Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Type of Set. Dropped or crafted?

KingofAnnwn
KingofAnnwn
✭✭✭
Morning all, as the title really. I'm a Redguard Stamplar at CP83 with 2H and Bow. What type of sets would suit me best. I play mainly PVE, majority of it solo.
Edited by KingofAnnwn on December 19, 2016 9:06AM
Xbox One (Very Rare)
DC - Gwenhwyfar Gwraig - Redguard Vamp Stamplar
DC - Kiarina Florcht - Redguard Stamden
PC
AD - Lilwen Haf - Altmer Mag Sorc
EP - Tarmena Diloren - Dunmer Magblade
DC - Eletti Ghellon - Redguard Stamblade
PS5
DC - Arianwen Adahl - Breton Magcro

Best Answer

• davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hello. I wouldn't suggest investing too heavily in gear until you get to c160 and are picking up max level items. It shouldn't take you too long to grind up to c160 - make sure to get the double xp until 1/04 by drinking the mead at the new life quest tent. Stack this with some psijic and you'll fly to 160.

For a setup like yours, I wear either two five piece sets and a monster helm or shoulder (5/5/1) or a monster helm set in a 5/4/2 config. Usually I equip my guys with one craft set and one drop set. This makes things easier because only drop sets have jewelry, and it's sometimes a pain in the butt to get good weapons via drops. If it's a toon I play a lot, I use a craft set that's a good base and just make all pieces in that, so that they can carry this and a couple of drop sets if they need multiple configs (like they have marksman for box pvp, but then also viper for pve, or whatever).

As a stamplar, some sets to consider:

Crafted

Hundings Rage: one of the best stam base sets. Pro: massive weapon damage on 5th trait. Cons: double crit chance for other buffs, meh if you don't need the crit help.

Night mother: pro: 5th trait lowers enemy resistance, which makes this a good group pve set...enemies are weaker for everyone. Cons: double crit like Hundings, and there are better buffs for solo play than the lower resistance.

Morkuldin: people ignore this set because the 5thntrait is silly. However, the sword works well, procs often if you thread, and gets in 8-10 hits for 4-6k damage while active. Pros: good dps boost, the 2-4 traits are desirable. This is a great set to have 4 pieces of in a 5/4/2 config. Then is usually carry a fifth for when i want to play with the silly sword for fun.

Willows path: a generally overlooked set that's all about regen. If you are playing extended battles and having resource issues at all, this is the one. I find it's regen mostly useful in something like maelstrom arena, really tough 4 person pve or pvp. For a stamplar it might be less useful, since you get repentance.

Drop

There are a ton of drop sets now, and which you want depends on where your character is weak and how you play. Go through the list on the ESO wiki to see what's out there. Some sets of note:

Briar Heart: I love this set for stamblades and Stamplars. But it really needs a crit chance of 70+ to be most effective. For a stamplar, this probably means pairing with a craft set that has a double crit buff, AND having cammo hunter on your attack bar. When it works well, it really buffs your dps and health sustain. Cons...the jewelry is an AWFUL grind. Prepare to pay big bucks in guild stores for purple robust.

Seventh legion: I'm collecting this for a stam DK...looks great for a stamplar too. It's like briar for a tanky build since you get the buff when you take damage. It's heavy, so if you wear five pieces you'd want three jewelry and two heavy pieces.

Dragr hulk: there are some new sets that forego specialty traits and offer just straight fighting buffs. This set is a massive boost to max stamina. Remember...how hard you hit is a function of max stam. So this set would interest me for a stamplar, and I'd totally try giving up something like "your poison attacks do blah and blah" for more power on every single jab.

Temp sets:

Baharas Curse: because you're not 160, you don't want to shell out thousands for a set. This might be a good placeholder, and I actually liked this one for my builds while I was grinding champion points. The defiled ground or whatever they call it procs ALL THE TIME, especially with jabs. It makes you dang near immortal. You get a piece for almost any thieves guild quest or daily reward, and it's dirt cheap in guild stores. The jewelry only comes in blue, but it's not that big a difference.

So, if it were me, I'd wear Hundings / Baharas for grinding up CPs, then hund/briar or seventh legion for tough pve.

Monster: if you have an odd slot, toss on a monster shoulder or helm. Until you get to c160 there's no reason to grind for them because a c83 monster shoulder is pretty useless. Run some undaunted dailies and use your key in the biggest chest...that has molag kena, which most people like best as a one piece item...it gives you both weapon and spell damage.
    Answer ✓
  • KingofAnnwn
    KingofAnnwn
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the very informative post. I try to keep the XP buff going when I play, which is normally a couple of hours a night now. Skimming threads on here ive read about waiting until CP160 for sets. I can craft 6 trait sets at the moment. But I'll just use dropped pieces for now until I hit CP160.

Thanks again :)
    Edited by KingofAnnwn on December 20, 2016 10:24AM
    Xbox One (Very Rare)
    DC - Gwenhwyfar Gwraig - Redguard Vamp Stamplar
    DC - Kiarina Florcht - Redguard Stamden
    PC
    AD - Lilwen Haf - Altmer Mag Sorc
    EP - Tarmena Diloren - Dunmer Magblade
    DC - Eletti Ghellon - Redguard Stamblade
    PS5
    DC - Arianwen Adahl - Breton Magcro