The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [IN PROGRESS] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Low performance on decent computer.

Veckler
Veckler
Soul Shriven
Hi!

Probably a few people asked this question already, but the answers I found on the internet didn't solve my problem.

So recently I bought Tamriel Unlimited, installed it, and got into playing. The settings were high-med. At the tutorial phase I saw that the game sometimes has fps drops, but it was kinda fine. But when I made it "outside", it went horrible. I had huge fps drops every few seconds even on low settings. And set everything to low shouldn't be an option, since my laptop is stronger.

Here's my spec:

Intel i5 4210U 2.7 ghz - Checked, it's working properly cores running at 2 ghz+, depending on what I do.
GeForce 840M, 2 GB DDR3 memory (64 bit, 2000 MHz effective) - At the control panel I set this as the default graphics processor.
4GB DD3L Memory

As far as I know my laptop hits the recommended settings, so I just don't why it can't handle even the low settings.
Thanks in advance for any help!

Best Answer

• JamilaRaj
    JamilaRaj
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Veckler wrote: »
    Hi!

Probably a few people asked this question already, but the answers I found on the internet didn't solve my problem.

So recently I bought Tamriel Unlimited, installed it, and got into playing. The settings were high-med. At the tutorial phase I saw that the game sometimes has fps drops, but it was kinda fine. But when I made it "outside", it went horrible. I had huge fps drops every few seconds even on low settings. And set everything to low shouldn't be an option, since my laptop is stronger.

Here's my spec:

Intel i5 4210U 2.7 ghz - Checked, it's working properly cores running at 2 ghz+, depending on what I do.
    GeForce 840M, 2 GB DDR3 memory (64 bit, 2000 MHz effective) - At the control panel I set this as the default graphics processor.
    4GB DD3L Memory

As far as I know my laptop hits the recommended settings, so I just don't why it can't handle even the low settings.
    Thanks in advance for any help!

Intel i5 4210U is gutted (2 core) low power (1.7GHz base) mobile processor (U in the name denotes that gUtted). It runs on higher clock frequency only if temperature allows, and it will not allow much, because CPU and GPU are typically cooled by single heatpipe.
    I played on i7-4710HQ (4 core, 2.5GHz base) and R9 M265x and though it was not horrible, FPS could drop bellow 20 when zergball was at the opposite side of keep, or to single digits when zergball was in immediate vicinity.
    Moreover FPS dropped over time, and by over time I do not mean The Usual Drop Over Time, when one starts with X FPS and after an hour has 1/2X FPS. I mean that with same settings, FPS dropped to half of what it was 5 months ago (and that observation itself was made over a year ago).
    It will not run smoothly. At best the buggy mess might crawl glacially (albeit with the CPU boiling). You are doomed.

EDIT: in DDR3L, the L probably also denotes low power (=slow). That is bad. But always look on the bright side! With everything low power, at least it will crawl glacially for a long time on battery. Well, assuming the battery is not gutted too.
    Edited by JamilaRaj on October 28, 2016 2:28PM
  • Veckler
    Veckler
    Soul Shriven
    Thank you for your answers. I have a really nice cooler pad, this was the first thing to buy with the laptop. Somehow after a reinstall the game works quite fine, I only got some drops here and there. The problem wasn't even that "omg why I can't play on ultra", but the game just ran terrible. Now it's good somehow. But anyway thanks again for your help!