The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Crashing after pressing PLAY - Windows 10 / Intel / Nvidia

LastPrussian
Hi,
My ESO is crashing once I press PLAY button on the launcher. Which is especially frustrating since I already got the paid sub and now can't play. I tried the following:
- re-downloading
- re-installing
- added to firewall exceptions
- running as administrator
- updating my video drivers
- updating windows to the latest build
- filing a support ticket (no reply in 3 days)

The interesting part is that yesterday I had a small patch and it worked fine for one evening. The next day, for no apparent reason, its back to not working.

Attached is every single info file I could think of.

Any ideas?
OGCryptor on Xbox Live, twitter, Facebook, streaming on www.mixer.com/OGCryptor
  • ZOS_DaryaK
    ZOS_DaryaK
    admin
    Try disabling Razer processes, they conflict with ESO and cause issues. The processes you're looking for are:
    rzsynapse.exe, RazerIngameEngine.exe, RzStats.manager.exe and rzcefrenderprocess.exe.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • LastPrussian
    ZOS_DaryaK wrote: »
    Try disabling Razer processes, they conflict with ESO and cause issues. The processes you're looking for are:
    rzsynapse.exe, RazerIngameEngine.exe, RzStats.manager.exe and rzcefrenderprocess.exe.

Thank you! This did not help me but that's a great observation and I am sure it will help some folk. I also killed the WoT launcher just in case.

Out of curiosity is it Razer programs specifically or all peripheral companies that makes them that cause you headakes? Is there a list of known troublemakers?

Is re-installing Windows 10 from scratch likely to help?
    Edited by LastPrussian on October 28, 2016 1:47AM
  • ZOS_DaryaK
    ZOS_DaryaK
    admin
    Some other programs like Raptr and I think it's called Overwolf are known troublemakers, you might want to try running the game in safe mode to see what happens, that is, make sure nothing else is running.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • LastPrussian
    This did not work for me but it;s a great idea to try for others who are having this issue so I am adding it into this thread:

Please go to My Documents/The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited/Live and look for the UserSettings.txt file.

Then perform the following steps:
    * Open UserSettings.txt with Notepad
    * Press Ctrl + F and search for RequestedNumThreads
    * This brings you to the line SET RequestedNumThreads "X" (with a number instead of X)
    * Change that number to 0 (zero, not the letter O)
    * Save and close the document
    * Restart the launcher and try to launch the game

I do not have this line:
    SET RequestedNumThreads "X"

What I do have is:
    SET RequestedNumJobThreads "-1"
    SET RequestedNumWorkerThreads "-1"

What I tried is:
    Setting only RequestedNumJobThreads to 0
    Setting only RequestedNumWorkerThreads to 0
    Setting both RequestedNumJobThreads and RequestedNumWorkerThreads to 0
    Adding SET RequestedNumThreads "0" while the other two are at -1
    Adding SET RequestedNumThreads "0" while the other two are at 0 as well

None of these things worked. What I did notice though is that I did not get the first error popup that happened when the launcher started. However it crashed right after pressing the PLAY button on the launcher still.
  • LastPrussian
    Few more things everyone having issues should try:

First of all make an exception/whitelist inside the anti-virus and Firewall softwares to allow either the Elder Scrolls Online folder or the specific files of ESO.exe and the Bethesda.net_Launcher.exe.

Also, for windows firewall here are the steps:

1. Open the Start Menu and type in the search box in the upper right Firewall.
    2. Select the Windows Firewall option.
    3. On the left pane select Allow a program or feature through the Windows Firewall.
    4. Add both the ESO.exe and Bethesda.net_Launcher.exe.
    5. These files can be found in the C:\Program Files (x86)\Zenimax Online directory
    6. And in C:\Program Files (x86)\Zenimax Online\Launcher.
    7. Then click OK.

To add the exception for The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited to Windows Defender, please follow the steps below:

Navigate to Control Panel and Open Windows Defender.
    Click on Tools, then Options.
    Select Excludefiles and folders and click Add.
    Browse for C:\Program Files (x86)\Zenimax Online\The Elder Scrolls Online\game\client\eso.exe and hit OK.
    Browse for C:\Program Files (x86)\Zenimax Online\Launcher\Bethesda.net_Launcher.exe.
    Hit OK and Save Changes.

