Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Character Frustration! Need Help!

Neolink547
Neolink547
Soul Shriven
Hello ESO Community! :)

Have had the game for a while now but haven't been able to get to end game because of how indecisive I am towards a main. I really want to get into this game, but so far I'm unable to find my niche of what I would like to do. Im a big fan of classes that can fill multiple roles and being able to switch up my build instead of creating a whole new character (mained a druid in wow since wrath.) Thats why I'm reaching out to you guys to see if anyone has any ideas for me!

I want to play a class that can perform multiple roles (doesn't have to be the best at it, just want to be able to be viable in different roles and specs) at least DPS and Tank

Not a min/max person

I plan on doing both casual PvE and PvP

I always played a stealthy mage with summon weapons or sword/dagger and spell in Oblivion and Skyrim (I know thats not how this game works but still thought I would add for flavor)

Races I like are Breton and Dark Elf (Breton a little bit more than DE)

Magicka or Stamina Build?

Light, Medium, or Heavy Armor? (does that affect stealth like it does in rpg's?)

Is Dual weilding magicka build viable? or is DW just for stamina? Magicka just for staves?

Any input would be appreciated!

Thanks!
  • Pheefs
    Pheefs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You ask about what build is "viable"...
    The truth is that as a Casual they all are!
    I ended up with one of each class & enjoy playing them All!

& if you play a "hybrid" that has more balanced primary stats it will be challenging to solo some content
    (world bosses, dolmens & the like)

Also, hybrids are at a disadvantage socially speaking when it comes to forming pick-up groups for dungeons... so you will need a friendly casuals Guild for that content.

There is no penalty to stealth for heavy armor, but medium has stealthy benefits in passives.
    whatever armor you decide on, it doesn't hurt to wear one piece each of the others to work up the skill in case you want to "re-spec" later.

speaking of which.... RE-SPEC!
    its really not that much gold to change up your skills or attributes.
    decide what class your Main is & have fun figuring out the rest.
    { Forums are Weird........................ Nerfy nerfing nerf nerfers, buff you b'netches!....................... Popcorn popcorn! }
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Couple things to keep in mind

1. Any Class can fill any role, sometimes you don't even need to swap gear. Well, Sword and Board is kind of needed for Tanking, at least with most builds.
    2. You want one of each class to play anyway, because they are always messing with balance and what is strong this patch will be weaker next patch.

If you just want to do this with one character, use a Magic Templar.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• DRXHarbinger
    DRXHarbinger
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Dunmer dk. Will tank anything perfectly fine. Just switch gear out and off you go. Epic damage is easily obtained, despite people on here saying magdk is trash they really really are not.
    PC Master Race

1001CP
    8 Flawless Toons, all Classes.
    Master Angler
    Dro-M'artha Destroyer (at last)
    Tamriel Hero
    Grand Overlord
    Every Skyshard
    Down With BOP!
  • MakoFore
    MakoFore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    magplar is probably the most all around class. u could do that with either dunnmer or breton too quite well. with a switch of gear they can go from decent healer to tank to dps without changing cp around. not going to be best of the best at any necessarily but hard to argue against magplars as being the most well rounded of classes.
  • RavenSworn
    RavenSworn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Imo, two classes currently are the best at hybrid builds: the night blade and the Templar. While the dk is awesome as a tank and as a dps, it's not as versatile a healer as a night blade is. Same is true for the sorcerer, while it might be a better tank than the night blade and a wonderful dps, it doesn't really have a tree that is healing based as compared to the Templar or night blade.

The night blade are masters of sustain and the magicka night blade deals damage as good as they heal. The Templar too can be a tank / heal build that can be a beast when bringing three dps into a dungeon.

This is my opinion of course, all classes in fact are able to do all three roles magnificently.
    Ingame: RavenSworn, Pc / NA.

Of Wolf and Raven
    Solo / Casual guild for beginners and new players wanting to join the game. Pst me for invite!
  • khorphos
    khorphos
    Soul Shriven
    I'm using a Magplar since returning and run him as DPS and Heals. All I need to do is equip a Restoration Staff and change my skill bars (Outfitter makes this a breeze).
  • Neolink547
    Neolink547
    Soul Shriven
    Thank you all for the responses! Ive decided to narrow it down between two classes: Magicka Nightblade vs. Magicka Templar. Seems to me those two are what I want. I really like the overall theme the night blade has as I do like stealth classes a lot, but I do love the versitility the templar brings!

Im going create a Breton Nightblade and a Breton Templar and play around with them to figure out what one I like better!

Any other input that would help me decide between these two?

Thank you all!
  • Rva_Kun
    Rva_Kun
    ✭✭✭
    I'd imagine Dual Wield is still good, BUT i'd recommend Destro if you're planning on going Magicka Sorc. Destro Ultimate is OP and you can "hide" it
    Stam is good as well just run the meta and you're solid lol
    Actions Speak Louder Than Words.
    Fear Over The Internet = Priceless.
    Correcting Ego's Since 03'
    NA > EU

• Kutsuu
    Kutsuu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can DPS, tank, and heal on a magicka templar by just swapping out gear sets and skills. Also, the generic magicka templar setup for DPS is dual wield main bar with a destro staff back bar. Even on a healer you'll likely run DW + resto staff. Tank you might dual 1h/shield, or 1h/shield + resto. Anyway, magicka templar is what I would recommend. High Elf or Breton.
    PC/NA

Envy Me - Sorc
    Kutsus - NB
    Kutsmuffin - Temp
    Kutsuu the Destroyer - NB
    Kutsuu - Temp
    Natsu Dragoneel - DK
    Kutsumo - NB
  • Delimber
    Delimber
    ✭✭✭
    If you haven't done any pvp here yet you will find very fast how squishy you might be if you try to go toe to toe with some of the builds in Cyrodiil.

Most magic Templars seem to hang out near the back of the zerg and beam the low health folks down. And of course they have their jabs while spamming heals.

About 90% to 99.9% of the NB's are built around striking out of stealth (very good damage bonus for them) and thus end up running a ganking build. Can't say I've seen too many magic NB's...maybe because they are in stealth the whole time lol.

As for race, I have a Dunmer for a Templar healer/dps with a staff and 2W bar setup. My Breton is a sorc.
    Solo PvP and PvE most of the time.
    CP 2300+
  • Veraen
    Veraen
    ✭✭
    I can understand why you'd want to have a single character that does it all. However, having multiple characters is far less painful in ESO than in other games with how they allow you to share champion points. I much prefer to have multiple characters so that I can really fine tune them for specific roles. That being said, I would have to agree with those who voted for magicka templar as being the most versatile.

However, I personally like dragon knight better because well, fire and explosions are awesome! Haha, I have to admit they are more of a challenge to transform into healers. Sure, you can morph stonefist and inferno into heals and obsidian shield can morph to boost your healing potency, but otherwise you're just relying on restoration staff abilities.

So have you had a chance to test the waters? Which did you select as your swiss army knife character?
    Veræn → XB1/NA