Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Magicka Templars still good in PvE questing, considering magicka changes and One Tamerial?

Kamatsu
Kamatsu
✭✭✭✭
I recently felt the urge to play ESO again, but am concerned about how I will fair after seeing how things have changed - with magicka skills/stats/etc apparently having been nerfed, and my 1 and only character of any level is a Magicka Templar. Also seeing post's about how One Tamerial has made life harder for those who have not hit 160+ CP yet... and I only have around 70 CP on my account.

When I rolled my toon Magicka Templar was the 'go to' option to be able to self-sustain PvE questing, doing Delve's solo and get through the main PvE content without constant dying - due to healing jabs, healing skill line, and eventually CP's which boosted both. So now I'm wondering - is this still the case? Are Magicka Templar's still king for casual PvE quester's like me, who want to quest without dying fairly regularly? Not concerned about being able to solo normal/vet dungeons or anything like that.

Considering I am not a good player, have handicap which makes me eye-to-hand co-ordination and reflex's quite bad... ie I can not reliable dodge out of things all the time because of reaction ability/time. I can sometimes get a dodge to work, but not always. I always try and move/dodge out of red circles/squares/lines/etc whenever I can. This all does mean any class/weapon/etc that relies heavily on dodge-dodge to survive is usually not good for me... which is why I love my Magicka Templar... stand and jab, casting self-heling as needed and generally not worry about dodging.

My other thought is I feel like starting a new character, because it's been awhile since I played and thought maybe of experiencing the story from the start again. But this would mean having to do 1-50 again rather than getting more CP. But since I'd constantly get xp from mobs as well as quest's, rather than getting nothing from mobs for half a zone each zone due to out-leveling things like previously, I'd likely get to 50 and start getting xp for CP sooner.

Current toon is a Breton Magicka Templar, but not 100% happy with the character's looks. Only problem for me is the race which I prefer favors Stamina builds... I like Wood Elves, but WE racials are stealth & stamina related, while Breton's works well with Magicka Templar's. I know I could always go 2-handed for it's heal, but I also dislike the way they get held. And I don't have the PvP ranks for the PvP heal ability... and tend to avoid PvP as that requires fast reflex's and reactions. Guess I could always get on a weekend and join a zerg and try and hide my ineptitude in amongst the herd :)

So in a nutshell, considering changes in past few months to Magicka and One Tamriel:

- Is Magicka Templar still a good/great option for PvE solo questing, exploring maps and possibly doing Delve's?
- Any other possibility that doesn't heavily rely on dodging (due to player problems, not class/game related)?
- Would I suffer badly by rolling a new toon, to re-do the full story from the start (rather than pick up wherever I'd left my current toon)
- For PvE storyline, Delve's, etc and not 'endgame' stuff, are Racials all that important? IE Would a Wood Elde Magicka Templar be able to get through all three alliances stories without a terrible struggle (for instance)?
- What class and stamina/magicka would work well with Wood Elves? (self-sustain, easy to use and not reliant on dodging)

Thank you in advance.
o_O
  • Wolfhammer
    Wolfhammer
    ✭✭✭
    Stick with Magika Temp, sounds perfect for you..

Also you cannot out-level anything these days since 1 Tam rolled out last week. You and the zone you are in are all equalised to lvl 50 CP160 so all content in all zones will be relevant..

And yes you can go to any alliance zone at any time now...
    Edited by Wolfhammer on October 13, 2016 11:22AM
    Wolfhammer - Templar serving the Alith guild on EU
  • Dasovaruilos
    Dasovaruilos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For questing, I don't think anything is easier than a Magicka Templar...

The main attack heals a LOT, is great both single target and funnel AoE, and you have the most powerful burst heal in the game for emergencies. Also, one of the best AoE that stuns and is ranged.

You can quest everything with about three or four skills (main Jabs, AoE Spears, a gap closer, heal Breath of Life), five if you want an execute (Radiant Oppression).

I have a healer Templar that I use for questing and I don't dodge a lot because I have very low stamina. As long as you keep the jabs up and have Breath of Life ready to go, it is a piece of cake.
  • Kamatsu
    Kamatsu
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you for the replies. I am glad to hear that Magicka Templar is still the easy-to-use route, it's why I went with it in the first place. While I haven't played in awhile, I had checked the forums now and again - and was concerned considering complaints I'd seen regarding magicka changes, and the One Tamrial changes as well (regarding normal mobs/quyests suddenly becoming too hard for people).

Racials only really important for people trying to min/max, get best times in endgame dungeons and such right? So even if the racials favor stamina, a magicka based class would still work for doing the 3 alliance storylines, Craiglorn & the main story?

Considering can get 100% xp boost with current event, now might be perfect time to start anew :)
    o_O
  • Dasovaruilos
    Dasovaruilos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kamatsu wrote: »
    Thank you for the replies. I am glad to hear that Magicka Templar is still the easy-to-use route, it's why I went with it in the first place. While I haven't played in awhile, I had checked the forums now and again - and was concerned considering complaints I'd seen regarding magicka changes, and the One Tamrial changes as well (regarding normal mobs/quyests suddenly becoming too hard for people).

Racials only really important for people trying to min/max, get best times in endgame dungeons and such right? So even if the racials favor stamina, a magicka based class would still work for doing the 3 alliance storylines, Craiglorn & the main story?

Considering can get 100% xp boost with current event, now might be perfect time to start anew :)

Yeah, but I think the MagPlar is the exception to those complains. I think they are more related to MagBlades, MagDKs and even some MagSorcerer builds.

Regarding Racials, you can basically go which way you want, but it is better not to choose a class that only has passives on stamina or weapon if you are going to be Magicka. It will make a little bit of difference, but I don't think that is a big deal for the Solo part of ESO. As I said, MagPlar has basically everything needed to deal damage, control crows and survive in the class abilities.

You'll just have a little bit less magicka and/or magicka regen if you go with a stamina based race.
  • gel214thb14_ESO
    gel214thb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Magicka Templar is good, but for solo PVE I am having a hard time seeing a better choice than a Summoner Sorcerer.

You can wreck things with just one bar really. Lightning spells including the lightning AOE spell, Crystal Fragments then the two summons.

You don't need another heal, because the Clannfear (sp?) heals you everytime you click it. Then you can morph the flying summon to heal you as well. So you have a heal that's not as good as the Templar, but it's quite strong and available instantly.

You can mix things up for those first three slots depending on what you want to do, the drawback is the need to have those pets on both bars.

If you are fighting a single boss? Perfect...that's just food for you because the boss will focus on the Clannfear and you just sit back , cast that AOE pool of lightning goodness at his feet, and then plink away with your lightning bolts from the heavens. Mix in some heavy attacks to get your Magicka back and repeat.

It's beautiful. And your little Matriarch is at your side spitting lightning bolts as well. It's just crrrrraaaazy blue electric goodness ^_^

Course it takes a bit to get there, because you need the Morphs for the Familiars but that doesn't take too long.