NOTE: You will see two files by the name of Bethesda.net_launcher. While one is only an icon rather than a full game file, it is easy to confuse the two when setting up exclusions. To be safe, it is best to add both to the exclusion list.
  • LastPrussian
    Try this as well

To best access The Elder Scrolls Online, I would recommend configuring your router to open the following outbound ports:

-TCP / UDP Ports 24100 through 24131
    -TCP / UDP Ports 24300 through 24331
    -TCP / UDP Ports 24500 through 24507

• Update the firmware of your router (it is always a good step to take, as it prevents that an outdated firmware interferes on your connection).
    • Try to put your modem/router far from all electrical devices and do not coil up any excess signal or power cables (to eliminate possible interference problems).
  • LastPrussian
    Also try this

To Flush DNS:

Click on the Start button
    Type cmd in the Start Menu
    Right-click on Command Prompt and select Run as Administrator
    Type "ipconfig /flushdns" and hit enter
    If it was successful, you will see the message "Windows IP configuration successfully flushed the DNS Resolver Cache"
    Power cycle the router to clear the cache so that it doesn't store the bad route

To power cycle your home network, follow the process below:

Turn off the router by unplugging it. If you have a modem and router in one device, turn it off then proceed to step 3.
    Turn off the DSL or cable modem.
    Note: Some modems are equipped with a backup battery. If your modem has one, please remove the backup battery to completely turn off your modem.
    Turn off all computers attached to your network.
    Turn on the DSL or cable modem first and let it boot. Let it complete its connection to your ISP before proceeding to the next step. If you have a modem and router in one device, proceed to step 6 after it connects to your ISP.
    Once the modem completes the connection to your ISP, plug your router back in. Let it complete its power on test before proceeding to the next step.
    Restart your computer(s).

• LastPrussian
    After doing all of the above I am still unable to play.
  • LastPrussian
    I did this:

open your cmd as administrator
    >netsh i i r r
    >netsh winsock reset
    restart your computer

And it fixed everything. Can anyone explain to me what this does and why it worked ?
  • LastPrussian
    damn it LOL I try to log in now and I get the error again....go figure and everything was fine already this morning...
  • LastPrussian
    I am going over the report that game generated and I am seeing this:

Pinging launcher.bethesda.net [198.20.198.100] with 32 bytes of data:
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 198.20.198.100:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

As far as I can see there is nothing else that's coming up with an error. What can possibly cause this & how do I fix it?
  • LastPrussian
    5 days of troubleshooting and still i can't play. In mean time my subscription time that I paid for is being used up by... troubleshooting. I love this game, played it for a while before, for whatever reason things are just not working out this time around :( I really don't want to play anything else... any ideas ?
  • LastPrussian
    OK you can close this. I have no idea what i did but after 4 hours of resetting routers, PC, flushing IPs and DNS etc.. all of a sudden it's working right now. No idea why. No idea what the actual problem was.
  • Hullstrider
    Hullstrider
    Soul Shriven
    I'm suddenly having the same problem. Crashes immediately after hitting play. Starting the troubleshooting process, but it sure would be nice to get a fix on the dev side since multiple players are having the issue.
  • LastPrussian
    Aaaaand my problem is back...thesame thing, press PLAY and crashes.
  • LastPrussian
    Forgot to post but now evrythign is working fine. Remember to power cycle your router/modem & your PC, disconnect the coax doing to the modem as well
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did this:

open your cmd as administrator
    >netsh i i r r
    >netsh winsock reset
    restart your computer

And it fixed everything. Can anyone explain to me what this does and why it worked ?

The TCP/IP Stack can become corrupted over time. And, there are many reasons for the corruptions. Back in the day, when these were persistent, we would just remove the TCP/IP Protocol and reinstall it. Today, Resetting the Winsock is basically reinstalling the TPC/IP stack.

As for the source of these issues, I don't know if you have tried this, but do a strict clean boot and see if the problem persists. By strict, I mean no apps load with windows, and no non Microsoft services load with windows.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• parkham
    parkham
    ✭✭✭
    I did everything he did and still broken

PC-NA-EST

- All's Faire Guild
    - Divine Crusade Guild
    - Greybeards & Gals Guild
    - Dead Citizens Guild
  • LastPrussian
    Today I bought a brand spankin new Windows 10, 64 bit home edition genuine dvd. I will format my drive & re-install Windows from scratch. I will fully update it, then install and fully update all drivers and then ESO. This is my last ditch attempt to make ESO run on my PC. If this does not work then I don't see how I can ever make this work (based on what we did already).
  • parkham
    parkham
    ✭✭✭
    I went from an old 64 bit Windows 7 to 32 bit Windows 7 clean install, all updates and it broke. I reverted back to my old 64 bit installation (booted to the drive they reside on) and it still chugs along.

I don't really know, but ESO seems to not like 32 bit. I'm going to wipe the 32 bit install and put 64 bit Windows 7 on the ssd I bought, repeat all steps and see what happens. If it works, I can conclude that (for me) it's an architecture problem.

PC-NA-EST

- All's Faire Guild
    - Divine Crusade Guild
    - Greybeards & Gals Guild
    - Dead Citizens Guild