Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

We have a very confused dragonknight here

Onadras
Onadras
Soul Shriven
Hi, my first and only char for now is a nord stamina dk. I thought a fighter class would be easy to make for a beginner, but after 39 levels I'm really not sure about what to do with it. I'm strolling around using bow and dual wield, with only a handful of active class skills: venomous claw, spiked armor, green dragon blood, obsidian shard and take flight. Weapon skills are poison injection, arrow barrage, rapid strikes and steel tornado. Wearing mostly medium, with any set piece I can find (though I eventually keep sticking to trainee armor due to the big stat boost). It's not really bad, but it doesn't shine either.

The damage output is somewhat low, and in some occasions it feels a bit frail. I've read some guides here and there, but most of them are outdated and/or give contradictory infos. In the end I have no idea of what to do to improve it and what are the best choices for this kind of class/race. For now I'm doing only pve, tried pvp once and was useful only as cannon fodder.
So I'm open to any suggestion, even if it will request a complete change of skills/weapons.
Any help would be really appreciated, thanks!
Edited by Onadras on December 16, 2016 3:07PM
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    thats because people are thinking dragonight is a damage dealing class.
    it's not, it is a tank class that has the ability to damage deal.

at launch dragonights were overpowered and broken, they had the ability to kill everything and survive large groups of people, so it sent out a message that this was a warrior class.
    which it is not. in time they were nerfed as a class to come more inline with what was intended for the dragonight. a Tank

now people use the dragonight as what it was intended for. and as a Tank it does a great job

the devs have said that they will be improving dragonights in the next patch to help it be more damage dealing. but in the end it is a tank. and tanks are not suppose to be big damage dealers.

the more damage you do the less you can survive.
    the more survival you have the less damage youll be able to do.
    that's the way it is suppose to be in an mmo. and i agree with that method.

Edited by Gilvoth on December 16, 2016 3:22PM
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    if you look at the dragonight class as a "shaman" type class then it might help to be able to bring that more inline with what your looking for.
    the devs have said they are going to help the "magicka based" dragonight class in the next patch.
    so, this might be a better way to view that class. as a shaman type base magicka play.

Edited by Gilvoth on December 16, 2016 3:25PM
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Onadras wrote: »
    I thought a fighter class would be easy to make for a beginner, but after 39 levels I'm really not sure about what to do with it. I'm strolling around using bow and dual wield, with only a handful of active class skills: venomous claw, spiked armor, green dragon blood, obsidian shard and take flight.

First thing to ask you is, are you playing for PvP or competitive Trials? Or, are you playing PvE content, dungeons and the like?

If your playing the former, then Stamina probably is the better, but more difficult way to go. If your doing the PvE, then stop fighting the Class, go Magic and you will be able to use more of the Class Skills and be very effective. Don't let the mind set that you need to maximize your damage to have any success take hold, unless your into PvP or competitive Trials.
    Edited by Nestor on December 16, 2016 3:28PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i can tell you this.
    if you play a dunmer fire based dragonight and use the red mountain set, then you will kill everything in sight with fire.
    last night i fought a dragonight that killed an entire group of us with his extreme amounts of fire damage.
  • Danksta
    Danksta
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    i can tell you this.
    if you play a dunmer fire based dragonight and use the red mountain set, then you will kill everything in sight with fire.
    last night i fought a dragonight that killed an entire group of us with his extreme amounts of fire damage.

Did you just suggest a medium armor set for a magicka user?? :confused:

OP, I'd love to help with skills but I don't really know much about stam DKs except that at end game they are really powerful especially combined with Maelstrom weapons.

If you're not using a 5 piece set that's close to your level I'd try to find someone in game to craft some for you. If you're on PS4/NA I can craft something for you.

