The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8100050/#Comment_8100050

Why not make all crafting level with character?

Grimtooth
Grimtooth
✭✭✭
I ran in to a problem when using the Crow Caller, I leveled up so fast that now I can't make armor to match my character. This happens also when using experience scrolls. So make all crafting to level up as the character levels up.

Best Answers

• Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Grimtooth wrote: »
    I ran in to a problem when using the Crow Caller, I leveled up so fast that now I can't make armor to match my character. This happens also when using experience scrolls. So make all crafting to level up as the character levels up.

However, the proper thing to be doing is playing Witches Festival in a zone that drops the set armor you want. This is what I have been doing. By rotating between delves, dolmens, world bosses, and dungeons, you can get set armor so frequently that it will incrementally level up with you. Just toss or deconstruct the old stuff.

Do it fast, though. It is much easier to do this when there are a few people around. As this event ages, fewer people will be out there in the world, which means longer Time To Kill and possibly denying certain bosses to you, if you are unable to kill them.

Leveling crafting is so last update. Even if the crafted sets are better than dropped, the dropped sets are really the answer while leveling.

P.S. - I am expecting that they will eventually finish the nerf to crafting and make it so that you only craft the level you are. I mean, why would anyone be crafting above or below their character level? Duh. I dunno what they are going to do with all the skill points, but maybe they can add them to housing, or something.
    Edited by Elsonso on October 17, 2016 12:21PM
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
    Answer ✓
  • DPG76
    DPG76
    ✭✭✭
    it's annoying i know , material crafting ip doesn't level easily as some may suggest it took me also the time i level to 50 and had it on par all the way with my level because i didn't boosted my xp with a scroll back at then .
    ask some guildies if they can give you the intricitate trait pieces to decon , that's the only boost you can do
    Answer ✓
  • DPG76
    DPG76
    ✭✭✭
    @DeepPlayGamer thanks. I've only had one bad experience after another with guilds to the point I won't join another one.

Oeps.. i know some people even sell them at guild traders (intricate trash items)
    Also if your on ps4 EU i'd gladly mail you daily the one's i get ;)
    Answer ✓
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ Lordrichter, even though I've been playing since the beta with this game I still don't talk gamer. Meaning mostly I don't understand why gamers call things what they do. None the less, that's on me I guess. When you talk about dropped sets, are these the items that are not found in or made at a hidden crafting station? If so, I've never come across a full set of one that benefited me in any way. And, deconstructing them never has given my crafting a boost more than anything else has. One thing that I do get from these talks with people like you and redspecter23 is I feel as though I'm playing a completely different game and I don't know why. I read every thing I can, watch videos, get with others playing. Yet my experience with this game is so different. Guess I need to get rid of this black cloud over my head.

@Grimtooth

One Tamriel introduces 30 (?) new complete sets, three per zone in Light, Medium, and Heavy. They all have different properties, which means that playing in the correct zone will get you set armor that will work well with your character.

Each set drops in each Alliance, so the same sets will drop in one of the AD, DC, and EP zones. It is just necessary to get to those zones and spend time in them.

If you don't want to do that, you get whatever the zone provides. These will not be bad, but they might boost Stamina when you want to boost Magicka. They will still provide armor, and at the character level, which is better than nothing. They are easily replaced, over time, as more set pieces are dropped.

These drop from bosses and dolmens (Dark Anchors), mostly, but there are chances to get the set items from chests and regular monsters that are killed. They cannot be crafted.

It is important to note that different set pieces drop in different places. You get jewelry from Dark Anchors. You get belts and shoes from Delve bosses, etc. Treasure chests and random mobs will drop anything from that zone. Really explore and partake fully in whatever the zone has to offer. It may be necessary to repeat content, as drops are random.

