Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

New survey drop rate from writs

• MilwaukeeScott
    MilwaukeeScott
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    helediron wrote: »
    You DON'T need to logout/in. Just run away about 100 meters and back, and the nodes have respawned.

Yep

PS4NA

All I see is hate and rage from people who don't understand how to.....
  • Ilsabet
    Ilsabet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Stacking the surveys would have been a lot more beneficial when we had only a few possible survey maps to receive. Not so useful when surveys can sprawl over dozens of maps.
    Ilsabet Menard - DC Breton Nightblade archer - Savior of Pretty Much Everything, Grand Overlord & Empress Nubcakes
    Katarin Auclair - DC Breton Warden healer & ice mage
    My characters and their overly elaborate backstories
    Ilsabet's Headcanon
    The Adventures of Torbyrn Windchaser - Breaking the Ice & Ashes to Ashes
    PC NA
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I do appreciate that the surveys stack in OT. But, that is somewhat offset by the fact that you can get any survey map now, so you're more likely to end up with a dozen different BS maps that don't stack, than with multiples of each of the 3 Wrothgar BS maps you used to get.
    Edited by Jayne_Doe on October 11, 2016 7:34PM
  • BergisMacBride
    BergisMacBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Update after 8 days of writs:
    • Day 1: 13 equipment writs, 16 alchemy\enchanting writs, 1 survey drop(woodworking)
    • Day 2: 22 equipment writs, 16 alch\ench writs, 1 survey drop (ench)
    • Day 3: 23 equipment writs, 16 alch\ench writs, 5 survey drops (2 BS, 1 each of WW, Cloth and ench)
    • Day 4: 22 equipment writs, 16 alch\ench writs, 9 survey drops (1 WW, 4 Cloth, 2 each of alch\ench)
    • Day 5: 27 equipment writs, 18 alch\ench writs, 7 survey drops (3 BS, 1 WW, 1 alch, 2 ench)
    • Day 6: 28 equipment writs, 18 alch\ench writs, 2 survey drops (1 WW, 1 ench)
    • Day 7: 27 equipment writs, 18 alch\ench writs, 9 survey drops (1 BW, 1 WW, 2 Cloth, 1 alch, 4 ench)
    • Day 8: 27 equipment writs, 18 alch\ench writs, 5 survey drops (2 BS, 1 WW, 3 Cloth)
    325 writs, 39 survey drops, 12% drop rate. I guess that's "OK" for someone like me who compulsively runs daily writs on multiple chars, but would probably be too much RNG for someone who only runs them on 1-2 chars. I'm following my net material gain\loss per week to see how it affects my inventory, but for now I'm inclined to keep doing them, particulary for the tempers(I do notice anecdotally that I am seeing about the same rate of gold tempers dropping). I am only harvesting these surveys once\week given how spread out they are - mine seem to be located all over the place
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    bryanhaas wrote: »

Wait the maps stack? I'm n console but does this mean you can put a stack in your bank pull it up with one character and do all the maps at once? That would be sooooooo much easier if it is now working that way.

@bryanhaas

Sort of. Your old maps will stack, but only for each location (of the 3 original ones). I have no idea how the new maps stack, being that they are in different zones, so the names will be different. With 17 zones having Surveys, that could be 17 slots for each type of survey. Of course I have not gotten a duplicate of any maps yet, as I have just one equipment survey and one enchanting survey. Perhaps someone who does more of the equipment writs can find out. I only do all of them on two characters, and BS on one character
    You DON'T need to logout/in. Just run away about 100 meters and back, and the nodes have respawned.

@helediron @I_killed_Vivec

You don't even need to run that far on some surveys. The BS survey in the middle of Wrothgar you just had to run around the Wayshrine and I doubt that was even 50 Meters from the survey. Basically, you have to break line of sight to the survey to get it to respawn. However for most of them, that is about 100 meters. Not sure how much the view distance setting affects this. Then again, the Alchemy survey on the cliff in Eastern Wrothgar you can go more than 100 Meters away on top of the cliff and it still won't respawn, have to drop down and climb back up.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• helediron
    helediron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »

@helediron @I_killed_Vivec

You don't even need to run that far on some surveys. The BS survey in the middle of Wrothgar you just had to run around the Wayshrine and I doubt that was even 50 Meters from the survey. Basically, you have to break line of sight to the survey to get it to respawn. However for most of them, that is about 100 meters. Not sure how much the view distance setting affects this. Then again, the Alchemy survey on the cliff in Eastern Wrothgar you can go more than 100 Meters away on top of the cliff and it still won't respawn, have to drop down and climb back up.
    The game divides areas into cells. The most accurate description would be that you need to move certain cell distance away. This unlods the survey cell and turning back reloads it. Cells are probably at least 30 meters to contain ability effects within nine cells, and that explains why distance varies.

Wrobel mentioned this cell structure when explaining some combat features.
    On hiatus. PC,EU,AD - crafting completionist - @helediron 900+ cp, @helestor 1000+ cp, @helestar 800+ cp, @helester 700+ cp - Dragonborn Z Suomikilta, Harrods, Master Crafter. - Blog - Crafthouse: all stations, all munduses, all dummies, open to everyone
  • BergisMacBride
    BergisMacBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Nestor wrote: »
    Sort of. Your old maps will stack, but only for each location (of the 3 original ones). I have no idea how the new maps stack, being that they are in different zones, so the names will be different. With 17 zones having Surveys, that could be 17 slots for each type of survey. Of course I have not gotten a duplicate of any maps yet, as I have just one equipment survey and one enchanting survey. Perhaps someone who does more of the equipment writs can find out. I only do all of them on two characters, and BS on one character

The new maps work the same. Each unique survey map will stack, but only with itself. My 2 Wrothgar Clothing II maps stack, but they don't stack with the my Craglorn Clothing II (or any other survey) map. I'm not online now, but I think my writ harvester (he pulls them from the bank once per day) currently has ~ 9 inventory slots devoted to survey maps, some stacked, some single.

• Nidro
    Nidro
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a console Player and my question is:

Now i got about 100 Surveys on my chars spread.

they are all wrothgar Surveys of course.

Will they all be stackable after OT Drops?

Will they all give more mats after OT dropped??!!?!
    Or will they remain as they used to be? :-(

would be very intersting if some people who tested this out would answer this!!

Thanks alot!!
    - Champion Rank 1080 -

Argonian Warden Tank - Never-Fights-Alone
    Highelf Sorcereress - Magicka DD - Dro m'Athra Destroyer
    Highelf Templar - Magicka DD - Dro m'Athra Destroyer
    Imperial Dragonknight - Tank - Dro m'Athra Destroyer
    Khajiit Nightblade - Stamina DD - Dro m'Athra Destroyer
    Redguard Templar - Stamina DD - Dro m'Athra Destroyer
    Darkelf Nightblade - Magicka DD - Voice of Reason
    Imperial Sorcerer - Stamina DD - The Flawless Conquerer
    Redguard Dragonknight - Stamina DD
    Argonian Templar - Healer - Heals-all-Allies -
  • helediron
    helediron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They will stack and they will give more mats. Tested with big pile of Wrothgar maps.

If you opened the writ coffers before patch and had maps left inside, the maps will survive through patch and will open and drop the map into inventory. I recommend to really open every coffer before patch. If you don't open them, they may have the new, lower drop rate of maps.
    Edited by helediron on October 13, 2016 8:22AM
    On hiatus. PC,EU,AD - crafting completionist - @helediron 900+ cp, @helestor 1000+ cp, @helestar 800+ cp, @helester 700+ cp - Dragonborn Z Suomikilta, Harrods, Master Crafter. - Blog - Crafthouse: all stations, all munduses, all dummies, open to everyone
  • Nidro
    Nidro
    ✭✭✭
    I always open the coffers on each character to take ou my tempers/waxes/rosins/kutas :-)
    i just have like 15+ boxes on each character with each 1 Survey inside left.

So they will get stacked after OT and will give more mats than before?
    that would be awesome lol.

