The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

More informative red circles please

Alagras
Alagras
✭✭✭
In every large scale fight AoEs are all over the place, and red circles end up overlapping in a terrible mess, we don't get wich is what any more. There is also the case where the ground is a bit red and you struggle to see anything.

So I think devs should:

Giver them a black border

It would help a lot when ground is red-ish, or the room dark. Also to see better the limits of each when they overlap.

Give their borders different shapes

So we can get wich is what at a glance. A flame attack could have a pattern on its (black) border representing little flames, and so on. Even the inner part of the circle could have some pattern so each skill, or almost, gets recognizable. Make them sorts of runes. I see games over people's shoulder that seem to do this better.

Another reason is it would be slightly less ugly. It may not always appear but graphic devs put a lot of effort into making the game esthetically coherent. And if one thing in the game is messing this coherence up, it has to be red circles. Making them rune-ish wouldn't fix it really, but it would help.

What are your thoughts on that?

Edit: there is also the case of color blind people who could maybe use a function changing their default color
Edited by Alagras on November 28, 2016 6:58PM
  • Alagras
    Alagras
    ✭✭✭
    Well... sorry to bump but I'm surprised none has an opinion about these red circles, be it to agree or disagree (maybe you want them to stay the way they are, but I'd have liked to hear why if possible)
  • Bam_Bam
    Bam_Bam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Red circle = bad+avoid. Don't think it needs anything adding to it tbh
    Joined January 2014
    PC EU - PvE & BGs & PvP (Vivec)
    Grand Master Crafter

#DiscordHypeSquad

Stream
    Lims Kragm'a
    Bam Bam Bara
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd be happy if the radius of the circles was the actual area of effect. Every time I fight the titan in Vaults of Madness my ocd senses go into overload for not being able to get of of his first red circle even if I'm 20 feet outside when it booms then standing directly in the second circle with no effect going off at all.
  • itsfatbass
    itsfatbass
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They need a serious revamp on these indicators, not only for red circles but also for bosses heavy attacks etc. When you've got 20 other spell effects spilling outwards from the boss, flame clouds in the sky from ultimates, etc etc it can sometimes make red aoe circles or bosses heavy attacks NEARLY impossible to see them. They need to allow us to turn down various spell particles effects/density, adjust the opacity etc etc. Get on it ZOS!
    ~PC/NA~ Magblade, Tankanist, Healplar, Stamcro, Oakensorc, Healden, Tanknight ~PLUR~
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just spam my rotations, and move around like a spastic monkey. That seems to work and I don't worry about what the Red is for, I just stay out of it.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• yttoks
    yttoks
    ✭✭✭
    On a related note, I don't think very much thought was given to color-blind folks, especially with important cues like AoE one-shot cues, heavy attack cues, etc. I'm partially color-blind, and there are situations when I just can't see the red unless I stop and squint, which obviously doesn't work.

Probably times I just stand in it without knowing at all (hmmm, guess I wouldn't know.)
  • flizomica
    flizomica
    ✭✭✭✭
    I do wish that AoE indicators were a bit more clear. The most annoying part of AA HM is all the different red circles that overlap so it's incredibly difficult visually to tell what's going on.
  • Alagras
    Alagras
    ✭✭✭
    Baranthus wrote: »
    Nestor wrote: »
    I just spam my rotations, and move around like a spastic monkey. That seems to work and I don't worry about what the Red is for, I just stay out of it.

True their main function is a gtfo warning and this should stay instaantly readable. I had hought a time about different colors from an almost yellow orange to deep red following how bad the AoE hurts, then renonced to this idea after thinking a bit.

But really, especially in PvP and trials, you guys never have problems when they overlap all over the place? I mean, an enemy purifying ritual and an incoming ballista blast aren't the same thing, it could be useful if they didn't look the same (well, they have different size in my exemple, but not always)
    I'd be happy if the radius of the circles was the actual area of effect. Every time I fight the titan in Vaults of Madness my ocd senses go into overload for not being able to get of of his first red circle even if I'm 20 feet outside when it booms then standing directly in the second circle with no effect going off at all.

