Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Crafting writ survey scaling

Hybridizati0nn
Hello,
does anyone know how the crafting survey rewards scale? Are they scaled according to my character level, my crafting perks or what? Are the rewards scaled upon receiving the survey or upon harvesting it?

Especially interested in a few scenarios:
If i were to transfer a survey map to a lower level character for it to pick it up, would I get lower level mats?

Or if I were to save the map till my main is higher level, would I then get higher level materials?

Also is there any difference in this regarding the survey type (consumables / equipment writs)?
PS4 | EU

Captain Slack Arrow | Bosmer | BowSorc (AD)
Gandalf the Prey | Nord | Tank DK (EP)

Best Answer

• helediron
    helediron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The survey maps scale to the character that harvests them. And of course alchemy surveys are just flowers - there is no scale.

I harvest only with max level character with all crafting passives, so i don't know about scaling down. But i have several lower level crafters that transfer the maps to the maxed farmer, and the scaling up works.

And now i have to lie down from the shock of thinking about making top tier writs with rubedite and farming the survey with level 3 toon...
    On hiatus. PC,EU,AD - crafting completionist - @helediron 900+ cp, @helestor 1000+ cp, @helestar 800+ cp, @helester 700+ cp - Dragonborn Z Suomikilta, Harrods, Master Crafter. - Blog - Crafthouse: all stations, all munduses, all dummies, open to everyone
    Answer ✓
  • Hybridizati0nn
    Thanks for the reply.

Yes I knew alchemy surveys don't scale, but enchanting?

And dangit, was gonna roleplay so that I keep every character at their own alliance territories but seems I'll have to make my main a globetrotter :D
    My equipment crafter is the highest level of my chars though so if someone knows whether surveys also scale down or not, that would be helpful

EDIT: If I'd have a character in every alliance in cp levels, scaling shouldn't be an issue anymore?
    Edited by Hybridizati0nn on December 18, 2016 1:03PM
    PS4 | EU

• helediron
    helediron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The potency runes in enchanting surveys scale to harvester.

And yes, we are all friends and tamrieltrotters after 1T :mrgreen: .
    On hiatus. PC,EU,AD - crafting completionist - @helediron 900+ cp, @helestor 1000+ cp, @helestar 800+ cp, @helester 700+ cp - Dragonborn Z Suomikilta, Harrods, Master Crafter. - Blog - Crafthouse: all stations, all munduses, all dummies, open to everyone
  • Feric51
    Feric51
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the reply.

EDIT: If I'd have a character in every alliance in cp levels, scaling shouldn't be an issue anymore?

I believe the material nodes (i.e. cloth, ore, wood, hide) scale X% of the time to your character level, and (100-X)% of the time to your respective crafting passive. So if you're CP 300, but only have the woodworking passive to level 2, then your surveys have a chance to give you some ruby ash wood (CP150+) and also some oak (tier 2).

Therefore it will still be best to harvest all surveys (except alchemy) on your character with the combination of highest level and highest crafting passives.
    Feric51
    Xbox NA

Darkness Falls: The Crusade survivor (you young kids will never know the struggle of text-based games)

• Hybridizati0nn
    Feric51 wrote: »

I believe the material nodes (i.e. cloth, ore, wood, hide) scale X% of the time to your character level, and (100-X)% of the time to your respective crafting passive. So if you're CP 300, but only have the woodworking passive to level 2, then your surveys have a chance to give you some ruby ash wood (CP150+) and also some oak (tier 2).

Therefore it will still be best to harvest all surveys (except alchemy) on your character with the combination of highest level and highest crafting passives.

Can someone confirm this?
    PS4 | EU

• STEVIL
    STEVIL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Feric51 wrote: »

Can someone confirm this?

i can only say it matches the usual node rules... but i have always sent my surveys out with the best crafters for the surveys that mattered so i never had this verified. Surveys can be banked and stacked so, it makes no sense to not send them out with the best crafters for that type. Alchemy being just flowers doesnt matter tho the cp double node thing helps.
    Proudly skooma free while talks-when-drunk is in mandatory public housing.
    YFMV Your Fun May Vary.

First Law of Nerf-o-Dynamics
    "The good way I used to get good kills *with good skill* was good but the way others kill me now is bad."