The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Immovable pots

br0steen
br0steen
✭✭✭✭
Tonight I had two people tonight inform me immovable pots are for scrubs.

I'm seriously curious, because I've always used pots, is it considered dishonorable to use certain things in duels?
One was using the tremorscale viper combo too, which I found super ironic.

But seriously did I miss the no potion memo? Is there a list of items and skills I shouldn't use posted somewhere?
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Only thing I refuse to dual is bubble builds. I think maulubeth and poisons are cheap and have no place In duels. Apart from that, everything, including immovable pots are fine.
  • arkansas_ESO
    arkansas_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    br0steen wrote: »

I'm seriously curious, because I've always used pots, is it considered dishonorable to use certain things in duels?

But seriously did I miss the no potion memo? Is there a list of items and skills I shouldn't use posted somewhere?

This is by no means an "official" list and I obviously have no power over any of you, just saying what I've seen usually be banned in duels and tournaments (I've been dueling since launch through Legend):
    • 2pc Malubeth. Banned because it can artificially lengthen fights, and a lucky proc can save somebody's life. Seen in a similar light to other "cancer proc sets" like Tremorscale and Viper in that it takes away a significant amount of skill away from the fight and encourages players to rely on procs.
    • 2pc Tremorscale and 5pc Viper. Running both at the same time is seen as bad as it encourages players to rely on procs and not worry about actually damaging players with their own skills. Some also refuse to fight people that run Velidreth and Viper.
    • Immovable potions. A huge part of dueling is setting up burst after a CC, and knowing how to prevent getting CCed before getting bursted. Immovable pots turn a critical element of dueling into "press Q" and is seen as unskillful.
    • Resource poisons. Poisons that increase magicka and/or stamina costs of your target by 60% are so above and beyond powerful that anybody not using them might as well be shooting themselves in the foot. Banned as they lack proper counterplay (the only class well equipped to deal with them is Templar), reduce build variety (again, only Templars can really deal with them) and are generally unfun to fight against.
    • Fasalla's Guille. Like resource poisons, this 5pc is so strong that everybody, magicka and stamina, should be running it. Banned because it reduces build variety.
    Edited by arkansas_ESO on October 21, 2016 7:03AM

Grand Overlord 25/8/17
  • THEDKEXPERIENCE
    THEDKEXPERIENCE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Haters gonna hate. Use everything you can. If you make an agreement with someone beforehand then honor it like a gentleman but the first rule of any game is to know the rules. ZOS made the official dueling rules as anything goes, so therefore anything goes.

On a side note, I'm going to guess the person you beat was using a glitchy stamina build.
  • br0steen
    br0steen
    ✭✭✭✭
    Haters gonna hate. Use everything you can. If you make an agreement with someone beforehand then honor it like a gentleman but the first rule of any game is to know the rules. ZOS made the official dueling rules as anything goes, so therefore anything goes.

On a side note, I'm going to guess the person you beat was using a glitchy stamina build.

It's like... You know 0.o
  • KramUzibra
    KramUzibra
    ✭✭✭✭

This is by no means an "official" list and I obviously have no power over any of you, just saying what I've seen usually be banned in duels and tournaments (I've been dueling since launch through Legend):
    • 2pc Malubeth. Banned because it can artificially lengthen fights, and a lucky proc can save somebody's life. Seen in a similar light to other "cancer proc sets" like Tremorscale and Viper in that it takes away a significant amount of skill away from the fight and encourages players to rely on procs.
    • 2pc Tremorscale and 5pc Viper. Running both at the same time is seen as bad as it encourages players to rely on procs and not worry about actually damaging players with their own skills. Some also refuse to fight people that run Velidreth and Viper.
    • Immovable potions. A huge part of dueling is setting up burst after a CC, and knowing how to prevent getting CCed before getting bursted. Immovable pots turn a critical element of dueling into "press Q" and is seen as unskillful.
    • Resource poisons. Poisons that increase magicka and/or stamina costs of your target by 60% are so above and beyond powerful that anybody not using them might as well be shooting themselves in the foot. Banned as they lack proper counterplay (the only class well equipped to deal with them is Templar), reduce build variety (again, only Templars can really deal with them) and are generally unfun to fight against.
    • Fasalla's Guille. Like resource poisons, this 5pc is so strong that everybody, magicka and stamina, should be running it. Banned because it reduces build variety.

