The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

PvP vs PvE Rewards. Where's the Beef Queeny?

Fudly_budly
Fudly_budly
✭✭✭✭
First, I'm not trying to troll or annoy anyone. Second, if this topic has already been thoroughly discussed in another thread I apologize. Third, I am totally awful at PvP. I freely admit that I am horrible. I have the wrong gear. I am not spec'd out in any optimal way.

A few days ago I decided to try to complete all of the anchors in Tamriel to earn the Savior of Nirn and while the 45 anchors in PvE were not much of a challenge to complete, it seems that I have to travel to Cyrodiil and complete those anchors as well. Oh goody!

Several months ago I dabbled in PVP with my wood elf archer night blade as a nearly useless member of a PVP Guild whose members were at least gracious enough to tolerate me. Briefly, I'm CP 430 bow/2 hand running a combination of Red Mountain And Sword Singer gear. Anyway, it's off to Cyrodiil for me.
I selected the Aldmeri Dominion Haderus campaign as it seemed the least painful of any option. The campaign I joined had about four days until completion. Fortunately, I had already completed three of the anchors so only seven the go. It only took about five minutes for me to realize the futility of my quest.

Rather than simply abandoning Cyrodiil I opted to play a while to see what kind of rewards I could earn. I began traveling to AD keeps and preparing walls and doors for the hasslefree AP. I won't bore you with the PVP play-by-play for the next three days but I did achieve rewards tier three and AD won this round of Haderus. On a side note, I actually scored one kill by sniping some other poor squishy guy during a siege.

Okay, time for Queen Ayrenn to pay up. So, my stunning reward's: 20 keep wall repair kits, epic marksman impenetrable arm cops (sold for ~2k gold), and gold payout of 4200. Are you kidding me? Seriously?

By way of comparison, last night I ran the Jagged Grotto and nearby dolmen for about three hours. In that time I earned a spinners epic necklace and two spinners epic rings. These three highly desirable items alone will sell through Guild traders at just shy of 60,000 gold. Not to mention all the other sellable and decon for mats stuff. I'll net 100k with no sweat.

My PVE heart's totally broken for you PVPers. I hope whatever fixes Zos implements for PVP include a massive total upgrading of the reward system. You guys are getting totally hosed!
Rule #1: RL trumps gaming.
Rule #2: True immersion is RL.
Rule #3: RL lag is wonderful.
Rule #4: People matter. Pixels do not.
  • Veraen
    Veraen
    ✭✭
    I've never really considered Cyrodil as a profit engine, so your comparison is kinda weird. For me, it's all about advancing the skill lines. Some of those abilities are absolutely incredible, such as war horn for more critical damage and a stamina group heal. I suppose once I have the skills I want, I might begin to want better rewards but to be honest, I'll probably just never go back.
    Veræn → XB1/NA
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Veraen wrote: »
    I've never really considered Cyrodil as a profit engine, so your comparison is kinda weird. For me, it's all about advancing the skill lines. Some of those abilities are absolutely incredible, such as war horn for more critical damage and a stamina group heal. I suppose once I have the skills I want, I might begin to want better rewards but to be honest, I'll probably just never go back.

I agree with this. Cyrodiil may not be a great way to make gold, certainly not if you're farming Dolmens (for gear that is not very popular) and repairing walls. However, skilled pvp players can likely earn AP at an astonishing rate and that AP can be turned into items when in turn can become gold. Your rate of return is based on how much you want to devote to min/maxing your AP gains. Decide why you are in pvp, whether it's just to get skills or advance the map or do quests or whatever. Just know that not all the things you do in Cyrodiil will give all types of rewards equally.
  • Fudly_budly
    Fudly_budly
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the perspective.

ZOS seems to have overlooked or disregarded the "plunder-of-war." Some call it spoils. Perhaps the inclusion of loot chests at keeps, alliance npc gear drops, and/or Telvar mechanics might draw more players into PVP.
    Note: I'm not even hinting at players looting players.
  • User_Name
    User_Name
    ✭✭✭
    PVP rewards are substandard, but I think that's intended. It's mostly prestige/competition/enjoyment of the game mode that keeps people around. Maybe that's a contributing factor to the altogether more friendly atmosphere in PVP-land.

On PC (Azura) I once grinded my butt off solo to get in the top 2% of a month-long campaign my side won, and I was rewarded with a Legendary Well-Fitted Helm of Fury and 4 other equally useless items and 15K gold. For a full month of actively PVP'ing several hours every day...

On PS4 I've made the same mistake and started to pay attention to leaderboard progression in the hope of RNGesus blessing me with a sweet reward, albeit on a week-long campaign, and the only non-worthless reward so far has been a single Legendary Leki necklace that I've put up for sale in the hope it will net me 20- 30K or something like that. This time for a full week of competing on the most populated PVP server.

I would like it if the top 2% end-of-campaign rewards only consisted of Legendary jewelry and some gold, and never the useless armor with bad traits.
  • Veraen
    Veraen
    ✭✭
    ZOS seems to have overlooked or disregarded the "plunder-of-war." Some call it spoils. Perhaps the inclusion of loot chests at keeps, alliance npc gear drops, and/or Telvar mechanics might draw more players into PVP.
    I actually really like your ideas. It would be awesome to get a chance at epic or legendary jewelry when you takeover a keep. I mean, it's a hell of a lot harder than clearing a dark anchor. Last night while zerging all over Cyrodil I thought about this and can't deny you have a valid point. Thanks a lot, now I'm totally dissatisfied with the rewards! Haha
    Veræn → XB1/NA
  • Veraen
    Veraen
    ✭✭
    User_Name wrote: »
    On PC (Azura) I once grinded my butt off solo to get in the top 2% of a month-long campaign my side won, and I was rewarded with a Legendary Well-Fitted Helm of Fury and 4 other equally useless items and 15K gold. For a full month of actively PVP'ing several hours every day...

On PS4 I've made the same mistake and started to pay attention to leaderboard progression in the hope of RNGesus blessing me with a sweet reward, albeit on a week-long campaign, and the only non-worthless reward so far has been a single Legendary Leki necklace that I've put up for sale in the hope it will net me 20- 30K or something like that. This time for a full week of competing on the most populated PVP server.

I would like it if the top 2% end-of-campaign rewards only consisted of Legendary jewelry and some gold, and never the useless armor with bad traits.
    Exciting! Please forgive my ignorance, as I only just started in Cyrodil a couple days ago. Are we always awarded some bonus at the end of the campaign? Is the reward greater based on the length of the campaign? Can you tell me more or provide a link to a page with more details?
    Veræn → XB1/NA
  • Fudly_budly
    Fudly_budly
    ✭✭✭✭
    Veraen wrote: »
    User_Name wrote: »

Exciting! Please forgive my ignorance, as I only just started in Cyrodil a couple days ago. Are we always awarded some bonus at the end of the campaign? Is the reward greater based on the length of the campaign? Can you tell me more or provide a link to a page with more details?

there are 3 award levels you progress by earning AP. top 2% of ap earners score legendary. your progress is tracked on the summary tab of campaign window. level one:keep wall repair kit; level two blue gear, and level 3 epic gear. all hidden behind RNG so usually crap.
  • User_Name
    User_Name
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Campaigns (some of the info is slightly outdated)

You get awarded more pieces completing the 30-day campaigns but if they are as de-populated as on PS4, it's going to be a very boring and lonely.
    Edited by User_Name on December 30, 2016 6:20PM