The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

PvP-Quite Sobering

thedude33
thedude33
✭✭✭✭✭
Quite the reality check heading out for the first time into PvP. Attempting to be a bow based NS. The theory is to roam around and pick off stragglers ....like I have done in the past in EQ,DAOC and GW2. The reality? I'm sure I made some peoples day and gave them a good chuckle. One guy I knocked off his horse. He danced his way towards me, taking very little damage, and proceeded to two shot me. Ouch.

I am just newly level 50 with 40 CPs. Green armor set of Hunding impen/sharpened bow and weak jewelry.. 2225 weapon damage/21k Stamina. So hardly optimized. Still, I was a little surprised at how much more powerful everyone was. I had a good laugh watching some guy stand at the entrance to a keep. Battle 4 guards and kill any player that ventured out. One and two at a time. Obviously tanky but still able to kill stuff.

Still have a ton to learn and need better equipment, but I don't recall such a disparity in the games I have listed. Hell in GW2 I never leveled my alts in PvE. Went from 1 to 50 completely in PvP and never got abused like I did the past couple of days :/
1v1 Win/Loss Record in PvP.
1 Wins - 392 Losses (guy was AFK)

• iseko
    iseko
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you are not wearing 160 gear and have at least 30k stam and unbuffed 2+k weapon dmg. Then you are just tickling people. Sad but true.
  • ostrapz
    ostrapz
    ✭✭✭
    Well your character is surely missing alot of passives, not to mention gear that isn't at least purple will really hurt your stats. When I was about 300cp I had worked up enough experience off pure pvp to take out max cp ( 501at the time) players. This was some time ago though, having only 40 cp means your 500cp behind the players who have the experience to beat you anyway and it will show. To give you an idea you have 2200weapon damage and 22k stam. My nb is at 42kstam 3.2k weapon damage and 1.8k recov. Mathematically you'll b behind for a bit. Your best bet is to grind out 160cp so you can get your max lvl gear and start to upgrade it. Gold or eve purple weapons make a big diffrence
    Xbox 1 NA
    Stamblade: Grand overlord
    Stamsorc: Major
    Magplar: Centurion
    551k vma
  • Rune_Relic
    Rune_Relic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to Cyrdoiil ;)
    Might want to start a new character and head for BWB at level 10+
    No CP points and it will be much more forgiving while you train.
    Edited by Rune_Relic on November 26, 2016 1:29PM
    Anything that can be exploited will be exploited
  • Fudly_budly
    Fudly_budly
    ✭✭✭✭
    I suck at PvP. I know I suck so I don't go trying to solo. I stay with the group. I heal/rez other players. I spend my AP on siege and run them. I buy repair kits and go soloing to keeps repairing walls. I usually get to reward tier 3 easily. I load up on quests then share with everyone when appropriate. the only solo quests I do are the repeatable scout missions because my bosmer nb is maxed out in every stealthy passive available, has max speed horse and spams rapids. LOL.
    Rule #1: RL trumps gaming.
    Rule #2: True immersion is RL.
    Rule #3: RL lag is wonderful.
    Rule #4: People matter. Pixels do not.
  • smacx250
    smacx250
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can also try playing on the non-CP campaign - but you will still want to work on your gear (on-level & purple, additional full or partial sets, good jewelry, purple enchants). Also, your stam seems low - you might want to reconsider your attributes and/or enchants if you have many in health or magicka. Make sure you always use food and potions.
  • THEDKEXPERIENCE
    THEDKEXPERIENCE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    PVP is hard even for people who have spent hundreds of hours in there. Even 561s with all gold gear have trouble soloing. Some highly edited You Tube videos make it look like you can just walk in and leave mountains of bodies in your path, which is really hard to do for even the best players.

Aside from upgrading your gear try to find a friendly Zerg. Don't listen to the anti-Zerg trolls on this forum. Being part of a large group is how Cyrodiil was designed. Even soloers will latch onto Zergs. Being part of a 40 on 40 fight is a great time.

A few more things ...