No official rules should ever be implemented. A good player will fined a way to combat around anyone of these so called "rules". Im not that good a player and I can find ways around all of them. Haha iv attempted to participate in dueling tournaments and been disqualified because I used animation cancelling once I found a nightblade that would go into stealth from the start do a snipe spam combo back into stealth pop out and do it again so I used a detect pot and destroyed him. A skilled player could figure this out. Which is why it's usually 2 out 3 for the win. Allows the opportunity to tweak your build accordingly
  • arkansas_ESO
    arkansas_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    KramUzibra wrote: »

No official rules should ever be implemented. A good player will fined a way to combat around anyone of these so called "rules". Im not that good a player and I can find ways around all of them. Haha iv attempted to participate in dueling tournaments and been disqualified because I used animation cancelling once I found a nightblade that would go into stealth from the start do a snipe spam combo back into stealth pop out and do it again so I used a detect pot and destroyed him. A skilled player could figure this out. Which is why it's usually 2 out 3 for the win. Allows the opportunity to tweak your build accordingly

ESO is a game that was and is designed and balanced around large scale PVP. As such, there's things in ESO that are balanced in the context of large scale PVP, but unbalanced in the context of a 1v1. It makes sense to ban these things, as the entire point of dueling and tournaments is to encourage fun, fair fights.

Grand Overlord 25/8/17
  • Bryanonymous
    Bryanonymous
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would just like to know why they believe that preventing CC makes a player a scrub, while the opponent dishing the CC is not? Immovable pots are a counter to something else. Why would they be for scrubs? Seems more like they are for smart players. "You setup a counter before my attack, whah! That's for scrubs!" With this logic, shields, healing, blocking, and even fighting back at all is for scrubs. Just let them win is pretty much their point.
    Edited by Bryanonymous on October 24, 2016 8:21AM
  • Hempyre
    Hempyre
    ✭✭✭✭
    There is no list if any kind, official or otherwise. Anyone saying what you can or can't use is only furthering their own agenda. Like a CC user saying you can't use immov pots...

If you make a gentleman's agreement for the purpose of that duel, then that's your and your opponent's prerogative.

Otherwise, if it's in your toolbag, then use it.

Whatever makes your build and play style perform at its best is what you use.

That's the point.
  • Abob
    Abob
    ✭✭✭
    Basically:

If I'm unable to kill you:

Your class is OP.
    Cancer build.
    You are a scrub.
    Etc.

If I kill you:

L2P n00b.
  • THEDKEXPERIENCE
    THEDKEXPERIENCE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Abob wrote: »
    Basically:

If I'm unable to kill you:

Your class is OP.
    Cancer build.
    You are a scrub.
    Etc.

If I kill you:

L2P n00b.

100% this. My entire toon is built around ultimate bombing people. I spent about a million gold ensuring that if I hit you with my ultimate then chances are high you're toast. I'll gladly duel someone without it if they ask but if not ... BLAMMO! You can call it a lack of skill on my part but it's really not. Instead I built a toon that can reasonably compete with almost anyone assuming I have an ultimate. Defeating me without it shows nothing.
    Edited by THEDKEXPERIENCE on October 24, 2016 3:29PM
  • arkansas_ESO
    arkansas_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would just like to know why they believe that preventing CC makes a player a scrub, while the opponent dishing the CC is not? Immovable pots are a counter to something else. Why would they be for scrubs? Seems more like they are for smart players. "You setup a counter before my attack, whah! That's for scrubs!" With this logic, shields, healing, blocking, and even fighting back at all is for scrubs. Just let them win is pretty much their point.

Buying expensive potions to you from getting CCed instead of learning when to block CCs and learning to CC break quickly is seen as unskillful and in bad taste.

Grand Overlord 25/8/17
  • Bryanonymous
    Bryanonymous
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Buying expensive potions to you from getting CCed instead of learning when to block CCs and learning to CC break quickly is seen as unskillful and in bad taste.

Sorry, but I've never, ever, paid for potions or for my own alchemy mats. And the potions are there so you can dedicate your focus on offense instead of defense.

With the same logic you gave of 'why use Y, when you can just use Z' could pretty much apply to anything and everything. The game is about playing the way you see fit, not bowing down to some scrub who cries every time you do something right.
    Edited by Bryanonymous on October 24, 2016 5:03PM
  • thankyourat
    thankyourat
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry, but I've never, ever, paid for potions or for my own alchemy mats. And the potions are there so you can dedicate your focus on offense instead of defense.

