The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Crown Gem Conversions and the Equivalent Cost in Dollars of an Apex Mount

Pepper8Jack
Pepper8Jack
✭✭✭
Did a quick sampler today, since Crown Crates just went live, for the sake of running the math of how much it would cost to buy an Apex Reward using the current crown gem conversion system.

Important notes:
-Only had 2000 Crowns, so sample size is very small (5 Crates)
-All conversions are done using the largest bundles available, so as to get the minimum amount spent (i.e. 15 Crown Crates = 5000 Crowns, 5500 Crowns = $40)
-If factoring in a Crown sale, multiply final total by 50%
-Given that the more crates you open, the more likely you are to get duplicates, this math isn't completely accurate, but there are enough possible items in the store to make this a worthy rough approximation.
-Each "Common" and "Fine" tier reward is worth 1 Gem per Card, not per Item (i.e. 25 Lethal Poisons = 1 Gem, NOT 25 Gems)
-No item received from the higher tiers was a duplicate

5 Crates:
-Apex: 0
-Legendary: 1
-Epic: 1
-Superior: 4
-Fine: 5
-Common: 12

Doing a complete Gem Conversion on all available items gave 15 Gems, netting an average of 3 Gems/crate. We can therefore assume that you would need 134 Crates to acquire enough Gems to purchase an Apex Reward.

Given the available bundles, we can calculate that each crate costs an average of approximately $2.42

This means that acquiring enough gems to purchase an apex mount would cost approximately $324.28

Note: This method can be applied to every item available for puchase via Crown Gems, simply multiply the number of gems needed by $0.8107/Gem

Therefore:
-Apex: $324.28
-Legendary: $81.07
-Epic: $32.43
-Superior: $12.97
-Fine: $4.05
-Common: $2.43

Conclusions:

Again, all of this math is based on the assumptions of no duplicating items, so a larger sample size would be necessary to determine the frequency of higher tiered rewards and the frequency of duplicate drops to generate a more accurate estimation. This is not intended in any way to persuade one way or another, this is simply information I calculated that I thought some in the community might find valuable. Though from this information, one can see that each common reward is worth roughly the same as the cost of the entire crate.

Edit:

Immediately after posting I saw Deltia's $100 crate opening video, so thought I should include an addendum with the data from his video as well. He bought 45 Crates (15000 Crowns), and had everything been converted he would have received a total of 396 Gems including the duplicate drops. Even though he called it a $100 opening, 15000 Crowns would cost roughly $109.09, So he was 1 crate away from an Apex mount after $110.

Conversion Rates:
-Apex: Unknown
-Legendary: 33 Gems/Card
-Epic: 13 Gems/Card
-Superior: 5 Gems/Card
-Fine: 1 Gem/Card
-Common: 1 Gem/Card

Thanks @Deltia for the additional data
Edited by Pepper8Jack on December 1, 2016 7:03PM
  • Algraxa
    Algraxa
    ✭✭✭
    I sampled from a much larger pool. 155 creates = 1500 gem return for me and that was with a Apex already pulled in the deck and I kept the high value XP scrolls, 3 in all and all the riding training (about 3-5 of each.) got 9 Legendary items, not sure how many of the lower as I was not keeping track

Purchased the gems on sale. Cost=249.50

(edit 155 creates not 150)
    Edited by Algraxa on December 1, 2016 7:41PM
    Options
  • Pepper8Jack
    Pepper8Jack
    ✭✭✭
    Algraxa wrote: »
    I sampled from a much larger pool. 150 creates = 1500 gem return for me and that was with a Apex already pulled in the deck and I kept the high value XP scrolls, 3 in all and all the riding training (about 3-5 of each.)

Thanks for the info,

As I predicted it seems that the more crates you purchase the higher the return rate on crown gems/crate you get due to duplicates.

This would mean that each successive time you acquire enough Gems to get an Apex reward the number of crates necessary to get the next would be theoretically lower.
    Options
  • Algraxa
    Algraxa
    ✭✭✭
    Algraxa wrote: »
    I sampled from a much larger pool. 150 creates = 1500 gem return for me and that was with a Apex already pulled in the deck and I kept the high value XP scrolls, 3 in all and all the riding training (about 3-5 of each.)

Thanks for the info,

As I predicted it seems that the more crates you purchase the higher the return rate on crown gems/crate you get due to duplicates.

This would mean that each successive time you acquire enough Gems to get an Apex reward the number of crates necessary to get the next would be theoretically lower.

Agreed... You need to fill up the available slots (pull items), now every pull = Gems for me at this point.

Edited by Algraxa on December 1, 2016 7:39PM
    Options
  • Algraxa
    Algraxa
    ✭✭✭
    Now that almost all the slots are full...

I purchased another 17 create

This netted another APEX mount, and 398 gems (one pull with a special bonus card netted me 71 gems! two 33 gem duplicate items along with a 5 gem dupe) Granted that pull was crazy.

So, mu current return with most slots filled looks like this

Apex Camel Atro = 400 gems
    Gems gained through dupes = 398 gems

Total gems for 17 creates = 798 gems for about $45.00 (about 5.6 cents per gem value)

Edited by Algraxa on December 1, 2016 8:16PM
    Options
  • Lukums1
    Lukums1
    ✭✭✭✭
    I purchased 15 Crown Crates obtained the following:

Wolf Atro mount.
    Atro Aura
    Atro transform
    2 New Pups

Rest was junk.

However I spent another $50.00 even though I had obtained everything I wanted from the $50.00 investment.

I ended up after the $100.00 investment 150 crowns.

However. I got most of all the collectibles - which then means everything from now on will be doubles.

I firmly believe you can obtain a mount (if you don't get one with 30 crates that you'll have close to enough gems with that $200.00) investment.
    PS4 Yellow Scum Dominion
    1600+ vMA runs and counting
    Magicka Sorc - Flawless - 544k Score
    Stam Sorc - Flawless - 559k Score
    Stam DK - FLAWLESS 512k Score
    Stam NB - 492k Score - Work in progress
    Magicka Temp - 482k Score

The Ozmeric Dominion (Oceanic) Australian Based Guild

vMA "guru" - VHRC - vSO - vSOHM - vDSA - vAA - vMOL
    The Maelstrom BIBLE for beginners/Flawless Achieve Below
    https://www.twitch.tv/lukumms/v/111730700
    https://www.twitch.tv/videos/181142505

You have vMA questions? Want a guide? Helping hand? PM me!

Returns after 6 months back to back flawless
    https://go.twitch.tv/videos/180384648

Options