- Always be sneaking, running or riding.
    - Assume no one is alone.
    - Be prepared for anything. Have different potions, siege weapons, and abilities to counter all 4 classes. Anti-stealth for NBs, non projectile range for DKs, roots for Sorcs, and I'm a Templar so you can figure that out. :)
    - Cyrodiil is not a dungeon. Unless you're in a role defined large group you better be able to able to do part of all 3 roles.
    - Heavy armor is king.
    - Minimum you want 20k health, 30k+ magic or stamina, 20k spell and physical resistance. These are minimums.
    - I always get in arguments about the value of impen gear and crit resist but it's undeniable that impen gear is popular. I use infused and divines for more offense but some people swear by impen. I currently have 1003 crit resist. Your mileage may vary.
  • mtwiggz
    mtwiggz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The power creep in this game is enormous. In order to be competitive in PvP you definitely need maxed gear and near cap CP. Skill can make up for some not so optimized CP and gear, but in the current meta gear is one of the most important factors.
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    thedude33 wrote: »
    Quite the reality check heading out for the first time into PvP. Attempting to be a bow based NS. The theory is to roam around and pick off stragglers ....

You'll want a specific ganking build for this, but it's certainly a viable to do in ESO. You don't have to zerg if you don't want to, but you have to accept that getting mowed down by 40+ from time to time is a reality if you are going to go solo, small group, or gank around the edges. One good ganker at a transit chokepoint like Chal milegate can turn the tide of a battle.
    I had a good laugh watching some guy stand at the entrance to a keep. Battle 4 guards and kill any player that ventured out. One and two at a time. Obviously tanky but still able to kill stuff.

NPCs don't take half damage like other players do, so killing 4 guards is not difficult. Melee Fighting one or two other plays on a max level character is also not difficult for many classes, but if you spec as a bow ganker it'll probably not be an achievable playstyle for you (while you are in that gear).

While you are at low CP, you are at a big disadvantage in terms of power. The no-CP campaign may be a good starting spot for you for a while.
  • Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you playing in Azuras? That's a non CP campaign, so you'd be better off there until you've reached the cap (or close to it). You'll also need better quality gear than green. I'd go for purple at the very least in PVP.
    Hundings still works pretty good on archer builds. For an archer build on azura I'd probably try something like

- 5 Hundings
    - 5 Marksman (obtained via PVP rewards and guild stores. Increases your damage with bow abilities by 8% and reduces stam costs by 5%)
    - 1 Veli/Kena to amp your weapon damage

Try to gold out your main offensive weapon if you can - it will add an additional 200 weapon damage or so. Definitely worth doing. The good thing about golding a bow is that rosin is really cheap compared to tempers for swords.

Grind out Mages Guild so you can unlock might of the guild. Casting this will empower your next attack, increasing its damage by 20%. Shooting an empowered snipe from stealth will certainly not tickle an enemy. Use draining shot to knock back enemies and heal you.

Having said all that, I'd probably wait until you're CP160 before worrying about improving weapons to gold. But definitely stick to the Non-CP campaign in the meantime.

Good luck!
  • SkylarkX
    SkylarkX
    ✭✭✭✭
    Quite the reality check heading out for the first time into PvP. Attempting to be a bow based NS. The theory is to roam around and pick off stragglers ....

As others have said bow can work quite well but you'll have to learn the ins and outs and build for it. It took me some time but my lethal arrow for example hits players now for up to 18k+ - there are many buffs in the game as well as sets that can help you achieve the damage you're looking for.

Also, in pvp it is generally recommended to use impenetrable trait gear as it helps to mitigate crits and so flattens out those incoming damage spikes. You can think about it kinda like input/output - damage comes in, healing comes out. Where you have a shortfall between the two you can look at ways to lessen damage (resistance, damage reduction, block), or avoid it (dodge chance, dodge roll, cloak, etc).

You'll get there!
    Edited by SkylarkX on November 26, 2016 3:34PM
    Nocturnal - Oceanic PvX Guild
    Skylärk / Dunmer DK
    Skylårk / Bosmer NB
    Skylörd / Khajiit Sorcerer
    Elizabeth Skylark / Breton Templar
    PC/NA/AD
  • THEDKEXPERIENCE
    THEDKEXPERIENCE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Speaking of PVP being sobering.