- Champion Rank 1080 -

Argonian Warden Tank - Never-Fights-Alone
    Highelf Sorcereress - Magicka DD - Dro m'Athra Destroyer
    Highelf Templar - Magicka DD - Dro m'Athra Destroyer
    Imperial Dragonknight - Tank - Dro m'Athra Destroyer
    Khajiit Nightblade - Stamina DD - Dro m'Athra Destroyer
    Redguard Templar - Stamina DD - Dro m'Athra Destroyer
    Darkelf Nightblade - Magicka DD - Voice of Reason
    Imperial Sorcerer - Stamina DD - The Flawless Conquerer
    Redguard Dragonknight - Stamina DD
    Argonian Templar - Healer - Heals-all-Allies -
  • Bladefyre
    Bladefyre
    As others have mentioned, the survey drop rate is just abysmal. I've one character on which I do 4 writs daily. In 10 days I've received 2 surveys after completing 40 writs (5% drop rate). At this point, the amount of materials consumed to complete the writs far exceeds the rewards from doing so.
  • LadyDestiny
    LadyDestiny
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zero surveys on all my characters.....thank you Zos you rng troll.
  • STEVIL
    STEVIL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Update after 8 days of writs:
    • Day 1: 13 equipment writs, 16 alchemy\enchanting writs, 1 survey drop(woodworking)
    • Day 2: 22 equipment writs, 16 alch\ench writs, 1 survey drop (ench)
    • Day 3: 23 equipment writs, 16 alch\ench writs, 5 survey drops (2 BS, 1 each of WW, Cloth and ench)
    • Day 4: 22 equipment writs, 16 alch\ench writs, 9 survey drops (1 WW, 4 Cloth, 2 each of alch\ench)
    • Day 5: 27 equipment writs, 18 alch\ench writs, 7 survey drops (3 BS, 1 WW, 1 alch, 2 ench)
    • Day 6: 28 equipment writs, 18 alch\ench writs, 2 survey drops (1 WW, 1 ench)
    • Day 7: 27 equipment writs, 18 alch\ench writs, 9 survey drops (1 BW, 1 WW, 2 Cloth, 1 alch, 4 ench)
    • Day 8: 27 equipment writs, 18 alch\ench writs, 5 survey drops (2 BS, 1 WW, 3 Cloth)
    325 writs, 39 survey drops, 12% drop rate. I guess that's "OK" for someone like me who compulsively runs daily writs on multiple chars, but would probably be too much RNG for someone who only runs them on 1-2 chars. I'm following my net material gain\loss per week to see how it affects my inventory, but for now I'm inclined to keep doing them, particulary for the tempers(I do notice anecdotally that I am seeing about the same rate of gold tempers dropping). I am only harvesting these surveys once\week given how spread out they are - mine seem to be located all over the place

i get around 10% rate of surveys from consumable writs too...
    Proudly skooma free while talks-when-drunk is in mandatory public housing.
    YFMV Your Fun May Vary.

First Law of Nerf-o-Dynamics
    "The good way I used to get good kills *with good skill* was good but the way others kill me now is bad."

• STEVIL
    STEVIL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Also one thing, i know the surveys "can" send you to various areas but... i gotta say... easily 90% (really more) of the surveys i have gotten (mostly consumables) have gone to wrothgar/auridon/glenumbra based on where they turned in. Not sure if that means its bugged or if it means "can" doesn't mean "evenly divided between" but far as i can tell with doing 20+ alchemy/ench writs a day earning about 10% surveys from them... its not by any means trekking across all of tamriel regularly. its one survey sight in auridon, one survey site in glenumbra and the three wrothgars stacking up for occasional very efficient harvesting.

Proudly skooma free while talks-when-drunk is in mandatory public housing.
    YFMV Your Fun May Vary.

First Law of Nerf-o-Dynamics
    "The good way I used to get good kills *with good skill* was good but the way others kill me now is bad."

• Amorpho
    Amorpho
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have been doing Writs religiously since day 1, but now I will give them up. I will either farm materials myself or simply buy them together with gold improvement materials. There is just no return whatsoever. I bet I can make up for the lost gold buying all this stuff by simply selling sets items.
    The Gaming Rev
    YouTube channel - https://youtube.com/c/TheGamingRev

Characters

PVE
    Magicka Sorcerer, Altmer - Master Crafter
    Magicka Templar, Altmer
    Magicka Nightblade, Breton
    Stamina Nightblade, Khajiit

PVP
    Magicka Sorcerer, Altmer
    Magicka Templar, Altmer
    Stamina Templar, Orsimer
    Stamina Dragonknight, Dunmer
    Stamina Warden, Orsimer

Aldmeri Dominion - 1700+ CP

XboxOne EU
  • CovertDistress4
    CovertDistress4
    ✭✭✭
    Umm... do I have to respect my crafters down a level in order to get nirncrux? I miss running craglorn for the chance of getting one...I have several, but want more....
  • helediron
    helediron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Umm... do I have to respect my crafters down a level in order to get nirncrux? I miss running craglorn for the chance of getting one...I have several, but want more....
    You don't have to and if you do, it doesn't help. Surveys are now to random places. There is no way to get surveys to some specific location.