I forgot that and yes its annoying when they're not accurate.That should have been fixed long ago. Only one thing I like with it, it's that now the charging enemies don't follow their "red carpet" any more, but use it as a deceit. It's a detail, but I like that.

They need a serious revamp on these indicators, not only for red circles but also for bosses heavy attacks etc. When you've got 20 other spell effects spilling outwards from the boss, flame clouds in the sky from ultimates, etc etc it can sometimes make red aoe circles or bosses heavy attacks NEARLY impossible to see them. They need to allow us to turn down various spell particles effects/density, adjust the opacity etc etc. Get on it ZOS!

My thought entirely
    yttoks wrote: »
    On a related note, I don't think very much thought was given to color-blind folks, especially with important cues like AoE one-shot cues, heavy attack cues, etc. )

That too, they should do something.
    I do wish that AoE indicators were a bit more clear. The most annoying part of AA HM is all the different red circles that overlap so it's incredibly difficult visually to tell what's going on.

overlap is the biggest issue imo. at least a black border would help

Edited by Alagras on November 30, 2016 3:25PM
  • Niaver
    Niaver
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes please, more options are needed.
    I can't even properly see those red circles at the first boss in ICP, when the whole floor is brightly blue. Not to mention other more difficult situations. (and color-blind persons)
    PC EU - Daggerfall Covenant - @Niaver
    Erazar (main) - Khajit DK tank

Proud owner of Maelstrom Sharpened Bow
  • curlyqloub14_ESO
    curlyqloub14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Alagras wrote: »
    But really, especially in PvP and trials, you guys never have problems when they overlap all over the place? I mean, an enemy purifying ritual and an incoming ballista blast aren't the same thing, it could be useful if they didn't look the same

But, even if they aren't the same, why does it matter? You have to avoid either one, so who cares what the red circle is actually for? It makes no difference. Unless - you would actually stay in certain red circles, but not others, if you knew what they were? Additionally, if all red circles were different, then there would be huge challenges with learning/remembering what kind of circle means what kind of danger.

I agree with others here that it would be nice to be able to turn down other effects to be able to see the circles better (I already play with particles and other adjustable effects turned as low as possible and do still have a hard time seeing stuff in busy fights). And I can understand it not being very friendly for colorblind folks, but I really see no point or added value in having different colored/shaped red circles.

• SHADOW2KK
    SHADOW2KK
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Red = Bad, stay out of red ;)
    Once I was a lamb, playing in a green field. Then the wolves came. Now I am an eagle and I fly in a different universe.

Been taking heads since TeS 3 Morrowind..

Been enjoying PvP tears since 2014

LvL 50 - Dragon Knight EP [PC-EU] = Illuvutar = Ex The Wabbajack = (Stam DK)
    LvL 50 - Night Blade DC [PC-EU] = Legendary Blades = Evil Ninja/Dueller = (StamBlade)
    LvL 50 - Sorcerer DC [PC-EU] = Daemon Lord = (Mag Sorc)
    LvL 50 - Dragon Knight DC [PC-EU] = Khal-Bladez = (Mag DK)
    LvL 50 - Dragon Knight DC [PC-EU] = Tenakha Khan = (Stam DK)
    LvL 50 - Templar DC [PC-EU]] = Blades The Disgruntled = (Stamplar)
    LvL 50 - Night Blade DC [PC-EU] = Ghost Blades = (Assassin)
    LvL 50 - Night Blade DC [PC-EU] = Malekith The Shadow = (Mag NB)
    LvL 50 - Warden DC [PC-EU] = Crimson Blades = (Stamden)

Guild Master of The Bringers Of The Storm.
    Harrods

Member Of The Old Guard
    PC Closed Betas 2013

PC Mastah Race

Anook Page anook.com/shadow2kk

Been playing since Beta and Early Access

• Alagras
    Alagras
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry for super late semi necromantic reply
    But, even if they aren't the same, why does it matter? You have to avoid either one, so who cares what the red circle is actually for? It makes no difference. Unless - you would actually stay in certain red circles, but not others, if you knew what they were?

