The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

How about a Tank with Sanctuary?

AlexTech0x
AlexTech0x
✭✭✭
I've come with this idea first to get out of the 1-2 meta sets and also to find a useful variable.
The term "should" doesn't always apply,
1) DPS should get out of red,
2) Tank should face the boss the opposite way of the group,
3) Everybody should always stay in range of Healing Springs,
4) etc...

So, 1 shots will always be 1 shot. It doesn't matter who heals, what gear people use, etc. But still there are some places where people take heavy dmg.
So i was playing around yesterday and this idea pretty much came to my mind.
Since Tanks have Echoing Vigor ( or should ) and 100 points into Blessed ( or should ) i think Sanctuary can be more group beneficial than Ebon. That %12 more healing doesn't only apply on tank skills, but in the rest of the people as well.

In case someone wonder hey Sanctuary is a light set! Yes, but it would be Jewerly with Sword and Shield, Tava's ( Heavy ) and Blood Spawn ( Heavy ) would be the set-up.
This would allow to: Have more magicka for buff/shield usage, more Healing Received and also the full raid gets %12 more healing received which also applies to class self heals, Healers can keep their SPC + IA/Worm... i think the benefits are more than just 1k hp from Ebon.

Looking for some Theorycrafting here.

NOTE: I know alkosh might be better, but i trully hate guides that say you need the best sets in the game ( like alkosh ).

Stats would be ( ish ) like 32k HP, 20k Mag, 24k Stam with imperial. 1500 Magicka recovery.
Edited by AlexTech0x on December 12, 2016 5:58PM
  • Woeler
    Woeler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Your healers are healing, no reason for you to ditch a set that gives everyone a solid 1k extra health that will make them survive certain things that would otherwise have killed them in one shot, especially in heavy damage situations. The is no reason for a tank to run sanctuary. Why stack stuff into healing, something that someone else is already doing instead of actually providing unique buffs like Ebon? Ebon will save lives, sanctuary will not, there are already one or two healers. Also the range on sanctuary is only 10 meters, which is terrible in fights where people stand on range or when there is a big boss between you and other players.
    AlexTech0x wrote: »
    NOTE: I know alkosh might be better, but i trully hate guides that say you need the best sets in the game ( like alkosh ).
    Hating it doesn't change the fact that it is best in slot. I don't see at all why you are hammering on end-game advice for echoing vigor and blessed cp and even say people "should", but then all of a sudden when it comes to gear you "hate" guides that say you need the best. Seems a little hypocritical to me.
    Edited by Woeler on December 13, 2016 12:09AM
  • AlexTech0x
    AlexTech0x
    ✭✭✭
    Woeler wrote: »
    Your healers are healing, no reason for you to ditch a set that gives everyone a solid 1k extra health that will make them survive certain things that would otherwise have killed them in one shot, especially in heavy damage situations. The is no reason for a tank to run sanctuary. Why stack stuff into healing, something that someone else is already doing instead of actually providing unique buffs like Ebon? Ebon will save lives, sanctuary will not, there are already one or two healers. Also the range on sanctuary is only 10 meters, which is terrible in fights where people stand on range or when there is a big boss between you and other players.
    AlexTech0x wrote: »
    Hating it doesn't change the fact that it is best in slot. I don't see at all why you are hammering on end-game advice for echoing vigor and blessed cp and even say people "should", but then all of a sudden when it comes to gear you "hate" guides that say you need the best. Seems a little hypocritical to me.

Just discussing, which apparently u can't without getting out of the 2-3 sets Meta. What i meant is builds that don't have something in between BiS, got it? Im not giving any advice, did i post a to-follow-build?
    No1 is talking end-game here meta boy.

I just wanted to get out the nerdy meta, sorry if i broke your feelings in some way. I'm with you.
  • Vaoh
    Vaoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a Magicka Sorc DPS who runs Vet trials, I can tell you a few things:
    • Ebon Armory is a must for a tank to wear. Invest in the Gold armor/jewelry/weapons to get 5 pieces. This set is insanely beneficial to your group
    • Sanctuary sounds nice (I can see why you want to try it) but it's a terrible set. The 10 meter radius kills it. Even if Sanctuary didn't have the 10 meter radius restriction, you'd only see some healers possibly slotting it rather than tanks.

