The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Why are all factions holding hands?

• TequilaFire
    TequilaFire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    CosmicSoul wrote: »
    Rastoide wrote: »
    Its something thats been buggin me for a while now. Since there's soposed to be an all in war between the 3 and what not.. Why are we all friends except in Cyrodill?

I would love some world pvp of some sort. Any really. Pvp dungeons? If its not gonna be open world pvp BECAUSE <insert 1m reasons here>, at least some other form of conflict around the PvE world. There would be nothing wrong with that. What i really cant understand is why are we all holding hands..?

Because this is a pve centered mmorpg with added pvp, there are other mmorpgs with a pvp focus and mobas you know, most people who come to eso are interested in pve, and why does it bother you so much? If that is how they want to play it is not your place to complain since they are the ones who spent money on their games.

Oh Really? Guess all of us who PvP got a free game!
  • Nyghthowler
    Nyghthowler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cencewolf wrote: »
    Personally, I would LOVE it if ZoS would make an open world PVP server for y'all so I could lmao at all the "HardCore" PvP'ers who would never use it because they wouldn't have anyone to gank and feel good about themselves...

I do not gank because i need to gank to feel good about myself. I gank, because it adds substance to my game both in an offensive, and a defensive way (where i too am forced to protect myself less i fall pray to others) you live in a sheltered world, like most "players" here, and cant be blamed for the narrow view. I forgive you for that. Since we both play in a world where you currently "have your way" cherish the luxury.

As Turok Redclaw would say ... MilkSop!
    Then back your statements with action and go play in Cyrodiil where you can get your PvP fix. I don't have a narrow view, I don't care for forced PvP just because you want to get your rocks off by ganking PvE'ers.

I'm not prejudiced; I hate everyone equally !
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    MajinCry wrote: »
    What I expected from the whole Alliance War thing, was that once you entered a campaign, you get taken to a shell of Tamriel; access to all the zones, but with the villages, outposts, towers and cities being set up as capturable locations. Exactly like Cyrodiil's alliance buildings, but on a grander scale.

But, no, we've just got the one zone to do open PvP in, and it's the same once since beta.

wow, this is an incredible idea!
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • GrumpyDuckling
    GrumpyDuckling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's simple. Unite to defeat a greater enemy.
  • Riejael
    Riejael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its something thats been buggin me for a while now. Since there's soposed to be an all in war between the 3 and what not.. Why are we all friends except in Cyrodill?

Lorewise we're not. You CANNOT enter enemy territory. Not normally anyway.

However.. what has happened.. at least from a lore perspective is when you do go to another alliance's area. They see you as one of their own. This was an enchantment you receive from the prophet. Before the Tamriel unlimited patch, this wasn't possible before you did the Coldharbor/Harborage questlines.

If you haven't done those when the game first came out. It could seem like the alliances and the players who belong to them are all happy holding hands. Its not actually like that in the lore however.

Back before Tamriel unlimited I remember doing Coldharbor at around 50 for the Ebonheart Pact and being sent to Glenumbra fighting mobs that were VR1-3. And I didn't see Daggerfall Covenant players, but other VR1+ EBH players. This changed with the patch so we can group and such together.

It was done for mechanics reasons. It shortened queues. Allowed players to group and play together regardless of faciton or level. And improved the game experience all round IMO.
  • Nerouyn
    Nerouyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭

So you haven't played the main story quest? Because at the end of that we're all holding hands.

.... and there's some bizarre sidenote about how we need to pretend we're still at war. Not that that makes any sense at all but it's necessary to justify Cyrodiil pvp. So please just don't think about it.
  • kyle.wilson
    kyle.wilson
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I would love some world pvp of some sort. Any really. Pvp dungeons? If its not gonna be open world pvp BECAUSE <insert 1m reasons here>, at least some other form of conflict around the PvE world. There would be nothing wrong with that. What i really cant understand is why are we all holding hands..?