If you want to build crafting, deconstruct everything you don't need. Equipment crafting will passively build, even though you are not using it. I have some high level crafters in things they have never crafted, and probably never will. It takes longer, and really depends on what you find fun. Personally, I think writs are too weak, and I was never one for force leveling equipment crafting.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
    Answer ✓
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Nirn Problems
  • Grimtooth
    Grimtooth
    ✭✭✭
    What do you mean?
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What you describe isn't actually a problem that most people care about. It's only an issue due to the huge bonus you are getting from the event. In addition to that, you can force level your crafting VERY easily once you are a higher level. Higher level trash gear will decon for more xp. Just keep deconstructing gear that you find and you will catch up in no time. Thirdly, you don't comprehend the dev time required or the extreme lack of balance that your suggestion would mean. You haven't thoroughly thought it through and are asking for a change that is unnecessary, unwanted and unbalancing.
  • Grimtooth
    Grimtooth
    ✭✭✭
    What I don't comprehend is your answer. How in anyway would this make the game unbalanced? Also I spent an entire day doing what you suggested in deconstructing everything I could get my hands on and my (Blacksmithing) didn't go up one level. That was even deconstructing very high level weapons and armor. That works for stuff like (Provisioning) and (Alchemy) that goes up easily. But, not for (Blacksmithing). And, it does somewhat for (Clothing) and (Woodworking). While (Enchanting) is a real bear. How can you also say unnecessary? Of course it's necessary, especially when it comes to Cyrodiil. You run around in there with gear 10 or more levels below you and you won't be around long, even if your in a large group. Unwanted? Are kidding, people on here, on the FB site and in game are talking about it all the time.
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Many players can level a toon in under 5 hours and possibly faster with an xp boost like we have now. This completely invalidates the entire crafting system and renders it pointless if your crafting level goes up with player level. You'd never need to decon anything ever. Just level up and bypass it all.

Just get yourself to level 50 and start deconstructing everything you find. You will be just fine in no time. I have 12 toons, each with 50 in all crafts. It's a bit of an extreme example but it's not out of reach. You can level one toon up in the crafts without having to adjust the system for everyone else.

If you're on pc/na, let me know your @name and I'll power level you up through some crafts to help out.
    Edited by redspecter23 on October 17, 2016 12:17PM
  • Grimtooth
    Grimtooth
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with the extreme example part. But, I did what you are saying for 12 straight hours yesterday and my Blacksmithing didn't go up one level. You would also still need to decon to get tempering alloys. That makes your comment moot. The experience boost only kicked up level but didn't help with anything else.
  • Grimtooth
    Grimtooth
    ✭✭✭
    @ Lordrichter, even though I've been playing since the beta with this game I still don't talk gamer. Meaning mostly I don't understand why gamers call things what they do. None the less, that's on me I guess. When you talk about dropped sets, are these the items that are not found in or made at a hidden crafting station? If so, I've never come across a full set of one that benefited me in any way. And, deconstructing them never has given my crafting a boost more than anything else has. One thing that I do get from these talks with people like you and redspecter23 is I feel as though I'm playing a completely different game and I don't know why. I read every thing I can, watch videos, get with others playing. Yet my experience with this game is so different. Guess I need to get rid of this black cloud over my head.
  • Grimtooth
    Grimtooth
    ✭✭✭
    @DeepPlayGamer thanks. I've only had one bad experience after another with guilds to the point I won't join another one.
  • Grimtooth
    Grimtooth
    ✭✭✭
    @DeepPlayGamer I'm on PC and Xbox1 both NA and EU, though I haven't played on my XB1 in a while. But, thanks anyway.
  • Grimtooth
    Grimtooth
    ✭✭✭
    @redspecter23 Thanks, but the character in question is on the EU-PC and I want to do stuff like this on my own otherwise I don't get any better. But advise, good advise is priceless.
  • Grimtooth
    Grimtooth
    ✭✭✭
    @lordrichter In all of more than two years now, I have never had a Boss or Dolmen ever give me anything other than junk. Or you know soul gems, gold, glass ore stuff like that but never weapons or armor. I am getting totally screwed and would explain why other people are getting stuff that I've never seen.
  • Moltyr
    Moltyr
    ✭✭✭

No.
  • Bryanonymous
    Bryanonymous
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought this was going to be about random nodes, and I was thinking it sounds like a good idea.
  • Tevalaur
    Tevalaur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @lordrichter In all of more than two years now, I have never had a Boss or Dolmen ever give me anything other than junk. Or you know soul gems, gold, glass ore stuff like that but never weapons or armor. I am getting totally screwed and would explain why other people are getting stuff that I've never seen.

