Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Non-Combat and combat pets

KimoBitz
KimoBitz
✭✭✭
So,I just downloaded the one tamriel update on my ps4 and I know Im too late,But I had school and exams and now Im finally free.Anyway I saw alot of new changes from the new menu loading screen to an intresting tab in the collection menu called"Non-combat pets".seeing this striked a theory to mind.Will zos ever add combat pets ?From what I see adding this might tell us that zos is working on combat pets.Tell me what you think
  • Greifenherz
    Greifenherz
    ✭✭✭
    I think by their definition combat pets are the familiars in the Daedric Summoning skill line of sorcerers.
    This is because there is a keybind for combat pets which affects these familiars.
    Edited by Greifenherz on November 13, 2016 9:00AM
  • Epona222
    Epona222
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The name of the vanity pets page in your collectibles screen was changed to "Non-Combat Pets" to distinguish them from Sorc summons. There are already combat pets in the game if you play a Sorceror. It does not mean that there are more combat pets coming, if you want that play a Sorc.
    GM - Ghost Sea Trading Co - NA PC

Epona was a Romano-Celtic goddess dating back to around 1800 to 2000 years before computer games were invented.
  • Skcarkden
    Skcarkden
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think by their definition combat pets are the familiars in the Daedric Summoning skill line of sorcerers.
    This is because there is a keybind for combat pets which affects these familiars.

So the real question is, why the re-wording all of a sudden for the collections pets? It made no impact on anything to re-name them as non-combat, but meanwhile i know of one armour set that gives extra magicka with a pet out... doesn't seem to specify combar or non combat pet but i'm going to assume it's specifically combat pets.
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's not even appropriate to call the Summoned Daedra "Pets". They're not Pets, they're creatures from Oblivion forced to your service until you either press the button again, or they die.
    CP2,000 Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • Epona222
    Epona222
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Skcarkden wrote: »

So the real question is, why the re-wording all of a sudden for the collections pets? It made no impact on anything to re-name them as non-combat, but meanwhile i know of one armour set that gives extra magicka with a pet out... doesn't seem to specify combar or non combat pet but i'm going to assume it's specifically combat pets.

Have you never tried to talk a newbie through the basic stuff in this game? For me it is a relief to have them renamed, because it saves me having to explain that when people are talking about pets it could mean 1 of 2 different things. And that a "pet build" does not involve sanguines goat. This saves untold confusion.
    Edited by Epona222 on November 13, 2016 9:42AM
    GM - Ghost Sea Trading Co - NA PC

Epona was a Romano-Celtic goddess dating back to around 1800 to 2000 years before computer games were invented.
  • Skcarkden
    Skcarkden
    ✭✭✭✭
    Epona222 wrote: »
    Skcarkden wrote: »

Have you never tried to talk a newbie through the basic stuff in this game? For me it is a relief to have them renamed, because it saves me having to explain that when people are talking about pets it could mean 1 of 2 different things. And that a "pet build" does not involve sanguines goat. This saves untold confusion.

Well, unfortunately when people cater for idiots you tend to only get them :/
  • KimoBitz
    KimoBitz
    ✭✭✭
    What I think is that zos is working on combat pets
  • KingYogi415
    KingYogi415
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I agree. I think combat pets will be in the future as well.

Cheers!
  • JasonSilverSpring
    JasonSilverSpring
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Combat pets would create huge balance issues and if they put them in crown store it would be pay to win. I highly doubt it will happen. They just labeled it to make it clear that cosmetic pets have no impact on combat.
  • WalksonGraves
    WalksonGraves
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Combat pets include shades, sorc summons, spider spawns from trapping webs, etc.
  • KimoBitz
    KimoBitz
    ✭✭✭
    Combat pets include shades, sorc summons, spider spawns from trapping webs, etc.

These are not pets
  • KimoBitz
    KimoBitz
    ✭✭✭
    Combat pets would create huge balance issues and if they put them in crown store it would be pay to win. I highly doubt it will happen. They just labeled it to make it clear that cosmetic pets have no impact on combat.

ZOS would figure it out
  • WalksonGraves
    WalksonGraves
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    KimoBitz wrote: »

These are not pets

Yes, they are. You can argue semantics but I'm guessing you have to look it up first.

Oh and monster set summons also count.
    Edited by WalksonGraves on November 13, 2016 5:44PM
  • Supersuperguy
    Supersuperguy
    ✭✭
    I suspect combat pets will be added at some point.

Makes no sense to have a trusty tiger that is obviously de-fanged and de-clawed.....

Players will probably grow tired of the show dog pets and they may introduce combat variations.

Didn't Morrowind have a taming ability? Maybe a DLC will introduce a tamer class, more money can be made with cash show pets though.

