Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Question About Crafting

xXKillbotXx1999
So, I'm working to become a master blacksmith. I'm CP150 but only have level 8 of the Metalworking skill. I can't find any quicksilver ore to complete crafting writs because the only ore that spawns in my instance is Rubedite ore. Is there any way that I can find quicksilver without having to buy it?
  • Pheefs
    Pheefs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, not really.

The writ itself DOES have a chance to give you some lower level materials as a reward... irony!
    Unfortunately you'll need to go get some ingots from a trader.
    { Forums are Weird........................ Nerfy nerfing nerf nerfers, buff you b'netches!....................... Popcorn popcorn! }
  • xXKillbotXx1999
    Pheefs wrote: »
    No, not really.

The writ itself DOES have a chance to give you some lower level materials as a reward... irony!
    Unfortunately you'll need to go get some ingots from a trader.

Ah, that's a shame. Thanks for answering my question though!
  • FoolishHuman
    FoolishHuman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Half of the ore nodes should spawn to your character level and half to your crafting level, so you should find some quicksilver if you keep looking. That's my experience at least.
  • xXKillbotXx1999
    Half of the ore nodes should spawn to your character level and half to your crafting level, so you should find some quicksilver if you keep looking. That's my experience at least.

I think I've read that somewhere, but every time I see an ore node it's for my level. Maybe I just have bad luck. I do tend to be pretty unlucky at dice...

Anyways, thanks for your reply!
  • Pheefs
    Pheefs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @FoolishHuman is right, IIRC there's a chance for the node to spawn to either your combat level OR your crafting level.
    but at CP150 & Metalworking 8 you might have just leveled past Quicksilver, are you finding ANY voidstone?
    { Forums are Weird........................ Nerfy nerfing nerf nerfers, buff you b'netches!....................... Popcorn popcorn! }
  • xXKillbotXx1999
    Pheefs wrote: »
    @FoolishHuman is right, IIRC there's a chance for the node to spawn to either your combat level OR your crafting level.
    but at CP150 & Metalworking 8 you might have just leveled past Quicksilver, are you finding ANY voidstone?

Last time I found Voidstone was at CP140 -- CP149. When I turned CP150 it all became Rubedite.
  • Cavarka
    Cavarka
    ✭✭✭
    I just decoed a ton of stuff to level, didn't do any writs, so that's an option as well. Takes a bit, but leaves you with a ton of mats and tempers.
  • xXKillbotXx1999
    Cavarka wrote: »
    I just decoed a ton of stuff to level, didn't do any writs, so that's an option as well. Takes a bit, but leaves you with a ton of mats and tempers.

The only problem with that is I don't get anything that's made from quicksilver anymore, since everything's scaled to my level. I think that's the one crappy thing about the One Tamriel update, unless I'm just missing something.
  • EldritchPenguin
    EldritchPenguin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If your crafting skill and your character's level outlevel the writ, then you can abandon the quest and accept it again.
    Lilelle Adlis - Dark Elf Dragonknight

Vaynothah Sailenar - Dark Elf Templar

Sherivah Telvanni - Dark Elf Sorcerer

Nephiah Telvanni - Dark Elf Nightblade