I just ran into a former emperor (very good player too) running a double proc build (so good and annoying) who also has a player on my Alliance act as a scout for him so people couldn't sneak up on him (the lowest of low at this point).

I wouldn't have even accused them if the guy on my own team didn't teabag me and then run off with the yellow basically hand and hand.

Moral of the story ... soloing is hard.
  • Kutsuu
    Kutsuu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PVP is hard even for people who have spent hundreds of hours in there. Even 561s with all gold gear have trouble soloing. Some highly edited You Tube videos make it look like you can just walk in and leave mountains of bodies in your path, which is really hard to do for even the best players.

Aside from upgrading your gear try to find a friendly Zerg. Don't listen to the anti-Zerg trolls on this forum. Being part of a large group is how Cyrodiil was designed. Even soloers will latch onto Zergs. Being part of a 40 on 40 fight is a great time.

A few more things ...

- Be prepared for anything. Have different potions, siege weapons, and abilities to counter all 4 classes. Anti-stealth for NBs, non projectile range for DKs, roots for Sorcs, and I'm a Templar so you can figure that out. :)
    - Cyrodiil is not a dungeon. Unless you're in a role defined large group you better be able to able to do part of all 3 roles.
    - Heavy armor is king.
    - Minimum you want 20k health, 30k+ magic or stamina, 20k spell and physical resistance. These are minimums.
    - I always get in arguments about the value of impen gear and crit resist but it's undeniable that impen gear is popular. I use infused and divines for more offense but some people swear by impen. I currently have 1003 crit resist. Your mileage may vary.

You playing on PC or console?
    PC/NA

Envy Me - Sorc
    Kutsus - NB
    Kutsmuffin - Temp
    Kutsuu the Destroyer - NB
    Kutsuu - Temp
    Natsu Dragoneel - DK
    Kutsumo - NB
  • THEDKEXPERIENCE
    THEDKEXPERIENCE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Kutsuu wrote: »

A few more things ...

- Heavy armor is king.

You playing on PC or console?

Console
  • AshTal
    AshTal
    ✭✭✭✭
    I still suck at PvP however I remember first starting and going from the under 50 to a standard campaign. I would attack people and watch them take no damage as I hit them with everything, walk over to me and kill me in 3 seconds surprised I every went back to be fair.
  • KingYogi415
    KingYogi415
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If you have purple cp40 gear your stats would be better then these people.

Even with good stats, there are pvp players who live is cryo, and you won't beat them no matter the meta.
  • Lokey0024
    Lokey0024
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well theres your problem. Sobriety is the leading cause of buthurt in the world according to this piechart i just thought up. Drink moar of the things and you'll be gud
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Despite all the good advise , he's right .
  • thedude33
    thedude33
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the advice ...and the support. Going to push through to cp160 and take a break from pvp. Maybe visit the non cp zone to try and get stuff leveled a bit. Though I will still be facing cp160 gear and weapons?

• Kutsuu
    Kutsuu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the advice ...and the support. Going to push through to cp160 and take a break from pvp. Maybe visit the non cp zone to try and get stuff leveled a bit. Though I will still be facing cp160 gear and weapons?

Correct, you will still be facing CP160 gear/weapons. I have a feeling at your level that you still have plenty of skills to level up to rank IV (both morphs), weapons to level to 50, etc. When I was grinding up my CPs and skills on my main, I had a couple of characters in blackwater blade around level 20-40 who I kept a nice set of crafted gear on and played for my PVP fix while I was grinding my main in PVE. Just a suggestion.
    PC/NA

