The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Age Restriction Question - ZeniMax Media Terms of Service

godivaz
godivaz
Soul Shriven
I used to think that in order to play ESO you have to be 18+, but then I reviewed Terms of Service, and it looks like if you opened your account with "your parent or guardian" you can be pretty much any age. Am I reading this correctly? Also, if you are lets say 15, does it mean the account has to be created by your parent/guardian in order to overcome age restriction? Thank you.

Quote "By using any ZeniMax Services, You affirm that (i) You are at least 18 years of age (or have reached the age of majority if that is not 18 years of age where You live) OR You have reviewed these Terms of Service with Your parent or guardian and he or she assents to these Terms of Service on Your behalf and takes full responsibility for Your compliance with them (You or Your parent or guardian assenting: “You” or “Your”) AND (ii) You are a legal resident of a country where Your access to and use of the applicable Services are permitted. You represent that You are fully able and competent to enter into the terms, conditions, and representations set forth in these Terms of Service, and You agree to abide by and comply with them."
  • sirston
    sirston
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know why your so scared about this you did state when you entered this website your 18 or older.....tbh this game only got a M rating due to the crazy amount of skulls and its Interaction with other players.
    Whitestakes Revenge
    WoodElf Mag-Warden
    Sirston
    Magickia Dragonknight

T0XIC
    Pride Of The Pact
    Vehemence
    The Crimson Order

victoria aut mors
  • godivaz
    godivaz
    Soul Shriven
    sirston wrote: »
    I don't know why your so scared about this you did state when you entered this website your 18 or older.....tbh this game only got a M rating due to the crazy amount of skulls and its Interaction with other players.

I don't know why you decided that I am scared. I am way above 18+

I realize that a lot of kids under 18 would just change their BOD while registering for the game, it is not like someone is asking for your ID. I just would like to know the legal aspect of "You are at least 18 years of age OR You have reviewed these Terms of Service with Your parent or guardian". Does it mean that ZeniMax allows people under 18 to register & play as long as they reviewed the agreement with their parents or guardians?
  • Yulriad
    Yulriad
    By law, a Minor (any person under the age of 18 in the U.S) cannot enter into a legal contract. Therefore, the "Parent or Guardian" must take the "Legal Responsibility" of that Minor. That's all the terms are stating in your quote.

Yes, ZOS allows players under the age of 18 as long as they have consent from their parent(s) or guardian.

• Judas Helviaryn
    Judas Helviaryn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It pretty much means exactly what it says. The purpose of this disclaimer is to absolve ZOS of any liability in the case the user either misuses the service they're providing, or is taken advantage of through the service they're providing. You must either be a legal adult in your local jurisdiction, or have a parent/guardian assume liability if you are under the legal age of adult responsibility.

Pretty much, it's protecting ZOS from being sued if any of the aforementioned problems occur.

Now, I'm personally curious as to why you're so interested in this particular section of the TOS if you are not under age. Are you planning on letting a minor under your custody play? Is there some other fixation with minors going on here?
    Edited by Judas Helviaryn on October 31, 2016 7:53PM
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are no game police in the US.

First, Age Ratings, at least in the US, are pretty much meaningless to anyone who does not shop at Walmart for games. They are a guide line to the appropriateness of the content. I have never heard of anyone getting prosecuted for playing a Mature game while being a teen. These are in place for the parents to determine if their child can handle the content and themes. Much like a PG-13 movie is, its a guideline. Some retailers, like Walmart, wont' sell games that are listed as Mature, but then again, I have seen this game on the Shelves at Walmart, so that does not seem to be an issue for them. Maybe it's Adult Only that does not get sold by Walmart but you would think 18+ would be just that. Maybe they don't sell it to kids, maybe it all depends on the cashier and how much they want to impose the restrictions on the buyers.

Other countries may have tighter restrictions and care more about this kind of rating thing. I would imagine, and this is my opinion, that the restrictions are in place more so that the busy bodies who know what is best for us and seek to impose their views regarding entertainment on us can't complain that ZOS just sells this game to anyone who can operate a gaming machine. Perhaps the countries that care about this can limit access based on age.

