The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Tava's Set

m2rc
m2rc
✭✭✭
Hi everyone, just wanted to know about how to proc the Tava's set, because it states every time you dodge out of an attack it procs and gains 9 ultimate, but do you need to dodge roll or just have your character move out of the way by chance?

Thanks,
m2rc
  • Takuto
    Takuto
    ✭✭✭
    It is a dodge caused by a dodge roll or a major evasion buff such as Evasion (Shuffle/Elude) or Blur (Double Take/Mirage).
    Edited by Takuto on November 28, 2016 7:56PM
    Eternal Destiny (PC/NA)
    Dead Wait (PC/NA Haderus AD)
  • GrumpyDuckling
    GrumpyDuckling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've always wondered if Tava's has a cool down period. If I roll dodge out of the way of three rapid attacks, then would I get 27 ultimate?
  • m2rc
    m2rc
    ✭✭✭
    Takuto wrote: »
    It is a dodge caused by a dodge roll or a major evasion buff such as Evasion (Shuffle/Elude) or Blur (Double Take/Mirage).

Thanks man! Seems I'll be using the Shuffle skill from the medium armour skill line! Now I just need to improve it all to increase my physical resistance...

Thanks!
    m2rc
  • GreenSoup2HoT
    GreenSoup2HoT
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I replaced Viper with Tava's recently. I got tired of the gank life and now im doing more small/medium group stuff. Its weird saying it but im glad i made the transition. The amount of dawnbreakers i throw out is insane.
    PS4 NA DC
  • ville.korpieb17_ESO
    I've always wondered if Tava's has a cool down period. If I roll dodge out of the way of three rapid attacks, then would I get 27 ultimate?

No it doesn't stack like. It is a buff. But I believe that every new dodge refreshes it.
  • Brutusmax1mus
    Brutusmax1mus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It ticks 3 per second for 3 seconds doesn't it? I know it just adds to the duration of it happens while the buff is active
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    m2rc wrote: »
    Takuto wrote: »

Thanks man! Seems I'll be using the Shuffle skill from the medium armour skill line! Now I just need to improve it all to increase my physical resistance...

Thanks!
    m2rc

@m2rc

I would not stress about your physical or spell resist as long as you have decent CP. Of course you can still go for the soft cap, however you get a lot of damage resist from CP if spent well.
  • hagencopen
    hagencopen
    ✭✭
    Been using tava's/ebon and shuffle on my DK tank. Ult generation is borderline OP.
  • acw37162
    acw37162
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of these days someone will listen to me;

A whole raid team in Tavas heavy for tanks, medium for stam DPS, light for magica and healers.

Healers wear Gossmer.

More ultimates then the screen could handle this would at least be a plausible excuse for why my PS4 blue screened 40 plus times over the weekend but hey atro mounts for 100 if your lucky.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    acw37162 wrote: »

A whole raid team in Tavas heavy for tanks, medium for stam DPS, light for magica and healers.

Healers wear Gossmer.

More ultimates then the screen could handle this would at least be a plausible excuse for why my PS4 blue screened 40 plus times over the weekend but hey atro mounts for 100 if your lucky.

@acw37162

Tanks in Tavas yes. Having dps and healers in tavas wojld he a huge dps loss.

If you have found differently via actual use please explain and provide actual information.
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Healers wear Gossmer.

@acw37162

If you have found differently via actual use please explain and provide actual information.

I'd assume he's talking pvp, where in group play it comes down to surviving an enemies bomb then bombing them yourself, in this case, having higher ulti uptime could somehow help.

I'm still fairly certain its not worth forgoing a proper group composition.
  • acw37162
    acw37162
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Healers wear Gossmer.

@acw37162

It's an exercise in theory crafting at this point.

When and if I convince one of my guilds to try this I'll let you know, actually.

• acw37162
    acw37162
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lexxypwns wrote: »

Healers wear Gossmer.

