The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [IN PROGRESS] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Need help on a DPS nightblade

HrolleifTheUnbroken
Okay so I'm at CP110 but I can't for the life of me, put out much damage. I have 2pc agility, 2pc viper, 3piece hundings and 4pc night silence. In mid combat I can get up to 2k weapon damage but my crit is below 20%. What can I do to improve? My gear is blue and weapons are purple.

I have a nord(i didn't know what I was doing when I started) with DW and Bow

What can be done to improve my DPS ability? I love to do dungeons but I seem to always be grouped with people that don't do much damage either so we end up wiping at least once or more on each boss. I want to try and be able to somewhat carry a group if need-be

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.
  • Danksta
    Danksta
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    You don't have a complete set, which hurts. If you went with 5 Hunding's, 4 Night Mother and 3 Agility you'd have more set bonuses leading to most likely higher weapon damage and crit %. You'd probably want to go with the Shadow mundus with that set up. The set up I mention gives 9 set bonuses while the one you're using gives only 7 bonuses. You're almost always going to want to have one complete set.
    BawKinTackWarDs PS4/NA

• kadar
    kadar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Danksta wrote: »
    You don't have a complete set, which hurts. If you went with 5 Hunding's, 4 Night Mother and 3 Agility you'd have more set bonuses leading to most likely higher weapon damage and crit %. You'd probably want to go with the Shadow mundus with that set up. The set up I mention gives 9 set bonuses while the one you're using gives only 7 bonuses. You're almost always going to want to have one complete set.

Agreed. Complete that Hundings set, get one more Agility jewelry (or weapon). Drop the 2 viper.

Make sure you've got weapon damage enchants on all jewelry.

Make sure you're weapons are sharpened trait. Precise would be better than nothing, but just get sharp.

If you make those changes and your crit % is less than 50%, I'd use the Thief Mundus. Achieve 65+ crit % and I'd use Shadow.

Your DPS rotation has a huge impact on DPS. Most DPS rotations go something like this: Buff up > Cast DoTs and ground AOEs > weave high damage single target (Surprise Attack for you) with light attacks > reapply DoTs when they fall off > Execute boss when under execute threashold (25% for you).

I can get more specific with the rotation stuff if you want, hope this helps. :)
    Edited by kadar on December 15, 2016 6:10PM
  • HrolleifTheUnbroken

Agreed. Complete that Hundings set, get one more Agility jewelry (or weapon). Drop the 2 viper.

Make sure you're weapons are sharpened trait. Precise would be better than nothing, but just get sharp.

If you make those changes and your crit % is less than 50%, I'd use the Thief Mundus. Achieve 65+ crit % and I'd use Shadow.

Your DPS rotation has a huge impact on DPS. Most DPS rotations go something like this: Buff up > Cast DoTs and ground AOEs > weave high damage single target (Surprise Attack for you) with light attacks > reapply DoTs when they fall off > Execute boss when under execute threashold (25% for you).

I can get more specific with the rotation stuff if you want, hope this helps. :)

Yeah help with rotation would be awesome!

Right now I'm having a buddy of mine craft me a 5pc TBS set with 4 NMG so I can have two mundus stones.

What skills and abilities should I purchase and how do I use them?

Follow up question, are you on PS4 NA?
  • HrolleifTheUnbroken

I'm still researching traits at the moment, that's why the hundings is not complete but I'm having a buddy of mine craft me a full set of gear. Would TBS with Shadow and Thief help or should I use different stones? Like Warrior?
  • kylewwefan
    kylewwefan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Don't take it the wrong way, but not much point collecting all this gear below CP160. Once you get to 160, craft some sharp nightmothers gaze daggers and gold them out.

Surprise attack is your main attack for a long time on StamBlade.

Impale is your execute.

You can use sap essence or power extraction for major brutality, trap beast for Beserk. Arrow barrage for big aoe dot.

Most people will always put steel tornado in there because it is big strong aoe. I replaced it with power extraction for the major brutality.

IDK about TBS on StamBlade. If your not using a monster helm it's good I guess. But you'll really want to use VO/NMG/Veledrith.
  • Danksta
    Danksta
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    kylewwefan wrote: »
    Don't take it the wrong way, but not much point collecting all this gear below CP160. Once you get to 160, craft some sharp nightmothers gaze daggers and gold them out.

Impale Killer's Blade is your execute.

You can use sap essence or power extraction for major brutality, trap beast for Beserk. Arrow barrage for big aoe dot.

Most people will always put steel tornado in there because it is big strong aoe. I replaced it with power extraction for the major brutality.

