The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Things I Learned About Dueling

THEDKEXPERIENCE
THEDKEXPERIENCE
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭
Here are a few things I've learned about dueling these last 2 days.

- Don't fight a Nightblade at night.
- Having a super proc stam set doesn't instantly make you good.
- You can defeat 10 people in a row if you're in the right area and feel superhuman, but get insta wrecked back into reality by any random passer by.
- If you challenge a Nightblade to a rematch also don't do that while it's dark outside.
- Your champion points are in no way an indication of if you're actually good.
- Hurricane is more annoying than actually effective.
- Rope-a-doping people and then Ultimate frying them is a great way to get people angry.
- You shouldn't be mad when people start with their Ultimates. ZOS made the rules, not your dueling guild.
- A good battle is over after one mistake. Some people can go 10 minutes without making one.
- Don't accept duel invites without first adding in your duel only skills. Especially if it's a Nightblade, and it's at night.
- Vampires can't win unarmed fist fights because of health regeneration.
- Some CP300s are monster good players.
- Frying a level 18 with your Ultimate 1 second into a fight is funny. Just don't be mean about it.
- Much like most things, 90% of people are cool and win & lose gracefully. Those 10% give everyone a bad name.
- If someone has a title like "Grand Overlord" you're probably going to lose that duel. Still, you might learn a thing or two.

Post other random things you've learned. I'll be eating nighttime Nightblade humble pie.
  • NordSwordnBoard
    NordSwordnBoard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't seen a single tea-bagging. You stay classy, Tamriel.
    Fear is the Mindkiller
  • THEDKEXPERIENCE
    THEDKEXPERIENCE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

I only got one. Haha. The dude ran away into a crowd afterward.
  • phidonk526
    phidonk526
    ✭✭

I beat a magic sorc 4 times in a row, they challenge me again, they win and I get teabagged LOL.. I mean I literally found the humor in it because they did their teabag and then fast traveled immediately. Have enjoyed the dueling component so far and yes about 90% of the people have been cool.
    CP 160 Magic DK
    CP 160 Magic Templar
    CP 160 Magic NB
    CP 160 Stam Templar
    CP 160 Stam NB
    CP 160 Stam Sorc

• Ahzek
    Ahzek
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have learned to appreaciate my actually balanced fist fights between stam builds (GTFO magicka).
    Jo'Khaljor
  • THEDKEXPERIENCE
    THEDKEXPERIENCE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ahzek wrote: »
    I have learned to appreaciate my actually balanced fist fights between stam builds (GTFO magicka).

I've noticed that when I beat a cookie cutter stam build with a magic build I'm going to get instantly challenged to a rematch each time.

Side note ... Personally I've had the most problems fighting nightblades, then sorcs, then templars, and then lastly dks. Especially magic nightblades. Seems counter to what I've read.
  • Domino44G
    Domino44G
    ✭✭
    I'm at Champ 249 and some level 9 dude was faster, more powerful than his level should allow. I've had duels with plenty of folks. I've lost some, won the majority, though. How on earth can a level 9 guy, with only the abilities available to someone that low, do the superman crap this guy was doing? He was challenging every champ level around and beating most of them. I have never seen someone at level 9 that powerful in this game before so, are there ways to cheat/exploit or does the duel offer some skill equilibrium like PvP zones do? I don't mind losing unless someone cheats. If people can cheat the system then, I'm just turning on auto-decline.
  • DannyLV702
    DannyLV702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I was dueling a destro/restro mageade and when I beat him, he said I only won because of my sorc mines..... :|

I'm just thinking bruh......not a single one of your attacks required you to be in my space lol
  • THEDKEXPERIENCE
    THEDKEXPERIENCE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Domino44G wrote: »
    I'm at Champ 249 and some level 9 dude was faster, more powerful than his level should allow. I've had duels with plenty of folks. I've lost some, won the majority, though. How on earth can a level 9 guy, with only the abilities available to someone that low, do the superman crap this guy was doing? He was challenging every champ level around and beating most of them. I have never seen someone at level 9 that powerful in this game before so, are there ways to cheat/exploit or does the duel offer some skill equilibrium like PvP zones do? I don't mind losing unless someone cheats. If people can cheat the system then, I'm just turning on auto-decline.

