Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Question about scaling and bosses

joejv_ESO
joejv_ESO
Do we have to be at a certain level to defeat some bosses (e.g. lvl 50)? I thought the One Tamriel was supposed to fix that.
  • Castagere
    Castagere
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good question i would like to know this also. I know some dungeons are for groups but sometimes its hard to tell which. Like undaunted quest are not solo friendly either. I wish we could easily tell what are for solo and groups.
  • joejv_ESO
    joejv_ESO
    Yeah, also wondering if we are able to bring help for some of these quests.
  • Rev Rielle
    Rev Rielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The basic rule to follow is: If the icon has a + (plus) with it, it is designed for a group.

crxwmtg.png

Trials will have + to the bottom right of their door. The door also has a skull and horns at the top.
    Classical dungeons will always have a + to the bottom right of their square door icon. Spindleclutch in Glenumbra is an example of this.
    Public dungeons have a cave-like entrance. There is usually one public dungeon in each map, the can be done solo if you are experienced, though each have a group challenge within them. Bad Man's Hollows in Glenumbra is an example of this type of dungeon.
    Group Delves are shown on your map and compass by a torch with a + as part of it. They are mainly found to date in Craglorn. Hircine's Hunt up the river from Belkarth is an example of this type of dungeon.
    Solo Delves are shown on your map and compass by a torch. There are multiple solo delves in each map. Illessan Tower just east of Daggerfall in Glenumbra is an example of this type of delve.

Now in all these examples you have the choice to go in solo or with a group, just note that the dungeon does not scale to the number of players you have in your party. Your character - regardless of their level - roughly scales to the level of the monsters; That is one of the changes One Tamriel brought about.

Now to determine whether a quest is designed for a group or solo, you can check in your journal. Next to the level for the quest there is often an icon that will highlight it's target: Group or solo. Note that this is not always the case however.

hqrbu3P.png

Hope that helps.
    If you can be anything, be kind.
  • joejv_ESO
    joejv_ESO
    Yes, it does. Thanks! To confirm, does that mean if it is a solo quest, you will not be allowed to bring friend?

• Rev Rielle
    Rev Rielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    joejv_ESO wrote: »
    Yes, it does. Thanks! To confirm, does that mean if it is a solo quest, you will not be allowed to bring friend?

No it doesn't.
    These days the game is very good at enabling you to quest with a friend almost anywhere.
  • Jciampi
    Jciampi
    ✭✭✭
    The only dungeons you can't solo will be labeled as "Solo" when you enter them. The only ones I really saw like this were Harborage missions for the main story. Anything else, it's really meant to play as a group. It's an MMO. I mean I played the game entirely solo up until a month or so ago. I'm loving group content. Just can be hard to find people you can play well with... And who actually use the microphone.
  • JkahrrRadnar
    JkahrrRadnar
    ✭✭✭
    Also the PvE group bosses are typically meant to be done with other players, even if you don't have a 'formal' group. :)
  • joejv_ESO
    joejv_ESO
    Jciampi wrote: »
    The only dungeons you can't solo will be labeled as "Solo" when you enter them. The only ones I really saw like this were Harborage missions for the main story. Anything else, it's really meant to play as a group. It's an MMO. I mean I played the game entirely solo up until a month or so ago. I'm loving group content. Just can be hard to find people you can play well with... And who actually use the microphone.

