Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Magicka DK PvP Gear

EldritchPenguin
EldritchPenguin
✭✭✭✭✭
Hey, everybody.

I've been considering starting to play a lot more PvP on my Magicka Dragonknight (that is, after I farm those damn Spellweave rings and S+B) and was wondering what I should use as a sustain set. I know I'll probably need it in heavy armor. It would be ideal if it was a set I could farm (since I still only have Enchanting at 32), but I could probably manage to scrape together a crafted set as well.

So, what heavy armor sustain set should I use for my Magknight in PvP?

Thank you for your time.
Lilelle Adlis - Dark Elf Dragonknight

Vaynothah Sailenar - Dark Elf Templar

Sherivah Telvanni - Dark Elf Sorcerer

Nephiah Telvanni - Dark Elf Nightblade

Best Answers

• AverageJo3Gam3r
    AverageJo3Gam3r
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Trainee is awesome in pvp. I run trainee, skoria, and sun on my argonian magDK. Use the witchmothers brew that gives you recovery and you don't need the atronach stone--you can use a dps stone instead. I get something like 30k health, 40k magicka, and 14k stamina. (Using a couple of tri glyphs).
    Answer ✓
  • Ishammael
    Ishammael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Trainee is awesome in pvp. I run trainee, skoria, and sun on my argonian magDK. Use the witchmothers brew that gives you recovery and you don't need the atronach stone--you can use a dps stone instead. I get something like 30k health, 40k magicka, and 14k stamina. (Using a couple of tri glyphs).

This is solid advice too.

Which reminds me:

Thief stone is 100% the best single mundus you can choose. Its worth like 4 crit set bonuses. Atro is totally inefficient in comparison.
    Answer ✓
  • Adenoma
    Adenoma
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Ishammael is on the money. I run 5H, 1L, 1M dual S&B magDK in vet. I converted over to 5x burningspellweaver, 2x grothdarr/skoria (skoria for soloing), 5x seducer, 2x transmutation (defending trait weapon) on my tank bar for extra recovery and because I don't need the spell damage proc while I'm tanking. When BSW and weapon enchant proc I'm sitting around 3400 spell damage. Only downside is I've only got around 1400 magrecov with right around 37k max magicka, 16k max stam (tri glyphs). I sustain using tri-pots and I'm using atronach mundus stone.

I've been thinking about running engine guardian for additional sustain - magDKs are one of the classes that are literally always hurting for every single resource.
    Adenoma-Badenoma-Sadenoma
    Answer ✓
  • Armitas
    Armitas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    BSW is on average 529 spell damage and then you need a mega sustain set that usually doesn't have any damage on it. If you can run a sustain set without also having to use sustain glyphs on your Jewelry than definitely go BSW. If not there is a much simpler way to the same place.

Kags heavy armor has 222 spell damage and 122 recovery
    Bloodthorn 129 spell damage and 129 recovery plus 660 stamina and magicka every 5seconds.
    Total 351 spell damage
    + 1 additional Jewelry damage glyph 174
    Total 525 100% of the time. It's only 4 shy of BSW if you can replace 1 sustain glyph for damage. You can also go and buy or easily farm for the Bloodthorn piece you want, whereas farming the BSW weapon pieces will be abysmal.

This is the route I took for solo mDK because I am a nord with no racial magicka sustain. Between resto heavies, HA passive, the magicka return from a VMA resto staff, and bloodspawn you can cover your magicka with just a bloodspawn. The stam return is really nice as well for S/B solo mDK. I don't use any sustain glyphs on my jewelry.

It's a very cheap and simple route to the same place but only if you can swap out a non damage glyph. Only you know your sustain best so think about what you have to run now and consider which is the right path for you and how you play.

Edited by Armitas on December 8, 2016 3:56PM
    Retired.
    Nord mDK
    Answer ✓
  • pjwb16_ESO
    pjwb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Rattlecage + Tavas
    Rattlecage + Seducer
    Rattlecage + Lich
    Spellweave + Tavas (or Sun if you cant farm Spellweave but Spellweave>Sun)
    Spellweave + Seducer (or Sun if you cant farm Spellweave but Spellweave>Sun)
    Spellweave + Blackrose (or Sun if you cant farm Spellweave but Spellweave>Sun)
    Trainee + Tavas
    Trainee + Seducer
    Trainee + Black Rose
    Trainee + Rattle
    Desert Rose + Rattlecage
    Desert Rose + Black Rose

We dont even talk about light armor :p

(+Witchmother when you lack sustain and have enough Stamina)
    ~ here since Beta

My Youtube Channel: https://youtube.com/channel/UCw3x5B-l0S093TAo10WafLA

EU Server PC @Elendiel
    Fyrusha - NB AD
    Auri-ele - Sorc AD
    Watch me Nae Nae - Magicka DK AD
    Watch me Whip - Magicka DK DC
    Schnuggii - Bubble Templar AD
    Answer ✓
  • Jjitsuboy98
    Jjitsuboy98
    ✭✭✭✭
  • Gaggin
    Gaggin
    ✭✭✭✭
    Don't worry about sustain, use resto staff hvy attacks(as these do deceptively good dmg with molten arms) and battle roar(keep a cheap ult in case u need resources early with soul assault).
  • EldritchPenguin
    EldritchPenguin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gaggin wrote: »
    Don't worry about sustain, use resto staff hvy attacks(as these do deceptively good dmg with molten arms) and battle roar(keep a cheap ult in case u need resources early with soul assault).
    So then what heavy set would you recommend? Should I do Tava's or Shalk or something for Ult generation?