PSN-BacKinTackWarDs
    BawKinTackWarDs PS4/NA

• Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The only requirement for a successful build is to pick a race suited for that build. A race which has bonuses to stamina, stamina regeneration, melee damage and/or weapon critical for a stamina build, a race that has bonuses to maximum magicka, magicka regeneration, cost reduction and/or elemental damage for a magicka build. A stamina build will be using weapon skills extensively, because few class abilities have a stamina morph. A magicka build will be using class abilities more extensively.

Nord is not a bad pick for a stamina build, because it has a small stamina bonus, but where it excels is tanking because of the added health and reduced damage taken. For pure DPS redguard or khajiit would have been better picks. But if you get a proper rotation and proper gear to help you sustain, you can play even end game content as DD. As you advance you can even switch from DD to Tank by simply swapping gear. As tank you don't need any points in health if you are wearing 5 pieces of heavy and you have Ebon Armory set. Endgame you can reach almost 30K health with that set, tri-glyphs and health+stamina blue CP150 food.
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • Jennifur_Vultee
    Jennifur_Vultee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Danksta wrote: »
    i can tell you this.

OP, I'd love to help with skills but I don't really know much about stam DKs except that at end game they are really powerful especially combined with Maelstrom weapons.

If you're not using a 5 piece set that's close to your level I'd try to find someone in game to craft some for you. If you're on PS4/NA I can craft something for you.

PSN-BacKinTackWarDs

Red Mountain could be easily worn by a magic user by wearing 3 jewelry, 1 armor and 1 weapon. With that setup they could still wear a full 4 piece set of light armor + weapon for 5 pieces of second set and have 2 slots open for a 2 piece monster helm set or just another 2 pieces of a third set..
    "Whoever is careless with the truth in small matters cannot be trusted with important matters." – Albert Einstein

Treat a customer fairly and they will remember you. Treat a customer poorly and they never forget.

Imperial City: Zerg, gank or die.
  • Danksta
    Danksta
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    i can tell you this.

PSN-BacKinTackWarDs

Red Mountain could be easily worn by a magic user by wearing 3 jewelry, 1 armor and 1 weapon. With that setup they could still wear a full 4 piece set of light armor + weapon for 5 pieces of second set and have 2 slots open for a 2 piece monster helm set or just another 2 pieces of a third set..

Yea sure, but they'd also have useless 2-4 set bonuses (WD, max stam and wep crit) from that set for a magicka build. If that's something you or the person that suggested it want to try and run that's fine, but as far as suggesting it to a struggling new player is absolutely ridiculous.
    BawKinTackWarDs PS4/NA

• Danksta
    Danksta
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Asardes wrote: »
    The only requirement for a successful build is to pick a race suited for that build. A race which has bonuses to stamina, stamina regeneration, melee damage and/or weapon critical for a stamina build, a race that has bonuses to maximum magicka, magicka regeneration, cost reduction and/or elemental damage for a magicka build. A stamina build will be using weapon skills extensively, because few class abilities have a stamina morph. A magicka build will be using class abilities more extensively.

Nord is not a bad pick for a stamina build, because it has a small stamina bonus, but where it excels is tanking because of the added health and reduced damage taken. For pure DPS redguard or khajiit would have been better picks. But if you get a proper rotation and proper gear to help you sustain, you can play even end game content as DD. As you advance you can even switch from DD to Tank by simply swapping gear. As tank you don't need any points in health if you are wearing 5 pieces of heavy and you have Ebon Armory set. Endgame you can reach almost 30K health with that set, tri-glyphs and health+stamina blue CP150 food.

Wow! I really feel bad for the OP with all the misinformation in this thread. While your race isn't optimal OP, it shouldn't be that noticeable once you get comfortable playing the game. There a lot of things that go into making a successful build such as gear, skill rotation and when you get there correct CP allotment, amongst other things. I don't think you should feel pressured into changing your race.

BawKinTackWarDs PS4/NA

• Sureshawt
    Sureshawt
    ✭✭✭✭
    i can tell you this.