@acw37162

I'd assume he's talking pvp, where in group play it comes down to surviving an enemies bomb then bombing them yourself, in this case, having higher ulti uptime could somehow help.

I'm still fairly certain its not worth forgoing a proper group composition.

It would also work in PVP, I'm thinking trials.

The entire raid team would have almost 100% up time on dodge chance and quite a few more ultimates and a lot more utility.

Is it meta, I doubt it but quite a few people scoffed at tanks wearing Tavas until someone posted a video.

It ain't perfect but it would be interesting.

• Autolycus
    Autolycus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    m2rc wrote: »
    Hi everyone, just wanted to know about how to proc the Tava's set, because it states every time you dodge out of an attack it procs and gains 9 ultimate, but do you need to dodge roll or just have your character move out of the way by chance?

Thanks,
    m2rc

Actively dodge-rolling and passively dodging by means of Major Evasion are both means by which to proc Tava's.
  • LegacyDM
    LegacyDM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Has anyone combined the shalk set with tava?
    Legacy of Kain
    Vicious Carnage
    ¥ampire Lord of the South
  • Autolycus
    Autolycus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LegacyDM wrote: »

Most endgame tank builds maintain 100% uptime on Heroic Slash, which affords Minor Heroism. Since it's the same buff, it does not stack. Usually tanks find it preferable to select a single skill to accomplish the same thing that an entire 5set of gear can. If we can offload Minor Heroism to one skill without sacrificing something else of importance in the process, we can then replace Shalk with something else to even further enhance our utility as tanks.
  • LegacyDM
    LegacyDM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Autolycus wrote: »

Most endgame tank builds maintain 100% uptime on Heroic Slash, which affords Minor Heroism. Since it's the same buff, it does not stack. Usually tanks find it preferable to select a single skill to accomplish the same thing that an entire 5set of gear can. If we can offload Minor Heroism to one skill without sacrificing something else of importance in the process, we can then replace Shalk with something else to even further enhance our utility as tanks.

Interesting. Let me rephrase then. How well does minor heroism work with tava? Is it a huge difference? Noticeable? How long does it take to reach 200 ult with tava and minor heroism, in seconds?
    Legacy of Kain
    Vicious Carnage
    ¥ampire Lord of the South
  • CMurder435
    CMurder435
    ✭✭
    https://youtu.be/gF1pJV7Ch9c

good set. I've used it since it came out and find it rly strong in pvp. So I linked a vid from my youtube that I hadn't been removed from forums for..profanity.. Hope it gives u better idea
    Edited by CMurder435 on December 1, 2016 10:52AM
  • hagencopen
    hagencopen
    ✭✭

Exactly this. If yer lazy run shalk for the perma minor heroism.
  • hagencopen
    hagencopen
    ✭✭
    WRU edit button? Anyway, my current favorite group dungeon setup is bloodspawn + akaviri dragonguard + tava's. Really fun. Use 2x tava's sword n board to get the 5/5/2 setup.
  • Autolycus
    Autolycus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting. Let me rephrase then. How well does minor heroism work with tava? Is it a huge difference? Noticeable? How long does it take to reach 200 ult with tava and minor heroism, in seconds?

The underlying point here is that it is worthwhile to use Minor Heroism. How you go about it is up to you, though what I suggested above is typically how tanks go about it. Minor Heroism generates roughly 1/3 as much ult as Tava's each second. Fewer dodges means Tava's is less beneficial.

I can't tell you exactly how long it will take, because it's contingent upon how frequently you dodge. But if we assume you dodge every 3s to proc Tava's and your only other source of ult is Minor Heroism, it would take you 50s to generate 200 ult. It is more complex than this, but here is a basic answer to your question.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Healers wear Gossmer.

@acw37162

When and if I convince one of my guilds to try this I'll let you know, actually.

@acw37162

Then discuss the theoretical aspect of it instead of just saying everyone should wear it.