In other words, if your a parent, pay attention to your children and the games they play and entertainment they enjoy and openly and freely discuss any concerns you may have about the content with them. Take appropriate steps as a parent to raise your children in the environment you want to raise them in while paying attention to them. I think they will turn out OK given all that, no matter what game they play, mostly because you are paying attention to them.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• godivaz
    godivaz
    Soul Shriven
    It pretty much means exactly what it says. The purpose of this disclaimer is to absolve ZOS of any liability in the case the user either misuses the service they're providing, or is taken advantage of through the service they're providing. You must either be a legal adult in your local jurisdiction, or have a parent/guardian assume liability if you are under the legal age of adult responsibility.

Pretty much, it's protecting ZOS from being sued if any of the aforementioned problems occur.

Now, I'm personally curious as to why you're so interested in this particular section of the TOS if you are not under age. Are you planning on letting a minor under your custody play? Is there some other fixation with minors going on here?

I was a great response until "Is there some other fixation with minors going on here?" Seriously? The way you phrased it sounds just strange.
  • godivaz
    godivaz
    Soul Shriven
    Nestor wrote: »
    There are no game police in the US.

First, Age Ratings, at least in the US, are pretty much meaningless to anyone who does not shop at Walmart for games. They are a guide line to the appropriateness of the content. I have never heard of anyone getting prosecuted for playing a Mature game while being a teen. These are in place for the parents to determine if their child can handle the content and themes. Much like a PG-13 movie is, its a guideline. Some retailers, like Walmart, wont' sell games that are listed as Mature, but then again, I have seen this game on the Shelves at Walmart, so that does not seem to be an issue for them. Maybe it's Adult Only that does not get sold by Walmart but you would think 18+ would be just that. Maybe they don't sell it to kids, maybe it all depends on the cashier and how much they want to impose the restrictions on the buyers.

Other countries may have tighter restrictions and care more about this kind of rating thing. I would imagine, and this is my opinion, that the restrictions are in place more so that the busy bodies who know what is best for us and seek to impose their views regarding entertainment on us can't complain that ZOS just sells this game to anyone who can operate a gaming machine. Perhaps the countries that care about this can limit access based on age.

In other words, if your a parent, pay attention to your children and the games they play and entertainment they enjoy and openly and freely discuss any concerns you may have about the content with them. Take appropriate steps as a parent to raise your children in the environment you want to raise them in while paying attention to them. I think they will turn out OK given all that, no matter what game they play, mostly because you are paying attention to them.

Thank you very much for your response!
  • Judas Helviaryn
    Judas Helviaryn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    godivaz wrote: »

I was a great response until "Is there some other fixation with minors going on here?" Seriously? The way you phrased it sounds just strange.

That's why I prefaced it with "Are you planning on letting a minor under your custody play?". There are no assumptions here, just honest curiosity. It's odd to see an adult focus on a part of the TOS that doesn't apply to them, unless they're a legal guardian, or looking to get someone they suspect to be a minor removed from the game.

I'm not meaning anything else by it, just leaving the question open. =)
  • Acrolas
    Acrolas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    sirston wrote: »
    tbh this game only got a M rating due to the crazy amount of skulls and its Interaction with other players.

Player interactions are not rated by the ESRB.
    ESRB rates titles based on content disclosures (questionnaire and visual media) presented by the developer. So it received a Mature rating based off of what ZOS presented to them.
    signing off
  • godivaz
    godivaz
    Soul Shriven
    godivaz wrote: »

That's why I prefaced it with "Are you planning on letting a minor under your custody play?". There are no assumptions here, just honest curiosity. It's odd to see an adult focus on a part of the TOS that doesn't apply to them, unless they're a legal guardian, or looking to get someone they suspect to be a minor removed from the game.

I'm not meaning anything else by it, just leaving the question open. =)
    OK, let's shrug it off then. There are few things that disgust me, and this combination of words fixation + minors really brings just negative connotation. I do not have any children, but my friends do. Some of them are not in US, and we had a discussion about game ratings and rules/regulations. It was the point when I reviewed the agreement. I hope I satisfied your curiosity. Now I have the knowledge to satisfy my friends' concerns. Thank you.
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    In the UK, for example, PEGI and BBFC ratings are legally enforceable, but only at point of sale. Once the game is sold, it's up to the new owner what they do with it, as they have taken on the legal responsibility. ZOS' ToS are ensuring the same thing - that someone who is able to take legal responsibility has done so.
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp