The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

What are crown crates? And why all the fuss, are they P2W?

Wrecking_Blow_Spam
Wrecking_Blow_Spam
✭✭✭✭✭
So can someone enlighten me please.
Edited by Wrecking_Blow_Spam on October 31, 2016 2:08PM
Xbox one EU
8 Flawless conquerors on all class specs (4 stam, 4 magicka)
Doesn't stand in red

Best Answer

• Snit
    Snit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We don't know if they're Pay-to-Win, Pay-to-Whine or whatever. The versions they previewed on the test server were more the latter, with the nice items having extremely low drop rates. These were cosmetics, however, such as mounts, so they didn't appear to threaten game balance. The feedback was very negative, and ZOS pulled them for a rework.

Every F2P gets gambleboxes eventually. I wouldn't get upset about them until we learn how ZOS handles them in live. Given their history with this game, I would be shocked if it turned into an Archeage/ NWO/ Black Desert pay-to-win situation. It'll be about cosmetics and utility items, not raid drops.
    Snit AD Sorc
    Ratbag AD Warden Tank
    Goblins AD Stamblade

Answer ✓
  • Dymence
    Dymence
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Purely cosmetic for as far as we have seen.

The thing you could complain about at most is that you can get 150% xp boost scrolls from them, which isn't P2W but pay to level faster.

The fuss is about how much money you have to sink into them to get the highest tier drops, and that they're built to milk the customer to the max.
  • Wrecking_Blow_Spam
    Wrecking_Blow_Spam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok thanks for the info, doesn't affect me much then.

With people threatening to quit the game over it, I thought it was worse than that.
    Xbox one EU
    8 Flawless conquerors on all class specs (4 stam, 4 magicka)
    Doesn't stand in red
  • BuddyAces
    BuddyAces
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Read through the other threads. All the info is there. They are horrible.
    They nerfed magsorcs so hard stamsorcs felt it,lol - Somber97866

I'm blown away by the utter stupidity I see here on the daily. - Wrekkedd
  • Enslaved
    Enslaved
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Crown crates are pay - to - make - Zos - implement - pay - to - win - at - some - point - in - the - future - or - so - we - fear. I think this name should make any Saxhleel blush.
  • Abeille
    Abeille
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll be short because this was already explained on detail on the other threads about the subject.

They make a lot of money with minimum investment when compared to actual content like DLC.

With time, the company makes them their main source of money. The development of content slows down. The development of more things to put in the crates takes priority. The games goes Free-to-Play. The crates become the only source of money. There is little to no new content, players leave. Game dies in a couple of years.

Happened to many games before this one (ZOS even hired the same person who did this in other games). It is just the kind of thing RNG crates are for. A last ditch effort to make as much money as possible before you turn the lights off.
    Edited by Abeille on October 31, 2016 2:39PM
    Just so that everyone knows, my Altmer still can't have black hair. About a dozen of Altmer NPCs in the game have black hair. Just saying.

Meet my characters:
    Command: Do the thing.

Zadarri, Khajiit Fist of Thalmor: The thing was done, as commanded.
    Durza gra-Maghul, Orc blacksmith: The thing was done perfectly, in the most efficient way.
    Tegwen, Bosmer troublemaker: You can't prove I didn't do the thing.
    Sings-Many-Songs, Argonian fisher: Sure, I'll do the thing... Eventually. Maybe.
    Aerindel, Altmer stormcaller: After extensive research, I've come to the conclusion that doing the thing would be a waste of resources.
    Liliel, Dunmer pyromancer: Aerindel said I shouldn't do the thing. Something about "resources".
    Gyda Snowcaller, Nord cryomancer: I will find a way to do it that won't waste resources and make Aerindel proud of me.
    Beatrice Leoriane, Breton vampire: I persuaded someone else into doing the thing. You are welcome, dear.
    Sahima, Redguard performer: Doing the thing sounds awfully unpleasant and really not my problem.
    Ellaria Valerius, Imperial priestess: I'll pray to the Eight for the thing to be done, if it is Their will.
  • BuddyAces
    BuddyAces
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Abeille wrote: »
    I'll be short because this was already explained on detail on the other threads about the subject.

They make a lot of money with minimum investment when compared to actual content like DLC.

