Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Mages Guild still level 9 after collecting all lorebooks in 14 zones

m85hd
m85hd
Soul Shriven
I have collected all lorebooks in 14 zones (all 10 and i got the bonus for them) but I barely hit level 9. Is that normal? I remember i only needed 11-12 zones when I did it on another character a year ago.
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's completing the sets. You actually only need your starter zones 1-5, cold harbour, dungeon books and the rare ones in Cyro to top out. But you must complete the sets as there's bonus XP.
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • m85hd
    m85hd
    Soul Shriven
    Thank you for the reply. Like I said i completed the sets in 14 zones and I already got the bonus for them but I barely hit level 9. The only zones I have left are Coldharbour and Eastmarch which I collected 7 and 9 books in respectively. Even If i completed the set for the remaining 2 I will not even be halfway to level 10. Please tell me if that's normal or should I send a ticket.

Thank you
  • Spaceclown
    Spaceclown
    ✭✭
    did you do the quest they wanted you to do also?
    expert milk drinker
  • AzuraKin
    AzuraKin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beardimus wrote: »
    It's completing the sets. You actually only need your starter zones 1-5, cold harbour, dungeon books and the rare ones in Cyro to top out. But you must complete the sets as there's bonus XP.

not true, you need all the ones you mentioned plus silver zone (based on my third toon that has only done cyrodil, dungeons, dlc's, and starter alliance lore books (have all) and is still 100 points shy of mage 10.
    Edited by AzuraKin on December 4, 2016 4:50AM
    v160 spellsword (nightblade)
    v160 restoration archmage (Templar)
    v160 battlemage (sorcerer)
    v160 restoration archmage (Templar)
    v160 warrior (DragonKnight)
    v160 assassin (nightblade)
    v160 swordsman (sorcerer)
    v160 spellsword (nightblade)
  • m85hd
    m85hd
    Soul Shriven
    Spaceclown wrote: »
    did you do the quest they wanted you to do also?

Yes I did the first quest they gave me (long lost lore) and I also did the wizard tome.
  • Kamatsu
    Kamatsu
    ✭✭✭✭
    Are you doing the Mages Guild daily quest's?

These provide 10 Mage Guild rep points per turn in, so if your having trouble getting to level 10 via books this might be a way to get there. These quest's can be found in the Mages Guild in your alliances capital city, and send you out to retrieve a 'relic' in one of the public dungeons - you do not have to have done any of the Mages Guild quest line to do these dailies.
    o_O
  • Glaiceana
    Glaiceana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    As far as I remember, the reason my mages guild never maxed out was because I didn't actually finish off the last few parts of the mages guild main quest :D Once I did that, I belive I found one or two more books and it finally was allowed to max out.
    Priests of Hircine
    Werewolves who bite for FREE! PC/EU
    Our total free bites: 7000+
    Guild Subreddit | Forum Thread | YouTube Playlist
    Total Champion Points: 1000+
    Main Character: Ithaera - Stam DK, Nord, Female, DD, Werewolf.
    Rothelnog - Stam NB, Orc, Male, DD, Werewolf.
    J'Xena - Mag DK, Khajiit, Female, DD, Werewolf.
    Dances-With-Frost-Dragons - DK, Argonian, Male, Tank, Werewolf.
    Raziel The Paradox - Mag TP, Dark Elf, Male, DD, Vampire.
    Swims-Through-Starlight - TP, Argonian, Female, Healer, Werewolf.
    Glaicean Mag Ward, High Elf, Male, Ice DD, Werewolf.
    Hjurne Hircine's Forsaken - Sorc, Redguard, Male, PvP DD, Werewolf.
    My Total Free Werewolf Bites: 400+ (Ask me about bites if you need one!)
    Playing since July 2015!
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So you still have the 15th zone and Coldharbor left?

I am currently leveling a character and am almost to L8 in the Mages Guild and I have only collected books in 5 or 6 zones. So, while you have may have completed the collections you may still have missed some books as not all books in a zone are part of that zones collection. I have completed collections with a few books left unfound.

