt or a new character and have no way to farm it for themselves. So if you're waiting for a shipment of material that matches the level of the stuff you used for your writ, might as well start searching for the last digit of Pi, because it's never going to happen.
    Feric51
    Xbox NA