The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Tips for Maelstrom Arena as a Magicka Templar

watts320
watts320
✭✭✭
Does anyone have any tips for doing Maelstrom arena, I am a healer so I dont tend to do much DPS. I really wanna get it done as Ive never done it before. So wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction as of skills I should use. Ive looked up some guides and youtube videos, but there all out of date. Im a Magicka Templar with CP344.
  • Lieblingsjunge
    Lieblingsjunge
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heyo!
    Sweeps. Sweeps. Sweeps. Sweeps. Sweep your way through the arena :)
    For vMA, you NEED to do DPS. I'm a healbot on my Templar as well, but when you're doing vMA, you need the deeeeps. You got 344 CP, which is great. Get CP160 Gear(Purple is enough) damage-gear. I think people either use TBS or Julianos these days.

Other than that, I suggest just go there. It takes a while to learn the mechanics, but once you master them, you can easily do it on 344 CP. It just takes a while to master the mechanics :)
    Ignorance is the greatest weapon of tyranny.
    PC - EU.
    Lieblingsjunge(AD) - Racechanged Argonian :< | AR 50 - No double AP or Bleakers involved |
    Sits-On-Cacti(DC) - Problem?
    Fail-With-Tail(AD) - Healing Springs-spammer :<
    Tiny Liebs(EP) - Very Tiny. Also heals.
    Lieblingsmädchen(DC) - Magplar is love.
    The Dominàtrix(AD) - Chains, whip, whip, whip.
    Fluffy Furball Kitten(DC) - Kittycat, meow.
    Your Face(EP) - People make bad jokes about my name =(
    Liebs-With-Trees(AD) - Male argo with a big tail :>

Officer/Sandwitch of Zerg Squad
    My title: The Maneater, Destroyer of Maneuvers, Bane of Potatoes, she who devours them, The Black Hole, the humorless, first of her name.
  • watts320
    watts320
    ✭✭✭
    Cheers mate. I have the full set of Julianos which ive kinda changed with 2 of the spell power cure boots and chest which I got. Rest of me is Julianos.
  • Lieblingsjunge
    Lieblingsjunge
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't done it in ages, but I think people run with a similar set-up, or versions of it:
    Valkyn Skoria head + shoulder. Julianos. Willpower. + Torug's pact dual wield swords + resto staff.
    Molag Kena shoulder/hat + Torug's shoulder/hat. Julianos. WIllpower + Torug's destruction staff & resto staff.

I've also seen people run 2x Vicious Death rings, and then 2x Dual wield Willpower swords + willpower neck.

Also running 3x Infallible Aether if you can get it instead of 3x Willpower would help :> But that's effort to farm :#
    Ignorance is the greatest weapon of tyranny.
    PC - EU.
    Lieblingsjunge(AD) - Racechanged Argonian :< | AR 50 - No double AP or Bleakers involved |
    Sits-On-Cacti(DC) - Problem?
    Fail-With-Tail(AD) - Healing Springs-spammer :<
    Tiny Liebs(EP) - Very Tiny. Also heals.
    Lieblingsmädchen(DC) - Magplar is love.
    The Dominàtrix(AD) - Chains, whip, whip, whip.
    Fluffy Furball Kitten(DC) - Kittycat, meow.
    Your Face(EP) - People make bad jokes about my name =(
    Liebs-With-Trees(AD) - Male argo with a big tail :>

Officer/Sandwitch of Zerg Squad
    My title: The Maneater, Destroyer of Maneuvers, Bane of Potatoes, she who devours them, The Black Hole, the humorless, first of her name.
  • Acharnor
    Acharnor
    ✭✭✭✭
    I wish you luck - Im a Magicka Templar and cant get off the first boss. You might want to read the thread I put up it is on this page re: Maxus the many.
    Celebrate for life is short but sweet for certain.
  • Elara_Northwind
    Elara_Northwind
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    On my templar, I used 5 kagrenacs, 3 willpower, molag kena hat, torugs pact shoulder and 2 torugs pact swords, and torugs pact sword and shield on the other bar which I switched to Ice staff in a couple of the rounds. I used mainly sweeps, whilst standing in my channelled focus and ritual of retribution. I also found that toppling charge came in very very handy :smile:
    Sorcerer, Templar, Wolf Collector, Housing Addict!