• Ishammael
    Ishammael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    BSW + 5H Seducer + Monster set of choice is rock-solid.

This advice will get you killed unless you're in a 1v1
  • Adenoma
    Adenoma
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also, I forgot to mention that I'm split between the witchmother's +max health, magicka, mag recov food and then just running trifood. I really like having the extra stamina. I've also stopped running wings because I find it pretty underwhelming and less necessary if you're doing a good job of controlling line of sight.
  • Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Hey, everybody.

I've been considering starting to play a lot more PvP on my Magicka Dragonknight (that is, after I farm those damn Spellweave rings and S+B) and was wondering what I should use as a sustain set. I know I'll probably need it in heavy armor. It would be ideal if it was a set I could farm (since I still only have Enchanting at 32), but I could probably manage to scrape together a crafted set as well.

Thank you for your time.

- 5 pieces black rose (good for res recover in full heavy destro/resto)
    Edited by Xvorg on December 8, 2016 3:45PM
    Sarcasm is something too serious to be taken lightly

I was born with the wrong sign
    In the wrong house
    With the wrong ascendancy
    I took the wrong road
    That led to the wrong tendencies
    I was in the wrong place at the wrong time
    For the wrong reason and the wrong rhyme
    On the wrong day of the wrong week
    Used the wrong method with the wrong technique
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    So then what heavy set would you recommend? Should I do Tava's or Shalk or something for Ult generation?

I would start with a set of Seducer. You can craft the S&Bs which will ease the pain of farming BSW.
  • Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Armitas wrote: »
    BSW is on average 529 spell damage and then you need a mega sustain set that usually doesn't have any damage on it. If you can run a sustain set without also having to use sustain glyphs on your Jewelry than definitely go BSW. If not there is a much simpler way to the same place.

Kags heavy armor has 222 spell damage and 122 recovery
    Bloodthorn 129 spell damage and 129 recovery plus 660 stamina and magicka every 5seconds.
    Total 351 spell damage
    + 1 additional Jewelry damage glyph 174
    Total 525 100% of the time. It's only 4 shy of BSW if you can replace 1 sustain glyph for damage. You can also go and buy or easily farm for the Bloodthorn piece you want, where as farming the BSW weapon pieces will be abysmal. I use all damage glyphs for my jewelry.

This is the route I took for solo mDK because I am a nord with no racial magicka sustain. Between resto heavies, HA passive, the magicka return from a VMA resto staff, and bloodspawn you can cover your magicka with just a bloodspawn. The stam return is really nice as well for S/B solo mDK.

It's a very cheap and simple route to the same place but only if you can swap out a non damage glyph. Only you know your sustain best so think about what you have to run now and consider which is the right path for you and how you play.

Interesting, that's the same you get from Silks of the sun without procs (and only on fire attacks)
    Edited by Xvorg on December 8, 2016 3:56PM

In the wrong house
    I took the wrong road
  • Armitas
    Armitas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Adenoma wrote: »
    Also, I forgot to mention that I'm split between the witchmother's +max health, magicka, mag recov food and then just running trifood. I really like having the extra stamina. I've also stopped running wings because I find it pretty underwhelming and less necessary if you're doing a good job of controlling line of sight.

I love witchmother. I have some good stamina sustain in my build to handle the loss though.
    Xvorg wrote: »
    Hey, everybody.

Thank you for your time.

That is a really good set! Cool thing is you have enough stam sustain to run defiles like reverberating bash or penetration like pierce armor. Sometimes making more damage stick is better than doing more damage that is healed.
    Edited by Armitas on December 8, 2016 4:00PM
    Retired.
    Nord mDK
  • EldritchPenguin
    EldritchPenguin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like I should have let this thread run its course before I went out and bought a 5-piece Shalk set. xP Patience has not been my strong suit for the last couple days. Oh well. I'm sure I'll still be able to find a use for it, if not for my DK.

Looks like the general consensus is Seducer, which I guess means it's time for me to finish grinding out Enchanting. I'm totally not looking forward to that, but it sounds like it's for the better.

Thank you all again for your time.

• Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Adenoma wrote: »

I love witchmother. I have some good stamina sustain in my build to handle the loss though.
    Xvorg wrote: »
    Hey, everybody.

Thank you for your time.

That is a really good set! Cool thing is you have enough stam sustain to run defiles like reverberating bash or penetration like pierce armor. Sometimes making more damage stick is better than doing more damage that is healed.

