The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Suggestion! You need to put something in game to help newbie players out.

Soafee
Soafee
✭✭✭
I couldn't find a feedback forum so I thought I'd post here. I'm very new to ESO online and I have to say that this is the most un-user-friendly MMO I've ever played in my life. It's very hard for me to get started. From where to put my points into, or what skills to use that would help me the most leveling in the beginning. I'm constantly picking and choosing the wrong things. I've had to remake at least 5 characters, probably more. I got one to level 8 and accidentally took a port, or boat some place that put me on some mountain area that's way to high for my level. I have no idea how to get back to where I was and I tried just running back and end up dying over and over again. I don't even know where I am. Why was I even allowed to take the boat in the first place? I got one shot by a quest mob almost immediately. This is very frustrating. You have nothing in game to make sure that a new player doesn't screw themselves over...

I really want to enjoy this game. I've had it over a year now and every time I start out the same thing keeps happening. I lose interest and then the game gets deleted for months until I get bored and come back.

I'm constantly doing "accidents". I'm talking to an NPC and my daughter distracts me and I click too many times and oops, I'm sent half way across the world and have no idea how to go back.

The tutorial was nice for learning the basics of fighting but in a game where there is SO much more, like points and weapon skills and shards and shard morphing and character stuff and what does the stuff in the online store do, so on and on you have to have something in game that will hold my hand until I feel like I can play with out it. I shouldn't have to depend on the player base to help me because most of the time player interaction isn't always best and can be awful.

What does it mean when my shard can be morphed?? No clue. What's the best area to level in? No idea. What happens when I leave this area? Oh I can't go back? i didn't know that.. Restart.. Restart.. restart........... It's easier then trying to figure it out or get help in game, i'm already well over people's snarky remarks when I ask a question.
Today is a blessing. Yesterday is in the past and tomorrow is a mystery.
  • Jennifur_Vultee
    Jennifur_Vultee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Basic rule of thumb...
    If you're a magic user like a mage wear light armor.
    If you're a stamina DPS type like a nightblade wear medium armor.
    If you're a tank wear heavy armor.

Attribute points...if you're a stamina using assaisin Nightblade you want a lot of your attibutes in stamina maybe put some in health.
    If you're a magic user mage in a robe put most of the points in magic..maybe put a few in health.
    If you're a tank like say a Dragonknight tank I tend to put the bulk of my attibutes into health with some in either stamina or magic depending on if I'm a stanima or magic based tank.
    You don't want to spread your attibutes across all the Health, Magic and Stamina since your skills do more damage based on the attibute that powers them.

Don't worry about screwing up your skills or attibutes early on, ESO tosses skill points at you like candy and you can always reset them later to regain points spent on skills you don't like or don't work well for you.

If you find yourself someplace lost after taking a boat or being transported...find a Wayshrine, use the Wayshrine, left click the map until you can see the whole map, pick the shrine in your starting city..Vulkhel Guard for the Dominion, Daggerfall for the Daggerfall Covenent and Davon's Watch for the Ebonheart Pact...then just teleport to back your home city and adventure!

"What does it mean when my shard can be morphed?? No clue." I'm with you there. I've played ESO for three years and I have no idea what you're talking about. Morphing skills maybe? If you're talking about morphing skills then you get two choices on how you want the skill to morph...pick the one that works best for you. For example lets say you're playing a mage and the skill you want to morph has a choice that lets it use magic and the other lets it use stamina...you want the magic morph almost always.

If you play on PC send me a mail in game to @Jennifur_Vultee and I'll do what I can to try and help you if you have questions or just need a little assistance.
    Edited by Jennifur_Vultee on October 19, 2016 5:08AM
    "Whoever is careless with the truth in small matters cannot be trusted with important matters." – Albert Einstein

Treat a customer fairly and they will remember you. Treat a customer poorly and they never forget.

Imperial City: Zerg, gank or die.
  • Soafee
    Soafee
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the advice. I'm doing a lot better now, I started over for the last time. I bit the bullet and read some stuff about the game and I'm enjoying it like you wouldn't believe! I even spent some money and bought some crowns for some quality of life stuff like mount speed. I love how they scaled the game so I can go any where to level.

I was wrong in my assumption that getting lost would get me killed (it used to be like that when I tried playing a year ago.) scaling really made it enjoyable. The game isn't as frustrating as it used to be.
    Today is a blessing. Yesterday is in the past and tomorrow is a mystery.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't forget to look at the Help Menus, they do a good job of explaining things. Nothing in this game is hard to do if you know how to do it, the trick is sometimes, to figure out how to do something.

With regards to Wayshrines, you can port to any Guildmate, Friend or Groupmate by opening up the appropriate list, finding their name, and choosing to Travel to them. This type of travel is free.

Don't worry about Deaths, you get ported to a wayshrine if you choose that option, and the repair costs for death are less than a wayshrine fee, like 1/3 the cost. So, suicide is a legitimate way to get ported to a place of safety.

Combat in this game is down to your skill rotations. Choose the rotation with skills that feed on each other or buff each other. Once you figure that out, then learn to weave in Light or Heavy attacks between skills to better manage your resources

Finally, the key to combat is to be Mobile, Agile and Hostile. Move around, attack from a position of advantage. Learn to Block and Bash (bash can interrupt a caster and stun them so you can attack them with with more damage) and dodge roll. Since you know MMO's then you know to stay out of Red so if you see that get out of it anyway you can before you continue the fight.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• AlexDaedric
    I find a lot of MMO's to be confusing with the sheer amount of information, ambiguous skills, and game mechanics all thrown at you at once. I never really know what's useful to me and what isn't.

I ended up just picking skills I thought were cool or sounded useful and made the best of it . Regular enemies I eventually found a pattern of abilities that would quickly dispatch them, but those with Unique names (Bosses) I quickly learned needed more than one player to take down, so I usually hang about collecting crafting materials until a fellow player storms in and helps out.

I found it best to stick to one area, taking on quests and slowly exploring the region, becoming more familiar with the game, and bettering myself.

Some people may think it detracts from the joy of exploration and overall experience but personally I like having a completed map of the area up on my laptop to show me where interesting things are, so i have a set path and aren't wandering aimlessly, as well as a list of quests so that I don't miss anything.

It might also be useful to note that certain NPCs can be spoken to and give information regarding things like crafting and Story, so you know what you're getting into.