***Anything you wear after Ebon Armory is optional, though there are a few "BiS" sets you can use. Make sure Ebon Armory is slotted before you try to experiment.

As a tank, your job is to aggro the boss+certain adds as well as support your group as much as possible. Sanctuary would be a nerf to your group imo, as you are wasting an enire 5-piece set bonus on a weak light armor set.

Hope that helped :/
  • AlexTech0x
    AlexTech0x
    ✭✭✭
    Vaoh wrote: »
    As a Magicka Sorc DPS who runs Vet trials, I can tell you a few things:
    • Ebon Armory is a must for a tank to wear. Invest in the Gold armor/jewelry/weapons to get 5 pieces. This set is insanely beneficial to your group
    • Sanctuary sounds nice (I can see why you want to try it) but it's a terrible set. The 10 meter radius kills it. Even if Sanctuary didn't have the 10 meter radius restriction, you'd only see some healers possibly slotting it rather than tanks.

***Anything you wear after Ebon Armory is optional, though there are a few "BiS" sets you can use. Make sure Ebon Armory is slotted before you try to experiment.

As a tank, your job is to aggro the boss+certain adds as well as support your group as much as possible. Sanctuary would be a nerf to your group imo, as you are wasting an enire 5-piece set bonus on a weak light armor set.

Hope that helped :/

I meant to wear sword, shield and jewerly... i still have max resistances, no light equipped.
  • Gaggin
    Gaggin
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ya, alkosh can be difficult for people to obtain right off the bat, so it makes sense to find alternatives. It's kinda like telling people not to use anything but sharpened mael weapons, that's ideal, but I know people who do mael every day and still don't have them yet.

That said, the limited range of sanctuary made me not even wanna attempt to use it. If the range was bigger it'd be worth considering, only one tank can have ebon.

And btw, don't get gold jewelry for ebon, it's not worth it and tanking can be expensive to gear as it is.
  • pattyLtd
    pattyLtd
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love ebon and wear it all the time usually with tavas and bloodspawn guess i use the meta then i'm fine with that.
    I do want alkosh but it's one of the few things left that's not so easy to get xD

You don't have to get so defensive calling people "meta-boy" lol you can use whatever set you want and it's always good to have options so try it out and see how you like it if you can't take criticism don't ask questions.

Why put 100 points into blessed if you have good healer in group?
    Honest question i watched @Alcast build about one of his tanks and he has alot of points into blessed aswell so i'm probably missing something.
    Edited by pattyLtd on December 15, 2016 9:50AM
    English is not my native language, no grammar police please, tyvm
  • AlexTech0x
    AlexTech0x
    ✭✭✭
    Because of self heals like Blood and Echoing Vigor, besides i don't see anywhere else beneficial in there hehe.
    And i don't go defensive, but one thing is to listen to good theory craft and criticism and the other one is like "OMFG DUDE WTF U DOING DELETE ALL DAT U SUCK BECAUSE U DONT USE DAT!"
    The 2nd is what i don't like.

I saw his build too, and this comes from that tbh, Sanctuary is the only change i made.

Anyways the people who's far from the raid group usually is for some mechanic that doesn't take more than 5 sec, so in that moment they aren't in the healing springs range and they have to get BoL, or if they go out of screen range they aren't even getting Ebon bonuses anyways.
  • UppGRAYxDD
    UppGRAYxDD
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ive tanked everything in the game on a high elf sunshield build and I can attest that you dont need to have meta gear on. I have never understood why ppl always insist on the ebon set. I mean 1k health might save you, but odds are that it wont. I personally would rather have 12% more group healing done, especially if your group uses stamina characters or magplars for dps. If ppl are that stuck on needing 1k more health, they can put a healthy enchant on a piece of armor or run a few prismatic enchants. What is more important, survival or alittle more dps?
    "Stendarr's mercy be upon you, for the vigil has none to spare."
  • AlexTech0x
    AlexTech0x
    ✭✭✭
    Thats exactly where im going, for example:
    Let's say somebody is at 500 hp with ebon, yes without they could have died.
    Let's say on the same situation that person is at 500 hp without ebon, because without the %12 more healing the person could have died.
    How do you counter this?
    If that person got hit for the whole HP bar, its his fault.