In certain situations I'd say yes. Standing in a Caltrops or Purifying Ritual isn't like standing in an Eye of the Storm or Standard of Might, or an incoming ballista blast. Biggest problem here being that the large one often makes smaller and harder-hitting ones difficult to see.
    Additionally, if all red circles were different, then there would be huge challenges with learning/remembering what kind of circle means what kind of danger.

I believe we'd know them all after encountering them a few times. And meanwhile we 'd just be in the same state we are now.

Granted, this isn't the main problem of the game right now, I just think it's a super easy fix (at least a black line in border )and thought everyone would agree, I discover opinions are more shared than I expected so maybe it's my eyes or the way i play that are the problem. I still get confused when they overlap.
    Baranthus wrote: »
    SHADOW2KK wrote: »
    Red = Bad, stay out of red ;)

Sure, sure, and I'm trying, but sometimes it's difficult. For instance this ultimate, Eye of the Storm, is all red. I try to avoid it but it follows me around. As it only hurts enemies it wouldn't be a problem if it didn't prevent me to see (in time) the other red circles, those that indicate enemy AoEs.. When they all begin to overlap at least a black border would help me.
    Edited by Alagras on December 13, 2016 6:49PM
  • Glurin
    Glurin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Sure, sure, and I'm trying, but sometimes it's difficult. For instance this ultimate, Eye of the Storm, is all red. I try to avoid it but it follows me around. As it only hurts enemies it wouldn't be a problem if it didn't prevent me to see (in time) the other red circles, those that indicate enemy AoEs.. When they all begin to overlap at least a black border would help me.

Ah, so the problem isn't avoiding the red. It's that you're casting a giant firestorm all around you and all that fire prevents you from seeing red from things trying to kill you.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster...when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes into you..."
  • Alagras
    Alagras
    ✭✭✭
    Glurin wrote: »
    Ah, so the problem isn't avoiding the red. It's that you're casting a giant firestorm all around you and all that fire prevents you from seeing red from things trying to kill you.

Problem is seeing fast a red circle on a red zone. Be this zone an EotS (from me or not), a red-ish ground, a larger red circle, or several overlapping.. when indicators turn into a horrendous porridge, they don't indicate things well any more. It's a detail, but easier to fix than most other issues

Edited by Alagras on December 14, 2016 5:29PM
  • SHADOW2KK
    SHADOW2KK
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Glurin wrote: »

Problem is seeing fast a red circle on a red zone. Be this zone an EotS (from me or not), a red-ish ground, a larger red circle, or several overlapping.. when indicators turn into a horrendous porridge, they don't indicate things well any more. It's a detail, but easier to fix than most other issues

Fair point actually.
    Once I was a lamb, playing in a green field. Then the wolves came. Now I am an eagle and I fly in a different universe.

Been taking heads since TeS 3 Morrowind..

Been enjoying PvP tears since 2014

LvL 50 - Dragon Knight EP [PC-EU] = Illuvutar = Ex The Wabbajack = (Stam DK)
    LvL 50 - Night Blade DC [PC-EU] = Legendary Blades = Evil Ninja/Dueller = (StamBlade)
    LvL 50 - Sorcerer DC [PC-EU] = Daemon Lord = (Mag Sorc)
    LvL 50 - Dragon Knight DC [PC-EU] = Khal-Bladez = (Mag DK)
    LvL 50 - Dragon Knight DC [PC-EU] = Tenakha Khan = (Stam DK)
    LvL 50 - Templar DC [PC-EU]] = Blades The Disgruntled = (Stamplar)
    LvL 50 - Night Blade DC [PC-EU] = Ghost Blades = (Assassin)
    LvL 50 - Night Blade DC [PC-EU] = Malekith The Shadow = (Mag NB)
    LvL 50 - Warden DC [PC-EU] = Crimson Blades = (Stamden)

Guild Master of The Bringers Of The Storm.
    Harrods

Member Of The Old Guard
    PC Closed Betas 2013

PC Mastah Race

Anook Page anook.com/shadow2kk

Been playing since Beta and Early Access