The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Is it normal for weapons to change their damage after reaching Champion levels?

shadoza
shadoza
✭✭✭
I have been noticing lately that my weapons are losing their damage value as I go up in level. When I was at level Champion 46, my Ashlander axe recorded damage of 1072. When I reached level Champion 51. I noticed the damage amount changed to 1048. This is not the only weapon that does this. I asked in chat but those that answered said they have not noticed this happening? I have images if it helps.

Best Answers

• FoolishHuman
    FoolishHuman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's probably the scaling. Look at all your stats in the screenshot, they all go down when leveling. That's because the lower level you are the more you are scaled up to champion 160.
    Answer ✓
  • AzuraKin
    AzuraKin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    you are scaled to v160 in all zones as of 1t (fucking horrible idea, tells you game is already dying and zos has to resort to tricks to get new players in). how this works is if you are lvl 10 wearing lvl 10 gear which you will be scaled to as if you were wearing cp 160 gear of the same quality. now due to the fact that increase in spell/weapon power on passives is not linear on gear below cp lvls, this creates a disparage where characters below cp lvls get scaled to a higher value of stats then similar gear gives at v160 (for example a lvl 4 toon wearing white julianos and 4p dw eyes of mara will have higher spell power then a v160 toon with same gear gold with addition of willpower jewelry with enchants for spell power). the downshoot is, you will not have the same passives as them, thus they will have more crit chance and penetration giving them still harder hitting damage. also as you lvl up the stats will scale based on your lvl to the cp 160 mark. hence at if you were to wear the lvl 4 gear all the way to lvl 50, you will lose probably about half of the up-scaled stats if not more (this is theory on my end as i have not tested the difference of power at various lvls that is something you could do if you desire to put out some useful info for other newbies).
    v160 spellsword (nightblade)
    v160 restoration archmage (Templar)
    v160 battlemage (sorcerer)
    v160 restoration archmage (Templar)
    v160 warrior (DragonKnight)
    v160 assassin (nightblade)
    v160 swordsman (sorcerer)
    v160 spellsword (nightblade)
    Answer ✓
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    shadoza wrote: »

Now, I understand that I am going to have to stand at the skill tables and make things only to break them down so I can access the higher level gear skills only to have it be outdate the next day.

Yes, and No. This is one of the downsides of the scaling system, and fortunately, it is only an issue for someone in your exact scenario, first character, not to CP160 yet. Once you get one character to CP160, then this will never be a problem again with any new characters you create, as they get all the Champ Points all your characters have earned.

As you say, your leveling and gaining points really fast, as the Catch Up Mechanism is supposed to be doing for you. So, to deal with this for the next week or few days, or, heck two days if you take advantage of the festival exp bonus, change what you are doing.

The Public Dungeons were all rescaled as we know for One Tamriel, but not all dungeons are the same type of CP160 mobs, so, use this to your advantage. Find an "easier" public dungeon, Crimson Cove in Malabal Tor is one example (where Vile Manse in Reaper's March would not be an example). All but one boss in there is easy to avoid. There are others out there to find, like maybe the Lost City in Coldharbor would be good too. Make your self a set of gear with the Training Trait, don't worry if it's lower than your level, your going to be wearing the same set until you get to CP160*. Improve it to Blue, Purple if you can. You can have this be a crafted set or just base armor, but a Crafted Set would be better. Anyway, get the gear, strap on your best AoE skills, and go to town on the mob clusters and grind until your at CP160. Side Benefit, you will get tons of gear to either Vendor or break down for mats/inspiration. Anyway, take a step back from you normally do and find the easy experience.

Note some dungeons that are in the zones that have the popular world set drops might be crowded, so you may have to hunt around for an empty or under played dungeon with squishy mobs. If you have a grind partner, no Public Dungeon is going to be an issue for you, no matter what the scaling is doing.

If you run the Training Trait, and the Witches Brew, your going to be at a 170% to 190% Exp Bonus, and into the 220% to 240% range with Ambrosia. Add in Rings of Mara or grouping with one other (which will make this even easier) and you can hit 250%/260% Exp Boost for this time. Believe me, you will be at CP160 before you know it.

