The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 6:
· [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
· [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)

How do people do combat in ESO RP?

Jaeysa
Jaeysa
✭✭✭✭✭
So, thus far I haven't done much in-Game RP with ESO, but I do a ton within wow which leads me to ask - how do people determine combat during events that might pit players against NPCs or the like? In wow, my guild uses the in-game roller systems to determine hits or misses but that's not really an option for ESO.
PC/NA: Primarily Daggerfall Covenant.

GL of Hearthlight - a NA/PC Housing guild. PM for details/invite!

Lennie: Breton Sorceror. 9-trait crafter on everything, purveyor of useless frippery.
  • jarnkoldur
    jarnkoldur
    ✭✭✭
    Greetings Jaeysa,
    Although there is a myriad responses that could be given to answer your question -as eveyone approaches RPing in their own fashion- I shall answer with what I know.

For Text:
    When RPing via text, the system which I have seen employed more often-than-not is a narrative approach. In this system players allow the other player's character to respond to the actions which are taken. This is done by leaving vague or non-descript intent which the other player can interpret to their liking.

Example: Two characters are fightinf in a tavern.
    Character A: "You shall pay for that you ruffian!" /em character A launches himself towards character B with his fist drawn into a ball. Character A shall attempt to hit character B in the chest...

Character B: /em Character B sees the incoming attack and sidesteps the punch from Character A. "You are quick old man, but are you quick enough to dodge this?" /em Character B picks up a nearby bottle and shall attempt to hit Character A across the head with it; if it lands Character B shall then spill some of its content on the bartop and say, "No drink for you!"

Keywords such as "attempt" and "if" assists in conveying that the success of the result is ultimately dependant upon the other player. Now, as no system is perfect, usually players will share in the victories and losses of their characters, as it woukd be unrealistic -and rather boring- if a character never lost a conflict. Also, players are known to discuss beforehand if there are certain aspects or events which should occur within a fight (such as -using the example above- the player of Character A wanted to have his older character humiliated in order to spur some introspection about older adventurers within the world).

Voice Chat:
    Voice Chat follows aspects which is are very reminiscent to table-top role-playing. In order to keep the action active and fast paced dice are used rather than the practice of co-narration. Success and failure depends on the roll of the die. As well as usually the role-playing is more formulated as a table-top session and usually has a Narrator to be arbiter when and if a dispute should arise.
    "And when the truth finally dawns, it shall dawn in fire!"
    Options
  • Lord_Etrigan
    Lord_Etrigan
    ✭✭✭✭
    jarnkoldur wrote: »
    Greetings Jaeysa,
    Although there is a myriad responses that could be given to answer your question -as eveyone approaches RPing in their own fashion- I shall answer with what I know.

For Text:
    When RPing via text, the system which I have seen employed more often-than-not is a narrative approach. In this system players allow the other player's character to respond to the actions which are taken. This is done by leaving vague or non-descript intent which the other player can interpret to their liking.

Character A: "You shall pay for that you ruffian!" /em character A launches himself towards character B with his fist drawn into a ball. Character A shall attempt to hit character B in the chest...

Character B: /em Character B sees the incoming attack and sidesteps the punch from Character A. "You are quick old man, but are you quick enough to dodge this?" /em Character B picks up a nearby bottle and shall attempt to hit Character A across the head with it; if it lands Character B shall then spill some of its content on the bartop and say, "No drink for you!"

Keywords such as "attempt" and "if" assists in conveying that the success of the result is ultimately dependant upon the other player. Now, as no system is perfect, usually players will share in the victories and losses of their characters, as it woukd be unrealistic -and rather boring- if a character never lost a conflict. Also, players are known to discuss beforehand if there are certain aspects or events which should occur within a fight (such as -using the example above- the player of Character A wanted to have his older character humiliated in order to spur some introspection about older adventurers within the world).

Voice Chat:
    Voice Chat follows aspects which is are very reminiscent to table-top role-playing. In order to keep the action active and fast paced dice are used rather than the practice of co-narration. Success and failure depends on the roll of the die. As well as usually the role-playing is more formulated as a table-top session and usually has a Narrator to be arbiter when and if a dispute should arise.