PSN-BacKinTackWarDs

Yea sure, but they'd also have useless 2-4 set bonuses (WD, max stam and wep crit) from that set for a magicka build. If that's something you or the person that suggested it want to try and run that's fine, but as far as suggesting it to a struggling new player is absolutely ridiculous.

That is until you see the 'every 2 second proc' on the Red Mountain set which is flame damage and thus synergizes very well with Dragonknight. No complex rotation needed here which is perfect for a struggling new player. Just sustain/mitigate and plink away.

Edited by Sureshawt on December 16, 2016 8:36PM
  • Danksta
    Danksta
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Sureshawt wrote: »
    i can tell you this.

PSN-BacKinTackWarDs

That is until you see the 'every 2 second proc' on the Red Mountain set which is flame damage and thus synergizes very well with Dragonknight. No complex rotation needed here which is perfect for a struggling new player. Just sustain/mitigate and plink away.

I stand by what I said. It's not worth throwing away 3 set bonuses for a 5 piece that procs on weapon abilities when mag DK is going to use mostly class abilities. On top of that, the only reason mag DK was brought up was because stam DK is supposedly not good for DPS, which is absolutely absurd.

It's very possible that we have new player struggling (like I'm sure many do post tam1) due to wearing out-leveled gear and/or no 5 piece bonuses. So I think it would be smart to not have the OP rebuild his/her character if he/she doesn't need to. If my assumption about gear is correct then all that may need to be done is craft a nice 5 piece Hunding's and 4 piece whatever and hopefully the OP can go kick some butt.
    BawKinTackWarDs PS4/NA

• Onadras
    Onadras
    Soul Shriven
    I'm not planning to change race and start again atm. Just trying to understand if I'm going in the right direction for this race and class choice. I know that for basic pve you don't need much effort, but I'd like this character to be still viable when it comes to more advanced stuff. Also when I see that other players with lower level chars can easily handle the world bosses, while I struggle to not be killed in 3 hits by the lamest of them (shellcracker I'm talking to you), can't help but think that I'm doing something very wrong.

Can the gear be the only problem here? Ok I'm just using set equipement found in the first maps, getting a 5 pieces bouns from trainee because I still didn't find anything better than triple stat boost, but I try to always keep it up to date, ranging from level 37 to 39 atm.
    On a side note, this is the most annoying thing about the game, being forced to stop and replace your gear all the time, to the point that you almost don't want to level up anymore.
    Anyways, besides the gear issue, I feel totally not sure about the effectiveness of my skill choice and fighting style. I even left many skill points unused just because I don't really know how to spend them, besides some nice passives and stuff.
    Edited by Onadras on December 16, 2016 10:37PM
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can the gear be the only problem here? Ok I'm just using set equipement found in the first maps, getting a 5 pieces bouns from trainee because I still didn't find anything better than triple stat boost yet, but I try to always keep it up to date, ranging from level 37 to 39 atm.
    On a side note, this is the most annoying thing about the game, being forced to stop and replace your gear all the time, to the point that you almost don't want to level up anymore.

While leveling up to CP160, your given a buff, a handicap added to your stats so that gear kind of does not matter, as long as you have some gear. And, in every slot, so Jewelry too. And, gear that benefits your playstyle and build. So, when you see sets that buff Stamina, Weapon Crit, Weapon Damage, your on the right track. Armor of the Trainee is a good set, don't get me wrong, but it needs to be paired with something else, as all it does is give you stats. Stats are good, but they are not everything.

Where was I going with this? Oh yea. Those low level people you see handling all the content, probably have Champ Points to assign to their characters. So, that is a big boost to things. Also, if they know some crafters, or can craft, they have good armor sets. As nice as Dropped Sets are, Crafted Sets can still make a powerful character, and in some cases a more powerful character than anything dropped.

