The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Stam VS Mag sorcs in VMA...

Frozenmosquito
I have 3 toons - a SS, Magsorc, and a templar. I have done VMA on both sorcs and after finally just clearing it on my magsorc, I can say with complete honesty that it was a lot easier as well as enjoyable on my magsorc. To be fair it felt like a waste doing it for so long on my SS after realising how easy it was on the other guy, even though I did main the SS for a long time and did not play on the magsorc at all.

With overload, critsurge and hardened, it is insane how much damage you put out on all boss rounds as well as some ad rounds. For example arena 7, I went into a flower just to see how much I would survive - and it was laughable. After being bullshitted so many times on my stamguy being under an aura during the scream phase, a flower would pop right under me countering all the mechanics and making a flawless run literally impossible due to dumb game design. With a shield however the flowers are nothing more than a nuisance, like a little piece of dry dog deuce on the street - which you would prefer not to step on but if you accidentally did, it would not really be anything more than a tiny inconvenience to your day. Arena 3 much easier for range, arena 4 insane nuke on boss during first walkaround, arena 5 easy for range, 7 I mentioned, 8 boss round? Please. 9 also incredibly easy - cremguards melt, pop a hardened and stand infront of him, even without hardened u can prob survive with surge due to the burst (without OL), round 5 pop OL for titan & bossround pop OL for balcony & after.

As for gear, I would say that it is easier even in that aspect for a magicka sorc to go in there, but in reality thats just preference. While 5x VO helps a ton for stamguys and is a pain to get, 5x Elegant with weapons does a lot for magsorcs in retrospect. But even here elegant weapons as well as armor (to my belief) can still be bought from traders, while VO can not.

My setups; SS - 2x velidreth, 5x hundings with weapons in sharp, 5x VO. Mostly gold. First clear at 352CP. Magsorc 2x illambris 5x julianos 5x elegant with decisive & charged swords. First clear just recently at 450CP after attempting it for the first time. Have been running on SS steadily tho throughout the recent champ points.

So why have people still been telling me all this time that it is easier on a stamsorc I dont know, but after finally doing it on both, I do not personally agree :smiley:

thoughts plz
please nerf writs
  • LeeroyGankins
    LeeroyGankins
    ✭✭
    Oh no , I just re rolled my mag to stam
  • Jaronking
    Jaronking
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Am use to Stam class compared to magic so doing VMA on any Stam class been easier for me be it stam sorc or stam blade .When I did it on my magblade it was just so slow and took so long compare to my other classes took about a day and half on my magblade one of the easiest class to do it on and 2 hours on my Stan sorc for my first run.Am taking my Stamdk in tomorrow to see how I do with that.Generally its what your more comfortable with for me its stamclasses for you and others its magic.
  • Elara_Northwind
    Elara_Northwind
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I completely agree. I main magicka templar and struggled at first in vma, and had not played my magicka sorcerer for almost a year. I went in there with her and didn't even die until round 7, first try on her, after not really playing her for a year :lol: it was SO much easier in there on magicka sorcerer.
    Sorcerer, Templar, Wolf Collector, Housing Addict!

GM of Salted Wings Tavern and Salted Wings Housing 🏠🌻

'A House is Built with Boards and Beams, a Home is Built with Love and Dreams'

Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/c/ElaraNorthwind
  • shezof
    shezof
    ✭✭✭
    actually stam sorc is better
  • FriedEggSandwich
    FriedEggSandwich
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think stam sorc has potentially higher dps leading to potentially higher scores, but you have to work for it and ranged dps is always more civilised. Elegant + overload were made for each other and vma. The hardest part for a magsorc is just remaining snare free really. A poison bulb exploding while under the protection of an argonian minder is still a problem for a magsorc though, just maybe not as much of a problem as it is for SS; it will spoil a high score attempt at the very least because your dps suffers when you have to spam ward. I guess what I want to clarify is that magsorcs still have to follow mechanics if they want to score well, even if they seem to have more room for error.
    PC | EU
  • Unsent.Soul
    Unsent.Soul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @OP what was the specific gear set up? I've 2x ilambris, 5x TBS, and was thinking 3x willpower (random staves). With 5/5/2 I'm curious how you managed that.