Cool. I'm new to the MMO scene and a casual gamer, but loving ESO. There are just some quests I can't finish alone. I have joined a couple of guilds, but like you said, hard to find players. You have to use an outside service with PC/Mac like Discord. I'll use the mic if others are on the same service. Using with the console is easy but I don't play that one much.
  • joejv_ESO
    joejv_ESO
    Also the PvE group bosses are typically meant to be done with other players, even if you don't have a 'formal' group. :)

Thanks Sarah. *sigh* I'll keep looking for help to get past my quest bosses. Although I've seen some people online get past them. I'm assuming they are high level with lots of cool/powerful gear. Guess I'll have to continue the grind :disappointed:
  • JkahrrRadnar
    JkahrrRadnar
    ✭✭✭

Thanks Sarah. *sigh* I'll keep looking for help to get past my quest bosses. Although I've seen some people online get past them. I'm assuming they are high level with lots of cool/powerful gear. Guess I'll have to continue the grind :disappointed:

Hmm, what's your lvl/class? And what kind of problems are you having? (Eg. does your char take too much damage, run out of resources or not deal enough damage etc) C:
  • joejv_ESO
    joejv_ESO
    Too much damage. I'm lvl 41 Night Blade. Certainly will suffer more from fire, since I'm a vampire. I've got decent armor. I've added passive skills to those. Not sure what things I need to do to go about getting better armor and weapons.
  • JkahrrRadnar
    JkahrrRadnar
    ✭✭✭
    Hm, under lvl50 ime gear is not the issue. I've been lvling my Templar without looking at sets etc and it's completely fine.
    Since I haven't played NB there's unfortunately no specific advice I can give, except a) decide if you go stam or magicka and stick to it (don't 50/50 it or smt) and b) get skills that include self-healing and put them into your rotation. There's sure to be loads of build guides for solo NBs, so I'm sure you'd have luck finding a good combo. :)
    Edited by JkahrrRadnar on December 30, 2016 11:41AM
  • Rev Rielle
    Rev Rielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Too much damage. I'm lvl 41 Night Blade. Certainly will suffer more from fire, since I'm a vampire. I've got decent armor. I've added passive skills to those. Not sure what things I need to do to go about getting better armor and weapons.

It might be the way you fight too:

Almost all enemies have an attack (or attacks) that should be blocked/interrupted/moved-away from etc. These attacks are usually their most important (they do little damage outside of them). Now for normal enemies on landscape you can get by easily by not worrying about these at all. But as the enemies get tougher you have to pay more and more attention, till you get to the other end of the spectrum where Veteran dungeon bosses and Trial bosses will kill your character immediately unless you react appropriate to their combat skills.

So paying attention to the enemy, moving out of 'red' (Don't stand in Stupid), blocking Heavy attacks, and bashing/interrupting interuptible attacks can make a huge different to your success in battle. All these attacks are telegraphed in some way by the enemies.

There is a nice little beginners guide here to some basic combat mechanics that can help in battle.

Maybe that might help you a little in those tough battles you are facing. Additionally if you get familiar with those mechanics you will be in a great position when attempting more difficult content. Hope that helps.
  • Jciampi
    Jciampi
    ✭✭✭
    Cool. I'm new to the MMO scene and a casual gamer, but loving ESO. There are just some quests I can't finish alone. I have joined a couple of guilds, but like you said, hard to find players. You have to use an outside service with PC/Mac like Discord. I'll use the mic if others are on the same service. Using with the console is easy but I don't play that one much.

ESO is very fun. Even more fun when you find the right group of people to play with.

If you're losing to a boss, don't over look leveling up or getting more skill points. Sometimes you just aren't at the right level. Make sure to eat food or drink. Most people use food as it buffs health, Stam and magic max amount. Drinks are nice but they buff health, Stam and magic recharge. I'd rather have more of it than recharge it faster. They can make HUGE difference in a fight. I eat purple food now (green modifies one attribute, blue two, purple all three) that boost my health 5k and Stam and magic 4k. Huge help.

Also keep in mind world bosses, the skull and X bones on the world map,are meant to be beaten by groups. Prior to 1 tamriel I could beat many by myself but many more would crush me, I'm looking at you wisp mothers in reapers march. Now they all have 5 million health. Single shotting them means you gotta be great DPS. They really are meant for at least two. And one world boss in each area was super buffed with adds with one tamriel update. Meaning they are made for like 4 to 8 people to take it on at a minimum.

