Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

We should be able to buy mats of a lower tier than ours, as opposed to relying on writs to get them

Azurephoenix999
Azurephoenix999
✭✭✭✭✭
Right now, players who've maxed out all skill lines are finding it difficult to get mats for lower level gear. The only way for players like this to get mats of a lower tier, they must do their daily writ and...basically pray.

You spend about 30-40 of top tier materials and get 25 at most materials of a lower tier. This is not a fair trade, and considering we can only do one crafting writ per skill line each day, it shouldn't be this ridiculous to get crafting mats that should be worth less than the stuff we can find about 30 meters, give or take, outside of town.

These low level mats are now rarer than Rubedite....that is a clear indication of something being terribly wrong.

I say that if we go to a blacksmith vendor (for example), he should have all the mats BELOW our tier for sale. Almost exactly the same as how potency runes are sold via vendor, with the only difference being that whatever material is on your tier (e.g. Rubedite) will not be obtainable this way, and must be farmed normally.

This would make it a ton easier to make weapons and armor for lower level characters.

"But Azure, what about the shipments we get from writs? Wouldn't they be useless if this was implemented?"

That's true, but the contents of said shipments could easily be replaced with something more valuable that people actually want. For example, style or trait materials. Even honing stones would be a welcome change.
Edited by Azurephoenix999 on November 1, 2016 7:08PM
Guildmaster of Spectral Liberty - Xbox One - European Megaserver
  • Preyfar
    Preyfar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Right now, players who've maxed out all skill lines are finding it difficult to get mats for lower level gear. The only way for players like this to get mats of a lower tier, they must do their daily writ and...basically pray.
    As an end gamer, oddly... this is the one issue I don't have. I never have an issue getting hold of lower tier mats, especially for low end players. People go through the first 160 CP fairly fast, so gearing them up is fairly painless. Yeah, it may be possible people don't have a lot of mats, but guild stores have plenty. You can buy the mats from other players if need be, and that's good for the economy and other players who perhaps may not have reached the end game. Ingots still vary from 10-15 gold per ingot on PC NA. You can buy stacks of them for 2K a pop, and they're still fairly plentiful.

As a person who loves crafting for players I've not found finding lower tier mats to be an issue.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Preyfar wrote: »
    As an end gamer, oddly... this is the one issue I don't have..........and they're still fairly plentiful.

As a person who loves crafting for players I've not found finding lower tier mats to be an issue.

And where are the mats that are going to feed the Guild Stores for you to buy? All my characters either see L1 or L10 Mats, nothing in between. This mat debacle was just released so there is still a back stock to mats. I for one will not sell any of my intermediate mats. The Guild Stores are going to run out soon, they pretty much have on the PC/NA for anything that is not L1 or L10. Then where will you be?

They need to put the mats back the way they were, and let us use any mats for any level gear. I am tired for one of Ruby, it does not take dyes well, and the lower level styles are much more interesting than the Ruby look.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• ELDARTHVADER
    ELDARTHVADER
    ✭✭
    As an end gamer, oddly... this is the one issue I don't have. I never have an issue getting hold of lower tier mats, especially for low end players. People go through the first 160 CP fairly fast, so gearing them up is fairly painless. Yeah, it may be possible people don't have a lot of mats, but guild stores have plenty. You can buy the mats from other players if need be, and that's good for the economy and other players who perhaps may not have reached the end game. Ingots still vary from 10-15 gold per ingot on PC NA. You can buy stacks of them for 2K a pop, and they're still fairly plentiful.

I agree with Preyfar! u can find all lower lvl mats in Guild Store.
  • Azurephoenix999
    Azurephoenix999
    ✭✭✭✭✭

And as Nestor pointed out, most of those are excess mats people had saved up. Now that we can only get lower level mats from either daily writs, or purposefully making farming characters, the guild stores will run dry at some point.

Where will we get them then?
    Guildmaster of Spectral Liberty - Xbox One - European Megaserver
  • summitxho
    summitxho
    ✭✭✭
    I find the problem for me is I am running out of resources to do my writs daily. I have 3 characters, they all collect materials for my one and only crafter to do the writs each day. I have put 9/10 skill points in my crafter hoping to get some craglorn surveys and help find some nirncrux, problem is its getting really difficult to keep my nightwood, void cloth and void stone stocked up to complete these writs on a daily basis. Unless I am playing on my crafting character, I do not see them at all anymore. I could invest the skill points in the other characters (24 skill points each character) but I don't have them to go around right now, so its a bit of a personal set back. I could also go on farming runs with my crafter, but that's taking away from me actually enjoying the quests and getting resources as I do that. I loved to open that little box at the end of the writs, collect glass fragments and get lucky with gold tempering materials.