With time, the company makes them their main source of money. The development of content slows down. The development of more things to put in the crates takes priority. The games goes Free-to-Play. The crates become the only source of money. There is little to no new content, players leave. Game dies in a couple of years.

Happened to many games before this one (ZOS even hired the same person who did this in other games). It is just the kind of thing RNG crates are for. A last ditch effort to make as much money as possible before you turn the lights off.

It's like, you and I have seen all this before. *Mind boggled*

On an unrelated note, anyone know why it takes forever to actually log into character select screen after a patch?

• nine9six
    nine9six
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would be one thing if they didn't REMOVE ITEMS FROM THE CROWN STORE TO FUNNEL INTO THEM.

Return the *** Ashlander Pack. Thank you!
    Wake up, we're here. Why are you shaking? Are you ok? Wake up...
  • Agobi
    Agobi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    These boxes will end up with P2W...

Feel free to bookmark this post so you can pull it up the day it happens....since I won't be here then :D
    Edited by Agobi on October 31, 2016 2:55PM
  • ComboBreaker88
    ComboBreaker88
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You're joking righy? YOU do realize the game has had 3 dlc zones added since it went F2P compared its 1 when it's was P2P. Not to mention the FREE 1 tameriel update. So thats 4 since the game went F2P. THIS is a business (capitalism is a concept most gamers simply don't seem to understand for some reason.) They NEED to make money to continue making content. They more money they make = the more content that can be produced. And yeah they want to be paid for their work. I doubt you would continue showing up to work if they stopped paying you a good wage. As far as them making a last ditch effort to make money, have you seen their profit margin? The game is doing very well. It's not going anywhere for a long time. I wouldn't be surprised if it surpassed W.O.W. it's a great game and each update has made it better and better. Also many of you seem to not realize this, but you can buy ANYTHING in the store buy simply generating a ticket and requesting said item. If your account has enough to buy that item outright they will exchange it for you. CRATES are a CHANCE to get items at a cheap price. SO quit being a bunch of whinny ******* and do a little research before you start acting like this is going to ruin a game which would do perfectly well if EVERYBODY in the forums quit today and never came back. There are hundreds of thousands of players online, the forum is filled with only a very small fraction of the population.
  • ComboBreaker88
    ComboBreaker88
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also who needs paragraphs or punctuation. Lol. On my phone. Suffer through it.
  • BuddyAces
    BuddyAces
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edit:
    My quoting skillz failed me. Crates are bad, that is all.
    Edited by BuddyAces on October 31, 2016 3:19PM

• FLuFFyxMuFFiN
    FLuFFyxMuFFiN
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Eh I'll believe it when I see it. No need to get stressed over what may or may never happen. As of right now the content is being released at a good rate and I haven't seen a reason to worry since all the crate items are cosmetics. Sure I would rather they just put the items in the store for individual purchase but I don't think they will change their minds on this.
  • Abeille
    Abeille
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You're joking righy? YOU do realize the game has had 3 dlc zones added since it went F2P compared its 1 when it's was P2P. Not to mention the FREE 1 tameriel update. So thats 4 since the game went F2P. THIS is a business (capitalism is a concept most gamers simply don't seem to understand for some reason.) They NEED to make money to continue making content. They more money they make = the more content that can be produced. And yeah they want to be paid for their work. I doubt you would continue showing up to work if they stopped paying you a good wage. As far as them making a last ditch effort to make money, have you seen their profit margin? The game is doing very well. It's not going anywhere for a long time. I wouldn't be surprised if it surpassed W.O.W. it's a great game and each update has made it better and better. Also many of you seem to not realize this, but you can buy ANYTHING in the store buy simply generating a ticket and requesting said item. If your account has enough to buy that item outright they will exchange it for you. CRATES are a CHANCE to get items at a cheap price. SO quit being a bunch of whinny ******* and do a little research before you start acting like this is going to ruin a game which would do perfectly well if EVERYBODY in the forums quit today and never came back. There are hundreds of thousands of players online, the forum is filled with only a very small fraction of the population.

Okay, let's tackle this by parts.

1 - The game is Buy to Play, not Free to Play. There is still an initial purchase to the game, and this makes all the difference in the world, especially if you are used to actual Free to Play games.