Logged in the other day to this. Reds and blues sieging a keep side by side. May not look like many, but when I pushed in at least a dozen came out of stealth to bomb me.
    #zergbros

rG7Q7n1.png
  • WhiteMage
    WhiteMage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Plotholes in an MMO? Lol well ya, but it's not like it's a work of literature. True open world PvP is every PvPer's dream. Imagine, a world of PvEers and scrubs roaming all over the place, practically defenseless in the face of your skill and specialized build (or procs and other cancer). The thing about this is, in ESO at least, you would be literally killing your competition, curb stomping them such that they wouldn't come back more than a couple times. It would drive the (apparently) typical player in ESO away as effectively as--but much quicker than--a poor combat system drives away competitive gamers.

I remember when ESO was in beta. This game was supposed to be the death of the MMO I was playing at the time (it wasn't but that game is reaching the end of its lifespan). Many people say PvP was an afterthought for this game, but in that game it actually was; we once went years without a PvP dev, and PvP was a last minute addition to the game with sloppy code implementation that hounded the devs whenever they wanted to change something major. PvE was supreme, and they did a beautiful job of it, but PvP-types like me were looking forward to the promise of PvP in ESO--because really, the PvE in this game ain't that special, it's just got the newest tech. The things that wowed me were the megaservers, the upgraded graphics, and the emperorship--and I have to say it delivered.

There's no need to shoot down wishes for totally open world PvP or a server dedicated to it because the reasons against it are so obvious to even the people suggesting it. It would either destroy the game based on assumptions about the player base (7 million in and out players are casual enough to leave the moment they get rekt) or the map would just be far too wide to find anyone to fight, respectively.

And no, PvP is not a secondary issue, or an afterthought. It was a major selling point of the game for many of us, and we even have our own dev! (I'm starting to realize just how poorly PvP was treated in my old MMO that this is such a big deal to me) If you want to talk about something being an afterthought in ESO, look at the latest iteration of the combat system!

Sorry, Wrobel, that was a cheap shot.
    The generally amicable yet sporadically salty magplar that may or may not have 1vXed you in Sotha Sil. Who knows?
  • Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What I expected from the whole Alliance War thing, was that once you entered a campaign, you get taken to a shell of Tamriel; access to all the zones, but with the villages, outposts, towers and cities being set up as capturable locations. Exactly like Cyrodiil's alliance buildings, but on a grander scale.

But, no, we've just got the one zone to do open PvP in, and it's the same once since beta.

Damn, that actually sounds fun
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Riejael wrote: »

Lorewise we're not. You CANNOT enter enemy territory. Not normally anyway.

However.. what has happened.. at least from a lore perspective is when you do go to another alliance's area. They see you as one of their own. This was an enchantment you receive from the prophet. Before the Tamriel unlimited patch, this wasn't possible before you did the Coldharbor/Harborage questlines.
    Meridia, not the Prophet. But yes. Enemy players are seen as friendly due to her involvement.

Smitch_59 wrote: »
    ESO should die. Then maybe we'll get TES VI. Single player, the way TES games were meant to be.
    If ZOS canned ESO and started making TES VI, it would be rubbish. Only BGS should make single player TES games. Since ZOS don't have anything better to do, they might as well continue with ESO.
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • Epona222
    Epona222
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

You didn't do much research about the game then, because it has been clear for nearly 3 years (including some time before release) that there are PvE zones and a PvP zone. Try using google or looking at some reviews before you buy your next game!
    GM - Ghost Sea Trading Co - NA PC

Epona was a Romano-Celtic goddess dating back to around 1800 to 2000 years before computer games were invented.
  • Bryanonymous
    Bryanonymous
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because the game isn't open world PvP, and a lot of players don't want it to be. Not only that, but how many have alts in each faction... The alliance war is just another story line that can be ignored if one chooses to. And many do.
  • Fodore
    Fodore
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'd like to see group pvp dungeons where you get put into a group or have one and queu up for a dungeon that is basically one big pvp arena
    Before judging a man walk a mile in his shoes.
    After that who cares?
    They're a mile away and you've got their shoes.
  • Mush55
    Mush55
    ✭✭✭✭
    ESO is stupid. Millions of "chosen one" vestiges running around doing the same quests. Alliances made up of races that hate each other.

ESO should die. Then maybe we'll get TES VI. Single player, the way TES games were meant to be.