If you are adverse to Grinding, then focus on Zone Main Quests as those give tons of Champ Points on Turn In, but since they are not Mob kills you don't get all the Training Gear Benefit, but still lots of Exp. However the mobs for these tend to be a bit easier, but certainly not harder, than most any other mobs your going to find in the game. So, your skewed stats from scaling will not effect you.

*You might consider making a new weapon every 30 or 40 Champ Levels or whatever the gear break down is, but don''t worry about the armor. And only do the weapon if your not killing mobs. This is why you can afford to take the armor to Purple, you will only need one set.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

Answer ✓
  • shadoza
    shadoza
    ✭✭✭
    The image of the weapon.
  • shadoza
    shadoza
    ✭✭✭
    Okay, so you are saying that it IS normal and that it happens to everyone under 160? If my gear keeps dropping as I level, it is no great wonder that I am having issues with bosses.
  • shadoza
    shadoza
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you both for answering.

I feel the system is defeating me more than the bosses. If my gear drop in power as I level, and I am leveling at an alarming rate (seriously went from level 49 to v51 in two days), I am going to be too low for the major fights because my gear will always be behind...well until I get to v160 anyway.

Now, I understand that I am going to have to stand at the skill tables and make things only to break them down so I can access the higher level gear skills only to have it be outdate the next day. I do not have the resources for v50 weapons or a full set of armor, so I am going to have to stop playing the game and farm resources which will also be outdated soon after I get it. But...I do not get skill points so easy, (especially if I am farming and not playing the game) so maybe I won't be able to raise my crafting skills high enough to even worry about getting the resources.

This is crazy. :(
  • feyii
    feyii
    ✭✭✭✭
    With battle leveling active you definatly have to use gear that's up to your level, otherwise it is also scaled in relation to it. But until you reach CP160 you might just want to use gear you find, as it always drops for your current level. And with the amount of new sets introduced with One Tamriel and which are quite easy to get, you should find something that fits your playstyle.

But I agree that this system can be very confusing.
  • leowkwok
    leowkwok
    So a way of putting this into perspective, is that as long as you're wearing the correct gears to match your level, the only things that distinguishes a level 1 player from a CP 160 players are the minor passives from champion points and skills?
  • shadoza
    shadoza
    ✭✭✭
    @Nestor Thank you for you kind response.

I did try the dungeons scenario you suggested, but I couldn't find the dungeons as I was not familiar with the areas. I was playing the Alik'r Desert map at the time so I tried a public dungeon there and almost instantly regretted it. I attacked a man standing by himself, but at least 5 people came running at me. AHhhhh! I gave it some time but everyone was running dolmens and world bosses so, that idea didn't turn out. I tried doing dolmens and WBs too but still not getting useful gear drops. I did get a handful of filled soul gems so at least when I die I can return to the fight without having to redo the entire thing.

I resolve to purchasing a "rescue" bundle from the crown store...the one with the poison, 3-in-1 potions and meals, experience scrolls, full body repair kits...and there might have been something other probably soul gems. I use the pots and poisons when I get to the bosses I can't beat. Not the best answer, I suppose, however if I am to continue playing, I do need a plan because I am level v85 now and still sporting some non vet gear because I have no better options.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @shadoza, you on the PC/NA Server? If so, reach out to me in game and I can help you out with some gear or combat tips
    Edited by Nestor on October 30, 2016 11:12AM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• shadoza
    shadoza
    ✭✭✭
    @Nestor. I thank you for the offer; however, I pay to play this game and I prefer to make my own path within it. Honestly, playing my first character feels like I have been sent back to my teen years: All the responsibilities of an adult with none of the resources or skills. I am at level CP 85, so I am a little more than half way to the breakeven point. I hope my younger siblings (I have 7 other characters of various races, classes, and weapon skills) appreciates the work I put into getting them on the easier path. :smile: