The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8100050/#Comment_8100050

[Player Suggestion] Re-haul the CP System to support strategic diversity!

ClockworkArc
ClockworkArc
✭✭✭
As pointed out in Fengrush's recent video, the CP system is one of the major problems currently holding back PvP in ESO as the TTK and unlimited resources hamper the ways in which you can defeat an opponent. I'd therefore like to propose a rehaul of the CP system. In this post I also want to suggest a design that supports strategic diversity, meaningful CP choices, and hybrid builds. If you think this idea is crap, that's fine, I have just been thinking about it for awhile and thought I would suggest an idea.

The basic idea is that the CP system needs to:
  1. Limit Player Power so that resource management can be come an issue for more than just HA users and reduce TTK. Basically just overall reduce the % that can be achieved in bonuses to any one damage ability.
  2. Decrease reliance of OP gear and increase reliance on player-strategy and skill - The theory being that classes, stat pools, gear, and skills are there to create strategy off of and that CP is there so support your reliance on specific tools rather than providing pure power to everything you do.
  3. Provide meaningful, playstyle defining bonuses. Specifically the most powerful bonus should sit on the CP 120 star in order to encourage the playstyle model. The CP stars should create windows of opportunity both defensively and offensively. This way, players can tank by lining up these defensive bonuses, and players still have the opportunity to defeat tanky opponents by capitalizing on their offensive bonuses.
  4. Support Hybrids. This is largely done by allowing the CP stars to be designed around play-styles instead of mag/stam bias.

To achieve the above the following needs to happen:
  1. Remove the armor type CP bonuses. I even propose making one star add both armor and spell resistance.
  2. Remove the individual weapon type CP bonuses. Just have one LA + HA increase star.
  3. Remove the pure power bonuses (Increase ALL mag + phys damage) in favour of skill type bonuses (Direct Damage, AoE, DoTs, Ultimates).

Now below is an example of what a CP system may look like following these principles. Feel free to not read below, this is just one example or how something like this might be done to help improve the game. Since we have 9 constellations and 3 constellations in each section, let's give each star an identity within that.

Slow - Medium - Fast
or
Passive - Sustained - Active/Burst

So the Red (Defensive) Stars might look like.

Constellation 1 - Passive Defense - The basic idea being that those using this star want to be able to passively ward off all damage all the time.
  • Decrease All Phys Damage by %
  • Decrease all Mag Damage by %
  • Increase both Armor and Spell resist by ~5480
  • Reduce AoE Damage by %
  • CP120 Star - While hard CC'd decrease all damage by 10%

Constellation 2 - Sustained Defense - The idea being a player of this type is using pre-battle buffs to sustain damage over a period of time but can be bursted down.
  • Increase Duration of HoTs by %
  • Increase Duration of Shields by %
  • Reduce DoT damage by %
  • Reduce LA/HA Damage by %
  • CP120 Star - Increase Duration of Major/Minor Buffs by 10%

Constellation 3 - Active Defense - The idea being, this player is re-actively using full on defense abilities to sustain their health pool.
  • Increase Healing Received by %
  • Increase Shields Strength by %
  • Healing from Potions by %
  • Reduce Crit Damage by %
  • CP120 Star - On potion use gain 10k shield (5k in pvp) for 6 seconds.
The Green (Resource) Stars might look like this.

Constellation 1 - Passive Resource Gain - People using passive recoveries to sustain.
  • Increase Mag Recovery by %
  • Increase Stam Recovery by %
  • Increase Health Recovery by %
  • Reduce Sprint Cost by %
  • CP 120 Star - Wind Running - Increase mag and health recovery while sprinting

Constellation 2 - Sustained Ability Use - Reducing Cost for burst oriented play.
  • Decrease Stam Ability Cost by %
  • Decrease Mag Ability Cost by %
  • Decrease Bash Cost by %
  • Decrease CC Break/Dodge Roll Ability Cost by %
  • CP120 Star - After CC breaking reduce the cost of dodge roll by % for X seconds.

