The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Should Battle Spirit apply to CP!?

Solariken
Solariken
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭
We are all aware of the many problems the CP system has created in PvP balance. I had an interesting thought today - Is a simple solution to apply Battle Spirit to all the effects of the incremental CP stars, reducing their potency by 50%?

This would serve as a diminishing return on investment in any one star, thereby partially achieving "soft caps."

For example, if I invest 100 points into Mighty, what would normally be a +25% increase to damage output becomes 12.5% while in Cyrodiil.

This might also encourage players to spread their CP more evenly to minimize the impact of diminishing returns. No-CP campaigns are not a legitimate solution in my opinion, primarily because costs are ridiculous - it's not fun to be only able to dodgeroll twice before you run out of stamina and die immediately. Additionally, proc sets are exponentially more broken OP in the No-CP campaign. Even if ZoS does nerf damage procs, they will still be prevalent in PvP and players need some mitigation from CP against that foolery.

What do you guys think? Is it a good solution? Is there anything I'm not considering with this? /discuss
Edited by Solariken on December 8, 2016 9:04PM
  • Spliffo
    Spliffo
    ✭✭✭✭
    Go play the no CP campaign
    Options
  • Solariken
    Solariken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_BrianWheeler @Wrobel @ZOS_RichLambert - guys feel free to talk amongst yourselves (or here with us). :)
    Options
  • LegendaryNinja
    LegendaryNinja
    ✭✭✭
    I understand your argument here. Now, the final damage and healing numbers that are already affected by CP have the Battle Spirit Applied to them, no I think they just need to either make a Major overhaul to the CP system or remove it all together.
    Options
  • BlackMadara
    BlackMadara
    ✭✭✭✭
    There are already diminishing returns in CP. You get half the benefit from the star at around 40 points for many of them. It's an intestine idea, and would help quite a bit, but it's a band aid fix. The CP tree should be overhauled. Maybe even having a separate one for pvp. That'd be interesting.
    Options
  • Solariken
    Solariken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    There are already diminishing returns in CP. You get half the benefit from the star at around 40 points for many of them. It's an intestine idea, and would help quite a bit, but it's a band aid fix. The CP tree should be overhauled. Maybe even having a separate one for pvp. That'd be interesting.

I completely agree with you @BlackMadara, my favorite solution is an entirely separate/different CP system for PvP but I know that is 100% not going to happen. I suggested the 50% squash because of how incredibly easy it would be to implement while still providing a meaningful improvement over the status quo.
    Options
  • FearlessOne_2014
    FearlessOne_2014
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No major evasion just needs to fall under battle spirit. Or shields need to be removed from battle spirit. Or..... dodge rolling, and breaking free needs it's own resource bar. Or just allow dodge rolling and break free costs act like ultimates and just cost and scale to your highest resource pool.

There I fixed about %75 of the balancing issues. In Cyrodiil in less then one paragraph without nerfing or buffing classes and or skill lines. Because class and skill line balance is not the problem here at all. The problem is that one player group has to gimp it's self and invest in both pools while the other one can buff it's self by only investing in it's own resource pool.

However since this is a MMO and not a competitive PvP game, don't hold yalls breath on getting balanced and complete skill based combat in PvP in ESO or any upcoming MMO for that point. MMOs sells imbalance for their PvP communities. In a balanced PvP game, the players who currently rely on proc sets would not play and just wind up going back to WoW or playing GW2 since that is a game where there is no skill or grinding required to win.(Just spam matches and abilities and you'll eventaully get to your %50/%50 win/loss ratio regardless of skill.) That is the real situation of the MMO market atm. Time and gear just flatout beats player skill.
    Options
  • SlowMetabolism
    SlowMetabolism
    ✭✭✭
    Been thinking about this for a while now. They also need to stop increasing the CP cap before things get more out of hand in the CP tree. Im well over the cap btw.
    Day one Xbox player
    Options