If you play pick up groups on group finder you can find your way into nice guilds or good groups of friends that are fun to play with. It's all luck. I've met some awesome people to run with.
  • joejv_ESO
    joejv_ESO
    Yes, I have found some great people. One person was able to help me out on one of my quests. I do feel bad for asking for help. Like I should have the right equipment or level myself. Working on leveling up all this week. Breda's brew is helping. What is DPS?
  • joejv_ESO
    joejv_ESO
    Rev Rielle wrote: »

Almost all enemies have an attack (or attacks) that should be blocked/interrupted/moved-away from etc. These attacks are usually their most important (they do little damage outside of them). Now for normal enemies on landscape you can get by easily by not worrying about these at all. But as the enemies get tougher you have to pay more and more attention, till you get to the other end of the spectrum where Veteran dungeon bosses and Trial bosses will kill your character immediately unless you react appropriate to their combat skills.

So paying attention to the enemy, moving out of 'red' (Don't stand in Stupid), blocking Heavy attacks, and bashing/interrupting interuptible attacks can make a huge different to your success in battle. All these attacks are telegraphed in some way by the enemies.

There is a nice little beginners guide here to some basic combat mechanics that can help in battle.

Maybe that might help you a little in those tough battles you are facing. Additionally if you get familiar with those mechanics you will be in a great position when attempting more difficult content. Hope that helps.

Thanks for the guidance. I am reviewing the guides!
  • Rev Rielle
    Rev Rielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rev Rielle wrote: »

Thanks for the guidance. I am reviewing the guides!

Great! I hope you find it useful. Also the combat section of the in-game Help (F1 default) has some nice overviews also.
  • JkahrrRadnar
    JkahrrRadnar
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I have found some great people. One person was able to help me out on one of my quests. I do feel bad for asking for help. Like I should have the right equipment or level myself. Working on leveling up all this week. Breda's brew is helping. What is DPS?

DPS = Damage per Second
    It's how you measure the offensive qualities of a character/build. In MMOs you've got the 'holy trinity' of roles:
    1. DD = Damage Dealer whos main responsibility it is to deal damage and kill the mobs. They should have high DPS to do their job well and Night Blade is typically a DD class.
    -> Strength: High damage output (kill them before they kill you). / Weakness: Doesn't take damage well.
    2. Healer who is responsible for buffing the group/debuffing mobs and casting heals to keep players alive. In ESO for example Templar class.
    -> Strength: Great support capabilities and survivability through self-healing. / Weakness: Doesn't take direct damage well and doesn't have super high DPS either.
    3. Tank who is responsible for keeping the attention of mobs/bosses (taunting them) so the others can do their job. High resistance/self-healing/buffs to take damage without kneeling over. In ESO for example Dragonknight class.
    -> Strength: Doesn't die easily. / Weakness: Typically doesn't do much damage, solo fights can get long.

-because you said you're new to MMOs, just in case you didn't know. And I'm sure other ppl could explain it better but this is a basic run-down of it.

The role you take largely determines your playstyle, your needed skills and your gear. And as you see, the strength/weaknesses of the roles fit together in such a way that they work best in a team. (The dungeon finder, for example, makes 1H+1T+2DD teams for this reason.)
    -Don't feel bad asking for help! Some content is simply designed this way. :)
  • AlwaysOnFire
    AlwaysOnFire
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you feel shy about asking for help, depending on the kind of boss you might be able to wait for several players to assemble. Thanks to some of the new content (mages and fighters guild daily quests) certain public dungeons, dolmens, will have people sent to them of all levels. Also, the set drops that some overland PvE bosses have a chance to bestow will cause people to go fight them, who you can work together with.

One Tamriel has its setbacks for some people, and it did change a lot of content to be harder to solo, but it also does attract players back to zones they'd have abandoned after questing there and you can take advantage of their presence to do the content.