IDK about TBS on StamBlade. If your not using a monster helm it's good I guess. But you'll really want to use VO/NMG/Veledrith.

Wrong morph :smile:
    BawKinTackWarDs PS4/NA

• Danksta
    Danksta
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I'm still researching traits at the moment, that's why the hundings is not complete but I'm having a buddy of mine craft me a full set of gear. Would TBS with Shadow and Thief help or should I use different stones? Like Warrior?

With TBS always thief and shadow. The warrior stone is pretty underwhelming.
    BawKinTackWarDs PS4/NA

• HrolleifTheUnbroken

Impale is your execute.

Yeah that's what most people say haha but it seems I don't do enough damage or something. My plan is just to run everything purple until CP 160 when I can gold out my gear.

I have velidreth shoulders but its CP 80 so I don't think it's too helpful.

Where's Surprise attack? (ironic :p). Is it in the assassination skill line or which?
    Sap essence I imagine in Siphoning.

I actually morphed to Killer's blade, is there a difference?

Yeah i use steel blades with deadly cloak and endless hail for the added time.

Power extraction should be in siphoning as well, right?
  • HrolleifTheUnbroken

I was thinking that too hahaha thanks! Any other tips?

What is a good weapon damage and crit average. I have about 1500-2000 WD but 15%-18% crit. Up to where to I wanna be?
  • Danksta
    Danksta
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I was thinking that too hahaha thanks! Any other tips?

What is a good weapon damage and crit average. I have about 1500-2000 WD but 15%-18% crit. Up to where to I wanna be?

Your base weapon damage will be kind of low until you're able to gold out your weapons and it doesn't make sense to do that until you hit the gear cap. But when you get there you'll want to be at least close to 3k weapon dmg and between 60-70% crit I'd say is probably ideal. If you can get close to 60% without the thief mundus, then use shadow. And your weapon damage will usually be a little lower using TBS as it has no bonuses for that.

I don't do the math on these things, just things I've felt out through experience.

Something I suggest for noobies that are looking to improve is to go to YouTube and check out Alcast's video (I think he has two actually, in that case both of them are worth watching) on animation canceling.
    BawKinTackWarDs PS4/NA

• Upright_man
    Upright_man
    ✭✭

Impale is your execute.

Yeah that's what most people say haha but it seems I don't do enough damage or something. My plan is just to run everything purple until CP 160 when I can gold out my gear.

Where's Surprise attack? (ironic :p). Is it in the assassination skill line or which?

Surprise attack is a shadow skill, Stamina morph of veiled strike.

This is what i run casually.. i switch skills based on what the encounter is though.

Front Bar: Dual Wield - 2 Sharpened Daggers
    Assasins Blade - morph to killers blade - Assassination
    Twin Slashes - morph to Rending Slashes - Dual Wield
    Veiled STrike - Morph to Suprise Attack - Shadow
    Whirlwind - Morph to Steel Tornado - Dual Wield
    Grim Focus - Morph to Relentless Focus - Assassination

Back Bar - Sharpened Bow
    Poison Arrow - Morph to Poison Injection - Bow
    Volley - Morph to Endless Hail - Bow
    Trap Beast - Morph to Rearming Trap - Fighters guild
    Siphoning Strikes - Morph to Siphoning Attacks - Siphoning
    Drain Power - Morph to Power Extraction - Siphoning

TBS is good on stamblade particularly in trials when you have other members debuffing mobs armor and warhorn thats for sure.
    But i've found 5 piece NMG / 5 piece VO / 2 Velidreth/Kraghs very reliable
  • HrolleifTheUnbroken
    [/quote]

This is what i run casually.. i switch skills based on what the encounter is though.

Back Bar - Sharpened Bow

TBS is good on stamblade particularly in trials when you have other members debuffing mobs armor and warhorn thats for sure.
    [/quote]

What set is VO? Vicious Ophidian?
    I have velidreth and kra'gh shoulders but not the monster helms yet. I can't seem to last in Vet dungeons
  • HrolleifTheUnbroken

Your base weapon damage will be kind of low until you're able to gold out your weapons and it doesn't make sense to do that until you hit the gear cap. But when you get there you'll want to be at least close to 3k weapon dmg and between 60-70% crit I'd say is probably ideal. If you can get close to 60% without the thief mundus, then use shadow. And your weapon damage will usually be a little lower using TBS as it has no bonuses for that.

I don't do the math on these things, just things I've felt out through experience.

Something I suggest for noobies that are looking to improve is to go to YouTube and check out Alcast's video (I think he has two actually, in that case both of them are worth watching) on animation canceling.