Are you on PC, do you have an Addon called Lore Books that shows you were the Lore Books are?
    Edited by Nestor on December 5, 2016 4:21PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• m85hd
    m85hd
    Soul Shriven
    Nestor wrote: »
    So you still have the 15th zone and Coldharbor left?

I am currently leveling a character and am almost to L8 in the Mages Guild and I have only collected books in 5 or 6 zones. So, while you have may have completed the collections you may still have missed some books as not all books in a zone are part of that zones collection. I have completed collections with a few books left unfound.

Are you on PC, do you have an Addon called Lore Books that shows you were the Lore Books are?

I'm On PS4. I use the journal > Lore library to check which books i'm missing and then look them up in dulfy site. Today I finished the 15th zone and I only have 3 books left in coldharbour. By finishing a zone I mean collecting the 10/10 books set named after the zone in the lore library. All I'm asking is for someone who has leveled up the Mages guild skill line after the one tamriel patch to confirm if you truly need to find every single lorebook in the game now to reach level 10 or not, because at the rate my bar is moving that seems to be the only way (unless I rely on the dailies which will take me weeks). As I said earlier, I leveled another character before one tamriel and I only needed 11-12 sets to do that. If What's happening in my game is not normal, I will try ESO support. I just need a confirmation.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As I posted earlier, I have partially leveled a character through the Mages Guild, not all the way. However, I don't see any reason why it would be different for Pre-1T. The last two tiers do require significantly more books per level than earlier ones so that will explain why the bar moves slower.

I do remember having to clear most all the zones, including Cold Harbor, not Cyrodiil, to gain the 10th Level from Books alone. This is different than near game release when it took the 5 Alliance Zones, Coldharbor and one to two other zones to gain L10.

As for clearing collections, have you completed the ones like the Dwemer Books that span multiple zones. I don't know how many of those categories there are, but I think there are a few of them. Also there are around 12 to 15 books per zone, far more than the 10/10 it takes for the Zone Lore completion. So, just basing your progress on that alone means your leaving a few books per zone unread.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Gorilla
    Gorilla
    ✭✭✭
    Kamatsu wrote: »
    Are you doing the Mages Guild daily quest's?

These provide 10 Mage Guild rep points per turn in, so if your having trouble getting to level 10 via books this might be a way to get there. These quest's can be found in the Mages Guild in your alliances capital city, and send you out to retrieve a 'relic' in one of the public dungeons - you do not have to have done any of the Mages Guild quest line to do these dailies.

Holy **** Thank you! I had no idea this was possible. Am dying to close out the skill line.

Thanks!

@Kamatsu
  • DRXHarbinger
    DRXHarbinger
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You've done something wrong here. You only need the main zone books 10 each and then dungeon lore 17 books to close it off. These can all be done solo too. Only spindle, blessed and tempest requires you to fight a boss. Coh1 just keep right at the 2nd boss. All very very easy.
    PC Master Race

1001CP
    8 Flawless Toons, all Classes.
    Master Angler
    Dro-M'artha Destroyer (at last)
    Tamriel Hero
    Grand Overlord
    Every Skyshard
    Down With BOP!
  • HoolDog
    HoolDog
    ✭✭✭
    Just done my mages guild to 10... took me 200-210 books, with as many set completions as I could easily get using the lore book guides online.
  • bebynnag
    bebynnag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    HoolDog wrote: »
    Just done my mages guild to 10... took me 200-210 books, with as many set completions as I could easily get using the lore book guides online.

congrats i too used dulfy for a long time, but as the information was posted many a moon ago the information is not up to date anymore and is missing certain books from collections that are actually quite easy to find

i find it more effective (and i have leveled mages guild on 9 toons all together) to complete all the collections, so the dwemer books, the daedric prices etc; not just the zone books. if the dulfy guide doesn have it, enter the books name into google the information is out there (usually right here on the forums because some other console player has asked some one with the add on to help them - LOL)