Right now you don't need to be worrying about character power and builds and rotations. You need to be Leveling, that is your goal, get all skills and such to max that you use or want to use, or at least to Morph Stage. Make sure your Class skills are leveled, make sure your weapon skills are leveled, and don't forget to get all 3 armor skills leveled. That is your goal.

Once you get to CP160, then worry about the gear. Also, you can respec and change out skills and attributes, and heck, even take the character to magic as Magic is slated to be the next one to get buffed. Which means everyone saying Stamina is the only way to go and never go magic, will be saying the opposite, Magic is the way to go and Stamina is for scrubs. It won't be true, but people will believe it.

In the meantime, just use what you get from drops. If you have 2 or 3 pieces of a set and it buffs Stamina/Weapon etc, use it. If you find 5 pieces, use those. Don't worry about the traits, they don't matter while leveling, use the gear you get, even if it has Prosperous on it. Just being in a zone and doing the content will give you a set of gear you can use until you get to the next zone. Decon or research it when your done.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Onadras
    Onadras
    Soul Shriven
    I've paired the trainee set with red mountain and the char feels a bit more confident. So the suggestion is to not worry much and just enjoy the content for now?
    Nestor wrote: »

You need to be Leveling, that is your goal, get all skills and such to max that you use or want to use, or at least to Morph Stage. Make sure your Class skills are leveled, make sure your weapon skills are leveled, and don't forget to get all 3 armor skills leveled. That is your goal.

This is my major concern actually. I don't really know which skills are the most useful for my kind of char. I'm levelling a bit of everything while using only few active skills, but have no idea if I'm neglecting anything that would be more effective than my actual configuration.

Speaking of crafting, this is something I would like to try soon or later. Will i need to create a backup character for the sole purpose of investing points in crafting skills?
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Wow! I really feel bad for the OP with all the misinformation in this thread. While your race isn't optimal OP, it shouldn't be that noticeable once you get comfortable playing the game. There a lot of things that go into making a successful build such as gear, skill rotation and when you get there correct CP allotment, amongst other things. I don't think you should feel pressured into changing your race.

Yeh, this is the worst thread I've ever seen for misinformation haha. DKs are tanks, red mountain on a magica user, only choosing the right race matters.... All absolute BS.

OP, you need set items. Sets gives you additional bonuses for each additional piece. More damage, recovery, stamina, health, less damage taken and loads of others. You need to try and get them. Never were more than 5 of a set.

Some are crafted so require researching items and levelling blacksmithing, clothing and woodworking. This can take a while. There's a lot of dropped item sets about that should help a stam dk.

Change rapid strikes to bloodthirst. Slightly less damage, but it heals you as well. The best heal you can get is vigor, but takes a bit of PvP to get that.
  • Jim_Pipp
    Jim_Pipp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Videos?
    For a great overview of DK-https://youtu.be/vpvamJe8RV8

For an interesting up to date build -
    https://youtu.be/zTBoSLy_qHU
    #1 tip (Re)check your graphics settings periodically - especially resolution.
  • Curragraigue
    Curragraigue
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not planning to change race and start again atm. Just trying to understand if I'm going in the right direction for this race and class choice. I know that for basic pve you don't need much effort, but I'd like this character to be still viable when it comes to more advanced stuff. Also when I see that other players with lower level chars can easily handle the world bosses, while I struggle to not be killed in 3 hits by the lamest of them (shellcracker I'm talking to you), can't help but think that I'm doing something very wrong.

Can the gear be the only problem here? Ok I'm just using set equipement found in the first maps, getting a 5 pieces bouns from trainee because I still didn't find anything better than triple stat boost, but I try to always keep it up to date, ranging from level 37 to 39 atm.
    Anyways, besides the gear issue, I feel totally not sure about the effectiveness of my skill choice and fighting style. I even left many skill points unused just because I don't really know how to spend them, besides some nice passives and stuff.

