The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Is there a controller support?

Earelith
Earelith
✭✭✭
Hello all. I was playing ESO on ps4 for quite some time, but some of my friends joined the pc version. There is a nice discount going on now for gold edition and also Sony have released a bluetooth adapter to connect PS4 controller to PC :)

I just wanna know if the game officially supports controller (Without have to use third party programms to remap my controller key into keyboard keys etc...)

Thanks in advance
  • DragonBound
    DragonBound
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It does, it said's it is in beta you have to enable it in options I believe you can change the keybinds to.
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's basically the console UI and console controls but ive only done it using an Xbox one and Xbox 360 controller.

Maybe someone else can comment on DS4 support via the dongle
    -PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
  • Earelith
    Earelith
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks both!

hm.. just checked steam and it says "partial" controller support https://i.imgur.com/l55cmeu.png

well I dont know what this means though :)
    Edited by Earelith on November 28, 2016 11:10PM
  • SirDopey
    SirDopey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I run the PS4 controller on MAC. Via cable it all works great, but for whatever reason when I use the bluetooth the game won't register the trigger buttons.

There's not a lot of flexibility with button bindings, for instance the game only lets you bind certain combinations of keys (for instance left trigger plus right trigger but not left trigger plus X), since you're on windows you might be better off using a joystick mapper to give yourself more flexibility.
    NA PC | AD
    xx Doc Holliday xx
  • Earelith
    Earelith
    ✭✭✭
    SirDopey wrote: »
    I run the PS4 controller on MAC. Via cable it all works great, but for whatever reason when I use the bluetooth the game won't register the trigger buttons.

There's not a lot of flexibility with button bindings, for instance the game only lets you bind certain combinations of keys (for instance left trigger plus right trigger but not left trigger plus X), since you're on windows you might be better off using a joystick mapper to give yourself more flexibility.

When you say Left trigger you mean L2 or L1? If I remember correctly, L2 on console is Block and L2 + X was the dodge... But I dont remember if there was a button for L1 + X...

So if L2 + X does not work then I see why it say "partial" support :( Also, does it recognize if you have the key "pressed down" for some time, to make different action than normal press?
  • Runefell
    Runefell
    ✭✭✭✭
    There is support, and some flexiblity on what you map the keys to, but some addons don't show up when in Gamepad mode. For example, Master Merchant and Tamriel Trade Center don't appear, nor does Wykkid's outfit swap mod that I like to use. Thankfully, it's pretty easy to map a key to toggle gamepad mode on and off, for when I want to use those.
    Rune Fell- Dunmer Mag Sorcerer (DC)~The Adventurer
    Runed Claws- Khajiit Stam Dragonknight (DC) ~The Tank
    Rain Fell- Argonian Mag Templar (EP)~ The Healer
    Dragon Talon- Bosmer Stam Nightblade (AD) ~ The DPS

• SirDopey
    SirDopey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Earelith wrote: »
    SirDopey wrote: »

When you say Left trigger you mean L2 or L1? If I remember correctly, L2 on console is Block and L2 + X was the dodge... But I dont remember if there was a button for L1 + X...

So if L2 + X does not work then I see why it say "partial" support :( Also, does it recognize if you have the key "pressed down" for some time, to make different action than normal press?

Yeah you can bind L2 or L1 + x or o, but you can't bind left or right trigger plus any of the other buttons (you can bind left + right trigger together). My setup is left trigger block, right trigger attack, L1 ability one R1 ability 2 and then yeah L1 + X for roll dodge and L1 + R1 for ulti. Yes it does recognize holding buttons down.

Definitely will need a key binding for switching between gamepad mode and keyboard to access addons etc.
    NA PC | AD
    xx Doc Holliday xx
  • Doctordarkspawn
    Doctordarkspawn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is controller support. Using a xbox controller will ping it automatically but you may need to finagle things for the playstation controller.

Steams 'partial' controller support can mean anything from 'certain features available' to 'just shy of full controller support'. In either case, some nice addons to have.

If you like the default controller ui, BetterUi is a great addition as it makes nameplays and @names display in better ways. It also autointergrates awsomguildstore and Master merchant into that.

Or, if you prefer the flexibility the PC Ui affords you, there is Advanced disable controller UI, which allows you to use the PC Ui, and ajust the compas to suit you. I reccomend geting a journel addon, a quest tracker because it makes the default go waha.
  • MissBizz
    MissBizz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use a PS3 controller and have no problems. By partial I am guessing they mean that for example on the character screen you need to use m&kb.
    Lone Wolf HelpFor the solo players who know, sometimes you just need a hand.PC | NA | AD-DC-EP | Discord
  • Earelith
    Earelith
    ✭✭✭
    Oh nice :) i dont know about addons, only skyshards and lorebooks (hope those two are working hehe).