What is animation cancelling about?
  • Upright_man
    Upright_man
    ✭✭

Back Bar - Sharpened Bow

[/quote]

What set is VO? Vicious Ophidian?
    I have velidreth and kra'gh shoulders but not the monster helms yet. I can't seem to last in Vet dungeons
    [/quote]

Yes Vicious Ophidian.

I'd suggest waiting until you have at least 160cp and some decent gear before trying to group for vet CoS for Velidreth Helm.

Fungal Grotto is much easier and so i would say go for Kraghs first because of that.
  • Upright_man
    Upright_man
    ✭✭

For example, when you fire a volley (endless hail) you can switch bar so early in the animation of firing the arrows upward and itll still happen but you dont waste your time on the visual side.
  • HrolleifTheUnbroken

For example, when you fire a volley (endless hail) you can switch bar so early in the animation of firing the arrows upward and itll still happen but you dont waste your time on the visual side.

Ahh okay, yeah I've been doing that now. I don't like to miss a second of action haha
  • HrolleifTheUnbroken

Yes Vicious Ophidian.

I'd suggest waiting until you have at least 160cp and some decent gear before trying to group for vet CoS for Velidreth Helm.

Fungal Grotto is much easier and so i would say go for Kraghs first because of that.

VO can only be gotten in Hel Ra, no? I remember I was grouped for a trial there, super hard stuff.

Okay Kra'gh seems manageable.

Question, what platform are you on?
  • Upright_man
    Upright_man
    ✭✭

Yes Vicious Ophidian.

VO can only be gotten in Hel Ra, no? I remember I was grouped for a trial there, super hard stuff.

Okay Kra'gh seems manageable.

Question, what platform are you on?

I believe you can get VO in Hel Ra, AA and Sanctum Ophidia. Blue rings and neck with 2 divines armor pieces / 2 sharp daggers is a great start.
    There's a weekly reward for these trials that can give you a chance at the purple quality too.

Im on PC NA server.
  • Danksta
    Danksta
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Basically certain actions have priorities over others and you use that to cut animations short. It's certainly something you'll want to get good at if you want to be competitive. For instance when I do my rotation, on my bow bar endless hail will be the last thing I cast before swapping to DW bar and I animation cancel it with the bar swap. You can cancel it with block, but weapon swap cancel is easier so I use it to cut down the long animation of endless hail. You can actually almost completely cut the animation out. Even if it's something you've been doing I'd still check out the videos they helped me a lot when I was just starting to do it.
    BawKinTackWarDs PS4/NA

• shack80
    shack80
    ✭✭✭
    I also recommend getting vigor so you can do some self healing.

I have almost similar skills like the guy above:

Here's my skills.

Relentless Focus - Assassination
    Blood Craze - Dual Wield or Killers Blade - Assasination when doing bosses/trials
    Surprise Attack - Shadow
    Steel Tornado - Dual Wield / Rapid Strikes when doing bosses
    Resolving Vigor - Assault
    Flawless Dawnbreaker - Fighters Guild ultimate (will increase your WD by 5%)

Back Bar - Sharpened Bow
    Poison Injection - Bow
    Endless Hail - Bow
    Rearming Trap - Fighters guild
    Power Extraction - Siphoning
    Siphoning Attacks - Siphoning
    Veil of Blades / Shadow ultimate for trial / and Incapacitating Strike Assasination ultimate

I mainly use TBS with thief and shadow but when soloing I usually change shadow to Serpent to get "insane" stamina recovery. I'm playing as Bosmer.

If you are going for pure damage I recommend NMG compined with Dreugh King Weapons and Jewelry. Velidreth for Head and Shoulder.

On the other hand most of your dps comes from DoT and AoE so keeping up your stamina is vital for your dps. If you have race with poor stamina handling I recommend to focus on that also.
    Edited by shack80 on December 16, 2016 11:38AM
  • altemriel
    altemriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

go DW/2H, you get rally for heal and weapon damage bonus and the ulti is awesome aoe. and execute is nice too.
  • Danksta
    Danksta
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    altemriel wrote: »

go DW/2H, you get rally for heal and weapon damage bonus and the ulti is awesome aoe. and execute is nice too.

You lose too much damage by switching out bow for 2H. You can get the major brutality buff from potions, Power Extraction (Siphoning skill line) or flying dagger (DW skill line) and stamblades already have a very nice execute. Vigor is a good enough heal in PvE that Rally is unnecessary. Stam DPS is all about stacking DoTs and bow has 2 DoTs that are both better than Cleave (the only DoT in the 2H skill line).
    BawKinTackWarDs PS4/NA

• HrolleifTheUnbroken
    altemriel wrote: »

I tried that for a bit, even enough to lvl 50 2H but it didn't seem like I was doing enough damage.
  • kadar
    kadar
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Right now I'm having a buddy of mine craft me a 5pc TBS set with 4 NMG so I can have two mundus stones.