Trouble is some of us like mmo's and this is currently the best of a mediocre bunch at the moment . I like grouping and being in a good guild and I also like having to work for my stuff, single player games on the whole do not do it for me.

So we are stuck here even with this watered down representation of an mmo.
  • Epona222
    Epona222
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm fairly sure that even the devs have said that it's not an MMO, it's an online RPG - which suits me just fine, but if you are expecting MMO then this may not turn out to be the game you are looking for.

Epona was a Romano-Celtic goddess dating back to around 1800 to 2000 years before computer games were invented.
  • Jemcrystal
    Jemcrystal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think OP is saying s/he wants a PvP state? But if OP means the npc's I should show you a clip of me trying to get to a dolmen in non-Ebonheart territory and getting shot, surrounded, tripped and caged in by aggressive city dwellers. Or maybe it's because I'm a dark elf. Everyone hates us.

Hehee. Wise.
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are times I dearly miss open world PvP and I say that even though I was never especially good at it. But what I have always wanted from open world PvP is roleplayers PvPing for "in character" reasons. Since there is no roleplay server and since even in games where there are RP servers there is no enforcement of the RP ruleset in any MMO this is an impossible dream I have given up.

What I do see among those who call for open world PvP is that they are doing it because they want to be able to attack people who don't wish to PvP. Bottom line. Instead of desiring competition among their peers who focus on PvP they do in fact want to be able to gank people who don't stand a chance against them. That's their idea of fun and it's why they are upset that PvP is confined to one (HUGE) zone. Dueling isn't what they want because it can be declined. They don't want to go to a "hardcore" PvP game like Dark Souls because what they are seeking is the "crybaby tears" of people who are not interested in PvP.
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

• ItsGlaive
    ItsGlaive
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because ppl are whiny little safe space loving nubs,. And dont call them that you might hurt feelings. 8(

I think you might be in the wrong place. The_Donald is over there >
    Allow cross-platform transfers and merges
  • ItsGlaive
    ItsGlaive
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This sounds absolutely fantastic, man I'd have loved that!
  • Rune_Relic
    Rune_Relic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    WhiteMage wrote: »
    Plotholes in an MMO? Lol well ya, but it's not like it's a work of literature. True open world PvP is every PvPer's dream. Imagine, a world of PvEers and scrubs roaming all over the place, practically defenseless in the face of your skill and specialized build (or procs and other cancer). The thing about this is, in ESO at least, you would be literally killing your competition, curb stomping them such that they wouldn't come back more than a couple times. It would drive the (apparently) typical player in ESO away as effectively as--but much quicker than--a poor combat system drives away competitive gamers.

I remember when ESO was in beta. This game was supposed to be the death of the MMO I was playing at the time (it wasn't but that game is reaching the end of its lifespan). Many people say PvP was an afterthought for this game, but in that game it actually was; we once went years without a PvP dev, and PvP was a last minute addition to the game with sloppy code implementation that hounded the devs whenever they wanted to change something major. PvE was supreme, and they did a beautiful job of it, but PvP-types like me were looking forward to the promise of PvP in ESO--because really, the PvE in this game ain't that special, it's just got the newest tech. The things that wowed me were the megaservers, the upgraded graphics, and the emperorship--and I have to say it delivered.

There's no need to shoot down wishes for totally open world PvP or a server dedicated to it because the reasons against it are so obvious to even the people suggesting it. It would either destroy the game based on assumptions about the player base (7 million in and out players are casual enough to leave the moment they get rekt) or the map would just be far too wide to find anyone to fight, respectively.

And no, PvP is not a secondary issue, or an afterthought. It was a major selling point of the game for many of us, and we even have our own dev! (I'm starting to realize just how poorly PvP was treated in my old MMO that this is such a big deal to me) If you want to talk about something being an afterthought in ESO, look at the latest iteration of the combat system!

That is in fact how it all started out in a way.

1000s of solo ES players and a few hardcore PvP MMO players.
    For the most part the ES players had no concept of team play and how to git gud.
    I was one of those lambs.
    Their idea of combat was 100s of 1v1s all over the place.
    And there was no lag.

Then we had the gud MMO PvP groups and players.
    It was like lambs ot the slaughter for them.
    Nearly everyone was an AP farm or 1vX opportunity.
    They absolutely revelled in their Buff & Stack Glory.