This is why it will not work. Tavas only works when dodging an attack and most of the group isn't or shouldn't be receiving that kind of damage to make it worthwhile.

Additionally, it requires the dps and heals to remove a skill they use to add a skill that grants them major evasion and keep that buff up during the fight. The time it takes to apply the buff and the loss of a skill would be a negative on their dps as well.
  • acw37162
    acw37162
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Healers wear Gossmer.

@acw37162

@acw37162

Then discuss the theoretical aspect of it instead of just saying everyone should wear it.

This is why it will not work. Tavas only works when dodging an attack and most of the group isn't or shouldn't be receiving that kind of damage to make it worthwhile.

Additionally, it requires the dps and heals to remove a skill they use to add a skill that grants them major evasion and keep that buff up during the fight. The time it takes to apply the buff and the loss of a skill would be a negative on their dps as well.

Healers wear Gossamer.

Save the lectures brother, please.

• Autolycus
    Autolycus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Healers wear Gossmer.

@acw37162

@acw37162

Healers wear Gossamer.

Gossamer is a good option for granting this buff to the group. However, it is not a viable substitute for Shuffle or Blur. Shuffle and Blur easily afford 100% up-time on Major Evasion, whereas Gossamer is of quite limited benefit to a tank. Gossamer is a chance to proc, and it gives a chance to evade. This inherently makes it less viable for a tank, who has the option to guarantee that chance to evade.

Gossamer = a chance to give a buff that affords a chance to dodge
    Shuffle/Blur = a guaranteed buff that affords a chance to dodge

See the difference? Gossamer is, by design, less effective than Shuffle/Blur. This factor is what helps to balance the set for groups. Were Gossamer to afford a guaranteed buff like Shuffle/Blur, it would be overpowered in pvp and would skew the balance of vet trials as well.

Furthermore, Gossamer requires that the target receiving heals not be at full health. It cannot proc if target is full health. While this might seem like a trivial nuance, this practically means that you are further reducing the potential up-time on Gossamer.

In order to maximize the benefit of Tava's 5set bonus, we need to try everything we can to guarantee dodging as much as possible, at most once every 3s. By choosing to use a set that gives a chance to grant Major Evasion, we are at the whim of RNG to decide if we get a buff or not.

Now, from a dps perspective: In order to wear Tava's as a dps, we have to give something up. That means TBS, VO, Monster sets, etc. In return for sacrificing things like crit, crit damage, max resources, weapon and spell damage, and health, we get a chance to generate more ultimate. First, ultimates are not the top damaging skills for most builds (although they are significant), so we are giving up core dps stats for a chance to buff something that's likely not at the top of the list. Second, the setting in which most dps would benefit the most from this would be on trash pulls, leaving us to sacrifice core stats for something only marginally useful during certain phases of certain boss fights. The combination of these two alone means we cannot logically justify having everyone wear Tava's. We can put the pen to paper and prove this mathematically, but I'm not going to do that for you. Just remember: a chance on a chance is always less than a guaranteed chance.
    Edited by Autolycus on December 1, 2016 10:02PM
  • acw37162
    acw37162
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Healers wear Gossmer.

@acw37162

@acw37162

Healers wear Gossamer.

Gossamer is a good option for granting this buff to the group. However, it is not a viable substitute for Shuffle or Blur. Shuffle and Blur easily afford 100% up-time on Major Evasion, whereas Gossamer is of quite limited benefit to a tank. Gossamer is a chance to proc, and it gives a chance to evade. This inherently makes it less viable for a tank, who has the option to guarantee that chance to evade.

See the difference? Gossamer is, by design, less effective than Shuffle/Blur. This factor is what helps to balance the set for groups. Were Gossamer to afford a guaranteed buff like Shuffle/Blur, it would be overpowered in pvp and would skew the balance of vet trials as well.

Furthermore, Gossamer requires that the target receiving heals not be at full health. It cannot proc if target is full health. While this might seem like a trivial nuance, this practically means that you are further reducing the potential up-time on Gossamer.

