The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

ESO Xbox/PS4/PC/Mac - Update 12 - No Longer A RPG/MMOPG - No Longer a Game We Wish to Play.

Chrisanne
Chrisanne
Soul Shriven
I have thought long and hard about writing this post. Sad to say it is my first and may very well be my last. My roommate and I are not the biggest gamers on the planet, but when we come home from a long day’s work we enjoy a bit of entertainment. From the time her college told her that they were playing ESO, she stated looking into it and so did I. We both purchased an Xbox one in order to play this game. That was three months ago. We have found ESO to be a fantastic escape from the monotony of the daily stress. It has let our minds and spirit go on adventures we could only dream of. From the stories to the music scores it has been nothing less than fantastic.

The roommate and I have both played RPGs way back in the day of the first Final Fantasy, Phantasy Star, Zelda, and even MUDs. Showing my age, I have played more RPGs and MMOPGs then I should even count. I have worked and lived around the game industry for many years. I say all this to show I am not some person just being a “hater” (or whatever the current word is), but someone that really wants to express my input as to why my friends, co-works, family, and myself will no longer be playing ESO until something changes.

Update 12 seem to be a fantastic idea all the way up to one single nail in the coffin. That nail is one word… “Scaling”. Scaling the level of the enemy or monster just to match your level (or close to it) makes an RPG pointless. The whole reason a person “Grinds” is be strong enough to take oh what is up ahead in the next adventure. You guys took the Indicator levels off the enemy because you felt there was no longer a need due to it was matched with the current player. Awful. If I wanted to travel back to where I started, all the enemies would be at my current level, and this makes me feel like I never advanced or achieved anything. What if I want raise my levels higher just to take on a large monster or boss in a cave, but learning it will do no good until you are killed over and over again. Pointless.

Player Vs. Player (PVP)…. What a wash there too. When would it ever seem fair that a level 12 person be able to kill a player that is level 50+? Why even try or care at that point? Why can a level 25 person attack an enemy with only a few blows and someone that is 45 with same race, pact, and weapons require to hit it three to four times that amount? Does that seem right? Again, Pointless.

I cannot wait to read everyone’s comments on this, and even the team that through Update 12 with the Scaling was a good idea.

I was honestly looking forward to putting more time, and money into this game. Thank you for helping me find something else to do with my free time.
Edited by Chrisanne on October 21, 2016 1:11PM
  • CrazySonoran
    CrazySonoran
    ✭✭✭
    It sounds like you are stuck in an old way of thinking. The games you played were all level based. ES games have always been more skill based than level based. You leveled skills which increased a level number but the skills were what was important. ESO is now a skill based system not level based. Sure you have a numeric level that scaled from 1-50 but the skills are what is important. I've tried taking on bosses with a "Level 6" that my CP366 characters handle with ease and there is definitely a difference in power between them. Mostly do to available skills but also my capped characters have higher stats across the board.

Consider the 1-50 journey to be more about learning skills and you learning how to play the skills and the "magic" will be back. Just dont get stuck in the old style vertical leveling mindset and it will actually be refreshing. I went through the same mental battle myself when I first started doing stuff in One Tamriel. Think in terms of skills not levels as well.