But even then the writing was on the wall.
    Those 1v1 players noticed terrible lag being stuck in those endless AoE ulitmates hitting everyone.
    So they tried desperately to avoid the Pain Trains of death.
    Except a few of the PvP MMO pros.
    They saw this as an opportunity for bombs groups to stack even more aoe and hit even more people.
    So the lag got worse.

As time went on those 1v1 players got sick of dying and ...got gud!
    They too said...hey...why dont we all stack aoe and ultimate and wipe everyone too.
    Admitted they were bad at it to begin with.
    But everyone eventually learns given time.

So here we are.
    1vX crying that all the sheep have gone and kills are much harder to come by.
    Zergs rollings everywhere.
    Lag far beyond anything the system can cope with due to all the AoE and Ults flying everywhere.

No one using 1v1 anymore.
    Its just stack in groups and AoE each other.

1v1 and AoE had their own evolution of the species.
    1v1 lost.....the server died.
    Edited by Rune_Relic on December 1, 2016 12:37PM
    Anything that can be exploited will be exploited
  • WuffyCerulei
    WuffyCerulei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Because ppl are whiny little safe space loving nubs,. And dont call them that you might hurt feelings. 8(

arguecat.png
    For the love of Kyne, buff sorc. PC NACP 2100+Star-Sïnger - Khajiit Magicka Sorc - EP Grand Overlord - Flawless Conqueror vMA/vBRP/vDSA no death/vHel Ra HM/vAA HM/vSO HM/vMoL HM/vHoF HM/vAS +2/vCR+3/vSS HMs/vKA HMs/vVH/vRG Oax HM/vDSR
  • ItsGlaive
    ItsGlaive
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rune_Relic wrote: »

For the most part the ES players had no concept of team play and how to git gud.
    And there was no lag.

Those 1v1 players noticed terrible lag being stuck in those endless AoE ulitmates hitting everyone.
    They saw this as an opportunity for bombs groups to stack even more aoe and hit even more people.
    So the lag got worse.

They too said...hey...why dont we all stack aoe and ultimate and wipe everyone too.

So here we are.
    Lag far beyond anything the system can cope with due to all the AoE and Ults flying everywhere.

Not quite how I remember it. Barely any 1v1 at all.

In week 1 of early access we were in Cyrodiil, two full groups in our faction running side by side, full-on large-scale faction war. Oh and almost zero lag and minor FPS drop. Man, those were the days!
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ESO is stupid. Millions of "chosen one" vestiges running around doing the same quests. Alliances made up of races that hate each other.

This is the trap so many MMOs fall into. The Main Story is treated like a single player game. Which makes NO logical sense. And it destroys (yes, I'm going to use that word) immersion. So then those of us who want the world to make sense are forced to ignore it. Which is an imperfect solution at best.

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

• Epona222
    Epona222
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Rune_Relic wrote: »

And there was no lag.

So the lag got worse.

So here we are.

1v1 and AoE had their own evolution of the species.
    1v1 lost.....the server died.

You missed out the bit where zeni introduced AoE caps, which although it sounds like it is a good thing for solo or small group players, actually made game performance a whole lot worse and more laggy, by introducing a whole new load of calculations for your PC.

• SinnyLee
    SinnyLee
    Soul Shriven
    Because people don't want to be forced to PVP. Enough said!
  • Awakatanka
    Awakatanka
    ✭✭

Because this is a pve centered mmorpg with added pvp, there are other mmorpgs with a pvp focus and mobas you know, most people who come to eso are interested in pve, and why does it bother you so much? If that is how they want to play it is not your place to complain since they are the ones who spent money on their games.

If you look at the first advertising from them they let it look like it is a pvp centered mmo
  • Epona222
    Epona222
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Awakatanka wrote: »

If you look at the first advertising from them they let it look like it is a pvp centered mmo

The reality is though that it is a quest-centered online RPG with PvP tagged on. Like it or leave it, that is what the game is.