Pre CP levels can be misleading. I still have three characters that on your screen would be below level 20 but they all have 561 CPs that boost all of their stats so don't judge your characters by what you see others doing. The skills you have chosen are all fine. You could go blood craze for another heal or two hand to get rally but I don't think you need to.

Just remember to give yourself some leeway by using 5 piece sets, food and potions to keep you up and boost your stats. If you want some more survivability then igneous shield first then GDB so you get a bigger heal from it or go do some PvP to get Vigor which is a good stam HoT. As has already been mentioned a Nord DK tank wouldn't be a bad thing to aim for if you want to keep the character.
    PUG Life - the true test of your skill

18 characters, 17 max level, at least 1 Stam and 1 Mag of every class, 1 of every race and 1200+ CP

Tanked to Undaunted 9+ Mag and Stam of every class using Group Finder for 90+% of the Vet Dungeon runs
  • Onadras
    Onadras
    Soul Shriven
    Well I fixed the equipement and added a couple of suggested skills, and things started to get interesting. Then I went to do some exstensive pvp (not like the lame try I did before) just to level up the assault skill tree and... holy crap I want more! Even with this provisory build it can be lots of fun being a support for stun/ranged attacks, despite having no chance against 2 or more enemies. I still feel like I'm not really eploiting the full potential of this char, but hopefully things will get better while levelling up.
  • Jciampi
    Jciampi
    ✭✭✭
    I was the same as you. I hit 50 and didn't have a direction for my guy. I hit CP 200 and still didn't. I was ok. But not great. I had to play around to find what I liked and what worked. Attribute points are huge. I had mine spread evenly. 20 to each of the three. That makes you average. Put all 64 into stamina or magic and you make those abilities that rely on them FAR stronger. You just can't really use the other too much. But when I put em all into stamina, wow I could deal serious damage compared to before.

But I still didn't fit the role of a DPS. I'm a khajit DK. I only had solo attacks. No real AOE {area of affect}. Then I tried tanking like people here have said. Wow. Whole new game. My DK fits it great. So many great tank abilities. Yes you can't deal much damage as a tank. But it isn't your job. Just grab the attention of every enemy and boss you can and get beaten like no tomorrow while taking little damage.

It's very fun and I enjoy it more than DPS. DPS I wore viper and dreugh slayer gear, for lots of damage. As a tank I rock Plague Doctor and Beekeeper (both are drops from normal areas not dungeon). Plague doctor takes me from 22k health to 39k. And beekeeper takes my health recovery from 1k to 2.5k. So hard to die when you have stats like that. If you use Ferocious Leap I think is the morph it's great. Jump up and do 10k damage but then get a shield equal to your max health for 10 seconds. That's a 39k shield for 10 seconds. I can survive a few "one hit kill" boss moves with a percent or two left of health many times during that shield buff.
    Edited by Jciampi on December 19, 2016 9:15AM
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

+10% magicka/stamina is about 4K end game. That's equivalent to about 370 weapon/spell damage which is close to the weapon/spell damage bonus from a 5 piece gear set. I agree that if you don't have proper gear and rotation you won't be able to pull good damage, even with an high elf mage or a redguard melee fighter. I'm not telling anybody to change the race. Any race can be good, if you tailor the build to the that race's advantages.
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    Member of:

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle

PC-NA CP 1800+
    Member of:

Characters:
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jciampi wrote: »
    I was the same as you. I hit 50 and didn't have a direction for my guy. I hit CP 200 and still didn't. I was ok. But not great. I had to play around to find what I liked and what worked. Attribute points are huge. I had mine spread evenly. 20 to each of the three. That makes you average. Put all 64 into stamina or magic and you make those abilities that rely on them FAR stronger. You just can't really use the other too much. But when I put em all into stamina, wow I could deal serious damage compared to before.

But I still didn't fit the role of a DPS. I'm a khajit DK. I only had solo attacks. No real AOE {area of affect}. Then I tried tanking like people here have said. Wow. Whole new game. My DK fits it great. So many great tank abilities. Yes you can't deal much damage as a tank. But it isn't your job. Just grab the attention of every enemy and boss you can and get beaten like no tomorrow while taking little damage.