As someone with Zero RP experience, I have recently become very interested in RP.
    I need clarification with regards to the above post as from what I have read it basically says that you don’t physically attack the NPC but only RP that you did. As the NPC will re-spawn after a while, will it not be more fun to attack the NPC even just to injure as you would receive a bounty which could enhance the RP experience.
    Edited by Lord_Etrigan on December 21, 2016 1:42PM
    PS4 EU
    Lord Etrigan (Former Emperor): PVE High Elf Sorcerer
    Nyssa al Ghul: PVP Nightblade Wood Elf (Ganker)
    Lady-Death : PVP High Elf Sorcerer (8 x Campaigns Former Empress and Grand Warlord) Retired:(
    Achmed-Silence I keel you: PVP Dark Elf Nightblade (Suicide Bomber)
    I'm with stupid: PVP Argonian Magic Temp (Group support and healer).

Guild:
    The Order of Stolas (Founder and Guild Master)

Faction: Aldmeri Dominion

Her Royal Highness Queen Ayrenn Arana wants You for Dominion.
    LONG LIVE THE QUEEN!!
    Options
  • jarnkoldur
    jarnkoldur
    ✭✭✭
    Greetings Jaeysa,

For Text:

Voice Chat:

As someone with Zero RP experience, I have recently become very interested in RP.
    I need clarification with regards to the above post as from what I have read it basically says that you don’t physically attack the NPC but only RP that you did. As the NPC will re-spawn after a while, will it not be more fun to attack the NPC even just to injure as you would receive a bounty which could enhance the RP experience.

As I stated previously, there are a myriad explanations as how to approach the subject. I illustrated only but one for text chat and one for voice chat.

Upon the subject of attacking NPCs: in regards to NPCs, forgive me as I do apologize for not differentiating the approachs to engaging NPCs. I was though speaking more of engaging NPCs via text rather than incorporating the in-game experience of literally "killing" the NPC. There are times -when creativity overtakes us- that the desire to create a more personalized advesary arrives and usually it is accepted to engage this advesary through text than it would be to select some pre-existing NPC to become a literal punching bag.

Nothing wrong if you feel it more appropriate to incorporate in-game struggles with NPCs with your RP.
    Edited by jarnkoldur on December 21, 2016 2:37PM
    "And when the truth finally dawns, it shall dawn in fire!"
    Options
  • Lord_Etrigan
    Lord_Etrigan
    ✭✭✭✭
    Greetings Jaeysa,

For Text:

Voice Chat:

As I stated previously, there are a myriad explanations as how to approach the subject. I illustrated only but one for text chat and one for voice chat.

Upon the subject of attacking NPCs: in regards to NPCs, forgive me as I do apologize for not differentiating the approachs to engaging NPCs. I was though speaking more of engaging NPCs via text rather than incorporating the in-game experience of literally "killing" the NPC. There are times -when creativity overtakes us- that the desire to create a more personalized advesary arrives and usually it is accepted to engage this advesary through text than it would be to select some pre-existing NPC to become a literal punching bag.

Nothing wrong if you feel it more appropriate to incorporate in-game struggles with NPCs with your RP.

Thank you for the clarification, you have given me much to ponder on.
    PS4 EU
    Lord Etrigan (Former Emperor): PVE High Elf Sorcerer
    Nyssa al Ghul: PVP Nightblade Wood Elf (Ganker)
    Lady-Death : PVP High Elf Sorcerer (8 x Campaigns Former Empress and Grand Warlord) Retired:(
    Achmed-Silence I keel you: PVP Dark Elf Nightblade (Suicide Bomber)
    I'm with stupid: PVP Argonian Magic Temp (Group support and healer).

Guild:
    The Order of Stolas (Founder and Guild Master)

Faction: Aldmeri Dominion

Her Royal Highness Queen Ayrenn Arana wants You for Dominion.
    LONG LIVE THE QUEEN!!
    Options