Game is downloading now, tomorrow will log to try it!(its night here now and going to sleep :) )
  • Pallmor
    Pallmor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh nice :) i dont know about addons, only skyshards and lorebooks (hope those two are working hehe).

Game is downloading now, tomorrow will log to try it!(its night here now and going to sleep :) )

Skyshards and Lorebooks work fine with the gamepad UI.
  • Earelith
    Earelith
    ✭✭✭
    I finally got today the Sony wireless adapter and connected my DS4 to my PC. But ESO does not recognize it :( I log into steam and it recognize it and it works fine, but in eso I enable gamepad mode and controller does not respond..

Any advice / tips?
  • Bryanonymous
    Bryanonymous
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DS4Windows will convert the PS4 controller and allow you to set the touchpad as a mouse. There is an add on that changes the Xbox icons in the game to PS icons. I use both.
  • Earelith
    Earelith
    ✭✭✭
    DS4Windows will convert the PS4 controller and allow you to set the touchpad as a mouse. There is an add on that changes the Xbox icons in the game to PS icons. I use both.

But I have the original bluetooth adapter from sony and windows recognize my controller as steam does too. Why should I use DS4Windows?
  • Bryanonymous
    Bryanonymous
    ✭✭✭✭✭

But I have the original bluetooth adapter from sony and windows recognize my controller as steam does too. Why should I use DS4Windows?

Oh, because controller support on PC is limited to XBox (xinput) controllers. Anything else, you'll have a hard time setting the buttons to work correctly (mainly the native thumb sticks). Sorry, sucks I know. But these 2 tools, the program and the add on, and you never notice.
    Edited by Bryanonymous on December 2, 2016 5:33PM
  • Earelith
    Earelith
    ✭✭✭

Oh, because controller support on PC is limited to XBox (xinput) controllers. Anything else, you'll have a hard time setting the buttons to work correctly (mainly the native thumb sticks). Sorry, sucks I know. But these 2 tools, the program and the add on, and you never notice.

Thanks :) Do you remember the exact name of the addon? I cant seem to find it in ESOUI.com
  • Bryanonymous
    Bryanonymous
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks :) Do you remember the exact name of the addon? I cant seem to find it in ESOUI.com

Playstation Interface:
    http://www.esoui.com/downloads/info1228-PlaystationInterface.html
    Out of date but still works.

If it gives you a lot of UI errors, use No Thank You to redirect them to your notifications:
    http://www.esoui.com/downloads/info865-Nothankyou.html
    Edited by Bryanonymous on December 2, 2016 6:13PM
  • Mitoice
    Mitoice
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Earelith

This also happened to me... you need to select Xbox controller on the drop down menu on DS4 or else it wont work.... i use a wireless PS4 controller to llay ESO and it works fine but you need to choose the XBox template on DS4
  • Meary
    Meary
    ✭✭
    I use a controller on PC (win 10) using the Pinnacle game control app. It gives you a lot a lot of control over button mapping. Example - I have block mapped to block and then bash on one press which you could never do with built in controller support.
    Pinnacle has quite a few ESO templates free to download as well to give you a jump start, and no I don't work for Pinnacle, just throwing out an option to consider.

www.pinnaclegameprofiler.com

From their site... Pinnacle supports any game controller that works with a PC. This not only includes standard gamepads, joysticks, yokes, throttles, and racing wheels from manufacturers like Saitek, Logitech, MaCatz, Belkin, and Thrustmaster, but it also means that you can use popular console-style controllers such as Xbox 360, PS3 SixAxis, Wiimote, original Xbox, PS2, Playstation, and many more. If it works with Windows, it works with Pinnacle Game Profiler.

PS: An Xbox One Elite controller is on my xmas list (replacing my Razer Sabertooth).
  • Ivehn
    Ivehn
    ✭✭✭
    I use the PS4 controller and the ‘ds4windows’ program; I set it up some time ago, so I don’t know if you can now play the game without need of the program, though it does support the new dongle. I find this very convenient because for some reason the cable keeps disconnecting from my controller. I also have to turn on the gamepad mode option to ‘ON’ in the game options for the whole thing to work, but that’s just a one time switch, I don’t have to do in each time I log on. It’s a bit complicated to set up ds4windows and I’m scared that if I somehow end up wiping the settings, I won’t be able to set it up again because I followed tutorial upon tutorial to the point I don’t even remember what I did in the first place :D The funny thing with using the ps4 controller is that the game interface appears exactly the way it appears on playstation, but the buttons appear as the ones on the xbox controllers, if I am not mistaken. It can be confusing at first, but you end up memorizing it all really quick, so that when the game prompts you to press X, for instance, you actually have to press the square button on the dual shock controller, and so on :)