2 - The zones released after the game went Buy to Play (maybe with the exception of the Gold Coast, I don't remember when it was announced for the first time) were in production before they dropped the subscription. Some of the DLCs that were announced before the game went Buy to Play were not released or even announced as "still coming, totally wasn't scrapped" yet.

3 - Wait. They are either making money now, without the crates, or they are not. Pick one. Let's not pretend the Crown Crates are needed for them to make money, because if you believe that's the case, then by saying they are making loads of money already you are contradicting yourself.

4 - What reason do you have to believe this game won't follow all the ones that were killed by these? Or do you know a single game that added this kind of RNG boxes and got better? I would love you to point me one, just one. I saw this before in many other games, with the same person, and I have no reason to believe it will be any different with ESO.

5 - About one third of the collectibles in the crates were exclusive to them on the PTS. That means you can't buy them in the Crown Store directly like you claim. And why do you think you can open a ticket to get ZOS to sell you said exclusives?

6 - Heh. The age old excuse "This sample does not represent the player base's general feelings!" people pull when the general opinion does not conform with their own.

7 - I not only did my research, I played the games that were killed by those things. By this person. Did you?
    Eh I'll believe it when I see it. No need to get stressed over what may or may never happen. As of right now the content is being released at a good rate and I haven't seen a reason to worry since all the crate items are cosmetics. Sure I would rather they just put the items in the store for individual purchase but I don't think they will change their minds on this.

If we wait to speak up until the damage is done, it will be too late.
    Even if it changes nothing in the end, I prefer knowing that I did what I could than watch it happening again silently. I used to be like this, to say "It's okay, it will be different this time, this game will be different, this company will be different". But they never are.
    Edited by Abeille on October 31, 2016 7:24PM
    Just so that everyone knows, my Altmer still can't have black hair. About a dozen of Altmer NPCs in the game have black hair. Just saying.

Meet my characters:

Durza gra-Maghul, Orc blacksmith: The thing was done perfectly, in the most efficient way.
    Sings-Many-Songs, Argonian fisher: Sure, I'll do the thing... Eventually. Maybe.
    Aerindel, Altmer stormcaller: After extensive research, I've come to the conclusion that doing the thing would be a waste of resources.
    Liliel, Dunmer pyromancer: Aerindel said I shouldn't do the thing. Something about "resources".
    Gyda Snowcaller, Nord cryomancer: I will find a way to do it that won't waste resources and make Aerindel proud of me.
    Beatrice Leoriane, Breton vampire: I persuaded someone else into doing the thing. You are welcome, dear.
    Sahima, Redguard performer: Doing the thing sounds awfully unpleasant and really not my problem.
    Ellaria Valerius, Imperial priestess: I'll pray to the Eight for the thing to be done, if it is Their will.
  • driosketch
    driosketch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    There are two issues, the power creep between real money consumables vs in game crafted ones, and the general respect ZOS has for their regular customers.

On the PTS crown crates featured at least 2 exp scrolls stronger than what you could craft in game. They also made some potions and foods stronger after feedback that they were largely worthless junk compared to crafted items. Initial response fron ZOS is that they might make the consumables stronger than crafted, but also introduce new in game recipes. Basically, ZOS is willing to unbalance things with a new in game grind vs real money consumables arms race for the sake of adding artificial value to gamble boxes.

A lot of the times you'll see complaints about a 4000 crown mount or subscription tied craft bags, ect, and these are strictly about the cost. This time however, a lot of the complaints are also from ZOS's regular customers, continous subscribers and players buying those limited time items or personal banker ect. If you plan to ignore crown crates, but you also generally don't buy things out of the store, your net effect on the game as a consumer is unchanged. The concern of the regular customers is that crown crates are just an attempt to milk them for as much money as possible, and everything new or cool is going into crates which provide less value for money spent. Essentially crown crates are just whale bait, at the expense of many regulars, and it doesn't speak well to the long term future for ESO.
    Main: Drio Azul ~ DC, Redguard, Healer/Magicka Templar ~ NA-PC
    ●The Psijic Order●The Sidekick Order●Great House Hlaalu●Bal-Busters●
  • Wow
    Wow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't sweep it under the rug about the fact that there are going to be powerful consumables coming in Crown crates, 3 times more powerful than Psijic Ambrossia
    I'm a Godot Engine and GameMaker enthusiast from the most populated island on earth, Java, Indonesia. Coffee is my staple fuel, and durian is my favourite fruit. I'm currently building a Godot Community site.
  • Coatmagic
    Coatmagic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't care about one way or t'other 'bout these boxes (although I would really like the wizard hat),
    but seriously, what on earth could ZoS put in them that would make them P2W? And win what exactly...?
    Seriously, think about what you're implying and really think about how differently people play this game...
    win what, and for whom...?
    Edited by Coatmagic on October 31, 2016 4:51PM
  • Suter1972
    Suter1972
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wow wrote: »
    Don't sweep it under the rug about the fact that there are going to be powerful consumables coming in Crown crates, 3 times more powerful than Psijic Ambrossia