In order to maximize the benefit of Tava's 5set bonus, we need to try everything we can to guarantee dodging as much as possible, at most once every 3s. By choosing to use a set that gives a chance to grant Major Evasion, we are at the whim of RNG to decide if we get a buff or not.

Now, from a dps perspective: In order to wear Tava's as a dps, we have to give something up. That means TBS, VO, Monster sets, etc. In return for sacrificing things like crit, crit damage, max resources, weapon and spell damage, and health, we get a chance to generate more ultimate. First, ultimates are not the top damaging skills for most builds (although they are significant), so we are giving up core dps stats for a chance to buff something that's likely not at the top of the list. Second, the setting in which most dps would benefit the most from this would be on trash pulls, leaving us to sacrifice core stats for something only marginally useful during certain phases of certain boss fights. The combination of these two alone means we cannot logically justify having everyone wear Tava's. We can put the pen to paper and prove this mathematically, but I'm not going to do that for you. Just remember: a chance on a chance is always less than a guaranteed chance.

I haven't got a guild to try it yet.

It was an idea.

Might work might suck when I find some like minded people it would be fun to try.

Pen to paper mathematically helicopters won't fly.
  • Autolycus
    Autolycus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Healers wear Gossmer.

@acw37162

@acw37162

Healers wear Gossamer.

It was an idea.

Might work might suck when I find some like minded people it would be fun to try.

I thought you were theorycrafting and looking for insight on your idea. It is clearly an informative post. I spent all that time listing off the pros and cons, and all you have to say is that? How ungrateful, and what a waste of time.
    Edited by Autolycus on December 1, 2016 10:54PM
  • acw37162
    acw37162
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Healers wear Gossmer.

@acw37162

@acw37162

Healers wear Gossamer.

It was an idea.

I thought you were theorycrafting and looking for insight on your idea. It is clearly an informative post. I spent all that time listing off the pros and cons, and all you have to say is that? How ungrateful, and what a waste of time.

Brother l, I agree with you.

It is very informative and I apologize if I snarked or if my very dry sense of humor does not translate to forum conversation well.

There was zero offense intended.
  • WalksonGraves
    WalksonGraves
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hide of WW > Shalk, not only does it generate slightly more ult it stacks with heroism.
  • ArnoTerranova
    ArnoTerranova
    ✭✭✭
    I m not sure that TAVA is the best choice for tanks, I understand generate ulti is important for raid, and may help survival,
    but isnt that better to maximize the tank survival first?

For example, for trial pve content, (hard mode),
    i would rather go Yokuda Eternel 5 pieces,
    + 5 pieces of the sets of Diagna Order, to get its constant 12% heal bonus, or Immortal Yokuda, for the 8% heal.

Your opinion?

Fatty White-Claw (lvl 50+) heal trial pve
    Koros Bone-Shield (lvl 50+) tank trial pve
    Koros Lust (lvl 50+) dps pve, pvp
    Seiri (lvl 50+) dps pve
    Wildfire (lvl 50+) dps pvp
    EU-PC - Playing since April 2014. (beta)
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I m not sure that TAVA is the best choice for tanks, I understand generate ulti is important for raid, and may help survival,
    but isnt that better to maximize the tank survival first?

For example, for trial pve content, (hard mode),
    i would rather go Yokuda Eternel 5 pieces,
    + 5 pieces of the sets of Diagna Order, to get its constant 12% heal bonus, or Immortal Yokuda, for the 8% heal.

Your opinion?

Heal bonuses are overrated. Most of the time healers are overhealing and the times they are not, an extra 12 or 8% would not have made a difference. Tavas is falling out of favor, the meta for main tank is ebony and alkosh. I still use tavas cause I dont tank v trials Ver often.
    Edited by Lightspeedflashb14_ESO on February 4, 2017 11:08AM