With the same logic you gave of 'why use Y, when you can just use Z' could pretty much apply to anything and everything. The game is about playing the way you see fit, not bowing down to some scrub who cries every time you do something right.

The thing is in ESO the only way to kill a good player is to cc them then burst them. There's pretty much no way to kill a good player if you can't cc them. That's why immovable pots are in bad taste. Why not just cc break if I can manage to break cc constantly with 10k stamina in a 1v1 no one should have a problem.
  • AverageJo3Gam3r
    AverageJo3Gam3r
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Isn't reactive usually added to the banned list for player run tournaments?
  • arkansas_ESO
    arkansas_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Isn't reactive usually added to the banned list for player run tournaments?

Some do, some don't. I'd say it's about 50/50

Grand Overlord 25/8/17
  • br0steen
    br0steen
    ✭✭✭✭

The thing is in ESO the only way to kill a good player is to cc them then burst them. There's pretty much no way to kill a good player if you can't cc them. That's why immovable pots are in bad taste. Why not just cc break if I can manage to break cc constantly with 10k stamina in a 1v1 no one should have a problem.

You could, I don't know, wait until cc immunity wears off to burst. You could argue the same thing against tanky templars who permablock. Should the heavy armor move unstoppable be banned to? How about vampires because of damage reduction at low health and the mist they can use?

You could argue almost anything is cheap and unfair in this game. I think most would agree there are more "dishonorable" things to do than use potions.
  • arkansas_ESO
    arkansas_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You could, I don't know, wait until cc immunity wears off to burst. You could argue the same thing against tanky templars who permablock. Should the heavy armor move unstoppable be banned to? How about vampires because of damage reduction at low health and the mist they can use?

You could argue almost anything is cheap and unfair in this game. I think most would agree there are more "dishonorable" things to do than use potions.

Immovable potions turn duels into a matter of who has the most gold to blow on potions/who has the most free time to farm for alchemy reagents. Immovable potions have been banned from practically every tournament since launch for a reason

Grand Overlord 25/8/17
  • THEDKEXPERIENCE
    THEDKEXPERIENCE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Immovable potions turn duels into a matter of who has the most gold to blow on potions/who has the most free time to farm for alchemy reagents. Immovable potions have been banned from practically every tournament since launch for a reason

And none of your tournaments matter.
  • arkansas_ESO
    arkansas_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

When hundreds of players come to these tournaments to have fun and compete for large amounts of gold, I'd say they matter. Why are you even in the dueling section if you have obviously have no interest in it?

Grand Overlord 25/8/17
  • Bryanonymous
    Bryanonymous
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Makes me wonder what else that 'good player' is using in their skill line or armor inventory that ALSO is preventing you from killing them. Again, your logic seems to target a potion for something that really is attributed to ALL of their build. You're basically saying that if they prevent you from making them unable to move at all, you can't kill them. Just recognize, that's not just because of the potion. You just seem to be hung up on the idea that CC and burst should be the way to win. But why? Is it because you play that way? Any and every ability can be classified as 'for scrubs' with the logic that you're associating with immovable that 'they stop me from being able to kill the player'. They are not the only thing stopping you, but you want that to be their one weakness, so you call them a scrub for not allowing it.
    Edited by Bryanonymous on October 25, 2016 7:34AM
  • THEDKEXPERIENCE
    THEDKEXPERIENCE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

When hundreds of players come to these tournaments to have fun and compete for large amounts of gold, I'd say they matter. Why are you even in the dueling section if you have obviously have no interest in it?

I have plenty of interest in dueling ... now. Now that there is an official rule set put forward by ZOS (even if it's no rules) in an environment that doesn't effect Cyrodiil.

I have no interest in dueling your way. If I get invited to a tournament I'll play by the rules but your rules are not the unwritten rules now. Sorry but you need to learn how to remove CC and beat people using their whole arsenal.
  • arkansas_ESO
    arkansas_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I have plenty of interest in dueling ... now. Now that there is an official rule set put forward by ZOS (even if it's no rules) in an environment that doesn't effect Cyrodiil.