It was probably a level 9 with 561 Champion Points. The only differences between them and a fully capped toon are about 50 skill points and gear. This can be a huge difference for most people but if you were fighting someone who has Grand Overlord on their main toon you would probably have been a big underdog in Vegas.
  • phidonk526
    phidonk526
    ✭✭
    DannyLV702 wrote: »
    I was dueling a destro/restro mageade and when I beat him, he said I only won because of my sorc mines..... :|

I'm just thinking bruh......not a single one of your attacks required you to be in my space lol

LOL I encountered someone the other day that whispered that I had a cheese build, but somehow his 25k health and valedrith wasn't cheese LOL. Not sure how you respond to people like that LOL
    CP 160 Magic DK
    CP 160 Magic Templar
    CP 160 Magic NB
    CP 160 Stam Templar
    CP 160 Stam NB
    CP 160 Stam Sorc

• THEDKEXPERIENCE
    THEDKEXPERIENCE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    phidonk526 wrote: »

LOL I encountered someone the other day that whispered that I had a cheese build, but somehow his 25k health and valedrith wasn't cheese LOL. Not sure how you respond to people like that LOL

Hurricane spamming Velindreth player called me a [SNIP]for using Soul Assault. It happens.

Cheese: Anything your opponent does that beats you.

Skill: Anything you do to beat your opponent.
    Edited by ZOS_PeterT on October 25, 2016 9:42PM
  • Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

giphy.gif
  • Domino44G
    Domino44G
    ✭✭
    Turn off chat and make it impossible for them to reach you. Can't stop 'em from tea-bagging you or that sort of crap, then again, I've not seen that sort of thing in a while...

Just make it so only your friends can speak / chat / whisper to you.
  • THEDKEXPERIENCE
    THEDKEXPERIENCE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Domino44G wrote: »
    Turn off chat and make it impossible for them to reach you. Can't stop 'em from tea-bagging you or that sort of crap, then again, I've not seen that sort of thing in a while...

Just make it so only your friends can speak / chat / whisper to you.

Part of me enjoys it. I got thick skin and am generally one of the most friendly people you'll ever meet online or in real life.

If someone rages on you generally the best response is to engage them with kindness and they lose it even more. At that point I laugh at them. I don't think I even have 5 people total on my ignore list.
  • phidonk526
    phidonk526
    ✭✭

Hurricane spamming Velindreth player called me a "[SNIP]" for using Soul Assault. It happens.

exactly LOL
    Edited by ZOS_PeterT on October 25, 2016 9:43PM
    CP 160 Magic DK
    CP 160 Magic Templar
    CP 160 Magic NB
    CP 160 Stam Templar
    CP 160 Stam NB
    CP 160 Stam Sorc

• Abob
    Abob
    ✭✭✭

Hurricane spamming Velindreth player called me a "[SNIP]" for using Soul Assault. It happens.

Mic drop.
    Edited by ZOS_PeterT on October 25, 2016 9:43PM
  • Curtdogg47
    Curtdogg47
    ✭✭✭✭
    I learned I am not a dueler!!!

• PnLA
    PnLA
    If you see lvl 3x on duelling, maybe you will die cause of the ZOS balance... I died for 3 skill combo to lvl 39, being 190cp... It's something wrong on this.
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Absolutely agree with everything in this thread

Went 10-0 against this NB, he whispers "that's OP af" "you can't win without SA" he then went and lost three more times without me using any ult. No more whispers.

Then had a really good fight against a DK that beat me... he waved good bye and disappeared, pretty good he was (made me want to have better than blue jewelry)
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • ColoursYouHave
    ColoursYouHave
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PnLA wrote: »
    If you see lvl 3x on duelling, maybe you will die cause of the ZOS balance... I died for 3 skill combo to lvl 39, being 190cp... It's something wrong on this.

Maybe that lvl 39 is just better than you?
  • Strider_Roshin
    Strider_Roshin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I learned that if you beat your opponent by using only heavy attacks, they get butt hurt.
  • THEDKEXPERIENCE
    THEDKEXPERIENCE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I learned that if you beat your opponent by using only heavy attacks, they get butt hurt.

Did they tell you that you have "no skill bro"?
  • pjwb16_ESO
    pjwb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭

Did they tell you that you have "no skill bro"?
    tbh he literally has no skill then right
    ~ here since Beta

My Youtube Channel: https://youtube.com/channel/UCw3x5B-l0S093TAo10WafLA

EU Server PC @Elendiel
    Fyrusha - NB AD
    Auri-ele - Sorc AD
    Watch me Nae Nae - Magicka DK AD
    Watch me Whip - Magicka DK DC
    Schnuggii - Bubble Templar AD
  • Rune_Relic
    Rune_Relic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here are a few things I've learned about dueling these last 2 days.

