Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Deconstruct stolen items..

HEMNX
HEMNX
Hi there,

Im a wood elf rank 200, blacksmith crafting level 50, all blacksmith passives are maxed out, metalworking rank 10.

I haven't done any main or side quests from Coldharbour yet.
Is this the reason why I only can steal voidstone weapons/armor to deconstruct, and can't steal any rubedo weapons/armor for deconstructing?

Or is it not possible to steal any rubedo weapons/armor after max level gear CP160?

thanks in advance..
  • Reorx_Holybeard
    Reorx_Holybeard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't believe there is anywhere you can steal CP150 items. It just seems the max level for stolen items is CP140 for whatever reason.
    Reorx Holybeard -- NA/PC
    Founder/Admin of www.uesp.net -- UESP ESO Guilds
    Creator of the "Best" ESO Build Editor
    I'm on a quest to build the world's toughest USB drive!
  • HEMNX
    HEMNX

Ah now I know, thanks :s
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You don't want to steal weapons and armor to deconstruct. Big waste of time. Reason, you get one mat and 1/10th the Inspiration, even after Laundering. True, you get only one mat for CP150 items anyway, but its probably why they never included that level of gear on the stolen loot tables. No way to make them give less mats without messing up all the other armors and such.
    Edited by Nestor on December 12, 2016 3:52PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Reorx_Holybeard
    Reorx_Holybeard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    You don't want to steal weapons and armor to deconstruct. Big waste of time. Reason, you get one mat and 1/10th the Inspiration, even after Laundering. True, you get only one mat for CP150 items anyway, but its probably why they never included that level of gear on the stolen loot tables. No way to make them give less mats without messing up all the other armors and such.

Yes, although if you launder the stolen items they give you the full inspiration and materials. Even if you just have one character with max Legerdemain that gives you 140 items you can launder a day which will take you maybe 7-10 days to max the 3 smithing skills. Of course, this does cost you the laundering fee per item but its convenient and fast if you have the gold to do it.

I always did my stealing in Orsinium around the wayshrine area. It only takes about 2 circuits to fill your 140 items and there's a lot of Clothing and Blacksmithing items. It takes a while to get enough Woodworking items here although there are a few more in the basement of Scrap Keep. There are probably good or better places in the world too if you have time to find them.
    Reorx Holybeard -- NA/PC
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, although if you launder the stolen items they give you the full inspiration and materials.

@Reorx_Holybeard

I don't think they do anymore. Nor does the trick of Improving the item before deconning it work anymore. They have been nerfing this aspect into the ground. Stolen Gear was too easy to use for leveling crafting. There are several places I can think of where you can fill your bags with stolen gear with little to no risk from NPCs catching you in the act.

I will test again tonight with my addons and see if anything has changed, but the last time I check, there was no real reason to actively go out and find stolen gear and try to level crafting with it. Fortunately, I have a character I am actively leveling crafting with so I can do this. Normally, all my characters are maxed in crafting. And, to that end, I used to level a character in crafting using stolen gear, so I knew all the tricks.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Reorx_Holybeard
    Reorx_Holybeard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    Yes, although if you launder the stolen items they give you the full inspiration and materials.

@Reorx_Holybeard

I don't think they do anymore. Nor does the trick of Improving the item before deconning it work anymore. They have been nerfing this aspect into the ground. Stolen Gear was too easy to use for leveling crafting. There are several places I can think of where you can fill your bags with stolen gear with little to no risk from NPCs catching you in the act.

I will test again tonight with my addons and see if anything has changed, but the last time I check, there was no real reason to actively go out and find stolen gear and try to level crafting with it. Fortunately, I have a character I am actively leveling crafting with so I can do this. Normally, all my characters are maxed in crafting. And, to that end, I used to level a character in crafting using stolen gear, so I knew all the tricks.

It seems to work on PTS just now. At least at level 1 I was getting 22 inspiration for stolen clothing and 220 for laundered. The laundered stolen goods were still only deconstructing to 1 material however, so its not a good source of materials like it once was. Let us know when you've tested it on Live just in case it was recently changed there without notice.
    Reorx Holybeard -- NA/PC