Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

How do you determine your DPS?

will_rob87
will_rob87
✭✭✭
Sorry for the potentially noobie question, but how is dps worked out? By this I mean, is it the maximum amount of damage that you can do with a single attack against the "perfect enemy" (i.e. low resistance, critical strike, stun bonus etc)? Or, is it more literal, meaning the maximum amount of perfect damage you can do in a one second period (including status effect like poison, flame, bleed etc)?
Just curious to know so I can work out how my character is getting on

Best Answers

• Asmael
    Asmael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Just refer to what DPS means: Damage Per Second. You deal 1000 damage to a mob, he dies after 10 seconds, you have 1000 / 10 = 100 DPS. It doesn't matter what buffs / crits / debuffs are used, DPS takes into account everything.

To have a good idea of your DPS, you need a sustained fight: taking down Bloodspawn in vet Spindleclutch II while you're the only one doing damage is a decent way, but you have a few tankier targets for more reliable parses.

On PC, you have addons (FTC, Combat metrics...) that automatically calculate your DPS. For Console, you have to do the math "by hand", so (mob HP / time to kill in seconds).
    PC EU - Zahraji of the Void, aka "Kitty", the fluffiest salmon genocider in town.
    Poke @AsmaeI (last letter is uppercase "i") on PC EU or Asmael#9325 on Discord and receive a meow today.
    Answer ✓
  • Totalitarian
    Totalitarian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Damage Dealt / Time taken to deal damage dealt == Average DPS over interval

Damage Dealt over interval / time interval == Average DPS over interval

That's basically all it is. It can be vigorously defined using calculus and sums, and even then, how I do the math, the equations are not complete to calculate DPS for any scenario.

It's relatively trivial to calculate DPS changes when you change your stats up, but calculating DPS by hand will be extremely tedious. You're best using the equations I put at the top to calculate your average DPS.
    PC NA CP 531+
    Aedric Fury Sits Around Doing Nothing
    Sola Auroron Magicka Templar
    Lunaria Chimeri Magicka Dragonknight
    The Chosen of the Storm Stamina Sorcerer
    Ward-Scales Magicka Nightblade
    Sanctius Luxen Stamina Templar
    Nerwaye Auroron Magicka Sorcerer
    Warden Vyrkyl Stamina Dragonknight
    The Ninth Adventurer Stamina Nightblade
    Magna-Sola Magicka Templar
    The Celestial Lady Magicka Templar
    Read their adventures!
    The Celestial Lady
    Answer ✓
  • will_rob87
    will_rob87
    ✭✭✭
    Ah ok, I see what you mean. So to get the mob HP, is that just the total amount of damage that I do during the fight before he dies? I always thought that you could "overkill" with the last strike?
  • will_rob87
    will_rob87
    ✭✭✭
    Excellent, thanks guys, very helpful. Time to start recording the fights and playing them back in slow mo (ps4 user)
  • Totalitarian
    Totalitarian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    will_rob87 wrote: »
    I always thought that you could "overkill" with the last strike?

You can overkill with the last strike, but so long as the mob that you're destroying has sufficiently high HP, that won't really matter.

If you overkill a mob by an extra 25k (that's probably a crit-tick of Radiant Destruction against a mob with <1k hp left), and it's a 1 million HP mob, that's an error of 2.5% in your damage dealt.

To quantify that error, let's say you have straight 30k DPS. An error of 2.5% means that you're in the range of 29250-30750 DPS

So long as you aren't managing to overkill a mob with huge numbers, you'll be fine.
    PC NA CP 531+
    Aedric Fury Sits Around Doing Nothing
    Sola Auroron Magicka Templar
    Lunaria Chimeri Magicka Dragonknight
    The Chosen of the Storm Stamina Sorcerer
    Ward-Scales Magicka Nightblade
    Sanctius Luxen Stamina Templar
    Nerwaye Auroron Magicka Sorcerer
    Warden Vyrkyl Stamina Dragonknight
    The Ninth Adventurer Stamina Nightblade
    Magna-Sola Magicka Templar
    The Celestial Lady Magicka Templar
    Read their adventures!
    The Celestial Lady
  • Danksta
    Danksta
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    will_rob87 wrote: »
    Ah ok, I see what you mean. So to get the mob HP, is that just the total amount of damage that I do during the fight before he dies? I always thought that you could "overkill" with the last strike?

In options you can turn mob HP on so it shows actual HP and/or HP%. Pretty useful to have on so you know exactly when you're in execute range.
    BawKinTackWarDs PS4/NA

• Lukums1
    Lukums1
    ✭✭✭✭
    We test on vet wayrest sewers on slimecraw.

Get a tank to use ONLY his strike taunt for STAM/MAGIC pen depending.

Then 1,700,000 divided by the time you got for example I got 57 seconds.

which = 29.8k dps single target.

Or to really give you a go.

Bloodspawn in spindle vet 2 = 3mill hp kill before enrage nice good test to (good dps)
    PS4 Yellow Scum Dominion
    1600+ vMA runs and counting
    Magicka Sorc - Flawless - 544k Score
    Stam Sorc - Flawless - 559k Score
    Stam DK - FLAWLESS 512k Score
    Stam NB - 492k Score - Work in progress
    Magicka Temp - 482k Score

The Ozmeric Dominion (Oceanic) Australian Based Guild

vMA "guru" - VHRC - vSO - vSOHM - vDSA - vAA - vMOL
    The Maelstrom BIBLE for beginners/Flawless Achieve Below
    https://www.twitch.tv/lukumms/v/111730700
    https://www.twitch.tv/videos/181142505

You have vMA questions? Want a guide? Helping hand? PM me!

Returns after 6 months back to back flawless
    https://go.twitch.tv/videos/180384648

• DrkHunter86
    DrkHunter86
    ✭✭✭

That's basically all it is. It can be vigorously defined using calculus and sums, and even then, how I do the math, the equations are not complete to calculate DPS for any scenario.

It's relatively trivial to calculate DPS changes when you change your stats up, but calculating DPS by hand will be extremely tedious. You're best using the equations I put at the top to calculate your average DPS.

This being said. I'm an eso vet playing since console launch but I'm out of touch with what a decent dos for classes are at. At one point I remember it being at like 20k. Can anyone give me rough numbers of what a good do is for each class. Mainly wondering for pvp. Thanks
  • Danksta
    Danksta
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

This being said. I'm an eso vet playing since console launch but I'm out of touch with what a decent dos for classes are at. At one point I remember it being at like 20k. Can anyone give me rough numbers of what a good do is for each class. Mainly wondering for pvp. Thanks

PvP is about burst, not sustained DPS.
    BawKinTackWarDs PS4/NA

• Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Danksta wrote: »

PvP is about burst, not sustained DPS.

Absolutely, theoretically a player with sustained dps of 19k could lose a match where a sustained dps player of 1k could win.

How?
    If the opponent has 21k health and can manage 20k hps, the 19k dps will never win, where a player with the burst capability of 23k in one sec could bring him down, theoretically
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds