Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

The Crafting skills lines are getting left behind :(

• STEVIL
    STEVIL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    STEVIL wrote: »
    Honestly I think its as simple as this:

Jewelry crafting (we agree)

Give 9 Trait crafters the ability to add an additional 5pc bonus to the crafted set or to allow 9 trait crafters to extend the crafted set up to 7pc bonuses (which would then have to make the 6 and 7 pc as good or better than monster helms)

Reorganize the set trait requirements to make 1-5 traits great for leveling, 6-7 traits are niche builds, 8-9 traits are equivalent to the BiS Dungeon gear (I can agree to Trials and Arenas having uniquely powerful gear)

Under crafted sets are redone to remove the redundancies between crafted sets, and to make them worthwhile (best example is Oblivion's foe, really it only affects 1 spell? ::gasp::)

Well vamp lord affects two?

But just to be clear with what you describe... what definition os "simple" are you using?

Vamp lord affects all 3 active skills for vampire, but Vampire is a strong skill line (esp bats), soul magic skills are weak as hell. Double a low DPS skill doesn't make it great.

Simple for me is that I think it wouldn't take a great adjustment in core game mechanics.

yeah i was focusing on the damage part of the vamp - only two of the three do damage but the cost drop affects all three.

Simple for me includes the amount of change to the design process and the overall challenge to balance. Adding second 5pc bonuses, adding 7 pc sets - those are two major fundamental changes to power level and code that are to me far from simple. By contrast losing a lower tier cap on mats or even allowing changing of a 2-3-4 bonus for one of the others is much more contained while allowing modest improvements to many sets. Code is easy, risk is small.

Sure the mechanics from the user perspective are simple, but the impact is huge in code and play.

I mean, from mechanics standpoint adding flying is "simple" but in every other aspect its ginormous.
    Proudly skooma free while talks-when-drunk is in mandatory public housing.
    YFMV Your Fun May Vary.

First Law of Nerf-o-Dynamics
    "The good way I used to get good kills *with good skill* was good but the way others kill me now is bad."

• Mush55
    Mush55
    ✭✭✭✭
    Crafting not worth it now only set of any use is TBS now.....
  • Mike0987
    Mike0987
    ✭✭✭
    Especially when you consider a single purple motif in the newer styles on PS4 are going for 100-300k per page. It'll take me 5 years of selling gear at a low ball prices to pay that off. Too bad the drop rate is like 1 in 100 quests and no bonus for doing the quest on a master crafter. I guess ESO will have to do without the gear ever being made.
  • haplo73_ESO
    haplo73_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    I agree. I tell everyone, especially new players, that crafting is a waste of skill points and time.. especially the time. I put in months and months of research, for what? Crafted sets are a joke compared to drops. Some of the easiest to learn are/were the most used crafted sets.

ZOS: Some people love crafting. The sets should match the time and dedication put into learning them.

You don't know how many new players you have disappointed - or long time players frustrated with this. And some have quit because they don't want a game that is simply a grind; there are many other games out there like that.. a great many.

Players learn that it is a grind to get good gear, instead of being rewarded for being a dedicated player that spent many months or years getting crafting maxed.

REPLY TO THIS POST! and hope this listen... :neutral:
  • Aneca
    Aneca
    ✭✭
    One of my first objectives in any MMO I play is to max out my crafters. My primary goal is to be as self-sufficient as possible, but it is also something I enjoy doing.

It seems that when designing a game, developers put a lot of thought into their crafting system but once the game is released and begins to age, crafting takes a back seat to other aspects of the game. While I agree that new content and bug fixes may be more important than a new motif, I also believe that all of a game's selling points (which include the crafting system) should be given equal attention, relatively speaking.

Unfortunately, this does not seem happen. Somewhere along the line, the developers' attention to crafting gets diverted and that particular pastime becomes less relevant to the game and progress as a crafter comes to a halt. This is not exclusive to ESO, the importance of crafting declines in other games as well.

When that happens, it takes a lot of enjoyment and motivation out of the game for me.
  • White wabbit
    White wabbit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yep have finished researching 9 traits awhile back and now have nothing to do on that front , which is a bit boring as I actually enjoyed trying to find all the pieces to research , yep I know sad of me
  • Asmael
    Asmael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Crafted sets that see an endgame use:
    • Tava's Favor : BiS option for PvE tanks, great options for PvP DKs.
    • Night Mother's Gaze : Requirement for stamina-focused PvE raids
    • Law of Julianos : Most reliable source of raw damage for magicka builds*
    • Clever Alchemist : Potent PvP set for burst
    • Twice Born Star : Best option for PvE DDs (esp. Stamina) asking for an extra health bonus on top of the damage
    • Eternal Hunt : Potent PvP with quite possibly the highest kiting potential for a stam set

* On Julianos
    Taking Scathing Mage, Twice Born Star, Burning Spell Weave and Mother's Sorrow into account:
    1. Scathing requires constant rotation to keep a decent uptime
    2. Twice Born Star relies on Major Force
    3. Burning Spell Weave relies on fire damage
    4. Mother's Sorrow requires high base (non-crit) stats - Max magicka and Spell power

Julianos is the most reliable set when it comes to vMA, since it comes without conditions, it works best when you're providing your own defense and can't guarantee a good uptime on specific sets (Scathing and BSW) or specific buffs (TBS).

Crafted food, glyphs and potions / poisons are the strongest available.

Not commenting on writs, since I don't have the time to complete those.

Crafting definitely sees a competitive use, but there is a pretty good reason to complain: motifs, and the lack of restyling, which makes new motifs either irrelevant or an absolutely huge gold sink for only cosmetic effects, as well as Snakeblood (last Alchemy passive), probably the most useless passive in existence.
    PC EU - Zahraji of the Void, aka "Kitty", the fluffiest salmon genocider in town.
    Poke @AsmaeI (last letter is uppercase "i") on PC EU or Asmael#9325 on Discord and receive a meow today.
  • White wabbit
    White wabbit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Asmael wrote: »
    Crafted sets that see an endgame use:
    • Tava's Favor : BiS option for PvE tanks, great options for PvP DKs.
    • Night Mother's Gaze : Requirement for stamina-focused PvE raids
    • Law of Julianos : Most reliable source of raw damage for magicka builds*
    • Clever Alchemist : Potent PvP set for burst
    • Twice Born Star : Best option for PvE DDs (esp. Stamina) asking for an extra health bonus on top of the damage
    • Eternal Hunt : Potent PvP with quite possibly the highest kiting potential for a stam set

* On Julianos
    Taking Scathing Mage, Twice Born Star, Burning Spell Weave and Mother's Sorrow into account:
    1. Scathing requires constant rotation to keep a decent uptime
    2. Twice Born Star relies on Major Force
    3. Burning Spell Weave relies on fire damage
    4. Mother's Sorrow requires high base (non-crit) stats - Max magicka and Spell power

Julianos is the most reliable set when it comes to vMA, since it comes without conditions, it works best when you're providing your own defense and can't guarantee a good uptime on specific sets (Scathing and BSW) or specific buffs (TBS).

Crafted food, glyphs and potions / poisons are the strongest available.

Not commenting on writs, since I don't have the time to complete those.

Crafting definitely sees a competitive use, but there is a pretty good reason to complain: motifs, and the lack of restyling, which makes new motifs either irrelevant or an absolutely huge gold sink for only cosmetic effects, as well as Snakeblood (last Alchemy passive), probably the most useless passive in existence.

So 6 sets out of 35 competitive hmmm
  • Chickenstein
    Chickenstein
    ✭✭✭✭
    So 6 sets out of 35 competitive hmmm

To be fair:
    • there are more useful ones than those listed (Armor Master, e.g.)
    • it's plainly cheaper for casual players who can't amass enough money for BIS items going for "second best, but available" options
    • even more of them are useful for specific tasks (Nights Silence, e.g.)
    • the quota for great dropped armor is not quite 100% either :wink:

But generally, I'd agree, crafting is left behind. Best thing you see it at (different thread though) are the changes to writs which has not been thought through IMHO (and definitely not been tested for balance).
    Orc Harvester: It's about picking flowers and smashing things
  • agegarton
    agegarton
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Great to see that I'm not alone! Or not great, if you know what I mean ;-)

The only thing I would add is that I am seeing a lot of the "elite" players moving away from the "good" sets like Julianos and TBS simply because some of the new One Tamriel sets - and even some of the older sets that saw a buff with the last update - are both genuinely better in slot, and offer jewellery too. If you can grind one of those up in purple - or even gold - you've saved a fortune in mats and got a better set, in any configuration you want.
  • STEVIL
    STEVIL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    i see repeated comments about julianos and tava and tbs but... when i see threads about Op stuff anf stuff thats killing folks... it just isn't about these.

Where crafted shine is availability... after you get the traits you can have plenty if you get the mats. But some of the sets like black rose, tremorscale, vipers take a bit longer to get your hands on so... i am not surprised to see MORE of the crafted sets in play for a while.

But the equip crafting vs equip drops took a temporary setback in 1T - though i love the new order - and simply put i anxiously await the conversion/upgrade for equipment crafting to fit the 1T world model.

Proudly skooma free while talks-when-drunk is in mandatory public housing.
    YFMV Your Fun May Vary.

First Law of Nerf-o-Dynamics
    "The good way I used to get good kills *with good skill* was good but the way others kill me now is bad."