@Grimtooth This is a change with the arrival of One Tamriel (you might want to actually read release notes, especially on major updates). Dolmen bosses used to give essentially junk or maybe the soul-shriven style item, but now give set items. Just go do them, you'll see it's different now as @lordrichter suggested.
    Edited by Tevalaur on October 24, 2016 5:29PM
    Is Uncle John's band calling you? Do you daydream about Sugar Magnolias? Is your favorite sunflower a China Cat? Tired of Truckin' alone to Terrapin Station? If so, share some Space with other hippies & deadheads in the guild Sunshine Daydream! Send a message in game (PC-NA) to Kaibeth for your invitation.
  • xaraan
    xaraan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's not what crafting is all about to me, it should take a little bit of work (and it takes a lot less now than it used to). The fact that you grind up in levels doesn't mean you should just automatically not have to do that work for crafting. Also, if you break down the gear you pick up you'll end up getting your crafting up fairly high anyhow, not to mention with all the new drop sets you don't need crafting to have a decent build for content.
    -- @xaraan --
    nightblade: Xaraan templar: Xaraan-dar dragon-knight: Xaraanosaurus necromancer: Xaraan-qa warden: Xaraanodon sorcerer: Xaraan-ra
    AD • NA • PC
  • dead_goon
    dead_goon
    ✭✭
    I agree with the extreme example part. But, I did what you are saying for 12 straight hours yesterday and my Blacksmithing didn't go up one level. You would also still need to decon to get tempering alloys. That makes your comment moot. The experience boost only kicked up level but didn't help with anything else.

I believe there is such a thing as deconstructing too high of a level and that's why it isn't moving much. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong...

• Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    dead_goon wrote: »

I believe there is such a thing as deconstructing too high of a level and that's why it isn't moving much. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong...

Inspiration works in kind of the opposite way (no worries if you didn't know :wink: ). The higher level of gear that you decon the better inspiration ... which leads to faster improvement in the skill. Trash gear looted from dungeon mobs on my vet characters gets put in the bank for my non-vet characters to deconstruct ... because the gear itself is CP160.

@Grimtooth's claim that he spent "12 straight hours" farming and deconstructing heavy armor and weapons could be true. If his blacksmithing level is higher (level 40-50), but is still deconstructing that level of gear or lower, the inspiration needle isn't going to move as much as it would deconstructing CP (over level 50) gear.

Also, not related to the OP's predicament but worth mentioning: There are other ways to earn inspiration for the crafting skills other than decon of equipment (such as doing the daily crafting writs and refining raw materials).

All that said, I don't support the OP's idea.

As @redspecter23 said, leveling up crafting the same as levels would bypass a lot of the crafting system. That might be music to non-crafters ears. But, for those of us who have spent the time, skill points, research, gathering motifs, etc. to become skilled at our trade ... that kind of change would be unwelcome.

Edited by Taleof2Cities on October 24, 2016 10:45PM
  • SaRuZ
    SaRuZ
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I waited until level 50 to even touch Blacksmithing and I have it up to lvl 45 with half of traits researched. I haven't even crafted my own armor set. I am waiting to do so when I am 160 CP(158 right now) and have all traits and can craft the best armor for my build. I have been Motif hunting aswell. It feels much more rewarding this way, a much better pay off then just crafting mediocre gear when you can loot sets that have wayyy better stats than crafted ones. I did craft a hollowjack set for my wife. I'm going to craft her a Daedric set with all training trait pieces since she is now lvl 31. It's been quite a run(a month now) There's no easy way and if it leveled with your character it would be pointless and nothing to seperate uber crafters from other players. It can be quite profitable too. When I have all the motifs and traits researched I can craft anything and make some decent gold.
    Edited by SaRuZ on October 27, 2016 9:02AM
  • bryanhaas
    bryanhaas
    ✭✭✭✭

The only slow crafting line would be provisioning. Deconning max max level everything else and making potions will level all of that very quickly. Just spend some time and your crafting will be leveled.
    PS4 NA AD GM formerly known as GM of "The Children of the Void"

9 trait crafter I do all the things (Yes I mean ALL the things ;0).

Price list: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1FTV7ACtmEpQQwsEiHVcrBxC0zKaj6LKvc3An7dGG2t0/edit?usp=sharing
    Youtube: MaulochBaal https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRav05_8nWGvlTrfBBefaEw/featured
  • Lacerator3
    What I don't comprehend is your answer. How in anyway would this make the game unbalanced? Also I spent an entire day doing what you suggested in deconstructing everything I could get my hands on and my (Blacksmithing) didn't go up one level. That was even deconstructing very high level weapons and armor. That works for stuff like (Provisioning) and (Alchemy) that goes up easily. But, not for (Blacksmithing). And, it does somewhat for (Clothing) and (Woodworking). While (Enchanting) is a real bear. How can you also say unnecessary? Of course it's necessary, especially when it comes to Cyrodiil. You run around in there with gear 10 or more levels below you and you won't be around long, even if your in a large group. Unwanted? Are kidding, people on here, on the FB site and in game are talking about it all the time.