Been a long day, thinking cap needs repaired.
  • Bobby_V_Rockit
    Bobby_V_Rockit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm yet to run it. I cant get past stage 2 of round one. But I am a vampire SS, so that probably doesnt help
  • FriedEggSandwich
    FriedEggSandwich
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm yet to run it. I cant get past stage 2 of round one. But I am a vampire SS, so that probably doesnt help

I'm a stage 4 vamp with 15.8k hp and it's possible to complete it with a decent score. I don't even need my ward for about 70% of the time; power surge + 2 stacked dots + 65% crit = very reliable heals.
    PC | EU
  • Frozenmosquito
    @OP what was the specific gear set up? I've 2x ilambris, 5x TBS, and was thinking 3x willpower (random staves). With 5/5/2 I'm curious how you managed that.

Been a long day, thinking cap needs repaired.

Twiceborn shines with group/raid buffs, for solo content I wouldnt use it. I use julianos 5x and its perfect. Steady SP boost with illambris makes the adds go down fast, random staves also in sharp.

I would drop vamp if you are struggling on the stages. On the other hand I have never felt the want for being vamp or werewolf on my SS especially, due to sustain being not too hard to manage and the ultimates all being good. Dawnbreaker of smiting on frontbar for the stun, and overload on backbar for caltrops and darkdeal etc.
    please nerf writs
  • mb10
    mb10
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    As a mag dk dps, i prefer to work with a mag sorc.

Our synergies work well with each other
  • Reorx_Holybeard
    Reorx_Holybeard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...For example arena 7, I went into a flower just to see how much I would survive - and it was laughable. After being bullshitted so many times on my stamguy being under an aura during the scream phase, a flower would pop right under me countering all the mechanics and making a flawless run literally impossible due to dumb game design. With a shield however the flowers are nothing more than a nuisance, like a little piece of dry dog deuce on the street - which you would prefer not to step on but if you accidentally did, it would not really be anything more than a tiny inconvenience to your day. ...

This was the first thing I noticed when I started doing vMA on my Stamina Sorc. Having done it previously with my Magplar if I hit a flower I just shield/heal up and make my way to the green circle at my leisure (ok, maybe a little faster). So long as I get there within 10-15 seconds it is not difficult to survive.

The first time I hit a flower on my Stam Sorc...I started running towards the cure area and died after 1 second. After a few deaths I realized I really only had 2 seconds of survival time after hitting a flower. Basically, unless I was right next to the cure area there was no chance at surviving.

I've tried it a few times with my Mag Sorc but haven't done very well. Overload does make some stages easier but I find it more of a crutch to rely on it too much...you use up all your ultimate trying to kill a boss or get through a stage but die and now you have no ultimate left and are "stuck" doing it the hard way. That and I don't play my Mag Sorc much so the rotation is not very comfortable.

Reorx Holybeard -- NA/PC
    Founder/Admin of www.uesp.net -- UESP ESO Guilds
    Creator of the "Best" ESO Build Editor
    I'm on a quest to build the world's toughest USB drive!
  • Masel
    Masel
    Class Representative
    I find it much easier on my magsorc, overload is just easy mode. Add 5 aether and a vMA lightning staff and leftclick your way through it to the leaderboards (534k score this week).
    PC EU

All Trial Trifecta Titles Done!

