The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

The Dark Anchor Generals Myth

SheepdogPaladin
SheepdogPaladin
✭✭✭
Till this very day, some players actually believe in the following myth and they will literally get angry if you don't play along:

MYTH: Always wait to destroy all four anchor pinions at the dolmens (dark anchors) until all waves of mobs are killed first. Doing so will increase the chance of a general to spawn.

Ladies and gentlemen, this has always been a myth and I present official evidence from ZOS:

https://www.twitch.tv/zenimaxonlinestudios/v/13275883
Go to 39:49 mark.

Someone asked, "What does clicking on a pinion at a dark anchor actually do? Does it just heal you? Do you get a buff? People seem to think not clicking on them until everything dies gives you better loot... and/or a better chance at generals spawning... is that true?"

Official reply: "I love urban legends that come up from games. They're great. So, we have an answer for you. Interacting with a pinion gives you a buff that boosts damage of all participants by 10 percent for 30 seconds, also restoring resources to full... so your health, your stamina, your magicka. Once all four pinions are interacted, the next stage in the event is triggered. Generals are random, with zones doctored in, in some, and not based on how many monsters you kill. So... urban legend squashed... sorry. But, now you know."

OP Note: In the above quote from the official reply, the text that says, "with zones doctored in, in some" is obsolete as of this writing, because with the implementation of One Tamriel, any general now has the chance to spawn at any dark anchor in Tamriel. Prior to 1T, certain generals would only spawn in certain zones. But now that 1T is out, any general can spawn at any dolmen. Killing all the dark anchor generals awards the in-game achievement General Executioner, which gives a new dye color Daedric Red and a coveted title "Daedric Lord Slayer."

Once in a while, I come across a lone player actively fighting a remote dolmen. Don't know exactly why, but this "know-it-all" lone player usually has very high champion points. As soon as I engage, the player would "instruct" me not to touch any of the pinions. Based on my experience, when you inform the player that it is just a myth and that a ZOS rep has actually dispelled the myth, they get angry and call you a profane name.

Coming up, I'll discuss next week's myth: While there is a thunderstorm happening in-game, all world bosses can be soloed.
  • Mic1007
    Mic1007
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    People will believe ANYTHING to avoid dealing with RNG. But yeah, sometimes you just have to accept that it's random, and there's nothing you can do about it.
    Edited by Mic1007 on October 12, 2016 9:40AM
    @Mic1007
    Champion Rank 900+
    DC/AD/EP
    PC NA

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
  • Berenhir
    Berenhir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have had the same argument OP described. Made me want to teabag that guy alive.

Gonna bookmark this thread for further encounters, thanks a lot.
    PC EU - Ebonheart Pact - Gray Host - Death Recap -#zergfarming -
  • SanderBuraas
    SanderBuraas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why care about someone who gets upset because you don't do as they say?
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Till this very day, some players actually believe in the following myth and they will literally get angry if you don't play along:

MYTH: Always wait to destroy all four anchor pinions at the dolmens (dark anchors) until all waves of mobs are killed first. Doing so will increase the chance of a general to spawn.

My impression is, this started out as a troll, then the base game mechanics changed, and it became possible to satisfy the conditions.

If I remember correctly, back at launch, dolmens wouldn't stop spawning enemies until you activated the pinions, so the whole, "just keep fighting enemies until a general appears," would work to troll newbies. It got patched out very early on, so the Daedra would stop spawning, eventually.

That said, I never heard about this myth until around 1.4 or 1.5, long after the infinite spawning was gone. So it's possible this one popped up later.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Smepic wrote: »

Getting yelled at by 12 angry year olds is annoying?
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Because sharing knowledge of proper game mechanics should be seen as helpful.
  • runningtings
    runningtings
    ✭✭✭
    There is an achievement based on the number of pinions activated, that will be why they tell you not to touch them...
    // DC / EU PC// Garión<< The Black >>
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Based on my experience, when you inform the player that it is just a myth and that a ZOS rep has actually dispelled the myth, they get angry and call you a profane name.

At which point you report them so their ignorance will be removed from Tamriel, at least for a time.
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    A useful explanation for how RNG works

PC/NA ROLLBACKS AND BAN NOTIFICATIONS ANNOUNCEMENT.
  • P3ZZL3
    P3ZZL3
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Could you please revisit the Myth that I've heard that one time, many moons ago, a patch was released and there were NO required bug fixes or breaks that happened.

I mean, I find it hard to believe....but myths are myths....
    CP561 Redguard | Jabsy Templar | Stamina Build
    CP561 Breton | Jesus Beam Templar | Magicka Build Forever!
    CP561 Naked Nord | Tanky DK | Stamigicka Build

✭✭✭ Check ESO Server Status Live!: http://eso.webhub.eu/ ✭✭✭
  • method__01
    method__01
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    u get the achiv at about 180-210 anchors,there is no way generals to spawn earlier that this
    doesnt matter if u destroy all pinions or none
    PC EU/NA /// PS4 EU/NA

• Mic1007
    Mic1007
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    method__01 wrote: »
    u get the achiv at about 180-210 anchors,there is no way generals to spawn earlier that this

It's RNG completely now in One Tamriel.
    @Mic1007
    Champion Rank 900+
    DC/AD/EP
    PC NA

• Dymence
    Dymence
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mic1007 wrote: »

It's RNG completely now in One Tamriel.