Balanced issues? In an MMO? Ya don't say......I don't know a balanced MMO to date; I am not saying they do not exist, but a lot are unbalanced but not game breaking.

If all else fails, make them solo only. "Balance" issue solved.

Every other MMO has combat pets, why not.

• Bouldercleave
    Bouldercleave
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I would like my alliance war dog to at lease BARK or GROWL or something while I'm fighting. He just kinda hangs out.

I don't want him to actually fight as a combat pet (well I DO, but we know why he doesn't), but he could at least act pissed off or protective.
  • Abeille
    Abeille
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would like my alliance war dog to at lease BARK or GROWL or something while I'm fighting. He just kinda hangs out.

I don't want him to actually fight as a combat pet (well I DO, but we know why he doesn't), but he could at least act pissed off or protective.

That would be kinda hilarious.

They are little cuties already. Imagine them shying away from danger and just barking at it while you do all the work. I love this idea.
    Just so that everyone knows, my Altmer still can't have black hair. About a dozen of Altmer NPCs in the game have black hair. Just saying.

Meet my characters:
    Command: Do the thing.

Zadarri, Khajiit Fist of Thalmor: The thing was done, as commanded.
    Durza gra-Maghul, Orc blacksmith: The thing was done perfectly, in the most efficient way.
    Tegwen, Bosmer troublemaker: You can't prove I didn't do the thing.
    Sings-Many-Songs, Argonian fisher: Sure, I'll do the thing... Eventually. Maybe.
    Aerindel, Altmer stormcaller: After extensive research, I've come to the conclusion that doing the thing would be a waste of resources.
    Liliel, Dunmer pyromancer: Aerindel said I shouldn't do the thing. Something about "resources".
    Gyda Snowcaller, Nord cryomancer: I will find a way to do it that won't waste resources and make Aerindel proud of me.
    Beatrice Leoriane, Breton vampire: I persuaded someone else into doing the thing. You are welcome, dear.
    Sahima, Redguard performer: Doing the thing sounds awfully unpleasant and really not my problem.
    Ellaria Valerius, Imperial priestess: I'll pray to the Eight for the thing to be done, if it is Their will.
  • Unsent.Soul
    Unsent.Soul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    KimoBitz wrote: »

ZOS would figure it out

I take it you haven't been with us for long?
    Edited by Unsent.Soul on November 29, 2016 2:24AM
  • jarnkoldur
    jarnkoldur
    ✭✭✭
    Just to add my two drakes to this converstation; should they decide to add (non-sorceror) combat pets, I hope they put variations on old favorites. You know spice the more well known pets like Pokemon did with the Alola variants.

Here is my take on the Vvardenfell Scamp variant...

AOJ7og.jpg
    Edited by jarnkoldur on November 29, 2016 2:36AM
    "And when the truth finally dawns, it shall dawn in fire!"
  • Supersuperguy
    Supersuperguy
    ✭✭
    That is a not a bad idea actually, they need to do something at least, those are so well behaved tigers and panthers to just contain their inner beast while watching the owner get mauled.

There needs to be an assist option, or a meter which makes the ferocious pets jump in over a period of time until calmed while cats and smaller dogs growl/hiss. What panther watches violence without being a part of it?

Sorry, but it just looks so crazy. I get that it is a video game, but man it looks silly.

I understand the folks whom do not want them, but something needs to be done for the sake of silliness. it is not a big deal but looks strange.
  • Herelacfreahelm
    Herelacfreahelm
    ✭✭✭
    Well I for one support the addition of some limited number of combat pets that could be purchased from the crown store like these animals which are already in the game like a lion, a bear, a wolf that I know of so far and a few other animals would be cool like a gorilla, a alligator, and an eagle.

I hope that the developers will make this happen and address any balancing issues and do this right. This would just add more interesting gameplay to an already great game.

Edited by Herelacfreahelm on November 29, 2016 3:36AM
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They already have pets, as other posters have said (Spec summons ARE considered pets, read the wording of things like the Necro or Hunt set it references them. The reason they made this change is due to bad wording on several armour sets stating things like if you have a pet active gain Xxxx Magika, people logged alot of cases / posts on this forum saying it wasnt working when their Goat etc was active. So they changed the pet name to make it clear, rather than change all other references.
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • Supersuperguy
    Supersuperguy
    ✭✭
    But if vanity or non-combat pets where the only kind of pets in the crown store there will be no need to distinguish them. By default players know pets in the store are non-combat. they could have just said vanity; we all know by know vanity is the standard wording for useless pets.
  • LMar
    LMar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They renamed them so people wouldn't think you can buy pets from the crown store that deal damage.
    "If a stick of fish is a fish stick, it will stick like other fish sticks stick"
    "Taller races now sit in chairs correctly"