I choose it for perma blocking and gap closing with shielded assault, and the extra spell dmg. Then I discover the magic of the full heavy attack with resto staff and the nearly 4 K magicka recovery

Great set for an mDK

In the wrong house
    I took the wrong road
  • EldritchPenguin
    EldritchPenguin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Based on all these wonderful replies, I think I'm going to opt for 5 Black Rose/Seducer, 5 Spellweave/Sun, and 2 Engine Guardian with Witchmother's Brew and the Thief Stone, and a build for a different class that calls for 5 Shalk. xP

Thank you all for your replies.

• lucky_Sage
    lucky_Sage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wear 5 burning spellweave and 5 bloodthorn and either 2 bloodspawn or scoria havnt got grontaar yet
    DC PC NA
    Magdk - main
    Stamcro - alt

AD PS4 NA -retired (PC runs way better to play on console)
    magdk
    magblade
    stamplar
    magden
    magsorc

• AverageJo3Gam3r
    AverageJo3Gam3r
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Based on all these wonderful replies, I think I'm going to opt for 5 Black Rose/Seducer, 5 Spellweave/Sun, and 2 Engine Guardian with Witchmother's Brew and the Thief Stone, and a build for a different class that calls for 5 Shalk. xP

@EldritchPenguin that sounds solid. A sustain set, a damage set, and a monster set. Good luck!
  • psychotic13
    psychotic13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm using a destro/Resto on my magdk, x2 grothdar, x5 sun x5 BSW
  • Ishammael
    Ishammael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Sounds solid! Come back and tell us how your setup works out after you have tested for a while.

• Armitas
    Armitas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

If you use Blessing or restoration, draw essence, or obsidian shard as a primary heal source then go with spellweave over sun. Sun won't increase the healing on those skills, but BSW will.
    Edited by Armitas on December 9, 2016 4:03PM
    Retired.
    Nord mDK
  • Vanzen
    Vanzen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most OP set of all in mass pvp is Desert Rose ....

It almost feel like you were using a hack to get Infinite magicka ..

Edited by Vanzen on December 9, 2016 5:33PM
  • EldritchPenguin
    EldritchPenguin
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If you use Blessing or restoration, draw essence, or obsidian shard as a primary heal source then go with spellweave over sun. Sun won't increase the healing on those skills, but BSW will.
    Yeah, I'm planning on getting BSW, it's just that I actually have a 5 piece Sun set. I even managed to get my hands on a Sharpened axe.

I'm going to get my sustain set and my monster set first, if I can. Sun should tide me over until then.
    Vanzen wrote: »
    Most OP set of all in mass pvp is Desert Rose ....
    But isn't Desert Rose in light armor? I mean, I could use it on my jewelry and weapons, but that's where I'm putting my damage set.

• Vanzen
    Vanzen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rattle cage ...

Not as powerfull as BSW but I love the permanent major sorcery it gives And the free slot you get, you can really get all the skills you want thanks to this.
    Edited by Vanzen on December 9, 2016 5:51PM
  • Blackfyre20
    Blackfyre20
    ✭✭✭✭
    Doesn't trainee set only come in training aside from some of the unique rewards from quests? Would like to run this with BSW but its impossible to have 5 impen pieces then right?
    Buff Soft Caps
  • AverageJo3Gam3r
    AverageJo3Gam3r
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Blackfyre20 you can get a sharpened sword, powered resto, and reinforced chest from doing the quests on stros mkai. Bleakrock quests will give you a sharpened dagger and an impen shield. I think a sturdy chest exists too but not sure. Use treasure maps for the starter islands to find jewelry. Took me 30 maps or so to fill out a blue arcane set. It drops in purple too, just rarer.

With those you can build out a 5pc without needing training gear. I use the jewelry, sword, resto staff, and reinforced heavy chest piece to make my 5 set.
  • Blackfyre20
    Blackfyre20
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Blackfyre20 you can get a sharpened sword, powered resto, and reinforced chest from doing the quests on stros mkai. Bleakrock quests will give you a sharpened dagger and an impen shield. I think a sturdy chest exists too but not sure. Use treasure maps for the starter islands to find jewelry. Took me 30 maps or so to fill out a blue arcane set. It drops in purple too, just rarer.

With those you can build out a 5pc without needing training gear. I use the jewelry, sword, resto staff, and reinforced heavy chest piece to make my 5 set.

Thanks for the info. I'd like to run 5 pieces heavy though so I have BSW jewelry/2 pieces. I have my heavy monster set so I'd need 3 trainee armor pieces, none of which I can get in impen so I think I'll just have to find another set.
    Buff Soft Caps
  • Adenoma
    Adenoma
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been torn on whether to run a resto. I have a defending VMA resto, but can't find space on my bars to run rapid regen. Thoughts on S&B/resto?

@Armitas , that's exactly the reason I opted for BSW rather than sun.
    Edited by Adenoma on December 9, 2016 6:53PM
  • AverageJo3Gam3r
    AverageJo3Gam3r
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Blackfyre20 yeah, hard to work trainee and a light armor dps set and stay in heavy. I will say, though, between volatile, the reinforced heavy chest, I haven't noticed a drop off in survivability.

@Adenoma I run a resto on back bar but only use healing ward.