I liked the idea by another poster that once you are in the level for that particular resource, you can toggle to previous resource to go backwards if need be, just seems to make sense.
    Edited by summitxho on November 1, 2016 9:31PM
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    summitxho wrote: »
    I have put 9/10 skill points in my crafter hoping to get some craglorn surveys and help find some nirncrux, problem is ......

@summitxho

.....Survey Locations no longer have anything to do with where you drop the Writ off, or the level of Material you do the writ with.

So, basically, your using 3 times the mats for a chance to get a survey in any of 16 Zones in the game (maybe 17 if Coldharbor has survey locations, not sure never did equipment writs there)

• summitxho
    summitxho
    ✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    I have put 9/10 skill points in my crafter hoping to get some craglorn surveys and help find some nirncrux, problem is ......

@summitxho

.....Survey Locations no longer have anything to do with where you drop the Writ off, or the level of Material you do the writ with.

So, basically, your using 3 times the mats for a chance to get a survey in any of 16 Zones in the game (maybe 17 if Coldharbor has survey locations, not sure never did equipment writs there)

Well I am also going for the glass motif fragments and gold tempers, never did get any of those until I went into tier 9 writs (few gold tempers, no glass motif frags). Regardless, its created a problem for me unless I keep my writs at 1/10 or 10/10, if I am going for glass motif fragments 1/10 will not get me any from my previous experience, and 10/10 will use up even more resources.
    Edited by summitxho on November 1, 2016 10:05PM
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    and 10/10 will use up even more resources.

@summitxho

How? Your using 99 Mats for a Woodworker Survey at L9, and about 33 Mats for a Woodworker Survey at L10. You are asked to make 9 staves for an L9, you are asked to make 3 Staves for an L10. Similar amounts for all other crafting writs at L9 and L10 (other than that one pesky Blacksmith Writ that requires 46 Mats, but that is still less than half what an L9 asks for)

You use less mats at L10 for equipment writs. Always have since they removed the Void Tier from those Writs.

Just trying to save you some mats or farm time here.

Edited by Nestor on November 1, 2016 10:24PM

• summitxho
    summitxho
    ✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    and 10/10 will use up even more resources.

@summitxho

How? Your using 99 Mats for a Woodworker Survey at L9, and about 33 Mats for a Woodworker Survey at L10. You are asked to make 9 staves for an L9, you are asked to make 3 Staves for an L10. Similar amounts for all other crafting writs at L9 and L10 (other than that one pesky Blacksmith Writ that requires 46 Mats, but that is still less than half what an L9 asks for)

You use less mats at L10 for equipment writs. Always have since they removed the Void Tier from those Writs.

Just trying to save you some mats or farm time here.

I did not know that, thank you. I read some posts complaining about the mats required for tier 10 writs and how its not worth it and just assumed it would go up with each tier like they did with previous levels, but good to know for the future. Never actually gone to tier 10 yet. One thing I did notice, when deconstructing gear, I seem to only get 1 piece of tier 10 material. I never really paid attention before, but I could swear I got a lot more mats back deconstructing lower tier gear.
    Edited by summitxho on November 2, 2016 1:45AM
  • STEVIL
    STEVIL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

And as Nestor pointed out, most of those are excess mats people had saved up. Now that we can only get lower level mats from either daily writs, or purposefully making farming characters, the guild stores will run dry at some point.

Where will we get them then?

From characters at those levels cuz everyone gets drops casual harvests etc based on their levels.

If rubedite is flowing into the game more plentiful than the others it's because more characters are operating who are of levels which show they need rubedite.

Demand is determined by numbers of characters in operation at given levels and now so are resources.

That said, I have no prob allowing mats at vendors or dropping the lower cap on mats gear level. Both parallel the changes they implemented for enchants.

I expect one or more of these when they finish the 1T equipment changes by giving crafted equip the 1T beef up they gave drops.

But I just took char from 17 to 50/cap post 1T and frankly, crafting equip was a secondary issue. DID craft some pieces end of tier like at level 14 and 24 using mats casually harvested and deconned. BUT during play found it easier and better to swap in drop sets and even drop trash as the levels grew further from the last crafting. MADE no sense to stop and craft something obsolete by halfway up the tier. Drop sets and drop trash just so easy to advance with.

So I now have after one character ran thru, surplus mats in level 3-49 ranges. However. IT is unlikely my remaining two will be any different.

Proudly skooma free while talks-when-drunk is in mandatory public housing.
    YFMV Your Fun May Vary.

First Law of Nerf-o-Dynamics
    "The good way I used to get good kills *with good skill* was good but the way others kill me now is bad."