- Don't fight a Nightblade at night.
    - Having a super proc stam set doesn't instantly make you good.
    - You can defeat 10 people in a row if you're in the right area and feel superhuman, but get insta wrecked back into reality by any random passer by.
    - If you challenge a Nightblade to a rematch also don't do that while it's dark outside.
    - Your champion points are in no way an indication of if you're actually good.
    - Hurricane is more annoying than actually effective.
    - Rope-a-doping people and then Ultimate frying them is a great way to get people angry.
    - You shouldn't be mad when people start with their Ultimates. ZOS made the rules, not your dueling guild.
    - A good battle is over after one mistake. Some people can go 10 minutes without making one.
    - Don't accept duel invites without first adding in your duel only skills. Especially if it's a Nightblade, and it's at night.
    - Vampires can't win unarmed fist fights because of health regeneration.
    - Some CP300s are monster good players.
    - Frying a level 18 with your Ultimate 1 second into a fight is funny. Just don't be mean about it.
    - Much like most things, 90% of people are cool and win & lose gracefully. Those 10% give everyone a bad name.
    - If someone has a title like "Grand Overlord" you're probably going to lose that duel. Still, you might learn a thing or two.

Post other random things you've learned. I'll be eating nighttime Nightblade humble pie.

Nice post :smiley:

I have highlighted the skill in combat part.
    Pity all the combat equations dont = 0 in a perfect rotation.......and all thats left is how many mistakes each player makes.
    Edited by Rune_Relic on November 25, 2016 11:18AM
    Anything that can be exploited will be exploited
  • threefarms
    threefarms
    ✭✭✭
    I cast my mines and shield and then spam overload with my supreme elegance build. This kills 80% of my opponents 3 seconds into the fight. I get a lot of trash talk for it. Then there is 15% of players who know how to "nightblade" and/or roll dodge and/or have a high resistance to my attacks, but end up in a sticky situation due to "Delicious curse" and the mines. I have 50-50 chance of winning a duel in this category. The remaining 5% pretty much consist of people who have L2P'ed with their class and mag DK's who send my precious overloads back at me. I do not win those duels.

This is the creed of the overload sorc...
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @threefarms the only way to do that is to pre load ult... which is just low. Pre loading ult prior to a duel... want me to start off with a 115k SA?
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • thankyourat
    thankyourat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Viper is everywhere. I think I'm done dueling until some of these proc sets get toned down. I'm tired of losing 40% of my health from a light attack
  • Kutsuu
    Kutsuu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Viper is everywhere. I think I'm done dueling until some of these proc sets get toned down. I'm tired of losing 40% of my health from a light attack

Maybe stop running around with 15k HP?
    PC/NA

Envy Me - Sorc
    Kutsus - NB
    Kutsmuffin - Temp
    Kutsuu the Destroyer - NB
    Kutsuu - Temp
    Natsu Dragoneel - DK
    Kutsumo - NB
  • thankyourat
    thankyourat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kutsuu wrote: »

I have 25k health and 2400 crit resist lol that's still not going to save you from 15k or more burst damage every 4 seconds. if someone knows what they are doing its incredibly difficult to fight some of these builds I'm encountering while dueling. I don't blame anyone for running them because everyone is using them, and i try to build around it. I'm farming the sets now for a stam dk might as well join everyone else on the viper, tremor train lol no reason to not use it
  • Kutsuu
    Kutsuu
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I have 25k health and 2400 crit resist lol that's still not going to save you from 15k or more burst damage every 4 seconds. if someone knows what they are doing its incredibly difficult to fight some of these builds I'm encountering while dueling. I don't blame anyone for running them because everyone is using them, and i try to build around it. I'm farming the sets now for a stam dk might as well join everyone else on the viper, tremor train lol no reason to not use it

You said a light attack with viper proc does 40% of your life. I suppose you can see that in cases where both the viper and light attack crit against a player with pretty low physical resist.

And you're right, it's very powerful in skilled hands - IE someone who knows how to coordinate their burst and combine their 3-5k viper proc into an already potent burst combination. Especially if they also keep track of their Velidreth and weapon enchant cooldown and weave bashes to get maximum chance of a full set of procs. The average tard that's just light attacking you for their viper proc is not a threat at all, which is why your post annoyed me.
    PC/NA

Envy Me - Sorc
    Kutsus - NB
    Kutsmuffin - Temp
    Kutsuu the Destroyer - NB
    Kutsuu - Temp
    Natsu Dragoneel - DK
    Kutsumo - NB
  • thankyourat
    thankyourat
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You said a light attack with viper proc does 40% of your life. I suppose you can see that in cases where both the viper and light attack crit against a player with pretty low physical resist.

And you're right, it's very powerful in skilled hands - IE someone who knows how to coordinate their burst and combine their 3-5k viper proc into an already potent burst combination. Especially if they also keep track of their Velidreth and weapon enchant cooldown and weave bashes to get maximum chance of a full set of procs. The average tard that's just light attacking you for their viper proc is not a threat at all, which is why your post annoyed me.

Even some of the average players could take advantage of these sets and get some wins they shouldn't have though with some lucky rng. I had a guys Selene set double proc on me yesterday when I was going for the kill and it killed me. But yes if a player doesn't know how to use the build he's probably not a huge threat