GM of Salted Wings Tavern and Salted Wings Housing 🏠🌻

'A House is Built with Boards and Beams, a Home is Built with Love and Dreams'

Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/c/ElaraNorthwind
  • RoyalPink06
    RoyalPink06
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OP, I'm in the exact same boat as you. Just completed normal with my Breton Templar, also primarily a healer so my DPS is subpar. My set up is Julianos/Seducer/Torug/Willpower, all gold (except purple Willpower jewels), which I'm sure will need some tweaking. I'm super nervous about the veteran level lol. At least I have 513 CP at this point, but I know its still gonna be a struggle. If you manage to get through it, I'd love to hear about what set up you found worked for you and what skills, etc. I also plan to pop custom potions like pills throughout, and see if that helps.

Its the mechanics that give me the rage though. So I'm sure that will be the biggest challenge for us.

Good luck to ye.
    Edited by RoyalPink06 on September 1, 2016 4:26PM
    NA PS4
  • Acharnor
    Acharnor
    ✭✭✭✭
    We need a Templar support Group. I was so set up for healing that I think I have to totally swap CPs around if I want a chance. D'oh!
    Edited by Acharnor on September 1, 2016 5:05PM
  • Acharnor
    Acharnor
    ✭✭✭✭
  • sluice
    sluice
    ✭✭✭✭
    PSN: sluiceqc (NA-PS4) CP: 551+
    I strictly play on Daggerfall Covenant for when it comes to PvP
    Daggerfall Covenant
    sluice - Orc Sorcerer (50)
    Anýa - Bosmer Nightblade (0..50)

Aldmeri Dominion (PvE only)
    Arýä - Altmer Sorcerer (50)
    Marksar - Breton Templar (50)
    Maksar - Bosmer Nightblade (50)
    sluice - Imperial Dragonknight (0..50) R.I.P.

Ebonheart Pact
    Can't-Heal-Stupid - Argonian Templar (0..50)

#VMATOKENSYSTEM #TRAITCHANGE
    (vMA) drop table and probability
  • Brutusmax1mus
    Brutusmax1mus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So julianos is better then tbs?
  • Acharnor
    Acharnor
    ✭✭✭✭
    Did you get it done yet?? I just finally did it myself as a Magicka Templar. Was a nerve wracking experience.
  • watts320
    watts320
    ✭✭✭
    I was gonna. But i got dashboarded
  • UppGRAYxDD
    UppGRAYxDD
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, the struggle is real for Magplars in Maelstrom. After raging quiting numerous times, I decided to forget about Maelstrom arena and focus on other ingame goals. That was until recently with the reworking of Hvy armor and the Wrath passive's ability to give flat value gains to spell dmg that i resurrected my ambition to try again.

Gear: 5pc Storm knight(neck, ring, spl dmg glyphs), 3 willpower(2wield swords on front bar, ring, spl dmg ,prismatic,and increase spl dmg glyphs) 5 clever Alchemist(S&B defending on back bar, infused) 3 Body
    5/1/1 heavy all magicka enchants

Skills: 2x wield bar: radient aura, jabs, radient glory, toppling charge, inner light. Ultimate: Barrier
    S&B bar: ritual or retribution, rune focus, vampires bane, struct entropy, Honor the dead Ultimate: Ice Comet

High Elf, Vampire stage 2-4, Max health magicka recov drink, potions Lingering Health, duel poison poison on S@B

Order of Attack: ritual, rune focus, proc alchemist, structured entropy, vampires bane, switch bar jab jab jab, drop Comet, jab jab jab some more, execute....

Optional setups: replace storm knight with Hvy Kags, elf bane with transmute 3 pcs, or hvy Julianos

In hvy armor and invigorating health pots I was able to literally jab my way thru the entire arena multiple times now. Im still learning tactics for higher scores but currently I am able to score 450,000 plus on a regular basis.

Hopefully this will help fellow Magplars out there to complete something that most of us had written off.