Based on what? PTS? isn't that by definition a TEST server to see how things go? Are you saying that everything that goes on PTS makes it into the game?

Truth is, no-one really knows whats going in the crates until they arrive. Ive never known an MMO without something similar.

One things for sure... it sure is a salty subject
    Was - Breton DC ( GIRL - Guy In Real Life toon) Magika Templar Healer/ 5-8 trait Crafter - currently CP290 and learning now starting again on xbox…...

xbox suter1972 - Character name - Hota Woskeef

Xbox EU ESO+ Mature (40+) UK casual gamer
  • Abeille
    Abeille
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Suter1972 wrote: »
    Wow wrote: »

Based on what? PTS? isn't that by definition a TEST server to see how things go? Are you saying that everything that goes on PTS makes it into the game?

Truth is, no-one really knows whats going in the crates until they arrive. Ive never known an MMO without something similar.

One things for sure... it sure is a salty subject

Do you usually participate on PTS testing?

Almost everything that goes in the PTS makes it to live, with minimal if any changes at all.

Again, if you wait for them to arrive, it will be too late. Better to speak up, saying exactly what you do not want ZOS to do with them and why, than wait until the deed is done. There are ways to make them at least more consumer friendly.

Meet my characters:

• summitxho
    summitxho
    ✭✭✭
    its the same people complaining about these in every thread, just a very passionate bunch is all. It either comes down to being against gambling, or being upset some cosmetic items are locked behind a gambling mechanic. Both have points as per their play style and how they enjoy the game, but it also sort of stinks of entitlement mentality, some people you just cannot make happy, that's life. The mentality that because I choose not to participate in something against my beliefs, you should not be able to take the chance to get it either I think is wrong, I more believe in freedom of choice. if I want to spend my worthless to me crowns on a fun short lived gimmick, well I worked hard to be able to make that choice, but to these people I am an idiot, kind of shows where the mentality is..... If people are threatening to quit over such a thing, I have a feeling they would leave the game over something eventually.

Once they are implemented, I will be very curious to see where this game goes, as for now I have faith in ZOS to run its business not the way one group wants it run, but to make money and keep rolling out new content. We will see.
    Edited by summitxho on October 31, 2016 5:11PM
  • Acrolas
    Acrolas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The fuss is that ZOS has no absolutely idea how to successfully monetize itself long-term. So for the past 2+ years it's been phase after phase of randomly trying stuff and seeing if it sticks.

Twitter just killed off Vine and laid off a lot of people because Twitter has no idea how to successfully monetize itself long-term. So it's a pretty serious issue if left unaddressed thinking it'll just correct itself.

If ZOS can't successfully monetize consoles by this time next year, they're probably going to seriously consider shutting down the least profitable platform. There's no point in having three times the overhead if you need to take money from the top third to keep the bottom third solvent.

Those are the stakes. Crown Crates aren't a miracle cure. ZOS needs to stop resting on their laurels and find out how to best monetize each platform. Because they're all different. It's not a B2P or P2P or P2W issue. It's a ZOS needs to start being a lot more transparent about its financial goals and respect our intelligence instead of just treating us like slot machine monkeys.
    signing off
  • Callous2208
    Callous2208
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    summitxho wrote: »
    its the same people complaining about these in every thread, just a very passionate bunch is all. It either comes down to being against gambling, or being upset some cosmetic items are locked behind a gambling mechanic. Both have points as per their play style and how they enjoy the game, but it also sort of stinks of entitlement mentality, some people you just cannot make happy, that's life. The mentality that because I choose not to participate in something against my beliefs, you should not be able to take the chance to get it either I think is wrong, where I more believe in freedom of choice, if I want to spend crowns on a fun short lived gimmick, I worked hard to be able to make that choice. If people are threatening to quit over such a thing, I have a feeling they would leave the game over something eventually.

