Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Patch download speed stuck at 200 KB/s

Endek
Endek
✭✭✭
Hi all,

I'm not sure how to fix this one.

I have just started the launcher after several months of not playing and I can't get the update / patch download speed quicker than 200 KB/s. It averages 180 - 190 KB/s.

I've flushed my dns, set the "Maximum Launcher Download Speed" to 10 Mbps, only have ESO downloading and still no luck. I've checked to make certain nothing else is using my network resources such as other updates etc, but only ESO is using the internet.

I've also stopped and restarted the download as well as trying other game / software updates which all hit a minimum 650 KB/s +.

What am I missing to improve the download speed for ESO as it is so slow?

Many thanks and have fun out there.
  • Endek
    Endek
    ✭✭✭
    Hi all,

Day two of my download and I have no idea what is going on or how much I still have to download for the PC as the ESO launcher only shows what is currently downloading, not what is actually left to download.

Sadly, last night after many hours of downloading at an average 200 KB/s and as a result of my computer settings, it put itself to sleep and stopped downloading... Oops!

Has anyone got any suggestions on how to improve my download speed as 200 KB/s for what I am guessing are lots of patches / updates seems slow?

Thanks and have fun out there.
  • Endek
    Endek
    ✭✭✭
    Morning,

Day three of my download adventures and I'm pleased to announce that the download is progressing!

According to the launcher, I am now at 23% and downloading the next 5 GB + patch at approx. 190 KB/s... So I am hoping, not hopeful that when the PC servers go into maintenance in 12 minutes, my downloads will continue.

What I am noticing is the download speed seems to vary, a lot, between 180 KB/s to 350 KB/s and for one of the micro 3GB + downloads, even managed 410 KB/s...

But I can not figure out how to stabilize it at all as it fluctuates so greatly and is only fluctuating with the ESO PC updates, nothing else I do on the internet. However, same as other days, the only application or drain on my internet resources is the official ESO launcher, which makes me think it may be broken or not functioning as intended.

But I can not figure out what is limiting or throttling the download speed as we have unlimited download and 99% of the time, good download speed for our service.

Also, we very recently downloaded 2 full ESO games of approx. 62GB each, well over 120 GB onto our 2 PS4's which are notoriously slow at downloading in under a day each on this exact same internet connection. One complete download was three weeks ago and the other only last week with an additional update of over 16 GB which only took 3 hours to download on the PS4.

So my question still remains, what can I do to help speed up the PC updates?

Any suggestions at all would be greatly appreciated as it is now not so much the game I would like to play but understanding what is going on with the PC updates.

Thanks and have fun out there.
  • Daganerabus
    Daganerabus
    ✭✭✭
    suggestion:
    Get a Big Sledgehammer!
  • Daganerabus
    Daganerabus
    ✭✭✭
    Have you tried restarting the download?
    are you on console or computer?

if on computer:
    Temlorarily DISABLE all Firewalls.
    Disable firewall in router.
    Open ports/port forwarding.

If on console:
    Depending on patch size. Make sure you have ample available room on your hard-drive.
    The compressed file needs room to decompress, install, then clean itself up.

Antivirus installed in console? uninstall it temporarily.

in addition: (console/xbox/computer)
    Reset modem & router.

console:
    Go to settings, internet. Add new internet. if wireless, enter your secure code. If direct wired, just click "automatic" it'll grab a new dhcp.

If none of the above works.......
    hmmm, .... contact playstation via phone. 2nd, contact zenimax via phone. (I think they have one).
  • Endek
    Endek
    ✭✭✭
    suggestion:
    Get a Big Sledgehammer!
    Hi and thanks for the replies.

In fact, I had to have a bit of a laugh to myself when I read your first comment.

Even though the computer is not that old, it is well above spec and always kept up to date as needed, there are moments like this that tempt me to find that "Big Sledgehammer"...

Seriously though, short of Port Forwarding, I have tried working with Firewall exceptions, but this hasn't worked.

I am not a supporter of Port Forwarding, at all. The security risks for my little home network are way to great to be justified for simply updating a game.

If I can't find another solution and my family still have the enthusiasm to play ESO on the PC, I may Trigger a Port for ESO to see if it improves the slow speeds, but I really hope I don't have to.

Anyhow, day 4 and the launcher / update is now showing at 76% complete, so it is slowly getting there. Some of the multitude of patches / updates do average 650 KB/s plus, but it's the 3 - 4 GB ones that seem to stabilize between 100 - 150 KB/s that slow the whole process to snail pace...

Again, many thanks for your replies, they really were appreciated and had me trying other options.

Have fun out there.
  • twev
    twev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Had the same problem on a new Alienware laptop I got about 2 weeks ago.
    Specs at the top end of the spec sheet, a 170 Meg fiber line download capability and I spend 3 days watching it download at ~ 170KB.
    It never did finish installing a working copy.
    I don't know what it ended up with, the copy it left on the laptop looks like the front-end loader, but when I push the 'PLAY' button it crashes.
    The problem with society these days is that no one drinks from the skulls of their enemies anymore.
  • Endek
    Endek
    ✭✭✭
    Hi Twev,

Sorry to hear you also experienced a very slow download speed.

Although my downloads were updates / patches only as I had played before, it sounds like a clean install can also be affected by this phenomenon.

I'm pleased to say that my download finally finished sometime yesterday.

The updates were completed over 4 days and approximately 38 hours of actually downloading as I would not download of an evening when the family also use the internet for entertainment. So basically, I would start the download early in the morning, let it run for 12 - 14 hours, wait for the current patch or update to download and install, then I would pause it and start again the next day...

Far from ideal and I have no idea why it should take so long and I truly hope that you manage to complete your download to a playable state also.

If you keep having problems, like other folk say, contact their customer support for help as it really shouldn't be this slow.

Good luck and have fun out there.
  • Arsenex
    Arsenex
    Hi all, so I experienced a bug in-game and they told me re-installing the game (re-download) might help, so I made that stupid mistake to follow their recommendations and installed the game.

I have the samme issues as every all, have wrote them but they won't answer why its downloading so slow, and they avoiding my questions about my issues. They won't refund a crown product thats doesn't work, and they are not quite if re-installing the game will work.

I think its really bad that zenimax support suggest to re-install the game, when they knew a lot had problem with their launcher! but im on day 3 and got 10gb downloaded!

Could read on another thread that they plan to fix the launcher in february! thanks Zeni great support once again!