Every DPS should aim for 17k base hp without no1 else, and if not they are relying on ebon and thats bad because if the Tank uses Tava and Alkosh what would u say? Gef me HP set cuz im a lazy ebon dependant?
  • o0Velius
    o0Velius
    ✭✭✭
    This is a bit old, (I think) but my off tank used Sanctuary last night and I will say; That plus my Linger health pots; I was at 0.5% health and my healer Hit a quick BoL. Healed me for 30k+ health right back to full before the next swing of the boss. Without those two things combine I was sure to die. Also with the rest of the Group the survivability was so much higher. I run ebon + Alkosh and he normally runs PA + Alkosh. But we wanted to give another set a try. So he off tanked with Sanctuary.. It saved lives in vSO HM. And the group was happy with the outcome of it; He was able to tank everything he had to with these two sets; with no issues.. I prob wouldn't recommend it to just any tank though; some off tanks need that little extra defense; and light armor is not always the best way to go for that.. but over all I was and my team was happy with the over all outcome; of the set being used.. but we would still never trade in PA for Sanctuary.
    Main Tank For
    Difficulty Increased
    [/b]

PC : @o0Velius

Xbox One. GT: oo Velius
    [/center]
  • AlexTech0x
    AlexTech0x
    ✭✭✭
    Again, 3 jewerly sword and shield means tank has no need to use light armor.
  • Lukums1
    Lukums1
    ✭✭✭✭
    If morons can't be shown to put 5 points or 1 enchant healthy...

Man ebon is trash. 1k Hp for the group... jezus thinking about people running twice born if you're gonna die with 18k you're dead anyway.

Why not run Tava's + Alkosh?
    Why not run Tava's + Imperium 11k (shields)
    Why not run Hist + Footman? (just an example) does nothing for group.

I'm just saving stuff the 1k hp... dead set.
    PS4 Yellow Scum Dominion
    1600+ vMA runs and counting
    Magicka Sorc - Flawless - 544k Score
    Stam Sorc - Flawless - 559k Score
    Stam DK - FLAWLESS 512k Score
    Stam NB - 492k Score - Work in progress
    Magicka Temp - 482k Score

The Ozmeric Dominion (Oceanic) Australian Based Guild

vMA "guru" - VHRC - vSO - vSOHM - vDSA - vAA - vMOL
    The Maelstrom BIBLE for beginners/Flawless Achieve Below
    https://www.twitch.tv/lukumms/v/111730700
    https://www.twitch.tv/videos/181142505

You have vMA questions? Want a guide? Helping hand? PM me!

Returns after 6 months back to back flawless
    https://go.twitch.tv/videos/180384648

• Oompuh
    Oompuh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    UppGRAYxDD wrote: »
    Ive tanked everything in the game on a high elf sunshield build and I can attest that you dont need to have meta gear on. I have never understood why ppl always insist on the ebon set. I mean 1k health might save you, but odds are that it wont. I personally would rather have 12% more group healing done, especially if your group uses stamina characters or magplars for dps. If ppl are that stuck on needing 1k more health, they can put a healthy enchant on a piece of armor or run a few prismatic enchants. What is more important, survival or alittle more dps?

I would love to see your hm maw complete since you've tanked everything with a sunshield build. And yes a little more dps is more important. DPS is everything to a competitive guild and adding a health enchant to every dps lowers score. The facts are that a well optimized group can heal well without sanctuary and have perfect war horn time without tavas. Ebon saves deaths a lot more in practice than you guys think.
    Xbox NA - Oompa
    Khajiit DK Tank
    Founder of Major Aegis
    Main Tank of Dissonant Crusade Uprising Savages
  • AlexTech0x
    AlexTech0x
    ✭✭✭
    Lukums1 wrote: »
    If morons can't be shown to put 5 points or 1 enchant healthy...

Man ebon is trash. 1k Hp for the group... jezus thinking about people running twice born if you're gonna die with 18k you're dead anyway.

Why not run Tava's + Alkosh?
    Why not run Tava's + Imperium 11k (shields)
    Why not run Hist + Footman? (just an example) does nothing for group.

Offtank can use Sanctuary+Ebon, those sets can be used by the other craft.
    Anyways, if ppl don't get out the minded beta discussing will be impossible.

Anyways, with the next patch Lightning staff heavy attack will cause minor fracture i think? So healers can use SPC+Worm SPC+Sanctuary anyways.