• Belicourt
    Belicourt
    ✭✭✭
    nexxus_ESO wrote: »
    If you want world-wide PVP, advocate for your own PVP server. Seriously. Thread after thread after thread after thread that basically boils down to PVP wanting to invade PVE. It's not going to happen. They gave PVP dueling and what happened? It's being abused by every inconsiderate a**hat out there cluttering up the banks, the wayshrines, the undaunted camps, the guild vendor areas, lagging us all to hell, congesting areas that were already crowded to begin with, and making it impossible to get anything done in a timely fashion. It's abused, so why would anyone in PVE trust letting PVP loose in the open world even further? If it can be abused, it'll be abused 100 times over.

In all these threads, a PVP world server isn't ever brought up. Why is that? It's a heck of alot easier for them to set aside an instance of something that already exists and make it a free-for-all PVP world, than it's going to be to deal with the lag, abuse, and loss of customers because PVP cannot behave themselves and just want to gank people who aren't equipped, skilled, prepared for, nor interested in PVP.

Ask for your own NA-PVP, EU-PVP servers already! I'm sure there are plenty of PVE people who would happily advocate for it on your behalf to help make it a reality.

id vote super yes

Every bit, this. There are too many people that wanted skyrim or oblivion online. it was made and marketed as an mmo or for the pvp.

The mega server was such a great idea as well as a big undertaking, but i think you are right, there just needs to be a pvp shard. It allows to relieve the pvp or general server lag while turning cyrodiil back into what it was meant to be. Your ganking people will be where it makes more sense for them to be - in open world where they are not detracting from the allaiance war. i think itd end up being more populated than a pve server as well.
    Edited by Belicourt on December 1, 2016 1:06PM
  • Bryanonymous
    Bryanonymous
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awakatanka wrote: »

Lmao, if you look at the original marketing video, it made the game look like it was going to be.... Well, pretty much this:
    https://youtu.be/0jNT5cMwxw0
    Dem' graphics! XD
    Epona222 wrote: »
    The reality is though that it is a quest-centered online RPG with PvP tagged on. Like it or leave it, that is what the game is.
    That's what the Skyrim base asked for. Unfortunately, they've catered way too much to PvP at the cost of this ideal.
    Edited by Bryanonymous on December 1, 2016 1:31PM
  • MAOofDC
    MAOofDC
    ✭✭✭✭
    People who want ESO to be PvP everywhere remind me of guy I used to share a house with. He played another game that had dedicated PvP servers, game's acronym rhymed with cow(you know which one I'm talking about). I also played the game but on a PvE server he gave me crap all the time about how much of a *** I was for not playing on the PvP server. The thing was all he did was hang around the low level area of the other faction and try to perform as many stealth one shot troll kills on lowbies until some higg level guy come around looking for him then he would fade away and find some other poor *** to troll. To top it off he would then send tells to his victims telling them how *** they are and to "GiT GuD". Basically be an *** bully in the game, when I asked why he did that he said because that's what happened to him when he was a lowbie on that server. I don't know about you but there are enough *** bullies in the real world I don't need them in my game world also. The real funny thing though is when he did try PvE he always got his ass handed to him by NPCs because he had the wrong gear and was using sub-par skill for NPCs. That being said I fully support the idea of a PvP server for people who want to do that I doubt you will ever find a fight though since the zones are kinda big and the NPC guards will always kill you in the long run since they are unkillable. I doubt this will ever be a reality though sine ZoS would have to spend money on maintaining them and I doubt they will every have the population to justify the cost. The population numbers on the PvP servers for that other game were always low and when they added new servers to accommodate the growing popularity of their game they NEVER had to add a new PvP server but always added new PvE ones.

For all the PvPers who say that you've been ignored the whole time this game has been out and that Cyrodiil is the only place to PvP did you forget about Imperial City? IC is another zone to PvP in with the added bonus of some really rough boss type NPCs to fight while worrying about getting ganked. Also IC is more suited to the smaller sized groups unlike the Zergland know as Cyrodiil. Cyrodiil is also the LARGEST zone in the game hands down no other zone comes close. Have you ever tried to ride from one side of the map to the other without the transitis system takes a good 30 mins and that's with a max speed horse.
    Guild Master of the Guild <The Wrath of Sheogorath>. CHEESE AND CABBAGE FOR EVERYONE!!!