Once they are implemented, I will be very curious to see where this game goes, as for now I have faith in ZOS to run its business not the way one group wants it run, but to make money and keep rolling out new content. We will see.

If they succeed, they will be the first MMO to maintain a quality product after implementation of such systems. It will be interesting to see indeed. History would seem to show that it can't be done, or perhaps will not be done. These are businesses after all, and it is by far easier and more profitable to run a skinner box/gambling system, than it is to produce and maintain a fine product.
  • summitxho
    summitxho
    ✭✭✭
    If they succeed, they will be the first MMO to maintain a quality product after implementation of such systems. It will be interesting to see indeed. History would seem to show that it can't be done, or perhaps will not be done. These are businesses after all, and it is by far easier and more profitable to run a skinner box/gambling system, than it is to produce and maintain a fine product.

Very true, but we would be living in a very different world if we all gave up where others failed, one persons failure is another persons success, that has driven human innovation. So far I have seen these crates implemented in a way that suggests they are taking some of these past failures into consideration, avoiding the pay to win, to me that's a good sign. Will it change in the future? Perhaps, but I am not one to make a prediction based on other companies failings. I take a wait and see approach as I like to work from facts, but I like to think they have some smart experienced people making the calls on an MMO this size, that would be smart for profits and business after all which is why they made the game to begin with. Part of business is to learn from past mistakes, improve and try again if there is a potential for a return, a smart business does not put all revenue generation in one basket, if this is where they felt they could make an improvement over the long term profitability, I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt until I see otherwise, not from other MMO's, but from ESO itself.

In business you always have people telling you how you should run it, listen to them, but as the business owner you should know how to run it best and not be afraid to ruffle some feathers as you will never appease everyone. If they fail in showing me they can run this thing over a long term by making smart business decisions then its not going to be crates that does it in, but in mismanagement as a whole.

• BuddyAces
    BuddyAces
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Very true, but we would be living in a very different world if we all gave up where others failed, one persons failure is another persons success, that has driven human innovation. So far I have seen these crates implemented in a way that suggests they are taking some of these past failures into consideration, avoiding the pay to win, to me that's a good sign. Will it change in the future? Perhaps, but I am not one to make a prediction based on other companies failings. I take a wait and see approach as I like to work from facts, but I like to think they have some smart experienced people making the calls on an MMO this size, that would be smart for profits and business after all which is why they made the game to begin with. Part of business is to learn from past mistakes, improve and try again if there is a potential for a return, a smart business does not put all revenue generation in one basket, if this is where they felt they could make an improvement over the long term profitability, I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt until I see otherwise, not from other MMO's, but from ESO itself.

In business you always have people telling you how you should run it, listen to them, but as the business owner you should know how to run it best and not be afraid to ruffle some feathers as you will never appease everyone. If they fail in showing me they can run this thing over a long term by making smart business decisions then its not going to be crates that does it in, but in mismanagement as a whole.

Hitting yourself on the head 25 times with a hammer and then passing the hammer to someone else and hoping that the next blow won't hurt....that's where everyone who has played a game(s) that has introduced these ridiculous things are at. We know what's coming because we've been through it before. Every game had people like you saying the same stuff "Well hopefully this company is better than that and they know what they are doing because 'X' reason." It always ends the same. A-L-W-A-Y-S.

• summitxho
    summitxho
    ✭✭✭
    BuddyAces wrote: »

Hitting yourself on the head 25 times with a hammer and then passing the hammer to someone else and hoping that the next blow won't hurt....that's where everyone who has played a game(s) that has introduced these ridiculous things are at. We know what's coming because we've been through it before. Every game had people like you saying the same stuff "Well hopefully this company is better than that and they know what they are doing because 'X' reason." It always ends the same. A-L-W-A-Y-S.