It's very fun and I enjoy it more than DPS. DPS I wore viper and dreugh slayer gear, for lots of damage. As a tank I rock Plague Doctor and Beekeeper (both are drops from normal areas not dungeon). Plague doctor takes me from 22k health to 39k. And beekeeper takes my health recovery from 1k to 2.5k. So hard to die when you have stats like that. If you use Ferocious Leap I think is the morph it's great. Jump up and do 10k damage but then get a shield equal to your max health for 10 seconds. That's a 39k shield for 10 seconds. I can survive a few "one hit kill" boss moves with a percent or two left of health many times during that shield buff.

39K health is overkill for any content in this game. It might be worth on a Templar for extra blazing shield damage return in PvP but not much else. Trial tanks run 28-30K health with Ebon Armory. I tank vet dungeon with just 26.6K and rarely die Ebon it's not really worth running in those. And most times I die I die because I ran out of stamina for blocking or roll dodging attacks that do well over 39K, even mitigated by blocking. I run out of magicka for ingenous and stamina for blocking and roll dodging before I get killed. I've tanked most content in this game. I've recently started tanking vet trials and it's certainly not the lack of health that kills me - it's still the lack of stamina. When you have 3-4 axes beating on your shield at the same time and you see that green bar fading away you only wish it were bigger.

I had to learn those lessons the hard way. I started out as a hybrid build and I kept that until about CP300, because I had low stats and I didn't want to invest in Tri-Stat glyphs - back then Hakeijo was 35K a piece and CP150-160 materials were rare and expensive as well. Now the prices are about 1/5 of what they were. But once I got higher stats due to CP, and enough money to buy hakeijos and enough materials to craft CP160 armor, I went to a full stamina build. I don't regret it a bit. Endgame, the most important stats for a tank are maximum stamina and magicka regeneration. If you have good magicka regeneration you keep your volatile armor up, you refresh ingenous weapons, spam chains, talon everything and you can also cast ingenous shield when you need it. Most utility skills are magicka and you don't need a big pool to cast them, if your regeneration is high enough. Casting ingenous shield, eruption or ingenous weapons also gives back stamina trough helping hands class passive so you can trade some of that magicka for stamina while you are blocking and unable to regenerate the latter. Having a big stamina pool is worth wile because you can fill it trough heavy attacks when you can and shards always replenish 1/4 and 1/4 of 32K is more than 1/4 of 20K.

Dreugh King Slayer is pretty useless, especially on a DK. You get major brutality from ingenous weapons anyway, or even better, if you use a 2H weapon as DD, from rally which also has a good heal over time. I had the set and broke it down because it took space on my bank character. In general a set that gives bonuses otherwise available from skills or potions is pretty useless endgame. It might save a slot on the bar at first glance, but all those skills come with added benefits, and of course you can make multiple effects potions, for example one that gives stamina and major brutality if you don't want to slot ingenous weapons or rally. Or if you are a DD in a group you can ask the DK tank to run that for you. As a Khajiit you have potential to reach high DPS numbers due to the critical strike bonus. So it's advantageous to run a high crit build. A good combo as DD would be 5 Leviathan (drops in CoH 1&2) + 5 Night Mother's Gaze (crafted) + 2 x Kra'gh or Velidreth. Getting the latter would really test you as a tank ;)

PC-EU CP 3000+
    Member of:

Characters:

PC-NA CP 1800+
    Member of:

Characters:
  • Jciampi
    Jciampi
    ✭✭✭

39K health is overkill for any content in this game. It might be worth on a Templar for extra blazing shield damage return in PvP but not much else. Trial tanks run 28-30K health with Ebon Armory. I tank vet dungeon with just 26.6K and rarely die Ebon it's not really worth running in those. And most times I die I die because I ran out of stamina for blocking or roll dodging attacks that do well over 39K, even mitigated by blocking. I run out of magicka for ingenous and stamina for blocking and roll dodging before I get killed. I've tanked most content in this game. I've recently started tanking vet trials and it's certainly not the lack of health that kills me - it's still the lack of stamina. When you have 3-4 axes beating on your shield at the same time and you see that green bar fading away you only wish it were bigger.