One RNG.
  • method__01
    method__01
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    good to know but i did it a while ago,2 days only closing dolmens to get the achiv
    fun times :p
    PC EU/NA /// PS4 EU/NA

• Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I play for a year and never hear that myth until now. I have seen some strange things though, but there are probably due to RNG clustering. For example for a time the Bruma dolmen seemed to have a much higher chance of spawning generals. I did like 10 iteration and got 4 generals, 3 of them that I hadn't killed before. But that was just luck. I actually got Enemy of Coldharbour achievement (250 dolmens cleared) with one general to go, and farmed that in The Rift - back then the spawns were indeed linked to the alliance zones and was one of the last group of 4.
    Edited by Asardes on October 12, 2016 12:31PM
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Nope, it actually doesn't matter. It didn't matter before. When alliance zones were instanced no generals spawned in the 1st alliance zones, one of the first 4 could spawn in the 2nd zones, one of the next 4 could spawn in the 3rd zones etc. And in silver & gold areas in Cyrodiil it has always been purely random, like it is now everywhere. I actually got 15/16 generals by the time I had cleared my 250th anchor that grants the title Enemy of Coldharbour and cleared all anchor locations in Tamriel, which grants the title Savior of Nirn.
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • Mettaricana
    Mettaricana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Went I get called a name for saying pinilns don't matter I pull the pinion anyway may seem dickish but no need for names
  • itehache
    itehache
    ✭✭✭✭
    Now that you mention this topic, I have been doing the dailies from the fighter's guild since 1T launch and I have not yet fought a general :lol: I have some of the achievements previous 1T but you made me think about it. I can't believe I am THAT unlucky hahaha
  • Lord_Wrath
    Lord_Wrath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Arent we glad zos said this the first time around? Oh wait, nvm!
    1300+ CP | Lørd Wrath | - Sorcerer - Palatine - Grand Master Crafter - 30000 Achievement Points
    Launch Player - PC - NA - EP
  • CapnPhoton
    CapnPhoton
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you do it 100 times you get a dark purple dye...
    Xbox One NA Aldmeri Dominion
  • Junipus
    Junipus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    With the changes to dolmens in 1T it's now supposedly easier to get your missing General achievement. Have myself gotten the last two missing Generals within about 10 minutes of each other not long after the patch so if one farms the dolmens enough they should also get any missing Generals fairly quickly.
    The Legendary Nothing
  • SheepdogPaladin
    SheepdogPaladin
    ✭✭✭

Information is a very powerful tool and was the main purpose of the OP.
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Getting yelled at by 12 angry year olds is annoying?

I'm not sure what's worse actually the thought of one angry 12 year old or 12 angry year olds :)

Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We have always had a 10% chance to get a General Spawn, and experience in the game supports that.

There is a new factor in the General Spawns now. According to the patch notes, the game takes note of the Generals you have done and will spawn a general you have not done. What I don't know is, how does this work with multiple players. If there are several players, and each have their own group of generals they have cleared, how does the game determine which general is going to spawn? It is no stretch to say that across the population of players at a dolmen, all generals could have been cleared. So, what happens then? No Generals or a spawn of some random one? I think soloing the dolmens, this mechanic would work much better.

I wonder if this new mechanic will actually lower the general spawn rate due to this confusion if there are lots of players at the dolmen.
    Edited by Nestor on October 12, 2016 9:53PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Abeille
    Abeille
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I got the achievement for the Generals waaaaaay before the one for destroying that many anchors.
    But it was before One Tamriel and I hunt the generals on the low level areas instead of on the veteran areas.
    Just so that everyone knows, my Altmer still can't have black hair. About a dozen of Altmer NPCs in the game have black hair. Just saying.

Meet my characters:
    Command: Do the thing.

Zadarri, Khajiit Fist of Thalmor: The thing was done, as commanded.
    Durza gra-Maghul, Orc blacksmith: The thing was done perfectly, in the most efficient way.
    Tegwen, Bosmer troublemaker: You can't prove I didn't do the thing.
    Sings-Many-Songs, Argonian fisher: Sure, I'll do the thing... Eventually. Maybe.
    Aerindel, Altmer stormcaller: After extensive research, I've come to the conclusion that doing the thing would be a waste of resources.
    Liliel, Dunmer pyromancer: Aerindel said I shouldn't do the thing. Something about "resources".
    Gyda Snowcaller, Nord cryomancer: I will find a way to do it that won't waste resources and make Aerindel proud of me.
    Beatrice Leoriane, Breton vampire: I persuaded someone else into doing the thing. You are welcome, dear.
    Sahima, Redguard performer: Doing the thing sounds awfully unpleasant and really not my problem.
    Ellaria Valerius, Imperial priestess: I'll pray to the Eight for the thing to be done, if it is Their will.