Youtube:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChVEG6ckuAgGs5OyA6VeisA
  • Markdechene1
    Markdechene1
    ✭✭✭
    Haven't run it on my my sorc in ages, just out of interest where's everyone popping their red tree cp these days. I think I have 100 into bastion but wondering if that's a waste because of the reduced shield times (yeah it's been that long!)
  • Masel
    Masel
    Class Representative
    I put the points evenly between thick skinned, elemental defender and Hardy, end then 30 into bastion, shield is strong enough with that.
    PC EU

Youtube:
  • Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stam sorc is amazing in vMA. Not like they once were since mag sorcs got our crit surge nerfed (yeah, I'm not salty much), but they're still very strong in there.
    The only stages you're at a disadvantage compared to mag sorcs are probably the ice and swamp one. I would pay vitality points to be able to skip them.
  • FriedEggSandwich
    FriedEggSandwich
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Haven't run it on my my sorc in ages, just out of interest where's everyone popping their red tree cp these days. I think I have 100 into bastion but wondering if that's a waste because of the reduced shield times (yeah it's been that long!)

I put zero cp into bastion for vma and my ward is still 21k with 44.5k magicka. I put more cp into hardy, ele defender and thick skinned instead. Works well.
    PC | EU
  • Masel
    Masel
    Class Representative
    I should have said that I don't use hardened ward, but harness magicka or empowered ward, so I need a few points in bastion to make it stronger.
    PC EU

Youtube:
  • Morbash
    Morbash
    ✭✭✭✭
    It comes down to personal preference and playstyle. If mag sorc feels more comfortable to you, then play mag sorc. This is why I play what I want rather than listen to others. Despite many claiming mag sorc was easy mode for vMA, stam sorc and magblade were my easiest clears. My mag sorc felt very clunky in the arena even though he was my second most played toon.
    Edited by Morbash on October 30, 2016 11:18PM
    "War doesn't build character; it reveals it."
  • Masel
    Masel
    Class Representative
    Morbash wrote: »
    It comes down to personal preference and playstyle. If mag sorc feels more comfortable to you, then play mag sorc. This is why I play what I want rather than listen to others. Despite many claiming mag sorc was easy mode for vMA, stam sorc and magblade were my easiest clears. My mag sorc felt very clunky in the arena even though he was my second most played toon.

This is basically it. Play the one you feel most comfortable with. I have completed it on my stamsorc as well, but my magsorc is just the safest one for me, so I use that. But I know many people who prefer using stamina chars in there.
    PC EU

Youtube:
  • Lukums1
    Lukums1
    ✭✭✭✭
    Being flawless on both...

I can (with practice) say STAM hands down easier.

The burst on EVERYTHING is stupid high, granted mag sorc overload with elegant 40-51k crits is insane...

Personal opinion.
    PS4 Yellow Scum Dominion
    1600+ vMA runs and counting
    Magicka Sorc - Flawless - 544k Score
    Stam Sorc - Flawless - 559k Score
    Stam DK - FLAWLESS 512k Score
    Stam NB - 492k Score - Work in progress
    Magicka Temp - 482k Score

The Ozmeric Dominion (Oceanic) Australian Based Guild

vMA "guru" - VHRC - vSO - vSOHM - vDSA - vAA - vMOL
    The Maelstrom BIBLE for beginners/Flawless Achieve Below
    https://www.twitch.tv/lukumms/v/111730700
    https://www.twitch.tv/videos/181142505

You have vMA questions? Want a guide? Helping hand? PM me!

Returns after 6 months back to back flawless
    https://go.twitch.tv/videos/180384648

• Frozenmosquito
    [quote="Reorx_Holybeard;3489761"...That and I don't play my Mag Sorc much so the rotation is not very comfortable.
    [/quote]

Yeah It felt exactly the same way when I went in first, but I recognised it was the rotation. Its a different playstyle on a magsorc and can feel annoying at first especially in VMA but once you get it down it becomes awesome. At least for me personally
    please nerf writs
  • Izaki
    Izaki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Alucardo wrote: »
    Stam sorc is amazing in vMA. Not like they once were since mag sorcs got our crit surge nerfed (yeah, I'm not salty much), but they're still very strong in there.
    The only stages you're at a disadvantage compared to mag sorcs are probably the ice and swamp one. I would pay vitality points to be able to skip them.

Crit Surge is better than it ever was.
    @ Izaki #PCEU
    #FrenchKiss #GoneFor2YearsAndMyGuildDoesn'tRaidAnymore
    #MoreDPSthanYou
    #Stamblade