Constellation 3 - Active Recovery - People who are actively recovering resources through skill, item, potion, and Heavy Armor in combat. If this idea was used, the Constitution passive would have to be nerfed by probably the % offered through CP.
  • Increase Active Stamina gain by %. - Affecting abilities like Repentance, Helping Hands, Battle Roar, Dark Deal, Siphoning Attacks, and Constitution.
  • Increase Active Mag gain by % - Affecting abilities like Constitution, Battle Roar, Restoring Focus, Siphoning attacks and the other Dark Deal morph.
  • Increase HA restore by %
  • Decrease Potion CD by %
  • CP120 Star - When you heavy attack with a stam weapon, also restore X magicka. When you heavy attack with a magicka weapon, also restore X stamina.
The Blue (Offense) Stars might look like this.

Constellation 1 - Passive / Support Attacks - This is primarily for healers, tanks, and other AoE centric support builds whose damage is secondary.
  • Increase AoE Damage by % (also affects ults and AOE DoTs)
  • Increase Healing by %
  • Increase Secondary Effect Proc Chance by % - Probably up to like 300%...
  • Increase duration of debuffs by %
  • CP120 Star - When under 30% health gain Major heroism for X seconds.

Constellation 2 - Sustained Attacks - For people who are constantly attacking and or applying pressure to opponents to kill them.
  • ncrease DoT Damage by % (also affects ults, lightning and restore staff HA, and AoE DoTs)
  • Increase Direct Damage by % (also affects LA/HA and ults)
  • Increase LA/HA Damage by %
  • Increase Increase Spell/Armor Pen by ~ 5480
  • CP120 Star - Increase Damage against blocking opponents by 10%

Constellation 3 - Active/Burst Attacks - For people who utilize burst offense to kill things.
  • Increase Ult Damage by %
  • Increase Crit Damage by %
  • Increase Damage against Shields AND effectiveness of Defile by %
  • Increase Damage against CC'd opponents by %
  • CP120 Star - Increase of next attack after an ult by 30%.

TLDR; PvP feels really cookie-cutter and boring right now. Please, fix it almighty ZOS.

@Wrobel @ZOS_BrianWheeler @ZOS_RichLambert

Edited for grammer and readability because I'm a noob.
Edited by ClockworkArc on November 30, 2016 1:03AM
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ClockworkArc

TL;DR

You suggestions would require a complete rework of all PvE or instances like vMoL and especially HM would become virtually impossible to clear since the fights would take considerably longer.

Hybrids have always been week since before the game launched based on the overall design of the game. CP may have helped push this a little but your suggestion would still have them second rate.

To fix PvP TTK only requires reducing the damage received further without reducing healing or maybe reducing it as well. Simple enough and is similar to how other games achieve the same benefit by using a separate stat in gear to reduce damage taken.
  • dday3six
    dday3six
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the easier route would simply be to make PVP work on a different system. Frankly I think they should've been separated in the first place.
  • Oakmontowls_ESO
    Oakmontowls_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Personally I think that what the cp system need right now is better passives and a small rearranging. For example moving blessed and thaumaturge into the atronach tree and merging the two stamina la starts and moving them to the ritual to replace thaumaturge and the staff expert one to the apprentice to replace blessed. This would be accompanied by a rework of the atronach passives to work for both stamina and magika such as removing the physical requirement for retaliation. This would allow magika builds that want to spec into dots will be able to get passives that are at least usable and the same for stamina builds that for some reason want to spec into healing. As for the warrior trees, the main thing that needs to be changed is unchained. It either needs to be nerfed, reduce magika costs as well or be moved into the Lord tree because as it stands, there is no reason anyone won't have 120 points in the lady tree and unchained is way too powerful of a passive to have without any trade offs. However the other 120 point passives need to be updated because the rest of them are severely underperforming.
  • TheLaughingSwine
    Hmm, I am not really a Pvp player ... I only do it if my guild want's to go ... anyhoo. Do PvP players even care about CP? ... maybe in Cyrodiil only your CP should be disabled ... i kinda think that would make things more fair ... wouldn't it?

This way if you wanted to like PvP for real you could go to Cyrodiil ... if you wanted to PvP with CP you can do it Open World (PvE).

I have 283 CP and alot of times in PvP i ask my self ... Are these points even doing anything?