BTW, if using storm knight be cafeful you dont kill the argonian healers on the rd 7 boss when he enrages..just wait till a few seconds before entering the protective bubble ;)

Edited by UppGRAYxDD on September 10, 2016 7:47PM
    "Stendarr's mercy be upon you, for the vigil has none to spare."
  • Acharnor
    Acharnor
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hey @UppGRAYxDD - quick question - do you know if things like the wrath passive only works if wearing heavy? Or if you earned it and now run light is it still working if you have points in heavy. Not sure if that makes sense.
  • watts320
    watts320
    ✭✭✭
    UppGRAYxDD wrote: »
    Yes, the struggle is real for Magplars in Maelstrom. After raging quiting numerous times, I decided to forget about Maelstrom arena and focus on other ingame goals. That was until recently with the reworking of Hvy armor and the Wrath passive's ability to give flat value gains to spell dmg that i resurrected my ambition to try again.

Gear: 5pc Storm knight(neck, ring, spl dmg glyphs), 3 willpower(2wield swords on front bar, ring, spl dmg ,prismatic,and increase spl dmg glyphs) 5 clever Alchemist(S&B defending on back bar, infused) 3 Body
    5/1/1 heavy all magicka enchants

Skills: 2x wield bar: radient aura, jabs, radient glory, toppling charge, inner light. Ultimate: Barrier
    S&B bar: ritual or retribution, rune focus, vampires bane, struct entropy, Honor the dead Ultimate: Ice Comet

High Elf, Vampire stage 2-4, Max health magicka recov drink, potions Lingering Health, duel poison poison on S@B

Order of Attack: ritual, rune focus, proc alchemist, structured entropy, vampires bane, switch bar jab jab jab, drop Comet, jab jab jab some more, execute....

Optional setups: replace storm knight with Hvy Kags, elf bane with transmute 3 pcs, or hvy Julianos

In hvy armor and invigorating health pots I was able to literally jab my way thru the entire arena multiple times now. Im still learning tactics for higher scores but currently I am able to score 450,000 plus on a regular basis.

Hopefully this will help fellow Magplars out there to complete something that most of us had written off.

BTW, if using storm knight be cafeful you dont kill the argonian healers on the rd 7 boss when he enrages..just wait till a few seconds before entering the protective bubble ;)

This is something ive been struggling with that boss. I use the bubble to protect myself but when his health gets to like 100k.. he just owns me in one shot.
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Molag Kena shoulder/hat + Torug's shoulder/hat. Julianos. WIllpower + Torug's destruction staff & resto staff.
    Hmm, this is exactly my magicka Templar's DPS setup. I should try vMA with that character and see how it goes...
    Caius Drusus Imperial DK (DC)
    Bragg Ironhand Orc Temp (DC)
    Neesha Stalks-Shadows Argonian NB (EP)
    Falidir Altmer Sorcr (AD)
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Isabeau Runeseer Breton Sorc (DC)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    Tylera the Summoner Altmer Sorc (EP)
    Svari Snake-Blood Nord DK (AD)
    Ashlyn D'Elyse Breton NB (EP)
    Filindria Bosmer Temp (DC)
    Vigbjorn the Wanderer Nord Warden (EP)
    Hrokki Winterborn Breton Warden (DC)
    Basks-in-the-Sunshine Argonian Temp
    Someone stole my sweetroll
  • UppGRAYxDD
    UppGRAYxDD
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Acharnor wrote: »
    Hey @UppGRAYxDD - quick question - do you know if things like the wrath passive only works if wearing heavy? Or if you earned it and now run light is it still working if you have points in heavy. Not sure if that makes sense.

Only wearing 5 PC hvy will proc wrath passive.
    "Stendarr's mercy be upon you, for the vigil has none to spare."
  • MissBizz
    MissBizz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm useless as... we won't go there. But I starred this thread for myself for the future, you may find it helpful.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/233356/joys-updated-guide-to-beating-maelstrom-arena-now-with-videos
    Lone Wolf HelpFor the solo players who know, sometimes you just need a hand.PC | NA | AD-DC-EP | Discord
  • Wrecking_Blow_Spam
    Wrecking_Blow_Spam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Julianos/tbs, skoria, willpower.
    Dual wield/destro and resto.
    Thief mundus.