I had to learn those lessons the hard way. I started out as a hybrid build and I kept that until about CP300, because I had low stats and I didn't want to invest in Tri-Stat glyphs - back then Hakeijo was 35K a piece and CP150-160 materials were rare and expensive as well. Now the prices are about 1/5 of what they were. But once I got higher stats due to CP, and enough money to buy hakeijos and enough materials to craft CP160 armor, I went to a full stamina build. I don't regret it a bit. Endgame, the most important stats for a tank are maximum stamina and magicka regeneration. If you have good magicka regeneration you keep your volatile armor up, you refresh ingenous weapons, spam chains, talon everything and you can also cast ingenous shield when you need it. Most utility skills are magicka and you don't need a big pool to cast them, if your regeneration is high enough. Casting ingenous shield, eruption or ingenous weapons also gives back stamina trough helping hands class passive so you can trade some of that magicka for stamina while you are blocking and unable to regenerate the latter. Having a big stamina pool is worth wile because you can fill it trough heavy attacks when you can and shards always replenish 1/4 and 1/4 of 32K is more than 1/4 of 20K.

Dreugh King Slayer is pretty useless, especially on a DK. You get major brutality from ingenous weapons anyway, or even better, if you use a 2H weapon as DD, from rally which also has a good heal over time. I had the set and broke it down because it took space on my bank character. In general a set that gives bonuses otherwise available from skills or potions is pretty useless endgame. It might save a slot on the bar at first glance, but all those skills come with added benefits, and of course you can make multiple effects potions, for example one that gives stamina and major brutality if you don't want to slot ingenous weapons or rally. Or if you are a DD in a group you can ask the DK tank to run that for you. As a Khajiit you have potential to reach high DPS numbers due to the critical strike bonus. So it's advantageous to run a high crit build. A good combo as DD would be 5 Leviathan (drops in CoH 1&2) + 5 Night Mother's Gaze (crafted) + 2 x Kra'gh or Velidreth. Getting the latter would really test you as a tank ;)
    I appreciate the advice. I started tanking two weeks ago so I'm still learning the ropes. I definitely need magic regenerate or more stamina. Cause i spam both igneous shield and weapons constantly as well as use GDB to heal. And when I die, like you it's cause I had no stamina left to roll dodge or block.

I've tried for velidreth a few times now on vet. I can make it to her but have yet to beat her. Frustrating to say the least but gives me goals. I'll get there soon enough. LoL
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jciampi wrote: »

I appreciate the advice. I started tanking two weeks ago so I'm still learning the ropes. I definitely need magic regenerate or more stamina. Cause i spam both igneous shield and weapons constantly as well as use GDB to heal. And when I die, like you it's cause I had no stamina left to roll dodge or block.

I've tried for velidreth a few times now on vet. I can make it to her but have yet to beat her. Frustrating to say the least but gives me goals. I'll get there soon enough. LoL

GDB is bad for heals. It only restores 1/3 of your missing health - I keep it on the back bar in some boss fights where I don't have to block as much for the stamina regeneration. So if you are at 1/2 it will restore only 1/6 of your health. Go in PvP for a couple of days and get vigor. It restores much more health especially if you are a stamina heavy build. One time I did VCoS with 2 very good DDs but an awful healer. He died like 10s into the boss fight and once resed died again within 5s. We finally gave up resing and beat the boss without healer. And Vigor played a big part in that. Were the hardest earned 2 keys ever.

PC-EU CP 3000+
    Member of:

Characters: