The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Dragonknight Healer Questions

EldritchPenguin
EldritchPenguin
✭✭✭✭✭
Hey, everyone. I have a quick question regarding my Dragonknight.

My Dragonknight is currently running a Magicka DPS setup. However, I was wondering if it would also be worthwhile to spec this character as a healer instead to make it easier to get into a group, since the game is flooded with DPS characters. And, if it is, any build advice you might be able to give me would be vastly appreciated.

I'm a Dunmer, if that's a necessary piece of information.

Thank you for your time.
Edited by EldritchPenguin on October 29, 2016 5:17PM
Lilelle Adlis - Dark Elf Dragonknight

Vaynothah Sailenar - Dark Elf Templar

Sherivah Telvanni - Dark Elf Sorcerer

Nephiah Telvanni - Dark Elf Nightblade
  • Alanar
    Alanar
    ✭✭✭✭
    I do dps, healer, and tank on the same magdk, and it works great.

For non-DLC dungeon healing, all you really need is your dps armor and a restoration staff. Igneous Shield is also nice for the Major Mending buff and a group shield.

If your goal is to get into groups though, tanks are in more demand than healers, and dks make great tanks.
  • Ajaxduo
    Ajaxduo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alanar wrote: »
    I do dps, healer, and tank on the same magdk, and it works great.

For non-DLC dungeon healing, all you really need is your dps armor and a restoration staff. Igneous Shield is also nice for the Major Mending buff and a group shield.

If your goal is to get into groups though, tanks are in more demand than healers, and dks make great tanks.

Agreed, you can run magicka DK tank which is very effective. However if tanking isn't your thing then go for DK healer! You can run something like this:
    Restoration Staff:
    - Healing Ward, emergency shield & heal.
    - Combat Prayer, decent heal which buffs the group.
    - Healing Spring, AoE heal spam. You can switch this for Rapid Regeneration/Mutagen for a nice HoT.
    - Igneous Shield. Group shield mainly used to grant major mending to yourself.
    - Inner Light. More magicka and major prophecy.*
    - Ulti: Magma Shell. Large group shield.
    Destruction Staff:
    - Molten Whip/Force Pulse, having a DPS spammable as a healer is important.
    - Burning Embers/Fiery Grip, a strong DoT which you can use to heal yourself or I prefer Fiery Grip to help neatly stack mobs to help the DPS AoE.
    - Engulfing Flames, increased fire damage for all of your group.
    - Elemental Drain, help sustain those hungry magicka DD's.
    - Inner Light. *
    - Ulti: Aggressive Warhorn/Standard of Might, Warhorn is great for organized groups or you can use standard to increase your own DPS.

For your CP I'd say keep your DPS setup as it is a waste of gold respeccing back and forth. You can heal in DPS gear just fine, however Spell Power Cure is an amazing set. If you like niche setups you could use something like Combat Physician or Trinimac's Valor.
    - - -
    GM of Verum Aeternus, PC EU
    - - -
  • Veraen
    Veraen
    ✭✭
    My Dragonknight is currently running a Magicka DPS setup. However, I was wondering if it would also be worthwhile to spec this character as a healer instead to make it easier to get into a group, since the game is flooded with DPS characters. And, if it is, any build advice you might be able to give me would be vastly appreciated.
    I'm a little late responding on this one, but thought I'd share some recent experience. I'm a dragonknight tank and recently decided to jump into Cyrodil to level the Assault and Support skill lines. I decided to be a healer instead of trying to fight on the front lines with my weak DPS tank with no critical resist.

After advancing the skill lines and testing out the skills, I can't believe how awesome some of the skills are, especially for healing. In particular, be sure to check out the following skills.
    Also, do not overlook the following healing morphs of dragonknight skills. They are pretty awesome!
    • Obsidian Shard (Morph of Stonefist from the Earthen Heart Skill Line)
    • Cauterize (Morph of Inferno from the Ardent Flame Skill Line)
    These skills combined with the skills that @Ajaxduo mentioned are quite effective. Hope this helps!
    Veræn → XB1/NA
  • Zakor
    Zakor
    ✭✭✭
    Advice from DK-Heal
    1. Use Healing-Springs as main-heal. I for myself run a complete Resto-Skill-Bar. Works great. As Ult I like to use Meteor or Warhorn.
    2. Your "Oh ***" ability is the healing ward. Make good use of it.
    3. On your backbar you have 2 choices: 1) would be dual wield for additional mdmg, 2) would be destro staff (esp. for wgt for example). Must have on backbar is igneous shield since it boosts your healings. I really love the chocking talons also since they take tons of damage of the group in groupfights. Be sure to use igneous weapons to buff your and your allies damage.
    4. Whoever tells you to use magma shell: ignore them. It's absolutly not worth it. Instead play a bit PvP and slot barrier. The shield is around 200% stronger!
    5. Do NOT run obsidian shard unless you REALLY know what you do, since: the heal is damn unreliable and has travel time --> actually a pretty bad skill. Cauterize on the other hand is a great tool you click every 20 secs. I have that one on my backbar also.
    6. Since you want to support your group you want to have necrotic orb on your bar and slot a set that restores stamina to your group like sentinel of rkugamz.
    7. Don't let anyone talk you into a dd/tank role/playstyle. You are a healer and should play like one.You really don't have to deal damage at all.
    8. As DKs have a problem with range you most likely will fight close to the enemies. Think about sloting heavy armor for that. It works great actually as long as you combine it correctly (something like 3heavy/4light for example). It will also boost your sustain in trash fights!
    9. Try to use ults when your ressources are low AND the group needs them. That for, try to use ignous shield/weapons every 6 seconds to maxime the effect of your mountains blessing passive.
    10. As Dk sustain is low and depends on ults you may want to be a vamp to get improved regen. As dunmer that should be no problem.

Example build like I play it:
    • Seducer 5 piece (heavy torso, heavy legs, light hands, boots and belt)
    • 2 piece sentinel of rkugamz(head heavy, shoulder light)
    • jewels of SPC
    • dual wield SPC
    • normal resto (still waiting for master resto for more stam recovery).
    (sidenote: As you see I only have SPC on backbar. That's no problem since mutagen can proc it and you can do things like weapon swap midst combat prayer to gain the bonus. Maybe needs a bit practice)

Mainbar (Resto):
    Mutagen, Illustrious healing, Combat prayer, healing ward, Siphon spirit; Warhorn/Meteor

Backbar1(Dual Wield):
    Igneous Shield, Necrotic Orb, Chocking Talons (Trashfights)/Bone Surge(Bone SHield Morph for Bossfights), Cauterize, Igneous Weapons; Barrier

Backbar2(Destro)
    Igneous Shield, Necrotic Orb, Crushing Shock, Cauterize, Igneous Weapons; Barrier

If in any doubt feel free to PM me with further questions. I heal Vet-Content with this build without any problems. ;)
  • Veraen
    Veraen
    ✭✭
    Zakor wrote: »
    Whoever tells you to use magma shell: ignore them. It's absolutly not worth it. Instead play a bit PvP and slot barrier. The shield is around 200% stronger!
    Great information all around @Zakor man. I couldn't agree with your opinion on Magma Shell more brother. Not only is the Barrier shield stronger, but it lasts a long long time too! :smiley:

A couple questions:
    1. What does SPC mean?
    2. Have you taken this build into Cyrodil?
    Edited by Veraen on January 5, 2017 11:23PM
    Veræn → XB1/NA
  • Zakor
    Zakor
    ✭✭✭
    @Veraen
    I'm sorry to tell you that this build is purely build for PvE and not really tested in PvP since I'm not into that. Actually, the only PvP experience this build has is from getting Barrier and for that i had a few adjustments (a bit damage and siege shield for example).