The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Game freezes when guard attacks me

ObsidianDoll
It gets weirder..

Even when my bounty is low (for example 60G) and my status is DISREPUTABLE a guard will stop me for me to pay my fine, but then my screen freezes and my bounty goes up as if I just attacked the guard. So now the guard is killing me and I cant do anything except move my mouse cursor and use ESC to go to menu and quit the game.
Even if I wait, my screen will stay frozen and Ill be dead. Not able to click the revive here or at waypoint.

When I quit the game in any circumstance, windows will tell me that ESO has stopped working.. This has been happening for a couple weeks now I think.
I don't usually get bounties and get into trouble with the guards, so Im not sure if these issues are related.
I have just found out now as I am doing the Thieves Guild quests.

Really hope someone can help out.
  • TruthSeeker
    TruthSeeker
    ✭✭✭
    Hi ObsidianDoll (cool name),

The same thing sometimes happens to me. A guard is attacking me out of nowhere, there is no dialogue option and I am unable to fight or flee. I am still frozen when I revive (minus a hefty fee for my murder + any stolen items that were on my person), whether at a wayshrine or in situ. I have tried quitting the game when this happens but it resolves nothing because I am dead when loaded and have still lost gold and stolen goods.

This has even happened in unlikely locations, such as by the wayshrine in Stormhold (Shadowfen), where guards do not normally patrol.

Thankfully it doesn't happen very often, at least to me. And I don't recall login problems after restarting the game. I play on PS4.
  • ObsidianDoll
    Hi ObsidianDoll (cool name),

The same thing sometimes happens to me. A guard is attacking me out of nowhere, there is no dialogue option and I am unable to fight or flee. I am still frozen when I revive (minus a hefty fee for my murder + any stolen items that were on my person), whether at a wayshrine or in situ. I have tried quitting the game when this happens but it resolves nothing because I am dead when loaded and have still lost gold and stolen goods.

This has even happened in unlikely locations, such as by the wayshrine in Stormhold (Shadowfen), where guards do not normally patrol.

Thankfully it doesn't happen very often, at least to me. And I don't recall login problems after restarting the game. I play on PS4.

Thanks Truthseeker!

At least now I know I am not the only one..
  • geargut
    geargut
    Soul Shriven
    Happens to me, alot. All I can do is cry about it in chat for awhile then I have to relog. Even if I res I just get a different screen to look at with the same broken controls.
  • KylerF
    KylerF
    This is getting very annoying. This time when I tried to fast travel, this is where I ended up. Bethesda you need to fix this.
    Khilorn Freewander
    Male Khajiit, Dragonknight
    Mostly PvE(er)
    Self proclaimed "Lore Junkie"
  • bulbousb16_ESO
    bulbousb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This happens on PC NA as well. I think there are a lot of threads about this.
    Lethal zergling
  • vuwuv
    vuwuv
    ✭✭
    This game breaking bug is not fixed for almost a year, how could this be? Is anyone here responsible for reading these reports or they are just going to the void?
  • MyrddinEmrys
    MyrddinEmrys
    ✭✭✭
    Ive been complaining about this for a LONG time, and have never even seen a response from ZOS.
  • vuwuv
    vuwuv
    ✭✭
    This may even happen several times on a row. Zenimax, will you return all the gold I lost due to the bug you can't fix for YEARS? Is this the only way how your company works?
  • vuwuv
    vuwuv
    ✭✭
    You'll be slain on sight!