The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Best sets for MagSorc Tank and tips needed

SaRuZ
SaRuZ
✭✭✭✭✭
So I ran vcells today naked(on accident) and still managed to beat it. Our healer had his work cut out for him. Keeper Imiril was by far the most annoying boss. She may be bugged idk this was my first vet dungeon.

I've gone the "pointless tank." class since I am not starting over with a DK for a bit. I really enjoy tanking and think I am getting better at it.

I have all 64 points in Magicka.

My set up is:

1st bar: Destro Staff
Hardened Ward, Annulment, Invigorating Drain, Inner Fire and (Devouring Swarm)

2nd bar: 1h+Shield
Hardened Ward, Immovable, Inner Fire, Liquid Lightning and (Negate)

There is one missing from both but icr what they are right now. Ive been wearing heavy armor with health increase & recovery enchants. My tactic has been to remain still and aggro the boss while timing my Hardened ward, making sure it is always up with a power attack from destro inbetween to keep my magicka up.

I also want to either find a good dropped set for this playstyle or craft my own. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. I want to eventually do trials and all the other end game content with this character if possible.
Edited by SaRuZ on October 20, 2016 6:29AM
  • knowledgeseeker
    First off I think it's best if you define what your definition of tank is, a lot of times I try looking up tank and it's everyone trying to hold aggro, whereas I'm looking to be the last person standing and being able to take a hit. I made a post just like this a long while back and I didn't really understand how powerful the spell shield abilities were and respeced properly. But after the spell shield Nerf I went full heavy armor, and haven't looked back.

I'm wearing 5 seducer 3 magnus, and running defender on my 2 staffs, head chest and legs are infused, feet and shoulders are reinforced waist and belt are divines, with the mage stone.
    And eventually with undaunted skill undaunted mettle I'll get more health, as for magic I have Willpower jewelry set and magic enchants on my armor.

This has lots of replies from my post on the same question.
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/2998924#Comment_2998924
    Edited by knowledgeseeker on October 20, 2016 5:00PM
  • SaRuZ
    SaRuZ
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for responding. My definition of tank is holding aggro on the boss and keeping the shields up constantly to stay alive. I cast negate on the ads to make it easier on the dd's. This class/role needs constant attention but it feels rewarding. As they say, if the tank goes down, everyone goes down.

I've decided once I reach 160CP over the weekend, I am going to do more research and respec all my Skills and CP into better Max Magicka/CC and some AoE. I stopped using pets because they pull aggro and the goal is to keep the boss still and mitigate all his damage. Pets pull the bosses to and fro which make it hard for say a DK or NB to hack away from behind.

That being said, I will also craft an all heavy armor set with all 9 traits this weekend and enchant it with Max Magicka glyphs to hit the cap. Idk what the Magicka cap is but if I can hit 40k+ with food then I'll be happy. I'll get this all going and take a screenshot next week or the week after and post it.
  • AverageJo3Gam3r
    AverageJo3Gam3r
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Run tavas favor and akaviri dragon guard with bloodspawn. Go pvp enough to get aggressive war horn. It is an ultimate that increases your entire groups critical damage by 40%. It is the single best buff in the game. Combined with reduced ultimate costs passives that sorcs have, you'll be able to have high uptime on warhorn which leads to faster clears.
    Edited by AverageJo3Gam3r on October 23, 2016 4:46AM
  • AverageJo3Gam3r
    AverageJo3Gam3r
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can try something like:
    1HS: ransack, ward, dark deal (the morph that restores stamina), defensive posture, bound armor, aggressive war horn

Back bar (1HS too): inner fire, encase, lightning form, shuffle, bound armor, one hand shield ultimate
  • xaraan
    xaraan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As JoeGamer said, you definitely should get Aggressive warhorn and sometimes find a way to use pierce armor as well as a taunt at times instead of just inner fire. Things that enable your DPS to do more damage and end fights sooner makes everyone's job easier.

I haven't used my sorc-tank as much as my other class tanks, but I've found that using magicka (as you seem to be doing) to perform most actions keeps my stam available for mostly blocking and taunting works best for every class in tanking. The only difference I've preferred is putting most points into stam to have the resourced stacked, and having most regen in magicka (more so than just having a large pool of magicka). Since you can't regen stam while blocking anyhow, having high stam regen isn't as beneficial as just being able to use dark deal when you need to or pick up a shard if available.

Everyone's play style is different, so I don't want to get into specifics as what I do might not work for you. But don't use the older (even veteran hard mode versions) dungeons to gage your effectiveness IMO. Most of those can be 3-manned without a tank or healer role filled (or any other 3-man combo). Use the newest vet hard mode dungeons or vDSA to gage it.
    -- @xaraan --
    nightblade: Xaraan templar: Xaraan-dar dragon-knight: Xaraanosaurus necromancer: Xaraan-qa warden: Xaraanodon sorcerer: Xaraan-ra
    AD • NA • PC
  • disintegr8
    disintegr8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Run tavas favor and akaviri dragon guard with bloodspawn. Go pvp enough to get aggressive war horn. It is an ultimate that increases your entire groups critical damage by 40%. It is the single best buff in the game. Combined with reduced ultimate costs passives that sorcs have, you'll be able to have high uptime on warhorn which leads to faster clears.
    I changed my stam DK tank to Tava's with the Bloodspawn monster set a couple of weeks ago and she is virtually indestructable. 5 heavy, 1 med, 1 light to get undaunted bonus, aggressive warhorn that I can use as much as 3 times in a boss fight (depending on the groups DPS) due to the high return of ultimate.

I use pierce armour on my main bar for aggro and inner fire on my back bar for distance aggro.
    Australian on PS4 NA server.
    Everyone's entitled to an opinion.