Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Blacksmith writs

Reivax
Reivax
✭✭✭✭
For most of this character's leveling, I didn't do any blacksmithing. But being as I had tons of iron, I did the writs.
Now that I'm lvl 40 and starting to bother with smithing on this character, I upped my material passive to (I think 4) use Dwarven ore. So now my writs want things made of Dwarven, but only give Steel back in the crate.
Is that normal, or is there some ability I can up in smithing that will cause my writ crates to have Dwarven?
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Writ Crates return mats from levels below your current Material level. This is to make up for the fact that you can't farm lower level mats by visiting a zone that has them.

So, how do you get Dwarven in your Writ Containers, up your mat level to L5. But of course you will be needing those mats to make the stuff.

In all honesty, crafting writs only really work at L1 or Top Level, in between, you run into the issues you ran into. Nice thing is your rewards are still scaled to the character level, so you get the same Gold, Inspiration, Experience and such no matter what level the writ is, as these are all based on character level, not material level.
    Edited by Nestor on December 15, 2016 6:05PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Reivax
    Reivax
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you Nestor, for the helpful advice!
  • Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Writs return a random box of lower-level material. I don't think you will ever get Dwarven ingots from writ now, but you should get a random crate of Iron ingots, Steel Ingots, or Orichalc ingots (the three materials lower than Dwarven). On rare occasions (5% of time? 10% of time?), you will not get a crate of ingots but rather a survey that leads to a whole bunch of Dwarven ore nodes. Note that 50% of nodes in game world will be scaled to your character level and 50% will scale to your crafting level. With Dwarven being the Level 36-44 material and you being Level 40, all the nodes you find in game world should now be Dwarven ore. Just grab those and refine to get the Dwarven ingots you need for writs.

The writs are not really meant to be self-sustaining. They are meant to encourage you to get out into the game world and harvest the materials while adventuring.

The crates of ingots from writ rewards are there to allow you to get materials that you can no longer harvest in game world because you have out-leveled them.