I personally don't like the Templars sustain even with focus the sustain isn't great.

I prefer using healing ward over BoL. Especially if you're a light armour user.
    Xbox one EU
    8 Flawless conquerors on all class specs (4 stam, 4 magicka)
    Doesn't stand in red
  • Acharnor
    Acharnor
    ✭✭✭✭
    I tried out the Stormknight set, had four pieces so only needed to pick up one (a mishmash of traits though). Not sure if it was the heavy armour or the new strategy I tried but I got through the second round way easier than I thought I would. I may flip back to my normal set for rd 3 or who knows I might run with this if it keeps me moving forward.
  • Van_0S
    Van_0S
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    watts320 wrote: »
    Cheers mate. I have the full set of Julianos which ive kinda changed with 2 of the spell power cure boots and chest which I got. Rest of me is Julianos.

You need good DPS. That is you need to use a destro staff and have sharpened trait in it. Don't use dual welding, it's for burst damage that is good for PvP.
    Edited by Van_0S on September 14, 2016 11:46AM
  • Acharnor
    Acharnor
    ✭✭✭✭
    I despise when there is a dps race. Mechanics sure, but just blasting stuff down is not how I prefer to play. That being said I have done what I can to up my DPS for this blasted place!
  • Caipiroska
    as a templar healer i think i can help u a little.

I finished it for the first time like 1 month ago and i was running 5 kagrenac + 5 (switching) alchemist.

the first thing that u have to know is that the first time at each boss will be very frustrating. I've spent weeks in the last boss and a couple of days in the stage of the ice.
    It will be easier each time u do it .

I was that frustrated that i tried many builds, i tried even sword and shield.

Finnaly i decided to use the build that everyone recommends and the difference is big.
    x5 julianos + 2 skoria. 1 heavy 1 medium 5 light. 3 willpower, 1 resto, 1 maelstro destro or torug dual wield

You will have like 2500/2600 spell damage without buffs.

Another thing that i use is the orzoga drink that increase health and mag recovery.

skills i use: dual wield: puncturing sweeps, shards, radiant, breath of life, vampire's bane
    resto: mutagen, the spell shield from light armor (dont remember the name), channeled focus, breath of life, toppling charge

I use spell damage, spell critical and mag regeneratioin potions also (essence of spell power).

Just tell me in which stage are u having problems and i'll tell u how to do it not being an experienced player (it happened to me that i watched videos doing it so easy but that didn't help me)

ps: I have 400 CP now and i can do it all the maelstrom in 1 hour and 10 min (im still a noob but what i want to show u is that ur cp is ok )
  • Lutallo
    Lutallo
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't recommend Julianos unless you have points into health. As a new player to Maelstrom with low CP, if you have anything below 20k health you'll be getting wiped very very very often. Put some points into health. Allthough you'll sacrifice a bit of damage, you can supplement that by using the sigils anyway.

PS: Try to get Twice Born made instead of Julianos.
    Edited by Lutallo on September 15, 2016 11:14AM
    "Rock is too OP, please nerf"
    Sincerely, Scissors.
  • Acharnor
    Acharnor
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have considered making a set of TBS to try out - it seems like the big alternative being suggested frequently. May as well - got mats to spare.
  • Buddheia
    Buddheia
    ✭✭✭
    I'm in there with a templar on my first run. I've not been able to complete it while being in there since the Orsinium event started last week and as a result I hate the place but I'm probably not alone. Currently stuck on stage 9.

My setup is 5xrattlecage, 3xwillpower, 2xtorug swords+resto staff, for monster sets I've used Grothdarr for all arenas except arena nr 6 with the spiders as they are vulnerable to cold dmg so I used Iceheart for that stage.

One skill I would highly recommend for the templar is "Total Dark" it will help alot against strong ranged mobs.

On a side note; my friends are doing daily runs with their stamina sorcs so I think I'm the sucker for not having one...