That's strange, I got my blacksmith from 38-50 since farming plunder skulls. I even got my enchanting to go up 4-5 levels from the glyph drops on farming runs. Not sure why it's taking so long for you. :(
    Edited by Lacerator3 on October 27, 2016 11:54PM
  • Sigtric
    Sigtric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I leveled blacksmithing, clothing and woodworking on my newest character from 1 to 50 in the first 4 days of Witch's Festival, just by deconning all the drops I got farming Witch's Festival...

Stormproof: Vibeke - 50 EP mDragonknight | Savi Dreloth - 50 EP Magsorc | Sadi Dreloth - 50 EP Magblade | Sigtric Stormaxe - 50 EP Stamsorc | Valora Dreloth - 50 EP Magplar | Sigtric the Unbearable 50 EP Stam Warden
    Scrub: Chews-on-Beavers - 50 EP DK Tank | Vera the Wild - 50 EP magicka Warden | Sigtric the Axe - 50 EP Dragonknight Crafter | Sigtric the Blade - 50 EP Lost Nightblade | Sigtric the Savage - 50 EP magicka Templar | Vibeka Shadowblade - 50 Ep Stealthy Ganky Nightblade |

Show Me Your Dunmer
    [/center]
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    @lordrichter In all of more than two years now, I have never had a Boss or Dolmen ever give me anything other than junk.

Then you have not done dolmens or Bosses since One Tamriel went live.
    bryanhaas wrote: »
    The only slow crafting line would be provisioning. .

Seriously?!?!?

Anyone with a few recipes and a Crafting bag can max provisioning in under an hour.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • Grimtooth
    Grimtooth
    ✭✭✭
    @newtinmpls I've been doing Dolmens and Boss' like a madman since T1 and all I get is recipes and junk. No gear.
    @Sigtric I've been doing the Witch's Festival, no gear from Plunder Skull's. Just junk and recipes.
    @Tevalaur Not getting any set items from Dolmens or Boss'. Just junk and recipes.
  • Sigtric
    Sigtric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @newtinmpls I've been doing Dolmens and Boss' like a madman since T1 and all I get is recipes and junk. No gear.
    @Sigtric I've been doing the Witch's Festival, no gear from Plunder Skull's. Just junk and recipes.
    @Tevalaur Not getting any set items from Dolmens or Boss'. Just junk and recipes.

@Grimtooth not from the skulls themselves, but the other loot that drops while farming for them.

I primarily farmed dolmens (got all of the non-location based achievements during this time as well) and the amount of loot dropped from dolmen mobs and bosses and other mobs in the immediate area was insane.

Much was sold to vendor when I couldn't be bothered to take the time to decon.

Stormproof: Vibeke - 50 EP mDragonknight | Savi Dreloth - 50 EP Magsorc | Sadi Dreloth - 50 EP Magblade | Sigtric Stormaxe - 50 EP Stamsorc | Valora Dreloth - 50 EP Magplar | Sigtric the Unbearable 50 EP Stam Warden
    Scrub: Chews-on-Beavers - 50 EP DK Tank | Vera the Wild - 50 EP magicka Warden | Sigtric the Axe - 50 EP Dragonknight Crafter | Sigtric the Blade - 50 EP Lost Nightblade | Sigtric the Savage - 50 EP magicka Templar | Vibeka Shadowblade - 50 Ep Stealthy Ganky Nightblade |

Show Me Your Dunmer
    [/center]
  • Grimtooth
    Grimtooth
    ✭✭✭
    @Sigtric That's what I've been doing also and I'm getting nothing but junk. Same achievements, running around doing the same thing but getting nothing. So far I've hit somewhere around 54 Dolmens & Boss' and/or repeats and have got zip. The only ones I haven't done are in Craglorn. Even Cyrodiil with a group doing the same thing, people in my group are saying I got this and this. While I get nothing but junk. How can they get stuff of value from the same Boss and chest and I get crap?
  • Sigtric
    Sigtric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What exactly is this 'junk' you are getting?

It's all those white/green/blue un-named weapons and armor that I deconstructed to level up crafting

Show Me Your Dunmer
    [/center]