Envy Me - Sorc
    Kutsus - NB
    Kutsmuffin - Temp
    Kutsuu the Destroyer - NB
    Kutsuu - Temp
    Natsu Dragoneel - DK
    Kutsumo - NB
  • SneaK
    SneaK
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I wouldn't recommend breaking from Cyrodiil. You'll only get better if you put in the time to learn how Cyrodiil works. Would suggest playing in (vocal) groups for awhile running a utility build (Rapids, Caltrops, Barrier, etc.). Probably more of a ranged player for awhile. Run seige like others have suggested. Hitting 160 isn't going to help near as much as getting experience in Cyro.
    "IMO"
    Aldmeri Dominion
    Bosmer Nightblade AR 32 - Altmer Templar AR 26 - Dunmer Dragonknight AR 18 - Altmer Sorcerer AR 20 - Khajiit Dragonknight AR 18
    (+3 not worth mentioning, yet)
  • thedude33
    thedude33
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kind of a chicken and egg scenario. I really want to still participate in PvP. Especially like you said to learn the ropes. Still, my second day was spent inside a keep too afraid to leave ....because every time I did, I got 2 shot. So no learning involved. No XP gain and dangerously close to walking away from the game....which I don't want to do because other than that day, I am really enjoying the game.

Running with a pack didn't help. It was like a National Geographic episode with Wolves pulling the runt out of a herd of Elk.

• Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Running with a pack didn't help. It was like a National Geographic episode with Wolves pulling the runt out of a herd of Elk.

Lmao you sir, have a way with words +1
  • visionality
    visionality
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pls don't complain that with newbie PVP skill and inferior gear, you can't kill high-end players. What would be the point if you could? Why would you ever try to improve?
  • Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pls don't complain that with newbie PVP skill and inferior gear, you can't kill high-end players. What would be the point if you could? Why would you ever try to improve?

Jesus christ, chill dude. He's asking for help, not to get drilled by a clown.
  • visionality
    visionality
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alucardo wrote: »

Is he? Maybe you should read his initial post?
  • thedude33
    thedude33
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Complaining? Maybe reread my post. It was a comment and observation. Ended the post with .... "Still have a ton to learn and need better equipment"

ESL ?

• Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alucardo wrote: »

Is he? Maybe you should read his initial post?

You mean the part where he said he still has much to learn and needs better equipment, or where he's confused because the power gap between players is much higher in ESO than other games?
  • SneaK
    SneaK
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kind of a chicken and egg scenario. I really want to still participate in PvP. Especially like you said to learn the ropes. Still, my second day was spent inside a keep too afraid to leave ....because every time I did, I got 2 shot. So no learning involved. No XP gain and dangerously close to walking away from the game....which I don't want to do because other than that day, I am really enjoying the game.

Haha, sorry it happened, but that's pretty funny!

One comment -
    "Running with a pack" - does that mean you were following a group or were you actually in the group? Reason I ask is you need to actually join a group, be able to listen to their call outs and gain an understanding of some strategies. Following those big groups is normally a disaster. Very seldom are there any real tactics to pick up from the zergs.

Hopefully your Cyro experience gets better.
    "IMO"
    Aldmeri Dominion
    Bosmer Nightblade AR 32 - Altmer Templar AR 26 - Dunmer Dragonknight AR 18 - Altmer Sorcerer AR 20 - Khajiit Dragonknight AR 18
    (+3 not worth mentioning, yet)
  • runningtings
    runningtings
    ✭✭✭
    Join a Guild, the members will help you out.
    // DC / EU PC// Garión<< The Black >>
  • Toc de Malsvi
    Toc de Malsvi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As some have already said, you should stick with the no CP campaign at the very least up until you have 160 cp and 160 cp gear. Personally I would stay with that campaign until around 300+ cp.

As far as picking off players, you should make sure you can see their health, there is a setting for it. Things to pay attention to are health+gear appearance+skills being cast.

If you want to follow that play style find another ganker and run with them for a bit. Preferably an experienced ganker from whom you can pick up a few tips and tricks.

They won't want you around all the time and eventually you'll want to strike out on your own, but early on while you are weak and learning it can be greatly beneficial to your experience if you run with someone else. They can pick you up when things go badly, as well as two players burst will almost always kill single targets.
    Legendary Archer of Valenwood
    Bosmer Dragon Knight Archer. XBox One. (Flawless Conqueror Bow/Bow)
    Bosmer Nightblade Archer. Xbox One. (Flawless Conqueror Bow/Bow)
    Bosmer Sorcerer Archer. Xbox One. (Flawless Conqueror Bow/Bow)
    Bosmer Warden Archer. Xbox One. (Flawless Conqueror Bow/Bow)
    Templar's are evil..