Sorry, but fear mongering does not work with me, maybe others.... How on earth having worthless to me crowns and wanting to spend a few on a brief exciting unknown is like hitting myself on the head with a hammer? Wow.... that's some drama right there!
  • Magus
    Magus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's basically abusing the player base. That's the only word I can think of to describe it, abuse.

So right now, the current model is put out stuff and put a limited tag on it, it's expensive items. People buy specific things they want.

The new model will likely be, put all the great new cosmetic items into the crown crates. If you want say the atronach mount, you would have to buy crown crates. Then it's a RNG to get what you want. If you are really lucky, you get it. If not, then you will be given crown jewels if the RNG gives you something you already have in your collection. If you don't already have a large collection, you will likely have to spend hundreds of dollars to be able to get one specific item that you want hidden behind the crown crates. Hopefully, they will still release quality cosmetic items outside of the crown crates but the crown crates themselves are abuse and will actually provide real life damage to people with addiction and gambling problems. It's predatory and gross. It's a bad new model to follow.

Edit: aside from my rant, to answer your question, no they are not P2W. Also, forgot to mention you will get trolled and be given useless potions and things that aren't even collectables for your collection.
    Edited by Magus on October 31, 2016 6:24PM
    Duraeon / Maoh
    Former Emperor of Haderus, Trueflame, and Azura's Star
    PC/NA
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I am all for criticizing ZOS for things they did wrong, but man, bashing them for things they didn't do yet, that's a step too far IMHO.
  • Tavore1138
    Tavore1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

They have had more DLC since going B2P simply because they held content back until they were in a model where they could charge for DLC instead of releasing it 'for free' in a P2P system.

One Tamriel is basically server reduction plan while removing leveling and potentially making the game less friendly to new players - i.e. you can go everywhere and face CP160 mobs with your three un-levelled skills while having CP561 players harvest all your nodes and challenge you to duels. Not that welcoming.

I think people put the horse before the cart on gamble boxes - they assume the member of staff in question is an epic fail who destroys games by bringing in gamble boxes... but no-one would employ that person... the likelihood is that this person is bought in at a high wage as an acknowledged expert in milking maximum money from the player base of a game who's makers have given up on making it a lasting success... perspective is important...
    GM - Malazan
    Raid Leader - Hungry Wolves
    Legio Mortuum
  • BuddyAces
    BuddyAces
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sharee wrote: »

I am all for criticizing ZOS for things they did wrong, but man, bashing them for things they didn't do yet, that's a step too far IMHO.

It needs to be repeated until everyone realizes that NOT one single game in the history of gaming, NOT ONE, has ever been able to do these kind of crates and not have their game fail. Not one. There is an undeniable pattern to this boxes that they destroy games. Every. Single. Time.

That's why we pop up in these threads. It has nothing to do with gambling (that's a beef with another subset of players), wanting what others have, or being a whiner. We like this game, we don't want it to go down the road that ALL the other games that have done this have.

• driosketch
    driosketch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    its the same people complaining about these in every thread, just a very passionate bunch is all. It either comes down to being against gambling, or being upset some cosmetic items are locked behind a gambling mechanic. Both have points as per their play style and how they enjoy the game, but it also sort of stinks of entitlement mentality, some people you just cannot make happy, that's life. The mentality that because I choose not to participate in something against my beliefs, you should not be able to take the chance to get it either I think is wrong, I more believe in freedom of choice. if I want to spend my worthless to me crowns on a fun short lived gimmick, well I worked hard to be able to make that choice, but to these people I am an idiot, kind of shows where the mentality is..... If people are threatening to quit over such a thing, I have a feeling they would leave the game over something eventually.

You make some sweeping generalizations here. I followed the main feed back thread. These weren't whiny entiled players. These were regular subscribers. They were serious RPers, big market for cosmetics. These were players who get excited over the crown store showcase every month. They were members with community ambassador avatars. Players hand selected to test a pilot crown gifting program. Players who have been here since beta. Basically ZOS's best or most loyal customers, and they were pretty much universally against crown crates.

Obviously the majority of these players aren't going to quit over creates, but there's more grumbling in this section of the player base than usual. It's risking good customers for possible short term gains.
    Main: Drio Azul ~ DC, Redguard, Healer/Magicka Templar ~ NA-PC
    ●The Psijic Order●The Sidekick Order●Great House Hlaalu●Bal-Busters●