The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

New crafted gear given random colors?

cwy
cwy
✭✭
It seems when you craft an item and before you dye it, the item is given a random color. A cuirass may be blue after you crafted it, or green, or black, red... It causes a problem when you later dye it. If a cuirass is in blue, and you later dye it in red, you may not get red. You may get an "off-color" red, or some other odd color. It seems your dye is mixed in with the existing color and you end up with a different color. What's up with this?
  • Karius_Imalthar
    Karius_Imalthar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The color is typically based on the material used to craft it. For example, a rubedite piece of armor will have a reddish color but a voidsteel will have a darker color.
  • cwy
    cwy
    ✭✭
    Is there a reason why my newly crafted rubedite axe has a green blade? I like outfits with matching colors, but since you can't dye weapons, I have to dye my outfits according to the color my weapons end up with. If I get a green axe, I dye my outfits with greens to match it.
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    cwy wrote: »
    Is there a reason why my newly crafted rubedite axe has a green blade? I like outfits with matching colors, but since you can't dye weapons, I have to dye my outfits according to the color my weapons end up with. If I get a green axe, I dye my outfits with greens to match it.

Agreed ... and there are multiple other threads asking for weapon dyes. However, ZOS is still mulling the idea over.

Was the axe possibly made in Glass motif? The default on weapons seems to be green regardless of the raw material on that crafted set.

I try not to get wound up in the weapon color matching the armor color. Too restrictive IMO ...
  • cwy
    cwy
    ✭✭
    I haven't gotten the glass motif yet. My green axe is of ancient elf style, as are my armor items. I dye with greens and also colors that go well with green. My current outfit has grey (which looks silver) as the dominant color, green as secondary color, and gold linings. I use mostly uncommon and rare colors that I got from achievements.
  • jellicles
    jellicles
    ✭✭✭

Did you apply a poison enchantment to the axe? I think the weapon colour will reflect the current enchantment or poison assignment.
  • cwy
    cwy
    ✭✭
    jellicles wrote: »

Did you apply a poison enchantment to the axe? I think the weapon colour will reflect the current enchantment or poison assignment.

It doesn't have poison, but it does have a shock enchantment that gives it a "sparkly" appearance.