Well on my NB, the rotation I used to do was something like this:
    • 1) Buff up (Relentless Focus, Siphoning Attacks), Major Brutality and Savagery are obtained without using skills by using potions, however this is quite expensive over the long term. Even now I only use potions for those buffs in Veteran Trial Boss encounters. Like others pointed out you can use skills to get these buffs for free: I'd recommend Power Extraction for Brutality and slotting Expert Hunter from Fighter's guild on your main bar as it grants Savagery passively.
    • 2) DoT and Ground AOEs in order of longest to shortest. For me this is Caltrops > Endless Hail > Poison injection > Rending Slashes > Trap Beast.
    • 3) Weave single target or AOE attack with light attacks. Light Attack > Surprise Attack > LA > SA > LA > SA if fighting 1 enemy. Do the same with Power extraction (if you're fighting multiple enemies) or Steel Tornado as it does slightly more damage than Power Ex. Continue until your DoTs are about to drop off.
    • 4) Reapply DoTs/Ground AOE. Reapply buffs when they fall off. You'll only need to reapply Siphoning if you're at about half Stamina, just use it as needed.
    • 5) Replace Surprise Attack with Killer's Blade with Boss is under 25% health.
    Sadly no, I'm on PC/NA.
  • HrolleifTheUnbroken

Well on my NB, the rotation I used to do was something like this:
    • 1) Buff up (Relentless Focus, Siphoning Attacks), Major Brutality and Savagery are obtained without using skills by using potions, however this is quite expensive over the long term. Even now I only use potions for those buffs in Veteran Trial Boss encounters. Like others pointed out you can use skills to get these buffs for free: I'd recommend Power Extraction for Brutality and slotting Expert Hunter from Fighter's guild on your main bar as it grants Savagery passively.
    • 2) DoT and Ground AOEs in order of longest to shortest. For me this is Caltrops > Endless Hail > Poison injection > Rending Slashes > Trap Beast.
    • 3) Weave single target or AOE attack with light attacks. Light Attack > Surprise Attack > LA > SA > LA > SA if fighting 1 enemy. Do the same with Power extraction (if you're fighting multiple enemies) or Steel Tornado as it does slightly more damage than Power Ex. Continue until your DoTs are about to drop off.
    • 4) Reapply DoTs/Ground AOE. Reapply buffs when they fall off. You'll only need to reapply Siphoning if you're at about half Stamina, just use it as needed.
    • 5) Replace Surprise Attack with Killer's Blade with Boss is under 25% health.
    Sadly no, I'm on PC/NA.

Okay awesome, I'll try it tonight!

I haven't yet gotten caltrops (stayed away from alliance war in Cyrodill) but I'll try to level up to it since i've seen tons of people use them on stamblades.
  • kadar
    kadar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yup, Caltrops definitely isn't a necessity, but it's nice.
  • IwakuraLain42
    IwakuraLain42
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Really, try to get Vigor (and Caltrops), even if it means getting into the mess that is Cyrodiil ....
  • HrolleifTheUnbroken
    Really, try to get Vigor (and Caltrops), even if it means getting into the mess that is Cyrodiil ....

Would you say it's essential to the build?
  • mr_wazzabi
    mr_wazzabi
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Impale is your execute.

Keep killers blade. Danksta made a type about impale. Impale is the magicka morph.

Surprise attack is the 2nd ability in the shadow skill line. The unmorphed version is veiled strike. Level it up if you can't morph yet and morph to surprise attack.

Sap essense and power extraction are the same skill, but sap essense is the magicka morph. If you have sap essense, you need to respec and buy power extraction instead.

Also, do you have all your attributes into stamina? If you don't, that also helps to explain your low damage. End game builds have 64 points into stam, 0 in health, 0 in magicka.
    Bosmer Stamina NB
    Altmer Magicka TEMP
    Dunmer DK both stam/mag (depends what I feel like)
    Altmer Magicka NB
    Breton Magicka Sorc
    Redguard Stam Sorc
    Max CP
  • IwakuraLain42
    IwakuraLain42
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Would you say it's essential to the build?

Vigor yes, Caltrops depends on your build. There are other selfheals (e.g. Rally) but none is as good as is Vigor. Unfortunately ....