I have no interest in dueling your way. If I get invited to a tournament I'll play by the rules but your rules are not the unwritten rules now. Sorry but you need to learn how to remove CC and beat people using their whole arsenal.
    This is by no means an "official" list and I obviously have no power over any of you, just saying what I've seen usually be banned in duels and tournaments (I've been dueling since launch through Legend)

Grand Overlord 25/8/17
  • thankyourat
    thankyourat
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Makes me wonder what else that 'good player' is using in their skill line or armor inventory that ALSO is preventing you from killing them. Again, your logic seems to target a potion for something that really is attributed to ALL of their build. You're basically saying that if they prevent you from making them unable to move at all, you can't kill them. Just recognize, that's not just because of the potion. You just seem to be hung up on the idea that CC and burst should be the way to win. But why? Is it because you play that way? Any and every ability can be classified as 'for scrubs' with the logic that you're associating with immovable that 'they stop me from being able to kill the player'. They are not the only thing stopping you, but you want that to be their one weakness, so you call them a scrub for not allowing it.

I don't think immovable pots are for scrubs I use them in open world PvP all the time to better help me manage my low stamina pool and help against some of the newer players who do nothing but try to knock you down. And it's not that I like to play cc and burst, but the fact that that's the only way to kill someone who knows what they are doing. Builds are just too powerful like I have 50k magicka 2k regen, and 3k spell damage if I couldn't be CC'd I would never lose because they're is no damage great enough to get through my shield and I would just heal myself to full over and over again. I wish there was another way to play the game other than try to burst someone down when they are cc'd. I would love to play a dot magblade build that won by out sustaining everyone, but that's just not viable. The point is the only viable way to play is kill someone in that small burst window that they are cc'd in or the duel will just go on forever. And with all the cp and how much mitigation people are being able to stack even that is impossible at times.
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it's Fing stupid to be like, Sure Fear, Fozzilize, etc are OK but immovable pots not? WTF?

Hello huge advantage to NBs and a BIG MIDDLE FINGER to sorcs, or any mag build for that matter.

These rules are silly. If you have access to it, it's legit, end of story.

I can't wait for,

"You used an immovable pot!"

"No I didn't! "

"Yes you did, I didn't knock you down"

"I had immunity still"

"Liar! Cheater!"

"I used the heavy armor skill, immovable brute, prove that I didn't "
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • arkansas_ESO
    arkansas_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hello huge advantage to NBs and a BIG MIDDLE FINGER to sorcs, or any mag build for that matter.

I main magicka and I don't need immovable pots, I think that it's pretty cheesy to use expensive consumables to gain an edge in a 1v1. I'm completely cool with them being banned.
    There's a huge bubble around you when you use the heavy armor skill, but not with an immovable pot. It's pretty hard to miss it.

Grand Overlord 25/8/17
  • Gothren
    Gothren
    ✭✭✭✭✭

you must be joking. getting a stack of immovable pots is the easiest and cheapest thing to do. i guess you dont know how to make gold in a short amount of time.
  • Talyena
    Talyena
    ✭✭✭✭
    All gentleman duals should be naked fist fights using only light and heavy attacks... :)
  • WhiteMage
    WhiteMage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When someone uses an immovable potion in a duel I get slightly annoyed, but honestly if you're going to do something like that in a duel, this one is the least of the offenders. All an immovable does (against me as a light armor magplar) it take away 1, MAYBE 2 if I'm on a roll, opportunities to burst you down and odds are I'll get an opening shortly after that anyway. (But in all likelihood I won't even notice you used it, either because dueling LA magplar is in a bad place or I need to L2P)

Maybe it's because I don't have many opportunities to CC that it isn't so bad, but I'd much rather you use these pots over a resource poison, malubeth, or some proc sets.
    The generally amicable yet sporadically salty magplar that may or may not have 1vXed you in Sotha Sil. Who knows?
  • CMurder435
    CMurder435
    ✭✭
    This is why I lost interest in 1v1 tourneys etc.. First it was no shield breaker bc sorcs..then no cloak.. No fassalla. No malubeth. No poison. No traps. No this no that.

If I can't use immovable pots then you cant use msa weapons?.. Just play the game by its own rules and have fun. I don't see the point of getting all butthurt competitive over 1v1s in the current state of the game.
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I main magicka and I don't need immovable pots, I think that it's pretty cheesy to use expensive consumables to gain an edge in a 1v1. I'm completely cool with them being banned.
    There's a huge bubble around you when you use the heavy armor skill, but not with an immovable pot. It's pretty hard to miss it.

Namira's Rot + Wormwood = free

Also lag can cause animation problems, prove my immovable brute didn't lag out... on Xbox
    Edited by Waffennacht on November 3, 2016 3:42PM
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds