Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Insight on my Pelinal's numbers, please

Doomslinger781
Doomslinger781
✭✭✭
Thanks in advance for the insight:

I decided I wanted to try something different as a tank - I like hybrids, using all my character's skills, and doing something different - so I built a tank set using Pelinal's Aptitude. Now I know; it's not the meta, and I'm fine with that, but I'll go ahead and get the insults out of the way: "noob! scrublord! filthy casual, go back to normal dungeons! Instead of worrying about your crap build, just go get Tava's" - check check.

On to my point: the 5-piece grants a match of weapon damage or spell damage, whatever is greater. With the 5-piece equipped, mine both sit at 1256, however; when I take my helmet off (losing the 5-piece bonus), my spell damage only drops to about 1134. I expected a much more significant drop, because I don't have any points in magika in the attributes, and no extra magika from equipment or enchantments.

A quick breakdown:

Attributes: all health (64)
Max Magika: ~8900
Max Stamina: ~15800
Armor Enchantments: all 100% max stamina
Weapon Dmg: 1256 (with or without Pelinal's 5-piece)
Spell Dmg: 1134 (without Pelinal's 5-piece)

My question is, where is all that spell damage coming from? I was under the impression that weapon damage scaled off of max stamina, and spell damage scaled off of max magika, so I'm wondering why the values are so close even after such a large disparity between my max stamina/magika. Things like my weapon traits (all defending), and my champion point investments (primarily a mix of defensive, regen, and a near-even split for weapon/spell crit) don't seem like they have much bearing or disparity around stam/mag damage.

So in general,

Why is my max weapon damage and max spell damage already so close to each other when I haven't invested anything in magika?

I play an Imperial Templar; do different classes have some sort of innate propensity for certain damage types?

Again, thanks for your insight

Templar: Duncan Castlehoff (main)
Sorc: Sabine Lumoria
DK: Auderlant
NB: Yggmeena
Templar: Mukambei
DK: Stegmon
Sorc: Gruze Von Kruger
NB: Gnarl Ballin
  • ClockworkArc
    ClockworkArc
    ✭✭✭
    Max Mag and Stam contribute to your tooltip damage (on your abilities) but not to your Spell or Weapon Damage.

Your weapons contribute both spell and weapon damage to your character. 1134 sounds like its the strength of your weapon.

• Warraxx
    Warraxx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    um, because both dmg stats are really low...
  • Doomslinger781
    Doomslinger781
    ✭✭✭
    Max Mag and Stam contribute to your tooltip damage (on your abilities) but not to your Spell or Weapon Damage.

Your weapons contribute both spell and weapon damage to your character. 1134 sounds like its the strength of your weapon.

Ah, I see. I thought tooltip damage and weapon/spell damage were in direct correlation, and max stam/mag applied to both of them.

Thank you for this
    Templar: Duncan Castlehoff (main)
    Sorc: Sabine Lumoria
    DK: Auderlant
    NB: Yggmeena
    Templar: Mukambei
    DK: Stegmon
    Sorc: Gruze Von Kruger
    NB: Gnarl Ballin